Her childhood friend

Friends Forever

"Oi Yamada," Daiki propped himself beside Ryosuke who was immensely engrossed with the thick booklet of script and munching a box of calbee in another. Daiki shook his head when he saw how incredibly long Ryosuke's lines were, not of which could be understood in a quick glance. Perhaps only the words bolded "Kindaichi shonen no jikenbo (Neo)"  made complete sense to him. This one of the many reasons why Daiki has alway felt proud for the younger boy who excels well in the fim/drama industry. Through Ryosuke has been extremely humble in this matter, Daiki knew the boy has worked harder than anyone to memorise those profound vocabulary and the mouthful of words spoken by Kindaichi Hajime. He also knew Ryosuke has been stressed over the fact that the previous generations have done it well, especially when the drama filming coincides with their album preparation.

"ahh, Daichan, you're done?" the younger boy finally looked up at Daiki with an aching neck from hours of bending down. Now he had a clearer view of the mysterious drama set.

"hai, once Haruna-chan is done with touching up, I think it's you guys parts already."

"alright then. I'm just about done with the script. anyway, Daichan, you are amazing with your parts today ne" Ryosuke never fail to praise others everytime, Daiki wasn't surprise when he said this. The elder boy pat Ryosuke's shoulder when he heard a soft sigh.

"You're always amazing too, ne. Don't push yourself too hard, since you just recovered from your high fever yesterday. Oh before I forget, I recorded Candle after you left yesterday, I was so impressed by the lyrics you wrote. It really gives off that feeling that Jump has matured into adulthood, so it's a good song for this new beginning"

"Thank you, Daichan. I thought you guys would think it's too depressing that it doesn't fit our concept well"

"not at all, BEST think it's great too. I was with Yuya and the rest, so trust me when they said they liked it!" Daiki cheered the discouraged boy up and the smile that crept up the latter's face was relieving.

Then a female voice echoed through the room. We both lifted our heads towards the voice and saw a girl with shoulder-length hair saying with a bright smile, "Yamada-kun, it's our turn"

"hai, I'm coming right now. Wait for me a bit" Ryosuke sprung up on his feet then faced me before leaving with Kawaguchi Haruna, the star playing the heroine Miyuki Nanase, Hajime's childhood partner. 

"Daichan, you go ahead. I'll be filming till night I think, and I have arranged to have dinner with Umika before going home."

"alright then, remember your mask, in case you get caught by the paparazzi. You know how tense the situation is for us now that someone started leaking Yabu's past."

"I will, no worries. Thanks for the reminder, Daichan. Rest well, ne!" Ryosuke smiled brightly and then bounced off to rejoin Haruna. After filming with Ryosuke and Haruna in this series, Daiki has slowly gotten so immersed in the role that he started to imagine them as really Kindaichi Hajime and Miyuki Nanase. Their chemistry onscreen and offscreen only leaves bystanders confused if they were still acting. It's adorable at times. Daiki smiled to himself as he saw the two friends disappear from his sight.

Leaving the filmset alone in the mid-afternoon for home isn't his normal routine, but he thought he really needed the break before Hirundesu filming tomorrow. He slouched a little then boarded the manager's car which was empty and quiet without the other members around. He leaned on his back and then started feeling jealous of Ryosuke "at least he has someone waiting for him after work, someone he could think of whenever he feels tired or stressed. how good would it be if I'm still with her? then perhaps I will be the fortunate one now..." he sighed.

*****

"you sure you don't wanna join us for dinner, Yamada-kun?" Haruna asked while walking side by side with him down the corridor to their restrooms after a long day of filming. He looked out of the window and realised the sky is already darkened. It was like his body could already sense the fatigue, he yawned slightly.

"I've another gathering, so you guys go ahead. I'll join you next time, ne. And, good job to us today," Ryosuke pat Haruna's shoulders briefly.

"You too...so I'll see you in 2 days time. Bye Hajime-chan..ah Yamada-kun" Haruna joked, causing Ryosuke to chuckle as usual. He was always impressed with Haruna's energy, cause it never seem to deplete even after the endless filming and she could still laugh around, providing her surroundings with her cheerfulness. It's really great having to act with such impressive girl, he thought. 

