The unexpected confession

Friends Forever

2 girls sat against the light and have their heart-to-heart talk after a busy  schedule.

"how long are you gonna wait before you confess to him...?"
 
"I'm just afraid he doesn't feel that way for me."
 
"if you don't tell him, he'll not know. maybe he does like you too. stop guessing and start doing"
 
"but..."
 
"fate brought you guys together again, are you gonna let it slip away once more? chances don't come by so easily!"
 
"you said you kissed him that day right? how was it?"
 
"it was amazing! though it's just one peck, I feel like it's better than any of the kisses I had with my co-stars. my heart goes thumping so fast I thought I'm gonna faint."
 
"did you have enough of his lips then?"
 
"no... absolutely no... I wanted more..."
 
"then go for it! don't give other girls a chance. I'm sure he'll say yes to you."
 
"you think?"
 
"trust me"
 
the girls smiled to each other.
 
....
 
Yamada POV
 
I sat on the beautiful grass patch facing the canal and rubbed my hair vigorously.
 
"ahhh... headache"
 
my head throb even more when I recalled the event on the same morning at the rooftop of the school.
 
/flashback/
 
beep.
 
Yamada-kun, can I borrow a bit of your time? there's something important I need to tell you. I'll meet you at the rooftop now
 
-Mirai
 
"that's weird? why can't she just tell me in class?... don't tell me she met some danger or some sort of difficulties that she can't tell others?" I mumbled to myself.
 
I dashed out of class and bump into Chinen, Miku, Yuto and Umika.
 
"Yamachan where are you heading to? class is starting soon..."
 
"er... there's something I need to see to personally... I won't be late." I smiled to them.
 
"is something wrong?" Umika asked.
 
"I hope not." 
 
"heh?"
 
"don't worry. I'll be back soon" I pat her shoulders and ran off.
 
when I dashed to the rooftop, I saw Mirai at the edge of the roof, staring out into the sky... it looks as though she is thinking of jumping off?!
 
"WAHhhhhhhh Mirai! are you crazy?! we can look for a solution together, you don't need to do this!" I carried her away from the edge.
 
"heh? yamada-kun" she turned back and look at me with surprised eyes.
 
"didnt you met with some difficult issues and want to jump off the building?"
 
"Baka, of course not. I'm just thinking the view from the roof is really pretty"
 
"honto..?! you really scare the hell out of me, Mirai-chan!"
 
"gomene Yamada-kun" I released her from my arms.
 
"so what is it you need to see me for? If there's anything you need, I'm sure to help"
 
"yamada-kun... we know each other for quite some time right?since tantei gakeun q"
 
"yeah... why?"
 
"during tantei gakeun q, whenever I see you, I feel excited, at the same time, nervous.... after we parted, I thought that feeling will soon be gone but when we met again at Horikoshi High, that feeling came back again, stronger than ever."
 
"Mirai?"
 
"I love you Yamada-kun!!! all this while, that yearning for you is unbearable... after that kiss that day, it made me realise how much I want you."
 
"Mirai? is this a secret camera show or something??" I looked around but I don't see anything other than the 2 of us.
 
"Mirai?"she hugged me tightly .
 
"you really caught me by surprise Mirai... er~ I.... I don't know what to say...I..." I'm so nervous I am stammering... interacting with girls is never my thing, and now I face this....
 
"I don't need an answer now Yamada-kun...I just wanna let you know my feelings. I don't wanna live by my day like that...I don't wanna regret once more" her words made my heart beat fast... it's not like I'm resistant to what she said, it's more like I feel touched and important.
 
"see you in class, Yamada-kun" she dashed out after she said.
 
/end of flashback/
"ahhhhh this is so frustrating....why can I advise Chinen but I can't advise myself?! damn!"
 
"Woahhhhh yamada Ryosuke-kun!!!! I can't believe I'm seeing you.... can I get an autograph!" I hear a girl screaming behind me, with multiple camera flashes ...
 
"no no, I'm not Yamada..." I covered my face.
 
"Ryo...su...ke~" the girl called out. her voice is familiar so I turned around and saw Umika smirking behind my back.
"wahaaaaaa gotcha!!! it has been a long time since I played this prank on you" she wrapped my arms around me.
 
