Chapter 40: Can´t control my hair

Switching Channels, today: Dream Girl~

The waves of euphoria after the release of Ring Ding Dong had long calmed down and again it was time to start recording and to change the concept. Unfortunately there had been quite some battle of various stylists about this: every hairdresser wanted the privilege of creating a new look for SHINee.
After two weeks of pointless discussion it was decided that the five most favorited stylists in Kpop should have a showdown about this.

When the day X had come, all of the SHINee members had been abducted by said ambitious stylists at four in the morning. It was going to be a long day for everyone as the actual presentation was scheduled at 7pm.

Time passed quickly and soon enough SME´s highest ranking managers gathered to decide over the concept of the next SHINee comeback.

As the clock seven the lights in the big auditorium went out and one single spot on the small stage was illuminated. Then suddenly a slight Jamaican music started playing in the background as Minho stepped into the spotlight. The audience gasped. The charismatic rapper stood in front of them with shoulder length dreadlocks. Strangely everybody seemed to be adjusting to it just after a short while. The guy´s charisma made him look good in any style.

Nodding it off, Minho stepped aside waiting curiously for his fellow band members whom he had not seen all day.

Surprisingly the speakers started playing the familiar tune of 2PM´s "Again & Again". Half of the manager´s eyebrows went up as if questioning what was coming next.
Confidently Onew strode into the light as everyone was amazed what a simple haircut could do to the way you perceive a person. Tilting his head slightly to the side Onew revealed a hairstyle very similar to Jaebum, in fact the responsible hairdresser had even shaved the word "SHINee" into his hair.

As Onew glanced sideways to Minho noticing the dreads he started flashing his trademark smile almost ruining the impact of the new style totally. The audience exhaled and relaxed seemingly.

There was not a lot time to rest though as the sound of guitars filled the room: with heavy boots, light blue jeans and a bulky leather jacket Taemin strode into the room looking mighty pissed off.
The whole outfit screamed "rebel" and was seemingly inspired by punk rock.

Taemin´s hair was a mess of unruly bleached blond hair. The first row spectators slightly pushed their backs into their seats... Who would have thought that the SHINee magnae could scare people like that?

Stepping to the side joining Onew and Minho, Taemin made way for Jonghyun.

Accompanied by a heavy 60ies sound came "flower power" Jonghyun: light brown hair reaching down his back, wearing strong center parting with a small leather headband.

Well, most people were too stunned to even react. What kind of stylist had joined this weird competition?

The four reunited SHINee members had quite a laugh at each but they calmed down soon because they were way to eager and excited to know what Key would look like.

The room was silent for about a minute before a very depressing pop/rock song was slowly gaining volume. There he was: black pants, a black Metallica Band shirt, thick black eyeliner and raven black hair. Overall his hair had been cut short. Only his bangs remained covering half of his face entirely. The stylist had even drawn a little black tear in the corner of his left eye.

So that were the options? Jamaica, 2PM, Punk, Hippie and Emo...

With a loud cough Lee Sooman excused himself into his office and after an hour of painful laughter he announced that this new concept should not be rushed.

 

 

(29.3.2010)