Eighteen

FanGirl

Jae pulled the covers up over her father as he slept in his room in the hospital. He had fallen asleep while the two were chatting about Jae's time at school. He was interested in hearing about her daily life now, probably because he had the time to listen. Kissing her father's forehead Jae took one last look at her father’s face before stepping out the room and closing the door.

Jae glared at her mother. She had been sitting outside her father's room for the past hour. Every time Jae went to visit her father, her mother was always sitting outside her father's room. She never went in, maybe she finally felt guilty for making her father act this way. Jae was hoping that was true. There was nothing worse in the world then living with guilt.

"Jae." Her mother spoke, lifting her head. Jae cringed at the sound of her name. "Your father... is he okay? Is he speaking now?" The concern in her mother's voice was rather strange for her to hear. As far as she knew her mother was just using her father for money, always had and probably always will, so why the concern?

"What do you care? You have a lover, you'll probably get custody over me and dad will be left with nothing once he's out of the hospital." Jae grunted

"He was my husband." Her mother grunted back and Jae rolled her eyes.

"He's speaking, we chatted for a bit and he's sleeping now." Jae said before she left, Youngguk had texted her the address of the coffee shop, so she was going to head there.

The coffee shop smelt sweet and it looked cozy as Jae entered. The guy behind the bar gave her a smile and pointed towards the back of the shop.

"You must be Jae! Youngguk's in the back, do you want anything to drink?"

"No thanks." Jae said before going to where Youngguk was seated. Instead of sitting at a table he was seated on the floor against the wall of the coffee shop. Papers were strewn across the floor, his headphones where on and he was bobbing his head to the music.

Not wanting to disturb the artist who seemed to be in the zone, Jae sat down beside him and looked at one of the sheets of paper. His head writing was messy but she could make out the lyrics to a love song of some sorts. Youngguk always seemed to write from his life, so whoever this girl he was writing about must have been a great person. The way he poured his feeling into the song, she must have been an angel to him. Jae smiled.

Having a love like that must have been nice. She never really had a boyfriend before, sure she always commented on how cute the BAP boys were and several other boys but Jae never really felt the need to have a boyfriend. Maybe it was because she had seen how wrong love could be from her parents. She didn't want to go insane like her father or be cold hearted like her mother.

As Jae read the lyrics, Youngguk was practicing his breathing. She was so close to him and she was reading the lyrics he had written about her. He noticed her right away when she entered the shop, but quickly went back to writing some random lyrics in his notebook; he smiled when she smiled as she read his lyrics. She liked them, now if he could muster up the courage to say the song was about her.

"Jae." the sound of Youngguk’s voice startled Jae a bit, she looked up from the paper and waited for Youngguk to continue speaking. Youngguk cleared his throat. "I, uh... Did you like the lyrics you were reading?"

"Yeah, whoever you wrote this about sounds like she makes you feel really happy." Jae said with a smile.

"She does."

"That's good."

"I- I uh actually wrote the lyrics about you.”  Jae smiled. Having a song written about you by you bias wrecker, that was every fan girls dream. But wait if Youngguk had written a love song about her, then he must have been interested in her. That was good right? It felt a little weird for Jae though, any fan would have been happy to hear that, so why was she not excited. She was grateful sure, happy that someone like him would be interested in her, but Jae didn’t think she had mutual feelings for the rapper.

“Thank you.”  Those two words made Youngguk feel content. Jae wasn’t freaked out that he had written a song about her, more so that it was a love song. However he didn’t fail to notice the slight change in her eyes when he told her. It was a quick flicker of confusion that her eye portrayed. Maybe she didn’t feel the same way about him. She did have that Minho guy and Jonghyun around her constantly. Youngguk had only just been introduced as her friend and even though they were close, he knew that there were things only Minho and Jonghyun knew about her and things that he no clue about.

