Cough

Last Genuine Smile

Sehun’s P.o.V.

I fiddled with my fingers as I raised my head up to the ceiling. See, it was the only choice. I can’t do anything but bear with it.

“Bring her this Saturday, alright?” My mom asked as I murmured a nervous yes. I exhaled a few times after that to ease myself.

I still don’t know if Saerum would agree, but if I have to kneel just for her to approve, I would. For me, in this situation, it would be better to lower my pride--rather than staying with a girl I don’t like forever.

I stood up and turned the television off. I have suddenly lost my interest in the game. After making a few circles around the room, I have decided to sit down the table and get some soda from my fridge.

I guess luck was half on my side, since I suppose my parents would like her. There are three types of girls in our class: The quiet ones, the normal ones, and the famous ones. First, for the quiet ones, I would not like them, since they hate socialization, and my mother does not like that. As for the normal ones, they approach the famous ones, and my father does not like people who run for others. The famous ones, they always think highly of themselves, and they are always conscious about their appeal.

Saerum was not on the three, and I don’t know where she belongs. She was talkative for a minute, and after a while, she would be quiet as a maiden. She does not like someone specifically, and I don’t really know if he likes Chanyeol or not. It’s not my business to think of it. She is smart too, but easily bullied. Confusing.

I have thought of too much for today, and I guess I’ll have to fix things tomorrow. Faking things would be fun, I guess, especially when your pal would be an enemy of yours.

There, I dropped myself on the soft bed and took my slumber.

-

-

-

“Youngmaster, please wake up now. You still have to go to school.”

These sentences alarmed me as I sat down carefully. I stared at the watch, and it shouted four in the morning.

“Too early.” I complained with a hoarse voice. I coughed a few times as the maid guided me.

“Are you alright, youngmaster?” She asked as I nodded and waved my hand. She reached the towel up to my hands as I walked casually down the bathroom to take a bath.

I coughed a few more times before turning the knob. I guess I forgot to drink water after consuming the soda, making my voice harsh.

 

I settled my uniform and took my bag. After doing so, I ruffled my hair a few times in the mirror and went downstairs. My parents called me to eat, and I just followed.

I sat round the table and took some bread and a slice of omellete.

“So, we’re going to meet your girlfriend, huh?” My father asked as I nodded and drank coffee. I tried not making extra movements for them not to notice me lying, and it somehow worked.

“You’re not sure if the two of you would last, you know. You may love her now, but we don’t know if you would still love her for the next years.” My mom muttered as I shook my head and smiled.

“I don’t think I would like the one you are insisting me to marry for the next few years too.” I said and coughed a few times. They shook their heads in response as I asked for medicine from the maids, but they said there were none left. They asked if they should drop by the drugstore, but I just shook my head.

“You didn’t tell us you have one, son. You know, you are too young for that.” He said as I smiled.

“Aniyo. I really really really really really really like her.” I said with a kiddy smile and stood up. I prayed for thanksgiving and bowed at my parents. Then, I bid my farewell to them. Although it may seem weird and out of character, I respect them very much. For my attitude, it really is strange for me to still have respect for them, since I am the one in charge of bullying at my school.

I held my throat and entered the campus. As a second passes, it is starting to swell more. I feel like having a fever. I’m afraid of it, though, since I would be making a great plan on the foundation day.

“Sup dude.” Chanyeol greeted me along with the members.  I nodded at them and took my seat.

We chatted for a while, and I just smiled when they laughed, since I can feel my throat swelling more. After a few minutes more, the other section came and everyone started practicing. The teachers were not present at the meantime, since they told us to be independent. They said for a bunch of times they were settling a few matters for the event, and all of us just nodded in response.

The gang started practicing too, since their lines were somehow funny, and their roles were thieves. They are shouting “Pass it to me” and such, unlike mine, stuck in medieval time. I envy them, of course. But it would be fun teasing Saerum on the lines.

 My classmates have started to practice a few lines as three girls lined up for me.

“Do you want to practice with us, oppa?“ One asked as I shook my head.

“Your oppa has cold today, and I’m afraid I can’t. I’m really sorry.” I answered with a worried look on my face. Actually, I love getting people’s sympathy and love. I remember once that I had a cast because of some injuries, and I kept showing them to people. They were really worried, but my injury was not severe. Let’s just say it makes me happy.

“Is that so? Then let me take care of you!” Another said as I shook my head.

“No, oppa’s alright. You could practice for our foundation day, don’t waste your time here.” I said as they stared at me in admiration. After a few moments, they went back, much to my relief.

I read my lines around again as I felt a mass come towards me.

“I heard your throat is not good. Are you alright?” A voice asked. It was Saerum.

I scribbled a few letters on my notebook and showed it to her.

It shouts ’none of your business’.

“Yes, it is. The play’s next week, and you have to participate. I am not concerned of you. I am concerned of the foundation day. Don’t think highly of yourself, alright? Bear in mind that we still are enemies.” She said and sat down beside me.

“Now, do you feel that your throat is swelling?” She asked as I rolled my eyes and placed my palm on my cheek. It really was none of her business, and she keeps bossing around me. Although it’s annoying, at least, I got her attention.

“Answer me, babo.” She said as I just nodded.

“Do you feel like having a fever?” She asked again as I nodded.

“Colds?” She asked as I nodded.

She stood up and took her bag on the chair far away from where I am sitting, and went back. She opened it up and took some medicine. She reached it for me as I took it. I wrote again on my notebook and showed it to her.

“I can’t swallow tablets. I just drink syrup.” It said.

She laughed and stared at me. I can’t believe that I am talking casually with her like we’re not enemies.

“Jinja? You’re a teenager already!” She said as I just shook my head in defeat. Then, she took the tablet and asked me to open my mouth. I shook my head and raised my hands in defense, but I guess she was not struck by it.

“Say aaaah.” She said as I shook my head again. There, she held my jaws tightly as my gaze drifted on her eyes. I flustered for a while, but my thoughts were interrupted when she placed the tablet on my tongue.

I frowned with the tablet’s taste and stared at her with a disbelief look. She just chuckled and took a water jar from her bag. I don’t have one, since I’m too lazy to handle one.

I wrote immediately on the notebook, since I can feel my taste getting bitter. I have noticed that a few of my classmates are now staring at us. I can’t help but smile, and I don’t know what the reason is.

Is the water clean?” I wrote.

“Distilled.” She said as I nodded. I feel spitting the tablet up, but she stared at me and shook her head. I snatched the water jar and drank from it immediately. But before I knew it, I have already consumed the tablet.

“See?” Saerum asked as I nodded in defeat.

“Practice.” She said and stood up. She was prepared to go back on her spot, but I stopped her.

“Practice with me.” I said with a low voice as a few murmurs aroused.

Oppa’s asking her to practice with him?

Seriously?

She took her hand away and stared at me again.

“Practice by yourself.” She said as I shook my head.

“I….can’t.” I said and smiled at her.