He quickly changed into his fresh clothes and freshened up as he noticed the time on his watch. He was running late with his meeting with Umika. He has always tried to at least be on time once, but he ended up always being fashionably late. Feeling guilty towards making her wait half the time, he drove his car out to avoid the rush hour on public transports. Well, the other reason for driving was he could better navigate around without having to fuss about his identity. 

When he reached the restaurant he frequented at a deserted street along a stretch of apartments, he was late by 30 minutes. He parked his car and strolled down the street, then he realised how dark this place could be at night. With the mask covering half his face, he pondered deeply how safety could be an issue for Umika to be walking here alone. how helpless am I, I could only suggest places like this and not those crowded places. I can't risk getting spotted, yet I am jeopardising her safety. He decided that at least from now, he would drive her there instead. 

He took a peak into the small restaurant and saw there were only 3 tables occupied at the seats near the exit, then deep inside the restaurant, there was one table occupied. This particular customer sat isolated from other customers. He went towards the customer and stood by her side but it appeared that she has been so bored that she has fallen asleep with her head buried on the table and her handphone gripped loosely on her hand. He stood observing his asleep girlfirend and felt even more remorse for tiring her this way. Just when her phone was about to fall off the edge of the table, he caught it, but whatver she has been preoccupied with during her long wait made him distressed.

SEARCH: yamashi

He scrolled down and saw pages and pages of fanfictions, fan groups and discussion pages dedicated to himself and Mirai, not as separate celebrities but as a couple, shipping them like both are a legit topic. Frankly, he wasn't distress over this whole virtual relationship his fans are immersed in in the past, but now he felt that perhaps he has been thinking too lightly or too unobservant over Umika's feelings. He wondered how long she has been habouring this in her mind. Never did he expect her to read up on these articles and comments. It could be out of boredom, but he knew that it could to an extent affected her mood.

He took the seat opposite her softly so as not to awaken her, then let his fingers trace down her hair, patting her lightly. He sighed while staring at her without shifting his gaze away at any moment. He didn't feel tired at all when he looked at her, for minutes after minutes, until finally the waitress came over.

"excuse me sir, can I take your orders?" she asked. Her voice awakened Umika and she was slightly startled to see Ryosuke in front of her that she almost blurted out his name. Because of his mask, he could only wink at her to acknowledge her awakening.

"Have you ordered?" Ryosuke asked while trying to muffle his voice to play safe that the lady would not see through her disguise through his voice. It is not unlikely that people could recognise him through his voice cause it ever happened during his shopping trips.

"ah, no. Can I have 2 sets of ribeye steak, 1 strawberry milkshake and 1 Ice lemon tea" Umika told the waitresses without having to ask Ryosuke. Ryosuke was the least surprise that she knew exactly what he wanted to order, since they have spent so many years together as friends, as family, as couple, that their likes/dislikes are ingrained in their subconscious minds. Still, everytime they were spot on about each other, there was this cozy, fuzzy feeling that hits them right at the core of the heart.

"How's work?" she asked immediately before he could ask about her interest with 'yamashi'.

"tiring, but fun. it's another long day, ne" he rubbed the nape of his neck as he replied. Then, he was appalled that instead of her usual comforting words, she lifted herself from her seat and went to the opposite side where he was, and sat beside him. She cuddled closer and then wrapped her arms around his firm arm, hugging it close to her body. She leaned her head on his shoulders and felt the warmth radiating from beneath. Instead of getting shocked by her, he found it so comforting that she crept up to him after an exhausting day. He leaned on against her head conveniently and let his mind relax for a moment. 

"why are you being so sweet suddenly? It's unlike you, Umika" Ryosuke turned and looked at her with curiosity filling his expression.

"it doesn't sound like a compliment. Anyway, I heard guys always feel relaxed when there's someone they can rest on at times like this, so I thought this will help you distress a little? Well, if it didn't work, I'm totally fine too," Umika withdrew a little with a pout on her face.

"no no, it worked very well, Umika. I do feel a lot better, rejuvenated actually!" he forced her head back on his shoulder gently, then leaned at his orginal position.

"oh ya, I have a hypothetical question for you, to kill time before our food is served. One day if we didn't make it together....would you~" he was interrupted by her impatience.

"is it about 'candle' again?"

"No, don't interrupt me. I meant that if that happened, would you do something to revenge against me? Maybe to get back at me for cheating on you, for breaking up with you, for whatever misunderstandings we have?"


