Annyeonghi Gaseyo

Last Genuine Smile

I stretched my arms as I looked at my window. A lovely day, it is. I can see the butterflies roaming around the terrace. My name is Kang Saerum, a highschool girl, but I would love to be called a lady, being a girl fond of mystery novels.

"Saerum~" a deep yet sweet voice was heard. I drifted my gaze outside, only to see my childhood friend and classmate, Chanyeol smile at me. I have been seeing that smile everyday. But I never cease to search for it. I have a liking on him, but I was afraid to admit it.

"Channie! Annyeong!" I said as I walked towards the terrace. I looked downwards; I am on the second floor of our house, where my room is located. I stared back at him as he walked near me, on the balcony of his room, just across mine.

I held the wooden railings of the terrace as I had my morning chat with him.

"How are you?" I asked as he nodded.

"I'm fine, and I guess you are too. Or am I wrong?" he asked with a smile. I shook my head and returned his bright smile.

"Yes, you're right."

"Uhm....since it's Saturday, the usual..er..." he said as I chuckled. I cannot help but laugh at his nervousness.

"We're 14, and doing the same thing since we're children. You're still awkward with me asking that. Of course, let's bike at the park." I invited as he nodded obediently.

I took a bath for a while and dressed up. After that, cascaded down the staircase as my parents welcomed me. My dad is currently reading a newspaper while having his morning coffee, and my mom who is chatting with him turned their gazes at me.

"Good morning! With Chanyeol again?" they said in a teaseful manner.

"Yes." I said politely with a nod. They smirked and looked at me.

"No, we're just friends, and it won't happen, ever." I answered as they laughed.

I grabbed my helmet just exactly a doorbell was heard. I opened it only to see Chanyeol. He bowed at my parents as I waved at them.

"Annyeong." Both of us said and closed the door.

I unlocked the chain on my bike as I rode it. Chanyeol did too. We followed the road down the park with laughs, chatters, screams, and such.

We paused at the park and chained our bikes up.

"Let's go~" he said as I nodded. We walked around, just like the usual.  

"Wait for me." he said as I nodded. After a while, he came back with two ice creams on his hands.

"For you." he said and beamed his ever-loving smile at me.

"Thanks." I said and patted his shoulder.

"You know, although we have been doing this same old routine for years, it never spoils the happiness that flows in me." he narrated as I nodded in agreement.

"Yes. Same here." I answered as we walked along.

"Ah, do you know the new show? The Red Moon?" he asked as I nodded.

"Yes! It's awesome." I said as the two of us laughed.

"Our likes and dislikes really are the same." he said as I nodded.

"Yeah."

--------------------------

Chanyeol's P.o.V.

We went back at our houses at seven, in the morning, of course. We drifted off at six, and spent almost one hour.

"About the homework." I said and faced her before she went back to her house. She gave me a questioning look as I continued my statement.

"Could we work on it together?" I asked.

"Eh? You could do it yourself. You're smart enough." she said.

"And so are you. I don't wanna make mistakes." I teased as she laughed.

"Me too." she answered.

"At our house, after lunch, I think?" I asked as she nodded.

"Alright." she said and went back. 

Although she does not realize it, I have a crush on her since we're kids.

I opened our door as my parents welcomed me.

"Aigoo. Our Chanyeol's growing up!" my father, cheerful as ever, teased. I made a small frown as I smiled at him.

"It's nothing." I said politely and smiled. My mother, who was cooking, looked at me as a smile crept on her face.

"At our house, after lunch, I think?" my mother depicted my words.

"Eh?! You eavesdropped?!" I shouted.

"Your voice is too loud for us to hear."

"I sense a lie there, mom." I said.

-----

"You forgot to transpose." Saerum said as I nodded.

"Yeah. Sorry." I said as she chuckled.

"I hope our bonding stays the same. I saw a few boys luring around and influencing others." she said, still focused at her notes.

"It will."

"I have one request."

"What is it?"

"Don't be like them."

"Alright, alright."

-------

Saerum's P.o.V.

I was walking down the street with Chanyeol clinging onto me. I just smiled at him as we reached the gates. We entered and scanned our RFID's. We greeted our teachers good morning as they smiled at us.

I took my seat as Chanyeol took his.

"Hey, sup, Chanyeol?" a boy asked and approached him. Being the open-minded boy he is, he answered politely.

"Fine. How are you?" he asked casually.

"Good morning, class." the teacher said as we stood up and greeted him back.

---

Lunch

"Saerum. I'm afraid I cannot join you in lunch. I'm going with them." he said  as he pointed at a bunch of boys at the back. 

Although it pains me to hear it, I just nodded in understanding. He has not got any friends except me before. It is natural that I should let him socialize. It's not for me to mess with.

"Alright." I said and smiled at him. I stood up and exchanged my money into canteen chips. I bought my food as I sat down on an empty table.

"Chanyeol must have left her."

"Let's join her." 

"Hello, I'm Jane and she's Mary. Your name's Jane, is it not?" they asked as I nodded.

"Hello! Nice meeting you. Yes, my name is Jane." I answered politely.

"Could we?" they asked as they pointed at the chairs. I nodded happily.

They asked on why Chanyeol did not join me, and I explained it honestly.

"Is that so?"

"It's not good leaving a girl hanging, you know."

"It's alright. I understand him." I said as they nodded. I gripped at my spoon as I felt something being thrown at me. I looked around as I saw a paper ball.

I searched  for the source and found 

Chanyeol, with his so-called gang.

He looked at me apologetically as I nodded in understanding. I smiled back and continued eating.

"That's mean." they said.

"It's alright. I was not harmed by it." I smiled.

"You're so patient, Saerum-sshi. Could we be friends?" the two of them asked.

"Of course!" I said cheerfully.

---

Dismissal.

"Saerum, sorry. I cannot join you in going home. And I'm sorry for what had happened a while ago. They said that I should throw a paper ball at you, and I was forced to."

"No, it's alright. Go ahead. Do good, okay? Don't hurt others." I said as he smiled back.

"Alright. Annyeong! Saranghae."

"Annyeong! Nado~"

This statement exchange has been normal to us, as friends. I fixed my locker as Chanyeol hurried outside.

No, it is not alright. You're being influenced, Chanyeol. Stop it. Please.

These thoughts were locked in my mind as his figure faded away. I just closed my eyes and hoped for the good.