Chapter 24: Driving license [Almighty Flaming Doufu]

Switching Channels, today: Dream Girl~

 

Since the promotion of their "2009...Year of us" album had been slowed down a bit (due to Jonghyun's sickness) Onew, Key, Minho and Taemin found themselves left with too much spare time. And while Taemin and Minho started concentrating on their homework a little more than usual (just as Onew immersed himself in his music theory studies), Key had started daydreaming most time of the day.

 

"Onew, I need your help making me feel like a normal guy."

 

When Key had uttered those words the atmosphere seemed to have frozen.

Taemin forgot to breathe, Jonghyun had abruptly brought the coughing fit he had had until a second ago to halt, Minho had even dropped his brother's good-luck-pen. And Onew? Well he was still too dumbstruck to comprehend what he had been asked just now.

 

"Among all the people in the world? Why would you ask Jinki such a thing?" Jonghyun was still unable to comprehend.

"I just noticed how I had missed out on making my driver's license" Key explained.

"Oh" everybody said and the mood started to lighten a little bit.

 

"Sure" Onew said "Just tell me when you want to start, okay?"

"I thought about, like, now?"

"Okay...I'll just get ready okay?" that said Onew stood up and marched into the bedroom.

 

Thirty minutes later he still hadn't returned.

"Guys?" Jonghyun leaned in the doorframe of his quarantine "Do you think something happened to Jinki in there?"

"I was wondering too. Maybe someone should go and take a look if he is all right?" Taemin said looking at Minho.

 

So Key sighed and got up when suddenly there was this loud rumble coming from the bedroom.

 

Wide-eyed the three (minus Jonghyun who was still struggling with the baby-safety-door that the manager had installed to hinder him from getting out of his lockdown) rushed toward the room when the door opened revealing a SHINee leader that was heavily loaded with books.

"I knew I had brought them with me!" he beamed walking into the kitchen. He set the books on the table and started arranging them.

 

"Key!" he called. "We can start!"

Reluctantly stepping into the kitchen Key sat down.

"Onew, when I told you I wanted to learn driving I thought of a more practical kind of teaching..."

"But you first have to learn all the rules before we will start with driving- lessons. Besides I don't even think I'm qualified for that."

Key's face had dropped. From time to time he threw disgusted looks at the books while Onew still looked at him smiling and anticipating.

 

Suddenly Key stood up and walked into the living-room.

 

"Minho, I need your help making me feel like a normal guy."

 

The cow- eyed boy looked as if he were in the headlights of an approaching truck.

"Hyung... you know...I can't drive." he said.

"I know that!" Key hissed "I never really learned how to play soccer. Can you teach me now?"

Beaming Minho stood up and jogged into their bedroom saying that he would get ready.

Key victoriously smiled and started putting on his sneakers.

 

Then Minho came in carrying a flip chart and Key looked like the time when Taemin had told him that his pet snail had kicked the bucket.

"Where did you store that???" Onew exclaimed.

"Key," Minho addressed the co-rapper "where are you going?"

"Duh! I thought you would teach me soccer!" He slowly started to get pissed.

"But first you have to know the rules, like where does which position stand and"

"Don't even get started!" Key screamed "Gah!! Thanks to you and Onew I will never be like a normal 17-year-old guy!"

He threw his sneaker at Minho (who caught it easily) and stomped into their bedroom slamming the door shut.

 

Onew and Minho were looking at each other guiltily though they knew they had done nothing wrong.

The silence was unbearable.

 

Luckily it didn't last long because Key came running and screaming back yelling that they just got mail about Yesung filling in for Jonghyun for today's "ring ding dong" performance.

Everybody was euphoric (except for Jonghyun who had fallen asleep when Minho had carried the flip chart into the room) and jumped up and down.

 

"So you are not angry anymore?" Onew anxiously asked Key.

"Who wants to be normal anyways?!"

 

(12.3.2010)