Umika raised her head and eyebrows, looking at Ryosuke with a confused look, "what do you mean by revenge?"

"hmm. like exposing about my secrets, my personal life, et cetera? it's just a scenario, so don't stress yourself over this," he clinged over her neck with his arm and leaned his head back on her shoulder. His black rim spectacles and his mask effectively disguised himself that he went completely unnoticed, but it also blocked out Umika's view of her boyfriend, withdrawing her rights of admiring the glamour emitted out from his flawless face. More importantly, she could only decifer from the tone of his message its underlying meaning. Hence she took longer than usual to consider her answers, but it turned out that the sincere of her answers are what he wants to hear

"of course not. why would I ever do that to a friend I cherish dearly, even if it's just as a friend and nothing more. It's a horrible thing to do anyway. Even if you betrayed me first, tarnishing one's reputation earned through a lifetime of hardwork is worst than a beast. Oh! and I know you well, you will get really hurt if I do that..."

"yatta! I knew you won't be like those other girls," he cheered with an eye smile, since that was the only portion of his face that was showing.

"why are you asking this out of the blue? There must be a reason right? Spill!" she pinced his elastic cheeks, and was amazed how flexible it was even after so many years. How long is his chubby cheeks gonna stay? It'll be hilarious if his cheeks remain this way till he's in his middle to old-age.

"Itaiiiiii! okay okay, I'll say..." he pouted then rubbed upon his reddened cheeks beneath the mask. "it's actually quite common amid the star and glamour we celebrities face. In fact, I do know quite a number who suffered in such scenarios, so it isn't merely something that popped out of my mind randomly"

"I see. These girls definitely do not deserve the love then, if they are so narrow-minded. even if the guys did betray them, I think there are better ways to get back at them without having to ruin their career which they have most genuinely devoted their blood, sweat and tears to. It also means the girls didn't understand them enough to know that their career could be the most important thing in their life"

"you didn't mind if I put my career before you?"

"no. Knowing you for so long, I saw you put in more blood, sweat and tears than anyone, I wouldn't want you to jeopardise your career with our relationship.."

"gomene, I have to be so sneaky when I hang out with you. When we were friends, I never felt a need to explain our relationship should the paparazzi take snapshots of us. now that the situation has changed, I don't wanna be questioned by it and then lie to them about having nothing between us. I don't wanna hurt you if I can help it,"

"don't worry, I totally understand. until you're ready, I'll stay invisible"

"don't say it that way, Umika. It makes me guilty..."

"let me change my phrasing, ne. I'll stay visible only to your eyes? is that to your liking?" Umika teased, then he chuckled.

Once the food came and they were sure that the waitresses would not pop by their table again, Ryosuke finally removed his mask and lowered his head to consume the food before him. Umika found herself gazing stupidly at his face, now that it is clear for admiration. Just when she was distracted by his face, he stuffed a piece of meat into , startling her initially, then they both broke out in a deliberately toned down laughter so that they won't attract attention. Ryosuke was completely at ease when he was with her, cause Umika would consciously keep a look out for on his surroundings, in case anyone noticed his presence and saw through his disguise. Hence, Ryosuke concentrated on stuffing the delicious steak into his mouth without much worries. In any case, Ryosuke has decided not to mention about 'Yamashi' since it was only going to make her nervous and awkward when it comes to answering his questions regarding this. 

"say Ryo, do you mind driving me to Tsutaya (music store) later?"

While sipping on his strawberry milkshake, savouring it to the very last drop, he replied with an extremely adorable, irresistible puppy look, "yea sure. but you're not getting our album are you?"

"nope, haha Ryosuke, I have all yours and your group's albums. Oh ya by the way, the next full album smart, i'll buy it myself. Don't give me a copy. This is the first album released after we started ne, so I wanted to make the effort to support your work,"

"arigatou Umika" he smiled brightly, then leaned closer and patted her head.

"I need to get some english albums to finish my project on english pop music. i really don't listen english songs," she sighed.

"er... I don't too. hmmm, maybe I can ask Keito? He'll probably know more than the 2 of us combine,"

"if it's not gonna impose on him, please help me ask him. Just make it a casual question..."

He chuckled, "no worries, I'll ask him. In the meantime, let's go check Tsutaya out first."

"alright, I'll get the bill while you prepare yourself,"

"eh Umika, do you think I look stern with my specs?" he asked randomly while he adjusted the specs on his face and looking in a hand held mirror he retrieved from his bag.