Jae was a pretty open person too, if she liked him, Youngguk was sure that she would straight out tell her. Then again what if she was secretly a shy person who didn’t like telling others her feelings? Youngguk mental sighed, before he could confess he had to make sure that she was at least a little bit interested in him. He made a mental note to have a BAP meeting with the members to discuss the issue, before he jumped back into the conversation.

“I hope it’s alright, I mean if you feel weird about it I can just destroy the paper and those lyrics will never be heard.” Jae chuckled before shaking her head.

“It’s alright Oppa. It’s kinda nice actually, these lyrics are beautiful and it would make me sad if you didn’t let the world hear such wonderful words.” Youngguk smiled.

“You’re just saying that because I wrote the song about you.” Youngguk bumped her playfully making Jae sway a bit to the left. She bumped him right back before the two laughed.

“Maybe I am and maybe I’m not. You will never know.”  Youngguk chuckled before Jae’s phone rang interrupting their conversation.

It was Jonghyun and he didn’t sound too happy. His tone was low and he sounded like he was hiding somewhere.

“Jongy, what’s wrong?” Jae said turning away from Youngguk so she could focus on her cousin.

“He’s back.” Jae stiffened. Sounds of things crashing to the floor and yelling could be heard in the background.

“Please tell me your mom isn’t home.”

“She’s not.” Jae sighed out of relief.

“Where are you?” Jae asked before she heard shuffling, Jonghyun was probably moving from where he was to somewhere farther away from the noises.

“In my closet. I’m moving to the bathroom at least that has a lock on the door.” Jae nodded her head before she heard a loud crash. It sounded like glass breaking.

“Warn your mom. I’ll be over as fast as I can. Oppa would always be nice to you if I was around.” Jae hung up after that.  She hadn’t realized that he would be back so soon. Normally he never came to visit this early in the year. Summertime was his preferred choice of visiting season.

“You’re leaving so soon?” Youngguk asked as Jae got up from the floor and brushing off her pants.

“Something came up with Jonghyun. I have to leave.”

“Is he okay?” Youngguk asked as he walked her out of the store.

“He won’t be if I don’t get there fast enough. Thanks again for the song Oppa, but I got to run!” Jae said before she sprinted out the door. As fast as her legs would carry her she ran to the Jonghyun’s house.

The door was already unlocked and she twitched at the sight that lay in front of her. Broken dishes, glass pieces spread out across the floor. There was a pounding noise coming from upstairs as well.

“YAH! JONGHYUN I KNOW YOUR IN THERE!” the voice was unmistakable.  Walking up the stairs Jae careful sidestepped any rubble in her way before going to Jonghyun’s bedroom.

There pounding on the door was a rather drunk looking male. His eyes seemed clouded and his face was angry.

“Oppa stop bothering Jonghyun and give me a hug.” Jae said before the male turned to her and smiled.

“Baby girl!” He said before Jae was engulfed in a hug. “Jonghyun’s being a meanie and won’t come out of his bathroom. I’m his brother for Pete’s sake! He should greet me.” Jae giggled and shook her head slightly.

“Oppa you’ve been drinking and you broke so many dishes! If I was Jongy I wouldn’t come out either! Beside you always hurt him.” Jae said pouting.

“Junhung Oppa. You have to say my name fully.” Jae rolled her eyes before Junhung was slapped over the head with a broom. Turning around Jae saw her aunt, the culprit of the attack hold the broom.

“Junhung! You come home drunk and break everything!” Her aunt yelled. “Good thing Jonghyun warned me. You’re paying for the replacement dishes I bought!”

Jae chuckled as her aunt began scolding her cousin. Junhung was her biological cousin, and never really got along with Jonghyun. The two had only one thing in common and that had to be their love for her. Junhung was either away on business or out with his girlfriend, but seeing as she came home earlier than expected and didn’t have his girlfriend on his arm, Jae suspected he would be staying here a little bit longer than usual.

She didn’t mind though. Things were always fun with Junhung around, so long as he wasn’t drinking anyways.