NEWS

Cinderella's Step Brother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]FORTY-ONE[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2][/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

 

 

Jun Mi woke up weakly as she felt a tongue her salty face. She slowly fluttered her eyes to see an up close view of Bacon's happy face -- mouth open, tongue out, wagging tail.

 

How did he---? Jun Mi didn't continue her question when the door of the room she's in opened. The door widened more until a figure appeared by the frame. It was Eun Byul.

 

"Hey," Eun Byul greeted as Jun Mi propped herself on the bed.

 

"Hey," Jun Mi replied with a weak sleepy smile on her face. Eun Byul sat on the edge of the bed Jun Mi was on after placing Breakfast-In-Bed tray on top of Jun Mi's lap. Eun Byul then took Bacon in her hands, caressing the energetic dog's head.

 

"How did," Jun Mi gulped, not wanting to say the dog's name -- which is, or rather was, her nickname for a certain person -- for she was reminded of that person. Yes, she was holding a grudge at the boy. But, she has an acceptable reason to.

 

Eun Byul noticed her best friend's hesitation. She also knew very well that Jun Mi always calls the Byun boy 'Bacon'. She remembered the time when she slept over at Baekhyun's before the ball; before the drama; before the kiss; before everything that is happening now.

 

Eun Byul and Jun Mi sat on the floor of Jun Mi's bedroom, all clean and ready to go to bed. As they were about to say their 'Good Nights' and sleep, the puppy -- named Bacon -- barged in the room, its tail wagging and tongue hanging.

 

"Awww... Bacon is so cute~!" Eun Byul took the puppy in her arms as she cuddled with it.

 

"Bacon reminds me a lot of that jerk." Jun Mi confessed as she sat beside her best friend before patting the puppy's head.

 

"Baekhyun-ssi?!" Eun Byul took a look at the puppy. Realization dawned upon her that Bacon the puppy and Bacon the human had a surprising similarity. "Oh! You're right! Daebakk!"

 

Jun Mi giggled, "I know right! They're both cute, that's why Bacon reminds me a lot of Byunnie Baekhyunie."

 

Eun Byul just smiled instead of commenting as she watched her best friend girl-ish-ly giggle. She has never seen this girly side in Jun Mi. Heck, she was almost beaten up by her best friend when they tried out some dresses. But seeing Jun Mi act like this because of Baekhyun, it made Eun Byul happy. It even made her think that Jun Mi loves Baekhyun too much.

 

"Uh, this little fella right here," Eun Byul pointed Bacon, "Was delivered here by the maid." She explained, making sure not to say any name but, at the same time, not be rude (like name-calling)

 

"Oh..." Jun Mi sighed in both relief and disappointment. She was relieved because 'he' didn't bring 'it'. But she was also disappointed for the same reason behind being relieved. She was also very much thankful to her best friend in not asking any question about 'this' and not making her remember 'him'.

 

Eun Byul bit her lip as she tried to find a topic to discuss with, but she was obviously failing.

 

"You can leave me alone now, Eun Byul-ah... I can eat my breakfast alone." Jun Mi flashed another weak but fake smile. She was guilty about faking it, especially in front of her best friend, but she didn't want show her best friend either that she was sad, hurt, every-opposite of the word 'blissful'.

 

Eun Byul reluctantly left Jun Mi on their house's guest room. She closed the door silently and slowly, following every immobile movements Jun Mi was making.

 

Once Jun Mi was sure that Eun Byul was no longer spying on her, her fake smile would turn upside down into a real frown. She watched soullessly as her puppy tried comforting her. The girl smiled weakly, but taints of sadness lacing along the curve on her lips. Jun Mi pushed aside the breakfast served before taking the puppy in her arms. "Komawapta, puppy-ssi."

 

She sighed, "I guess you’re nameless again. I'm sorry."

