I CAN'T

DAZED AND CONFUSED

“Bonjour my lovely fashion viewers, today we have changed our fashion people panel a little bit and added a dash of chic!  Please welcome Myung!”
Applause.
I bowed to the audience and the viewers.
“Myung is not only a former assistant for a fashion magazine, but is now currently working as Bigbang’s stylist.  Hello Myung!”
“Good afternoon.  Thank you for having me.”
“So on today’s show, flunk or fly?  Did these girls really make it to the top with their fashion choices?  We’ll come back after the break.  Don’t change the channel or you’re not fashionable!”
After the red light signaled it was no longer recording, the host, Giyoung, plopped down on one of the sofas and yelled at one of the coordinators to fix her make up.
“Why can’t I get any good service here?  Huh?  I host a fashion show for God’s sake!  I need to look good people!”
The television doesn’t show the real side of people most of the time.
Giyong proceeded to stand up and walk towards where I was sitting behind the panel.
“Love your outfit darling, but isn’t that a little too casual for the show?”  Giyoung scoffed.
“Oh…I’m sorry…I didn’t know we were supposed to dress up on the show.  It is my first time. I am sorry.”
“No need to be sorry.  But as a stylist, I am kind of disappointed that you don’t have better fashion sense.”

She was wearing jeweled rings on every finger, had bangles and bracelets up to her elbows and had necklaces that probably weighed more than she did.  Her dress was a simple black tube top and it obviously shows that she was trying to be a “modern” Audrey Hepburn.
But she was right about me being casual.
I just had a light blue oxford shirt and a pair of my favorite distressed boyfriend jeans on.  And of course my white prada sandals.
I was here to critique how others wore their clothes.  So I figured I didn’t need to be dressed like I was going to a party…or for Giyoung’s case…a costume party.
“Welcome back everyone!  So let’s look at our first picture of the 7 girl generation!”
Annie, the interviewer, said something first, “They’re cute.  Their colored jeans show how skinny they are….and its good that they wore a white shirt on top.  Another color would just clash with the color of the jeans.”
Then another sitting next to me started to talk, “Yes…and the characters on that shirt is a good choice.  It shows their cute image.”
Giyoung started to nod.  I guess the man sitting next to me was another important person.
She started to speak, “very good observation Jinwook.  As always, your eye for fashion is brilliant.”
Then she looked at me, “Myung?  Any thoughts?”
I paused.  I wasn’t so sure if I was supposed to agree with them on their comments.  It seems like they were all very positive.  
My thoughts on the outfit…were…kind of…negative.
“Myung?”
“The concept looks okay, but if you think about it, they are in neither the “cute” category or the “y” category.  All are just wearing, if you think about it, a plain white shirt and jeans, which, don’t get me wrong, is a classic, but they just changed that up into something worse.  Colored jeans were only “trendy” when Rihanna wore them 4 years ago, and for them to be of that young age, I was hoping for the concept to be played up a little bit more.”
“Wow.  That was a completely different opinion with their clothes.” Giyoung gave me a death glare.
“They are lovely girls, they should be portrayed that way.”  I added.  Giyoung proceeded to give me the shut up face.
“Next picture please.”
Then the picture of some more female celebrities came out.
“Ah…the award ceremony.  Perfect.  How did you guys feel about what the girls wore during the awards ceremony?  I personally thought that the dresses were fabulous.”
“Yes…I agree.” Annie said.
“Myung? What about you?  Something negative?” Giyoung smirked.
“…..”
She is seriously getting on my nerves.  This is a critiquing show.  Not a compliment battle.
“I’m afraid it is something negative.”
Giyoung and Annie both seemed like they were ready to eat me alive.
“Please tell us.”  She said mockingly.
“An award ceremony, in my opinion, is where the celebrities get to show off their best assets and to show the world a ‘fantasy’.  Most people out there are not able to wear couture, or evening gowns, and watching these ceremonies are the only way they get to live it.  I’m afraid the women did not live up to that fantasy. All the dresses are too plain.  I felt like I wanted something to wow me.  There are a few that I felt looked good in what they were wearing, but no one wowed me.”
“That is your opinion, but okay.  My prince, Jinwook?”
“I would like to agree with Myung on this.”
“What?”  Giyoung managed to say under gritted teeth.
“I can see where she comes from.  And to be honest, it was very boring.”
Jinwook smiled then.
“Okay…well…that is all we have for today.  Some opinions great and not so great.  You make the choice.  Don’t forget to watch us next week, when we critique our favorite fashionista, Big Bang!”
And then the camera turned off.
Then all hell broke loose.
Giyoung came storming towards me.
I was still calmly sitting behind the panel.
“I can’t believe you just did that on national television!  Do you know how many people watch this show?  No one ever goes against Giyoung’s word!” Giyoung was literally shaking her hands in the air as if she was on fire.
“I just-“
“What.  You just what.  You just felt like making me the laughing stock now?  You little young twit!  You have no experience at all and yet you are telling me that I am wrong?  I’ve done this show for 5 years now and I have won 2 awards for this show.  How dare you.”
If this girl wasn’t anorexic, I’m pretty sure she could have beaten me up.
“Calm down Giyoung.  For once, it’s kind of refreshing that we have someone on the panel that has a mind of her own.”  Jinwook interrupted with a cool smile.
Jinwook glanced my way and gave me a wink.
I just blinked a couple of times.
“How can you take her side darling?  She embarrassed me!  She should have agreed when I was complimenting those girls!”
“Well..they were horrendous looking in those clothes.  You just couldn’t see that-darling.” Jinwook mocked.
“I…I…I run this SHOW!”
She stormed off, her 10 inch heels clacking furiously.