"I'm in no mood for jokes Umika." I held her arms around my neck.
 
"what's wrong? Chinen-kun said you are zoning out the entire day. so I thought you may be here"
 
"ah Umika, you do understand me best... in that case, can I ask you something?"
 
"yeah what?" she sat beside me.
 
"Mirai... she confessed to me earlier today... I feel kinda happy when she told me that, but I'm really not sure if that's love and if I should start a relationship with her"
 
she looks stunned, so stunned it feels like her soul left her body.
 
"Umika~ Umika!" I shook her by her shoulder.
 
"if you're happy then date her."
 
"I'm asking you for your opinion... "
 
"why do you care about my opinion?! just make your own decision! if you like her, then date her. how difficult is it!"
 
"what did I say wrong? why did you need to be so agitated about this... you're my best friend, I'm just asking for a second opinion. is it also that difficult?!"
"you know what... I don't give a damn about who you date. if you really want an answer, then I would say go ahead!and since that's the case, then you jolly well not matchmake for me too!"
 
"i dont know what the heck is your problem, but fine! whatever you say missy! you're a pain sometimes!"
 
"yeah I'm a pain, so sticking with Mirai is way better!"
 
"why the heck do you need to compare you and her..?!"
 
"because... because... you like sticking with her..."
 
"I didn't say so. why do you have to put words in my mouth!"
 
I see tears in her eyes. I wanted to comfort her but the fight has blown over the roof for any possible ceasefire.
 
"no point in continuing this conversation... it'll just get worst."
 
"yeah! it's no point talking to you!"she said
 
"fine! I think so too!" she ran away as soon as I replied.
 
why must she say those nasty and hurtful words. it hurts so bad... why must she do this at a time when I needed her most.
 
-------------------------------------
Umika POV
it's just another girl in his life, it's not something unexpected... I saw it coming, so why am I feeling this sense of lost and uneasiness, like as if I'm losing him for good.
 
he thought of me and tried to find me a boyfriend before... and now that he's getting a girlfriend, I became so possessive and so mean towards him.
 
I shouldn't have said so nasty stuff that day... since then, he hasn't talked to me in school or contacted me...it has been 3 days now, the longest cold war we ever had...I miss him really badly. I need to apologise.
 
"minna! ohayou" I walked towards Chinen, Miku, Yuto and Suzuka who are having their breakfast in the school canteen.
 
"ohayou Umika!!!" Suzuka gave me a cheerful hug.
 
"where's Ryosuke? he must be sleeping in class right?" I asked confidently.
 
"he's in class with Mirai. I think they're having their breakfast in class" Chinen replied.
 
I feel like I'm missing something. these days I totally distract myself from everything related to him that I have refused to hear about the updates regarding him and Mirai.
 
"lets not disturb the lovers. join us Umika... we can move to another table so Chinen and Miku can have their alone time as well" Yuto said.
 
my heart sank at his mere mention of "lovers".. that's right Umika, your best friend is now Taken... so stop being so clingy to him anymore. he doesn't need you. I tried to control my tears but it seemed so hard... even smiling has become so tedious.
 
"minna, I forgot I've something to rush... I'll go back class first" I dashed off to the toilet before waiting for their response...
 
I locked myself in the cubicle and cried to my hearts content, using my hands to cup my mouth so my cries cannot be heard from the outside. my heart feels like it's been ripped apart...why am I feeling this way... why?!!!
 
I went back to class upon hearing the school bell rang... sadly, with my reddened eyes and Rudolph reddened nose... anyone could tell I just cried, I tried to cover with my fringe but it's undoubtedly blocking my view.
 
"Gomenasai" I bump right into a guy.
 
"Umika?" that voice, it's all too familiar. I looked up and saw Ryosuke standing right in front of me, and beside him is Mirai.
 
"woah. are you okay? did you just cry?" he asked. I feel so embarrassed with them staring right at me.
 
"no I didn't cry. why should I?!"
 
"but your eyes and nose is so red.." he said with a worried tone.
 
"NO! I'm fine!" I pushed my way through them.
 
"fine!" I heard him say.
damn... why must I push him away again. I should be apologizing for my obnoxious act that day. 
 
ahhhh why must I bump into him am when I'm in this horrible state.
 
...
next morning~
 
no, Umika, you need to really apologise today or you'll really lose your best friend!
 
I prepared his favorite bento as a peace offering and rushed to school.
 
"Kento!" 
 
"ah ohayou, Umika!"
 
"have you seen Ryosuke?"
 
"I saw him going to the rooftop I think"
 
"ok thanks"
 
"but..." I heard him say but I'm too anxious to see Ryosuke that I just ran without stopping.
 
as I opened the door to the rooftop, I saw Ryosuke..... and Mirai.
"say ah...." Mirai fed the strawberry into his mouth.
 
she too has prepared a sumptuous bento for him, and it looks even better than mine.
 
he doesn't need mine... he'll pick hers any day. 
 
I clutch my heart as though I am suffering from a heart attack. and the next moment is the killer.
 
Mirai moved towards Ryosuke and they KISSED! it was a wet kiss definitely.... the kiss is so passionate that I feel Ryosuke has become a professional kisser... he's not anything like the shy boy who is afraid of interacting with girls. he looks more like a natural Casanova now. 
 
tears ran down my cheeks and I cried once again. I cupped my mouth to stop any sounds from escaping but my gasping still could be heard.
 
"who's that?!" they stopped their kiss and looked around, while Ryosuke shouted.
 
he looked at my direction as if he noticed someone behind the door and started approaching.
 
I stepped back and quickly ran off, hoping he did not see me.
 
I was so clumsy that I tripped when I was going down the stairs.
 
"itai" my knee is bruised, but luckily my bento escaped unharm. why am I caring about the bento when the receiver already had his.
"Daijoubu?"
 
"ah Yuto-kun. I'm okay"
 
"your knee, it's hurt... I'll bring you to the nurse office"
 
"no, it's okay. I'll go there myself."
 
"you sure? you don't look so good... did you just cry? your eyes is so red"
 
"ah no no, I'm fine. don't worry. I rubbed my eyes too hard just now I guess. anyway Yuto, you can have this bento. 
 
"heh?"
bye!" I limped off.
 
"arigatou Umika!" he shouted. 
....
Ryosuke POV
 
"Yuto~ ohayou!!!! wow this looks nice!" I stared at his bento.
 
"it's delicious!!!! got this thanks to you"
 
"thanks to me?"
 
I looked closely at the bento box and realised it's Umika's.
 
"isn't this Umika's? she made it for you?"
 
"of course not. I think it's for you... here, it's wrapped together with the bento..." Yuto passed me a letter and the cover writes "to my best friend, Ryosuke"
 
"heh?! why didn't she just talk to me, instead of writing letters?"
 
"well, it could be that she doesn't know how to tell you face to face"
 
I took the letter and went back to my seat. the content of the letter really breaks my heart...
 
Ryosuke,
 
Gomenasai for being so mean these days. I couldn't help it... I questioned myself why am I acting so obnoxiously, and I realised it's all because of me being selfish and jealous! I didn't wanna share you with other girls, I'm so used to having you beside me that now when your heart is occupied by someone else, I feel a great sense of loss. this emptiness makes me feel awful. it's my fault. I'll try my best to overcome this emotional flaw of mine and learn to let go of my best friend... give me some time... I know it's frustrating to face me since we end up quarreling but please understand and forgive me. 
 
don't hate me.
 
and I hope we return to how we are before.
 
love,Umika.
 
---
tears rolled down my eyes as I stared at the letter. it's because of me... those reddened eyes must be because of her cries. 
Baka! you could have just told me... when I ask you if I should date, you should just honestly tell me what you feel. 
 
I have neglected your feelings... if I were you, I would have felt the same way too.
 
when you and Daiki were dating, I felt the same sense of loss, like I'm going to lose you for good. 
 
I pursed my lips and tried to stop my cries but it is so hard... I'm suffocating from the heartbreak. 
if love and friendship cannot coexist.... if I absolutely have to choose one....which one will I choose....? yamada Ryosuke, THINK!!!!