 

Jun Mi stared at the puppy for a long time. As she stared even longer, a familiar face made its way to the girl's mind. She stopped staring when she felt her eyes tear up and quickly let a streak of tear flow gracefully on her cheek. At each passing second, the speed and quantity rate of the saline falling out of Jun Mi's eyes quickened and multiplied. What used to be petty tear falls, turned into an uncontrollable fall. What used to be a sob, turned into a cry.

 

Jun Mi didn't understand any of it. Why am I crying?! Why am I yearning for him? To see, feel, hear, and smell him? After that incident, why can't I just forget him? Why am I not getting angry at him? Why am I regretting? Why...

 

She muffled her cries with her knees which were propped up as she hugged them tightly. Jun Mi's claws were scratching her flesh lightly. She was frustrated as she kept on asking why she wasn't feeling anger towards 'him'.

 

The rest of the morning, she continued crying. She thought that she wouldn't cry anymore because she had used up all of it last night-day, but she was proven wrong.

 

Meanwhile her currently-unnamed puppy lay down, its eyes looking sadly at its master's pitiful state.

 

###

 

Jun Mi forced herself to not cry that she even attempted punching herself lightly. She slowly ate her cold breakfast that she pushed aside before crying.

 

Once Jun Mi has finished the meal, she went out of the guest room to fix herself especially her freshly tear-stained face. The only bathroom in the Kim's house was the one downstairs. Mr. And Mrs. Kim thought that not building a bathroom inside each bedroom would prevent anyone from having a life of their own in the small bedrooms.

 

The opening and closing of the door made a sound that resonated through the area, specifically through Eun Byul's room. The said girl perked up when she heard the sound. She was positively sure that Jun Mi opened and closed the door since she and Jun Mi were the only ones occupying the floor area.

 

Before Eun Byul could take a peek of Jun Mi, the latter has already gone inside the bathroom. The searching girl sighed. I feel so sorry for Jun.

 

Eun Byul went back in her room and plumped in her fluffy bed. She let the bed engulf almost whole of her body, wanting to let her stress -- due to her best friend's idle behavior -- sink in with her body. She reached out for her phone and dialed the number under the name 'Sweet'.

 

She waited for the reply and after 3 rings, the person from the other line replied with a low-voiced "Yoboseyo?"

 

"Sweet...." Eun Byul whined through the phone. "I feel so sorry for Jun Mi~ Eotokke~?"

 

"Don't worry, Sweet, everything will work out eventually..." Chanyeol bit his bottom lip from the other line. He, too, is worried about what's happening between his girlfriend's best friend -- Choi Jun Mi -- and his best friend -- Byun Baekhyun.

 

"Oh, I hope so. I don't like seeing my best friend like this." Eun Byul stated.

 

"Me, too." Silence followed after those words. The couple was just worrying too much about Baekhyun and Jun Mi.

 

"I think I just heard Jun Mi enter her room. I'll try talking to her about Baek. Call ya later Yeol." Eun Byul stated.

 

"Okay, I'll try talking to Baek too. Bye Sweet, love you." Chanyeol smiled. Yes, the situation happening right now -- especially between their best friends -- were heavy and rough, but it doesn't mean that can't at least tell his girl friend how much he loves her, genuinely loves her.

 

Eun Byul smiled as well as she reciprocated the three words that meant a lot to her; to Park Chanyeol; and probably also between Jun Mi and Baekhyun. "I love you too, Park Chanyeol." And with that, she ended the call and threw her phone away to go to Jun Mi.

 

Meanwhile, Chanyeol dialed Baekhyun's number. He held his phone close his elf-like ears. Multiple rings rang against his ear, but no response from the Byun boy came. The giant attempted a few more calls, but these were still unanswered by the Byun boy.

 

Chanyeol groaned and scoffed as he lay down on the couch he was on abruptly. "What a cliché move, Byun Baekhyun."

 

In another house, Baekhyun was sitting at the edge of his bed, pulling his hair out in frustration. He can hear his phone ringing as well as vibrating beside him, probably just one of his friends -- EXO or Eun Byul -- calling to ask about what the hell was happening right now.