He brushed his styled hair back and turned towards me.  I was up and about to leave, but he blocked my way.
“I’m sorry Giyoung gave you a hard first day.  She is not used to having someone go against her.  Most of the time people praise her.”
“Oh…it’s no problem.”
I already knew a lot of those type of girls, and they don’t really bother me.
I moved to the opposite direction trying to find a new way out of him blocking me, but he simply blocked the other path as well.
“No…I would like to make it up to you…with dinner?”
I looked up into his face and he just gave me one of those “come on…I know you want me” looks.
“No thank you.  I am quite busy.”
“Busy?  It’s only 7?  I’m sure dinner wouldn’t bother you.”
He was getting on my nerves.
“Thank you for the offer.  And thank you for helping me out with Giyoung, but I do not want dinner.  With you. I’m sorry.”
And I pushed him a little to the side and walked off.
I wasn’t busy, but I didn’t want to eat dinner with him.  
“No problem!  Maybe some other time!” He yelled.
“Yeah. Whatever.” I said under my breath.

As I walked out of the building completely drained out, Jenny was waiting outside for me with Hyungman.
“Unnie!” Jenny waved.
Jenny started calling me unnie after I gave the spare room to the apartment.
“Hey you guys.”  I sighed.
“You look tired.” Hyungman looked at me worriedly.
“Yeah. I had a long day.”
“Was it Giyoung?  I heard from the staff that she is a complete !  Apparently she has no style of her own, but she got her way by sleeping with the director of the show.”
“Oh.”
I really couldn’t care less.  She got the show.  I was only doing to show so I can get away from Jiyong as much as possible.  She can be a as much as she wants, I really did not care.
“Let’s go and get some food.  I’m sure you are starving.  What do you want?”
“A nice spicy hot bowl of soup.  I need to de-stress.”
“Good.  I have just the thing!”