"no, you look handsome with it or without it. Actually I kinda liked you with specs once in a while, you look refreshingly cool with a bit of sterness. That's a great complement,"

"awesome! when I used this specs in the last concert for 'Just for you' (by Hey Say 7), I was quite conscious about wearing it on stage."

Umika chuckled and reassured him again before heading to the cashier, while Ryosuke put back on his mask and slowly made his way out so that he can reach her just as she settles the payment.

***

"hmmm... maybe you can try Justin Bieber? or hmmm Miley Cyrus... They are about our age and they are popular. Then if you one the true legend, you can start with Michael Jackson? hmmm, that's all I know Umika..." Ryosuke stood beside Umika who was already looking discouraged by the rows and rows of english albums. He is equally helpless, and the longer he stays beside her, the worst is his guilt. So he took the chance to dodge from the troubling affair and head to the Johnny's section where he located his own group's albums.

He was almost like a quality inspector, trying to analyse the sales of their albums by the number of copies left on the shelves. He nodded in satisfaction to see most of their albums with only 1 or 2 copies remained on the shelves. Just when he finished inspecting his own Mystery , Umika startled him with a pinch on his ears.

"Itaiiii, nandayo Umika"

"what are you looking at! I told you to help me, and you went to look at your own..." she pouted and turned her face to another side cheekily.

"U-Umika.. I" when Ryosuke wanted to explain for himself, another voice interrupted and overlaid his own such that he couldn't hear himself. He turned to where she was facing and saw a bigger-sized man walking towards her side. His eyes immediately widdened with shock at the sudden intrusion that caught him unprepared, then loosened his grip of her arms and faced the albums, appearing to be intensely searching for something to avoid being singled out or even noticed by the guy who appeared like her friend. 

"hey Umika Kawashima! long time no see!" the guy threw her an embrace and enveloped her in between his thick arms, almost crushing her beneath.

Ryosuke saw the intimacy from the corner of his eyes and felt himself fuming with jealousy. he was already grinding his teeth from beneath his mask, and a deep frown formed on his brows which made him looked more stern that he originally was with his specs.

Temporarily focused on the guy, Umika greeted delightfully, "oh my gosh... when did you come back Reno?! why didn't you tell me?"

"I just came back from my studies... well, I really miss Japan after almost ten years of being in Europe. I thought of giving you a surprise by dropping a visit to your family tomorrow, but I never thought I will see you here."

"ah I see... It's fated ne. I don't normally come to this Tsutaya outlet since it's out of the way, but I just happen to be nearby and needed to come here to do abit of a market research."

"oh research on music. cool"

"english music gives me a headache though, cause I don't know much"

"I can help. English is my forte and western music is almost my life"

"Really?! you can help me with it?"

"of course! and I was wondering why you are in this section. These are junk music. I'll show you what are real bands and singers!"

If Ryosuke weren't constrain by his identity, he would have heavily punched the guy by now. He was almost on the verge of losing control of himself when he heard those insults made right beside him. Worst of all, what saddens him is she didn't rebut. He bite his arms to maintain his sanity and hopes not to explode cause it will only lead to dire consequences if he did. But what made him truly helpless is what happened next.

"why not we chat over tea? There's a cafe around here right? I wanna hear about your life since I left. are you dating?"

Umika took a quick glance at Ryosuke from behind her shoulders as she was caught with a difficult question and didn't know how to answer...However, Ryosuke ignored her plea for help as he felt extremely frustrated by the fact that she didn't just answer yes immediately.

"er..."

"it's complicated, I understand that expression of yours," he laughed then gripped her by her shoulder and walked her towards the direction of the cafe by the music store.

"b-but.. b" she wanted not to go, turning her head to look at Ryosuke but because he avoided her eyes and Reno didn't quite give her the choice, so she ended up dragged away by him.

Ryosuke reluctantly trailed after then took a seat beside theirs, such that his back and hers was facing. This permitted him to listen to their conversation, openly eavesdropping about their past and their supposed future. He was tired from the long day of work, but it was his anger that kept him awake right up to the end of the chat. through a 30 minutes session, he gathered that this Reno was older than the 2 of them and was also a childhood friend of Umika, but knew her earlier than himself. Because Reno left to Europe for a good ten years, so he never knew his existence. He could sense Reno's interest in her from a guy's gut-feel, and felt extremely useless himself since he couldn't stand before Reno and claim authority over her.