 

Baekhyun didn't know why as well, or rather he didn't want to tell anyone why. He accepted that he was wrong, but he didn't want his friends to know the sin he did. Yes, it was a sin. He was tempted to power his lust with anger, anger at himself.

 

The Byun boy kept pulling out his hair. For the nth time, the familiar ringtone rang out from his phone. He got irritated. He wanted time to think; a quiet time to think, not a place where his favorite song would be blasted out continuously and consistently.

 

Baekhyun wanted so bad to just turn off his phone and just shut out the world for once. But he didn't want to appear mean. He's aware that by ignoring his friends' calls were mean. But if he was to turn off his phone and that his friends would hear from the recorded electronic voice stating that 'The person you are calling is out of coverage area', he would appear like he was pushing away the people who were trying to help him and, probably, his woman -- Choi Jun Mi. Baekhyun appreciates EXO and Eun Byul's efforts in fixing this mess. But right now, he just wants to have time for himself and reflect on how much of a heartless and shameless jerk he is.

 

"I'm so sorry, Choi Jun Mi." Baekhyun talked to himself, letting a tear slip down his scrunched up face. The saline drop of solution streaming down one of his cheeks surprised the boy. Unlike Jun Mi, Baekhyun never tears up with low reasons. He hasn't cried even after his father died; after his brother resented him; after his mother sent him away cruelly; after he lived alone in the small building he has been calling as 'home' for several of years. And now, he was crying after Jun Mi unofficially ended the relationship.

 

Baekhyun wanted so much to ask Jun Mi if they were over; if she still likes him; if she still loves him. But Baekhyun thought that like him, Jun Mi needs time for herself as well.

 

Another tear rolled on his face, until they continuously flowed down -- tear after tear. He continued crying, even if he was acting like an un-cool boy; like a hurt girl; like an abandoned baby. Eventually, his cried lulled him to sleep in his silk bed -- half of the boy's brain bothered and filled with Jun Mi saying versions of the-three-words to him: You're a jerk; I love you; you disgust me; I hate you.

 

###

 

Eun Byul went inside her room after her brief, but informative, visit from Jun Mi. She felt guilty, forcing answers from her best friend although the latter didn't want to. Half of Eun Byul wanted to punch herself for acting terribly towards Jun Mi. But half of her was glad and relieved that she finally knew what was happening.

 

Eun Byul was hesitant in whether she will knock on the door opening up to where Jun Mi is.

 

After a few minutes of deciding, Eun Byul went with her just-barge-in option. This startled Jun Mi -- who had tears falling continuously down her face. Crying was clearly visible in the latter's face; fresh tears standing by her red cheeks; eyes were equally puffy, red and glistening; her lips almost bleeding -- probably biting it to prevent her crying sounds to be heard by Eun Byul.

 

"Alright, Jun Mi. Enough is enough. Tell me why you are crying!?" Eun Byul shouted, for she was growing frustrated. Meanwhile, Jun Mi flinched.

 

"Why!? Just tell me why Choi Jun Mi! Because, you know what? I'm -- we're -- freaking frustrated of you and Baekhyun's unresponsive replies!" Eun Byul shook Jun Mi,, which somewhat irritated the latter.

 

"Fine! I'll tell you! If you're all so damn frustrated about this!" Jun Mi raged, pushing away her best friend hardly.

 

"Look, I'm sorry if you're all frustrated and stuff, but I can assure you that my case is worse than you. One moment I was enjoying every passing second dancing through slow love songs with," Jun Mi gulped, "with that boy, then the next thing I knew is that one of my male friends confesses to me -- mind you, sealing it with a kiss -- on-spotlight in front of the whole student body; in front of him. Then, I took every ounce in my body to run towards that boy to find out that he's having some steamed up with the school's queenka; the school's ty . Forgive me for my harsh words, Eun Byul-ah. But as you can see, I'm just ing frustrated about this. Probably even more than you guys. I really appreciate the help you guys are offering, but please just leave me be for a while." Jun Mi finished, the tears continuously flowing down her cheeks -- eventually dropping from her chin to the fabric of her pajama pants.