We went to a nearby restaurant and ate a delicious bowl of hot soup.  I felt 100 times better and would love to end the day with a nice long beauty sleep, but Jenny told me that we have to go somewhere else.
“Where are we going to?  Can’t we just go home?”  I was getting pretty whiny.
“No Unnie.  We are not going home yet.  Don’t worry.  I am sure you would love our little surprise.”
“Jenny! Don’t tell Myung it’s a surprise!” Hyungman hissed.
“Surprise?  What are you guys talking about?”
“Nothing.  You’ll see when we get there.”
“If this is a birthday surprise…you guys already did that for me a week ago.”
“No silly. It’s not a birthday.”
“So you are not going to tell me?”
They just burst into laughter and were clearly enjoying themselves.

 --------------

“I couldn’t go home and have a nice long sleep because of the movie theater?” I yelled.
“WHAT IS THIS?”
I was getting annoyed and all of the food that helped me de-stress was no longer taking in effect.
“You never watched a movie in the movie theaters in Korea, so we thought this would be a perfect day to watch!”
….

I didn’t even know what to say.  I can see that they were trying to be sweet and loving, but for goodness sake!  I want to go home!  I just had a television show and I had to encounter the Giyoung beast!
“come on Unnie!  Let’s go in. Isn’t the movie theaters so pretty?  Here is your ticket.” Jenny gave me a ticket with some numbers on it.
“Seat numbers?”
“Oh yeah. Don’t you have that in America?”
“No.  We don’t have seat numbers.”
“Oh.  Well in Korea, you have seat numbers so even if you go in late to the movies, there will still be a seat for you.”
“That’s pretty handy.”
“Yup!”  And Jenny gave me a huge smile.
I couldn’t help, but to laugh a little.  They were trying so hard to make me happy, that I couldn’t stay angry.
“Jenny.  Tell Myung to go in first.  Let’s go get some popcorn.”
Didn’t we just come from eating?
“Oh. Okay!  I want some squid!”
And she ran off, leaving me in front of the door to the movie.
I just shrugged it off and went in.

The movie theater was actually a lot nicer than the ones in America.  Maybe it was because this theater was newer.  I looked around for my seat, and when I found it, I sat down.
The seats were comfortable too.
After a few minutes, the lights started to dim down, and I started to get worried for Jenny and Hyungman.  If they don’t come, they are going to miss the movie.
A couple came in and took the seat right next to my right.
 “Excuse me, but this seat is saved for my friend.”
“Oh…No, I don’t think so.  It says B4.  And this seats B4.”
“Oh..I’m sorry.”
That’s weird.  Is there something wrong with the tickets?
There was only one seat left on my left, but that was soon to be taken as well.
A guy sat next to me then.
“Excuse me…is your ticket B6?”
“Yes…Myung?”
“…..”
What?  This guy knows my name?
He sounds familiar….

“Jiyong Oppa?”
“What are you doing here?”
“I came to watch a movie with Jenny and Hyungman.”
“There are no more seats left.  Where are they supposed to sit?”
“I don’t know…I guess there is something wrong with the tickets.  Why are you here?”  I asked.
“Top hyung wanted to watch a movie….”
.
“.” Jiyong said under his breath.
We were tricked again.
“No…maybe there is some kind of mistake.  Maybe it’s all of us watching the movie.”
Ring Ring Ring.
my phone.
A text message came.  People started to grumble and comment on my phone, but I proceeded to see who sent me a text message.

Sorry Unnie!
But we really want you guys to be closer!
He is the leader of Bigbang.
And you are the stylist of Bigbang.
You guys need to work together!
Love you!

-Jenny.

That STUPID JENNY!
I didn’t need to get closer to him!
I was trying to forget about him.
I didn’t want to get to know him better!
.
Maybe I can walk out now.
Yeah that would work.
“Sit down!”
“Yeah! And Turn off your phone!”

The other people in the movie theater started to yell.

“Sit down.  Might as well just watch the movie.” Jiyong grabbed my hand and pulled me down.
I landed with a plop and was severely bothered.
Not by the trick Jenny planned, but because Jiyong was still grabbing my hand.
I pulled away.
“Its not like things are going to get better by us leaving now.  Besides…I can’t be known that I am Jiyong, or I will get attacked by all of the people here.” Jiyong whispered.

