ELLA

DAZED AND CONFUSED


Apparently the magazine had a limo for me, so when I walked out of my apartment, there was a limo waiting there.
I arrived at the ball, and if the party was big, this was even bigger.  There was a red carpet out and everything.  The driver opened the door, and I gently let myself out (didn’t want to mess up the dress).  I walked out and there were 100 photographers out…and they started to take my picture.   I was literally blinded from all the flashes.  I didn’t know what to do with myself until one of the bodyguards escorted me through the red carpet.
People started to yell at me saying things like, “Pose for us! Pose!” and “How about a picture?  We want to see a smile!”

Didn’t these people know that I’m not a celebrity?

Just then, someone stopped me and asks, “Hi, we’re from ABC, we were wondering who you are?”
“Uh….excuse me?”
“Are you a new up-and-coming celebrity?  A model?”
This woman was filming me for ABC? Guess she is an interviewer.
“No…I just work for the magazine.”
“Wonderful!  Can you give us a small comment for the viewers at home?”
“What? Uh….I hope everyone has a good night.”
“Thank you very much!  Have a wonderful evening!”
“Thank you.”
And as I was just about to leave, the interviewer looks into the camera and goes, “That was just ONE of the FABULOUS people that were invited to the party.  I wish I was just like her.  This was Sherry from ABC, signing off.”

That was the weirdest thing ever.  I was interviewed by a network and I wasn’t even a celebrity.  I was staff…and they still interviewed me?  And I was fabulous?  And she wished she was just like me?
I walked inside the building, and everything was absolutely stunning.  It was like being in a mystic futuristic forest with tear-drop diamonds everywhere.  There were large white paper origami that reflected the 2009 Chanel haute Couture collection.  It was ….amazing.
Everyone was stunning at the party. It looked like something out of a Cinderella movie, only it was sooo much more fantastic.  The atmosphere was very cheerful and warm.  It was nice.
“Amelie!  You look marvelous!  Do you remember me?  I’m Natasha?  I work on the second floor with the accessories?”
“Err…Yes.  How are you?”
Isn’t this the girl that makes comments about how I’m going to break the elevator with my weight?
“I’m good.  But enough about me.  How are you?  You look soo……skinny.  You look wonderful.”
“I look anorexic.”
“What’s that?  Is that a new term for chic?”
“It means- never mind.”
“Well, I’m off to the powder room, do you want to come with?”
“No.  Thank you.  I’m just going to look around for a little bit.
After I’ve been bombarded by 20 more people about how thin I got and how “beautiful” I am because of it, I walked around for a bit, looking at all of the decorations that were put up.
And then…a man approaches me.
“Would you like to dance?”
“Excuse me?”
“ A dance with me?”
“I …. I don’t really…”
“Come on.  It won’t be so bad.”
“….”
I don’t feel like dancing.  I just feel like being by my self today.  I’m still a little….bit numb from the last time.  I know that nothing happened between me and Jiyong, but I can’t help it.  I never had a boyfriend before…or something like that happen to me.  I just don’t really know- I just came over because Char wanted me to come.  
Now that I think about it…where is she anyways?  
Then the white knight just grabs my wrist and pulls me unto the dance floor.  The waltz starts to come on and this guy starts to lead me in the dance.
“My name is Eddie.”
“Oh…my name is Amelie.”
“That is a very beautiful name…”
“Thank you.”
Pause.
“So you are….a celebrity?”
“Oh no.  I just work at the magazine as an intern.”
“Oh I see.  I work at Orbit Financiers.”
“You work under Peter?”
“Yes.  You know him?”
“Well….I know him through someone else.”
“I see.”

The waltz goes into a close and then we separate and turn to thank the musicians.
“Amelie….will you have the next dance with me?”  He turns me around and looks at me with hopeful eyes.
What does he see in me anyways? It’s probably the dress.  Or maybe it’s because I look like a twig.  I’m just going to tell him that I need to go and find Char.  Afterwards, I’m going to leave and that would be the end of it.  Of this night.
“Uh….”
I can’t talk in front of gorgeous men.  I’m sorry.  This guy had short hair, light skin, very tall, and looked like a very formal nice guy.  He had on a white suit, but he didn’t look as good as…(I need to stop thinking about Jiyong…he’s not in my life anymore.  He never was)..him.
“Just one more dance.  The last dance didn’t kill you.”
“Um….uh…”
I was really probably starting to sound like chubaca from star wars and running out of excuses when…
“No.  Her next dance is reserved for me.”
I turned around and it was Jiyong.  All high and mighty with his Epic self.  This time he opted for an all black affair with gold studded shoes.  His eyes were twinkling and he had on his famous arrogant grin.  The one that made my heart follow it’s own path.  He looked sharp.  He looked…No.  I need to stop.  He doesn’t like you.  He’s embarrassed of you remember?
“Jiyong.”
“Amelie.  I see you have met Eddie.  It’s time for us to leave.”
“I….”
I wanted to say.  Jerk!  He was embarrassed of me.  I had a…crush on him and he just thought of me as a nice girl.  Us being in the bed together were probably just one of his antics that he does to get what he wants.   I wanted to say that I didn’t want to dance with him.  I wanted to stay away from him as much as possible.  But that was my mind talking and my heart was doing something against my own will.
It followed Jiyong’s lead.  It made my hand be gently placed on top of his hand.