 

Eun Byul's expression turned from frustration to pity. She went closer her best friend before pulling Jun Mi into a comforting hug.

 

Jun Mi wanted to continue being mean -- just as she did a while ago (shouting at her best friend) -- but she felt like she was abusing things too much. She let her guards down and just shamelessly cried on her best friend’s shoulder, appreciating the comfort Eun Byul was receiving.

 

"Why..." Jun Mi mumbled -- her question muffled by her crying gasps. She held on tighter to her best friend, wrinkling the back of Eun Byul's shirt. "Why did he have to do that? Why didn't he just wait for my explanation? Why am I still crying and feeling frustrated over him? Why does he keep invading my mind? Why, no matter how many times I've tried so hard, can't I get mad or angry at him? Why, Eun Byul? Why?" After that, Jun Mi didn't talk anymore and just let herself cry in Eun Byul's motherly hug.

 

###

 

The next day, Jun Mi woke up with puffy and red eyes. Eun Byul could have sworn that her best friend's state -- especially the eyes -- were worse than before.

 

Eun Byul, while taking a sip at her cereals, watched Jun Mi sleazily make her way to one of the chairs in the dining room -- looking all groomed up and ready for school.

 

Jun Mi was still going to school despite her state and the 99% possibility that rumors would fly through the school's atmosphere. She knew too well -- according to fictional stories she has read -- that whenever a character was depressed about his/ her problems, they would skip school, rebel, ignore eating, use drugs, etc. Jun Mi was smart enough to do those things; she was 'Ms. Second Placer' after all.

 

Jun Mi stared blankly on the utensils presented in front of her, her eyes growing blanker after remembering that nickname; the nickname a certain boy gave her; the nickname that made her that certain boy for a long period of time but ended up feeling the opposite as the time passed by (which eventually leads to this situation).

 

The girl's thoughts were interrupted when she heard Mrs. Kim shriek with the words "What happened to you, Jun Mi dear? You look like your eyes have been bitten by thousands of cockroaches!"

 

Jun Mi smiled twisted-ly, making the girl across her -- who has been watching Jun Mi's actions intently -- flinch in slight horror. "I guess so, Mrs. Kim."

 

"Omo, pesky insects! Wait here dear, I'll just get some medicine for the swells." Mrs. Kim started fiddling with her apron so that she can freely search for the first aid box, until Jun Mi spoke again.

 

"Oh, no thank you Mrs. Kim. It'll go away eventually." Jun Mi reassured, Yeah, It'll go. In a week or so, probably.

 

"A-are you sure dear? It doesn't seem like those bite would immediately wear off." Mrs. Kim asked in concern. Meanwhile her daughter sighed in relief as she finished her cereals. Eun Byul was thankful that her mother was thick enough to not notice that Jun Mi had been crying relentlessly.

 

"She'll be fine umma. Alright, we're going to school now. See ya." Eun Byul gulped a glass full of water, slung her bag on one of her shoulders, and then dragged Jun Mi away from the house.

 

The two teenagers heard Mrs. Kim shout the words "Take care you two!", at them. Somehow, this made Jun Mi smile and feel warm. Even though she had some twisted problems on her hands, someone still wanted her to be safe.

 

Eun Byul cleared , gaining Jun Mi's attention. "I'm sorry about yesterday. I didn't mean to --"

 

Jun Mi shushed her best friend, "Nah, It's alright. I'm kinda glad I told someone my problem. I'm also sorry for shouting at you yesterday. It was just a spur of the moment kind of thing" Jun Mi shrugged, her voice sounding hoarser in Eun Byul's ears.