He only cares about himself.
“I don’t want to watch a movie with you.  I want to go home!” I hissed.

“Shut up!” The people were getting very angry now

I guess I’ll just have to watch the movie.  If I stand up now, the people would probably come and bite my head off.
I huffed and just leaned into my chair.
Great.  2 hours of being in the same proximity as Jiyong.

“Just watch the movie.  We can’t do anything about it now, but after we can go kill them.” He whispered.
“Fine.” I huffed.
He let out a little smile and we watched the second movie after Pretty in Pink together.


------

The movie was pretty good.  Aside from the fact that the man I was trying to stop falling in love with was right there sitting next to me, it was good.
But of course I couldn’t concentrate.  I mean, he was there.  How can anyone concentrate?
But I have to.  I have to concentrate.  
“Myung.  Let’s go.”
“What?  The movie isn’t even over yet.  Why are we going?”
Despite my argument, I was more than happy to leave.
“I have to go before the movie ends, or they would know.  Come on.  It’s better this way.” He took my hand and we went out of the theaters.
I forgot that our hands were together, and then I abruptly took my hand out.
He fidgeted with his beanie, and we then walked to his car.
“What did you think of the movie?” I asked.
I didn’t know what the movie was about at all.  I wasn’t paying attention.
“I don’t know.  I wasn’t really paying attention to it.”
I stopped in front of the car.
“What do you mean you weren’t paying attention?” I asked curiously.
“Nothing.”  He got in the car and the engine.
“Get in.  We need to go get some explanations.”
“I think...I’m just going to …uh…walk.” I gave him an awkward smile.
Two hours with him was enough for a day.
I don’t think I would be able to stand another 10 to 15 minutes.
“We were going to go kill them remember?”

I couldn’t resist.  He gave me one of those mischievous smirks.


“We can’t believe you guys tricked us again!  What is it with you?  We are completely fine together!  We are close!”
I was flailing my hands and arms everywhere.
I was clearly turning into a monster
“Noona…Noona…calm down.”  Seungri had his hands up.
“Unnie.  It was just because we felt that you guys needed to work together more.” Jenny said shyly.
“What?  You don’t think this is close?  We are SO close.  Like…like….two peas in a pod.”
I paused.
“Aren’t you going to say something?” I looked over to Jiyong frustatedly.
He just shrugged and sat on the sofa.

We were in their apartment.  They were all waiting there to see how our little “date” went.
“God.  I’m going home.  I’m really tired.  Not only did I have a very frustrating day at the show, but I had an annoying unnecessary evening because of you guys.”  
I was limp from all of the yelling. I just wanted to go home.
They didn’t know that I was trying so hard to get over that man.  How even a mere second with him made my heart shred into a thousand pieces and more.  They didn’t know that for 3 years I tried forgetting about him and in the process changed my identity and name.
I couldn’t bare it.
“Hey….we’re sorry.  We won’t do it again.” Top came over and patted me on the back re-assuredly.
I looked up and he had the most warming face in the world.  I couldn’t help but to smile a little.
Jiyong got up to leave.
“Going to bed?” Top asked Jiyong as he was getting up to leave.
“Yeah.”
“Who’s going to take Myung home?” Top asked.  “ I don’t have my car today, Taeyang borrowed it.”
“It’s fine.  I can take the bus.” I said.
Then Jiyong turned around and grabbed my wrist.
“Let’s go.”
And we went out in a flash.


“You can let go now.  You know….you’ve grabbed my hand at least 3 times today.  I think you should stop.”
We were in the car now, driving towards my apartment.  
He let go, and put his hands on the wheel.
“Thanks for driving me home…even if you don’t favor me much.”
I had to thank this guy for at least being polite.  I know from my past experiences with him that he didn’t favor me much at all.  I think it even borders hate.

No comment.

We drove in silence and he dropped me off without a word.
I just said a goodnight and went out.