The next song was a slower number and we haven’t talked for the first half of it.  I didn’t know what to say.  I was positioned pretty awkwardly because I didn’t want to get too close to him.  I was afraid he would hear my heart beating 200 miles per second.
“I-“
We both said in unison.  
“You go ahead Amelie.”
“I thought you were embarrassed of me.  Why are you here dancing with me?”
Wrong question.  I really wanted to ask him, why was he here?  Why is he still holding me?  Why is he making me feel like this?
He then whispers softly in my ear,
“I didn’t want you to be dancing with the other guy.  And I want to apologize for making you feel that way.” He then paused for a few seconds, hesitant on saying the next , “I never experienced things like what happened at the market, and I didn’t know what to do, or say.  I didn’t think it was that big of a deal, but now I know that it was very important to you.”
“…. No.  It was my fault.  I was blowing things out of proportion.  I shouldn’t have made you see me like that.  Anyone could have been scared off by that.”  I was looking at the ground, embarrassed.
I know that you would never love me.  You would never even look at me twice. I should have known that you asking to go to the farmer’s market was just something a nice person would do as a sympathy gesture.  Not something out of love.  I blew it out of proportion.  It was my fault.  He was gorgeous.  I was …like…this.
Then he was about to say something, but the song ended then and I released myself from his embrace.  I backed away from him and looked into his eyes and said,
“Goodbye Jiyong, it was wonderful getting to know you.  The dance was very nice.  Thank you for…for….everything.”
And then I briskly walked off.  Away from him.  Despite hearing his calls.  Because I knew that if I stood there a little longer, my heart would have been given away to him.  And I didn’t want that.  No.  I wanted it, but I didn’t think I could handle it.  I didn’t want to go back to how I was when I was…in love…with him.


I came back to my apartment and hung my beautiful dress in the closet.  At least this dress gave me two dances with two gorgeous men.  And it made me say ….at least…partially what I wanted to say to Jiyong.
I don’t know if I did like him, or if I started to have feelings for him, but I felt that I at least needed to say goodbye to him before he leaves for Korea.  The third month was almost over, and after that I would never see him again.
I would never see him again.
I crawled into my bed and I thought how big and empty it was.  I felt alone.  But I guess this was how I felt before meeting Big Bang.  Numb.

Next day.
Ring Ring Ring Ring

“Holy !”
That phone scared the crap out of me.
“Hello?”
“Amelie! Char.   Come to my office today please.  I would like to have lunch with you…so come around 12p.m.”
“Yes.”
“See you then.”
Click.




“Amelie!”
Wow this woman was obviously very excited to see me.
“Hello Char.  How are you?”
“YOU LOOK AMAZING! How did you do it?  Lose the weight, I mean.  A month ago you were a hippo, now you’re a swan!”
“I-uh…”
“And where did you ever find the time to go to Paris to get the Dior dress?  There is only one in the whole world.”
“My friend had it in her closet.”
“In her closet?  Hm…that’s odd.”
“Why?”
“That dress isn’t for sale.  You can’t buy that dress.  You could only borrow it, and even if you said that your friend helped you borrow it….borrowing it for a day is well over 50 grand.”
“50 GRAND?!”
“No need to shout.  However you got it, it is not important now.  I actually wanted to talk to you about you and Jiyong?  I know that you quit being their tour guide after a few days, but you guys looked perfect together during the ball.”
“Char…there is nothing between us.  We are just….friends….”
“Nonsense!  I know where there is love when I see it.”
“Didn’t you call me in for a lunch appointment?”
“Silly me, I totally forgot. Yes, I have called you in for a lunch appointment.  I actually have to sign a few papers, so I want you to go to the restaurant across the street first. I’ll meet you there.  There should be a reservation under Park.”
“But-“
“You can go now.”

And with that I was dismissed.  One minute she was so excited to see me, the next she brushes me off.  I guess a high-powered woman needs to be that sharp.