 

"You should have just told us sooner. That Baekhyun's a jerk!" Eun Byul scoffed but stopped when she saw Jun Mi flinch -- specifically when she stated out the boy's name.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I won't speak his name anymore." Eun Byul pursed her lips and furrowed her brows. She actually praised Jun Mi for being a tough girl -- going to school despite her situation. But what she didn't expect was that strong motive of Jun Mi to just crumble down at the mere mention of a certain boy's name. If that was her reaction with a petty name, what would her reaction be when she remembers or even have a teeny bit of contact with the boy?

 

Jun Mi kept silent. She would be lying if she said that she was okay hearing the boy's name. She has sworn to herself not to call Baekhyun by his given names. Instead she would just label him as 'the/that certain boy'.

 

The two best friend's walk towards their school was pretty much awkward and silent. Not even a word slipped from the oh-so-talkative Kim Eun Byul. Jun Mi appreciated her best friend for sacrificing not being noisy for a while for her demand for total silence. Jun Mi was glad that Eun Byul was with her, even though no sound was exchanged. Somehow, the mute sounds comforted Jun Mi to the extent that she almost forgot what happened.

 

But, how could she? When the images of that certain boy, fondling and the s of the ally queenka, would run through her memories; the memories that becomes spoiled once that certain vivid image appears; the memories that she vowed to treasure the most.

 

Tears threatened to fall off her eyes when she remembered a recent memory when a purple-haired boy smiled at her warmly and then promised to never leave her side. Jun Mi bit her lip, as she prevents a hurting whimper escape her chapped lips. She quickly blinked away the hot tears. Fortunately, she succeeded in preventing herself from crying.

 

No matter how hard she tried to assure herself that her tears should be dry and used up by now, they would eventually form up -- as if to say that she has an unlimited supply of tear-providing liquid inside her.

 

She stared at the ground even more, her vision getting blurred by the remaining water at the brim of her eyes. Jun Mi managed to smile a bit. She was somewhat glad that none of them -- her and the certain purple-haired boy -- officially called off their relationship. So, they are practically still unofficially official.

 

Jun Mi felt someone tap her shoulders. She looked up to see Eun Byul smiling at her, "We're here."

 

Jun Mi's breath hitched. They are here, standing in front of the open gates of the school. She gulped. Am I going to see him? What will I do if so? What about Kyungsoo-ssi? Is the whole school talking about it now?

 

The girl took a deep breath before entering the school grounds -- Eun Byul walking beside her reassuringly.

 

Jun Mi's guesses weren't wrong about the whole school knowing. As soon as she stepped on the campus ground, eyes turned to her direction. The eyes would eventually turn away and murmur something to someone else.

 

Jun Mi was honestly bothered by the hushed whispers and buzzing, but she chose to not even mind all of these. She continued walking, head held normally. Her eyes would catch some glares, others were meaningful glances. She could probably tell who's on which side.

 

Jun Mi wasn't a big fan of taking sides, but she was glad that at least some took her side.

 

Other people sided with Baekhyun, saying that DO and Jun Mi betrayed him. Most of the people in this side were the boy's trusty fan girls.

 

Others sided with Jun Mi, saying that Baekhyun didn't even give her a chance to explain.

 

If Jun Mi were to choose a side, she wouldn't choose any. Neither she nor Baekhyun were right. No one knew what was really going on. To her, their sides were just petty opinions; a kind of gambling and betting -- choosing a side and then decided which side would win with a terrible consequence for the losing side.

 

Jun Mi continued entering the main building -- her eyes stuck on the floor beneath her so that she can avoid the other people's stares.

 

As she walked by the hallway, Jun Mi had a small hope that she would run into the certain boy. But her hopes were crushed when she heard a group of people gossiping about Jun Mi being the reason behind Baekhyun's absence. The girl slightly slumped her shoulders as she went on with her day.

 

The whole day wasn't as bad as she expected.  The students were still, undoubtedly, gossiping about the incident. But overall, the people just ignored her. Jun Mi was glad that no one even bothered approaching her.

