Crystal Clear

Last Genuine Smile

The play went better than I had anticipated—not just with the overall performance but also with the collaboration between Chanyeol and me. I said nothing much to him, and it seemed that he did not want to talk.

The day ended with a bonfire to celebrate the spirit of the school. The whole batch came dressed promptly, with the girls wearing dresses and the boys wearing vests. I wore a dress, of course, as I would be obvious I were to wear differently. They also played different songs to catch with the atmosphere as the students dance either together or in pairs.

I sat beside the drinks as I want my friends to enjoy the night. I saw a few of them, including Chen and Xiumin, confess to the girl they adore. I laughed, recalling that a few days ago they asked me for gift ideas and dialogues. I watched them dance shyly. They twirled and talked and smiled at each other. I observed them with somewhat an envious stare. I would have loved to experience something like that, but I render it useless as everything would be temporary.

“Will you take the dance I am offering?” Luhan asked as I chuckled.

“Are you pressuring me?” He laughed as I took his hand.

We went near the bonfire and dance. We talked about various things—cartoons, idols, and more. I suppose it took us two songs before we returned to our respective seats.

     Two men asked me to dance after that. I do not know them well, but I know that they felt pity towards me as my first dance was Luhan.

     “Can I have this dance?” Sehun asked next. I never really expected him to do so but I supposed he would be discussing something with me.

     “I want to say that I will be cancelling your meeting with my parents.” He said, smiling.

     “I suppose you conducted a wonderful family discussion? Family  discussions are very important, you see. I think it must not be taken lightly. Or perhaps you fell for the girl?” I asked.

     “Both, I think. They switched my fiancée with someone else. She’s pretty, smart, and all.” I smiled, looking at his face. I congratulated him. This is the first time that I would see Sehun looking delighted with everything happening.

     “I wish to ask something.” He asked.

     “Will you accept my friendship? I think this is too much, but I think you would really create a good one. I know my friends have been giving you a hard time. They have been treating you in an incomprehensible manner—especially Chanyeol. You wouldn’t know if we’re friends or enemies, but as for me, I would like to make everything clear.”       

     I stared at him, somewhat puzzled, but I provided an assured look. I approved of his statement, but as the other person, I also formally requested for his friendship, by which he also accepted. We talked after that for a while, with me joking that perhaps this is their trap for me, which he denied sincerely.

     Chanyeol danced with me after that. We never spoke of anything but he asked me to talk later in the evening.

     I came home light-hearted and away from all of the burdens. I learned a lot this day—Sehun had the prettiest resolve in their group, Chanyeol was somewhat elusive in his ways, and many more.

     I went to my room to remove my watch when I heard Chanyeol uttering my name softly to see if I was there. I opened the door and saw him sitting on a chair he prepared by his balcony. I dragged a chair in response and propped myself.

     “I want to talk about everything that had transpired since the previous quarter.”

     “Your grades have been declining.” I said.

     “I’m sorry.”

     “I don’t think I’m the right person for that apology. I shall start first.” I said.

     “I understand that you had no close friends except me for all these years. I also understand that you wanted to open up to other people to learn more about yourself. I also understand that it is your way, as a boy, to search for your way to be a man. But you have proven yourself for years—academically. Not just that but with regards to your visual appeal and other factors. However, is this your way to defy and say the bad things you have not before to me? I do not understand.”

     “I have been very confused with myself lately—I am aware that sometimes I treat you as the Chanyeol I was before, and sometimes I treat you as the Chanyeol today. I wish for your apology. I have been trying and struggling but I can’t seem to find the way out. I want to break out of my shell and do the things I have not done before.”

     “Namely getting a girlfriend and getting bad influence?”

     “I’m sorry, but you seem to be misinterpreting me. I do not have a girlfriend.”

     “Who was the person with you when I was waiting for thirty minutes in the lobby? Why do you always humiliate me in front of your friends? The friends with you right now—don’t they disgrace me in front of almost everyone?”

     “That was Suho’s sister. Suho cannot go because he will be visiting his parents, therefore he asked me to take her home. As for the bad influence, I know I cannot say anything against that. That was correct.”

     “I think that’s all for today.” I concluded.

     “Wait.”

     “Can we go to the park on Saturday? Like the usual one?”