"let me fetch you home..." Reno took her hands which took her aback. She saw Ryosuke noticed it, so she quickly pulled back without hurting Reno.

"I..er... I am meeting my friend..."

"this late into the night? it's almost 11pm. if he's a guy, it'll be dangerous," Such a question made Ryosuke speechless with flames bursting through his head.

"don't worry. I'll be okay" Umika answered. 

"alright, if you insist. then when you reach home, call me. I'm using my same number"

"okay. oyasumi Reno!"

"you too. sweet dreams darling.." he left a quick peck on his cheeks which stunned Umika though she knew it was common in the less conservative countries, but by now she could sense Ryosuke's anger. By the time Reno left, Umika returned to Ryosuke's side.

"R-Ryosuke... he's my childhood friend, Reno..."

"I heard that already. can we go now? I am really tired. and if you hadn't notice, your mum called you but you were too engrossed with catching up with your friend that you didn't pick up. She called me instead and I told her I'll bring you home by 12," he said coldly and didn't wait for her response before leading the way. She knew he was furious and tired at the same time, and she knew arguing with him is the last thing she wants to do after his long day. Besides, she has said plenty of hurtful stuff that could have hurt his dignity and pride. 

She followed him to his car then strapped herself with the seatbelt and sat silently beside him as he drove back to our neighbourhood. Throughout, he did not say a single word. She peeked at him several times, but his eyes was fully focused on the road and took no notice of her at all. The awkward silence stretched even after he walked her to her house after parking his car at his usual parking space. They walked side by side without uttering a single word, though she would very much love to hear him speak even if it is only a line. However, even until they reached her apartment, he didn't say a word except "goodbye."

She didn't want to end the day on a sad note, especially given that it has been days since he finally could spend time with her. She held back by grabbing his arms. He turned then looked at her expressionless. She leaned forward and dropped him a kiss on his lips with her hands securing his head by the nape of his neck. Though he didn't reciprocate and eventually she pulled back disappointedly, he tried his best to give her even the slightest smile. She knew it was a accomodating smile, but at least there's some reaction from him. An additional "goodnight" from him was also relieving.

Then when he turned and walked back down the lane to pick his car, she heard her own yearning for her own boyfriend as though she didn't get enough of it today. She didn't even mind spending the whole night chatting with him till dawn. Then a sense of guilt crept up along when she saw how lonely his backview was.

She took out her cellphone after her bathe that night. She wrapped herself in her blanket, tugging her big teddybear in her arms and fiddled with the keys of her phone.

****

"Ryosuke..

Are you sleeping already?" she texted. She thought she wouldn't be able to sleep if she didn't hear from him further. Her heart sank as she waited minutes after minutes, until she was almost certain he has already fallen asleep since the time reads 2am.

****

"not yet. are you?"

His reply came, but it was shorter and less hyper from his usual expressions. nonetheless, a reply is better than nothing

****

"what are you doing then? I can't sleep..."

****

"I'm just listening to songs and lying on my bed, mainly zoning out. try listening to some soft music if it helps"

****

"I was just listening to Jump's 'Gift' ^_^ "

****

"you could listen to other songs that are less junk"

Umika's heart was thumping heavily when she saw his discouraging message. She knew instantly that he is bearing a grudge about what Reno said earlier.

****

"Ryosuke, your voice is soothing enough to help me sleep..."

Sent.

"Sorry about today. I am truly sorry about what he said and what I said or didn't say about our relationship. I didn't want to get you into trouble cause I am really afraid he probe more about your identity if he knew I am dating. I am not a dimwit, I know he has liked me since we were young. But let me assure you I feel nothing for him. You are my bestest friend and my only boyfriend!"

If he didn't respond to this, Umika knew she would wanna dress up and dash to his house right away to see him. She was so uneasy as the time stretched again, and the deafening silence wasn't helping her calm down.

****

"it's my fault, not yours. Thank you for telling me this and for looking after my identity. I think you should really sleep now. Just blank out your mind, and you will be able to sleep. I'll see you in school. Nightz Umika."

Was he just trying to shrug me off or was he truly appeased, she thought over and over again. Only time would tell, and finally her eyelids turned heavier and fell asleep.