 

She and Eun Byul were together for the rest of the day. During break time, the two girls ate with EXO. Jun Mi sighed in relief and disappointment for Baekhyun wasn't with his friends. It appears that the said boy was really absent.

 

Chanyeol scoffed upon hearing the news, "First, he doesn't pick up any of our calls. Now, he doesn't appear to anyone. What's next?"

 

DO heard Chanyeol's words. He walked at the far end behind the group with Kai beside him. "They don't hate you, hyung. You're distancing yourself too much."

 

DO bit his lip. They really don't hate me? He felt really guilty, taking the chance to confess to her then stealing a kiss. Jun Mi's in a relationship -- with his friend Byun Baekhyun, I might add. He felt like dying. It was bad enough that he thought Baekhyun and Jun Mi were beyond angry at him. DO hoped that his friends weren't mad at him, too. Kai's words were somewhat relieving to hear, but guilt still weighed everything down.

 

###

 

When the school bell rang, everyone raced outside -- as usual. The only thing different from before was the constant glares, or glances, and murmurs from the students. Jun Mi sighed, deciding to ignore everything else from the start of the day.

 

The girl slung her bag weakly while her best friend plainly and normally approached her. Eun Byul bit her lip as she observed Jun Mi's unusually stoic expression. "Hey, Jun Mi-ah..."

 

Jun Mi looked up at Eun Byul before plastering a small smile on her lips. Eun Byul saddened when she felt the emptiness emitting from Jun Mi's smile. "What is it Byul?"

 

"Oh, uh, I was going to a bubble tea shop nearby. I kinda am insisting that you come with me. I hope that I'm not forcing you too much." Eun Byul bit her lip.

 

"Oh, that's okay. I'm willing to come anyway. I could use some Blueberry Flavored Bubble Tea" Jun Mi smiled, this time showing off appreciation and gratefulness in it.

 

Eun Byul bit her lips as she dragged Jun Mi away. This girl has no idea which shop we're going to.

 

They were about to exit the school grounds, still receiving meaningful stares from the crowd, when a shrilly voice shouted Jun Mi's name -- making the two best friend turn around.

 

Jun Mi wasn't really expecting a slap from across her cheek. She stood there -- dumbstruck and mouth agape. The next thing she knew was that she felt her hair being tugged, rather roughly, in all kinds of direction.

 

She was quickly snapped out of her daze when she heard shouts around her. One of them was her best friend -- Kim Eun Byul -- who kept on saying incoherent words.

 

"YOU'RE SUCH A ! HOW DARE YOU STEAL MY BAEKHYUN AWAY FROM ME?! IT'S YOUR ENTIRE FAULT! DIE YOU ING ! WHY NOT JUST ACCEPT KYUNGSOO OPPA?! I'M SURE HE'LL BE MORE THAN WILLING TO BE WITH YOU. YOU'RE A , CHOI JUN MI -- A TWO-TIMING !" Na Eun shouted with all her might, her hands still pulling on Jun Mi's hair.

 

"What is going on here?" A voice boomed from somewhere. All heads -- who were anticipating the scene in front of them -- turned to a group with 11 boys. The shouter was Kris.

 

Na Eun let go of Jun Mi's hair with a huff. Eun Byul shot a glare at the queenka before going to the aide of her dumbstruck best friend.

 

The queenka strut her way towards the group, eventually making her way through to the back -- where DO was. "Look at how much Jun Mi is suffering because of you, DO-ssi."

 

DO froze in horror. The fact that almost all of the pairs of eyes were directed to him didn't help him at all.

 

Suddenly, Jun Mi spoke up -- her hair still sticking out in a few places, "No, DO-ssi. It's not your fault. I'm making myself suffer."

 

Jun Mi walked cautiously towards where DO, and Na Eun, were. She faced the queenka before whispering onto her ear, "I'm not quite sure with me being the here. Are you telling me that what you did last night with," Jun Mi gulped before recomposing her posture, "with him wasn't a ty thing? Considering that he was in a relationship a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter