The rival

Friends Forever

2 weeks turned out to be a month. It has been one month since she last saw Ryosuke, one month since that day where they shared an unexpected passionate moment. No calls, no messages from him since. She tried not to think of him at all, but one thing she realised is that he is such an inclusive part of her life, that at every corner, she recalls their interaction. It has been agreed that when he is at work, she never calls to disturb (although Ryosuke has always told her it's okay), so for this entire month, Umika could only try to avoid his number. She even had to lock up her phone so she won't fall into temptation. Another reason is that she knew her yearning for him would explode if she hears his voice. That night has been so impactful to her that whenever she shuts her eyes, she'll remember every detail of the moment.

 

It is just another day, as Umika sat at her classroom desk and staring out of the window, into the energetic field, imagining Ryosuke and his clique playing soccer. But today, her thoughts are interrupted as someone she least expected tapped her shoulder.

"Kawashima senpai" A male's voice called out. She immediately jumped on her feet when she realised who he was. She remembered him from Shonen Club when Ryosuke forced her to watch his 'Mystery ' performance, oh, and not forgetting he's favourite senpai from Johnny's is Ryosuke so he is always found near Ryosuke. Moreover, Ryosuke doted this kouhai - Sato Shori.

She looked at him with shock as she wondered why he is looking for her.

"Gomenasai senpai. I didn't mean to scare you. This may sound sudden, but I hope you could hear me out," Shori said softly. He is so adorable and delicate like Ryosuke always describe. 

"sure. what is it about Shori-kun?... hope it's okay to call you this way" Umika smiled kindly.

"Yes, I prefer you calling me this way. I would like to ask if you could tutor me for math. I heard from Yamada-senpai and Chinen-senpai sometime back that your math is really superb. I am weak in a topic, and my test is coming. I am really quite desperate."

"isn't there any of your classmates who could help?"

"the opposite actually happened. so many people offered to help me (this didn't come as a surprise to Umika, since Shori is well-received among the juniors in Horikoshi, although Ryosuke, Chinen and Yuto dominated the popularity votes)...but you know my position, it's difficult to accept their offer. I was wondering since you are comfortable with celebrities like us, then it'll be best if I ask for your help instead." Shori said helplessly.

"don't worry about it. I'll help. I'm free any day, so let me know when you need me." Umika felt like she has to say yes as she feels bad if she rejected such a sincere kouhai. Besides, Umika knows perfectly the kind of constrains celebrities feel since she has seen Ryosuke experienced much worst stuff.

"That's so kind of you senpai! Is today okay with you? I can meet you at the restaurant outside school. I'll treat you at the same time, as a sign of gratitude"

"You're too kind, Shori-kun. But I'll accept your offer. See you after school then. You should get back to class, it's starting soon" Umika reminded.

"ah..i almost forgot. anyway see you senpai!" she feels so old when Shori calls her that.

Chinen and Yuto happened to passby Umika's class and saw the whole thing. They looked at each other in confusion as they couldn't comprehend why Shori is asking Umika for help. The two boys, as if telepathic, agreed there's something they need to do. Chinen took out his phone and send a message to a certain someone.

 

--------

Umika patiently taught Shori as they sat in the dimly-lighted restaurant from afternoon till night. She enjoyed teaching him surprisingly, as she felt that Shori was much more focused and cooperative when she is tutoring as compared to her lazy best friend, Ryosuke, who never fails to fall asleep when she teaches.

"senpai~ I am done" Shori showed Umika his solution to the final math problem, but Umika was again dazing into space. Shori had to resort to raising his voice to get her back in the game.

"ah gomenasai" She apologetically went over his solution and was delighted when she saw perfect answers. She was so engrossed with the piece of work that she didn't realise Shori staring at her.

"Umika?" finally he removed the honorifics. Umika turned to him and stare blankly.

"is there something bothering you these days? you look so distracted."

"erm... there's just one thing... i don't know how to put it. but have you had this feeling of loss when someone close to you leaves, even if it's temporary" Umika decided to confess her feelings to him, since he is not close to her, he probably will not poke fun of her.

"all the time." Umika was surprised with Shori's response.

"who is this someone?" Umika began to be curious.

"She's someone I have a crush on since I entered the school. No, actually I have a crush on her ever since I saw her in one of the closed door Johnny's family party" Shori looked into her eyes and said.

"wow. have you told her?" Umika asked

"no, but i plan to do it today."

"oh my. then I must be holding you up." she felt apologetic.

"no you aren't holding me up. Umika, I love you!" Umika's eyes widdened when she heard his confession. He grabbed her hand and said passionately, causing her to blush uncontrollably.

"I am always jealous of Yamada-senpai. He's talented, he is hardworking, daring and most importantly, he has such close relationship with you." Shori continued.

"Shori-kun, I..." Her heart is beating so fast as she flustered over how to politely reject him, but someone interrupted them rudely before she could continue.

"KONNICHIWA...can't believe I'll see you guys here!" both Umika and Shori were startled by the bright voice. They turned around and were shocked to see who's voice it belongs to.

"Ryosuke?!"

"senpai?!"

"close your mouth, you guys. It's not so surprising to see me here right. I just returned from my filming, so I was meeting the teachers to discuss about my study plan. I was famished thereafter, so I dropped by... Anyway, I don't think you guys will mind me joining right?" Ryosuke pushed Umika away from her seat and sat himself between Shori and her. She felt delighted to see him, but at the same time, she felt extremely irritated by his rude behaviour. He literally intruded into the conversation, and Umika could see the disappointment in Shori's eyes.

She was so angered that she focused on her drink and refused to look at him, as much as she wanted to for the past few weeks.

Ryosuke realised her frustration but couldn't be bothered. He turned to Shori and asked.

"Isn't that math? wait wait. Is Umika tutoring you? I thought math is your forte. You're like the top student in the level. You must be joking if you need her help" Umika was surprise to hear Ryosuke's words. Maybe Shori didn't need my help in the first place. He's just looking for an opportunity to confess to her. This idiotic Ryosuke will give him a hard time if he continues to stress him to reveal his true intentions. 

Umika realised Shori blushing, and knew that her analysis is correct. The least she could do is to save him from the agony of interrogation.

"he just needs help in this topic. anyway, Shori, thanks for the treat today. I'll talk to you tomorrow. I'll make a move first, it's getting late." she completely ignored the obnoxious Ryosuke and bidded farewell to Shori as if Ryosuke wasn't there.

She stomped out of the restaurant feeling angered at how she could have happily received Ryosuke and have a dinner, but the whole thing was just ruined by his rudeness and insensitivity.

Ryosuke ran after her and grabbed her arms aggressively. "Hey! where are you going? I need to talk to you."

"didn't you hear?! I said I'm going home! and there's nothing to talk about."

"so you spend hours talking to Shori, and even after you knew he has an ulterior motive to meet you, you still treat him so nicely, and you shove me away instead?!" Ryosuke said with a possessive tone.

"I can spend time with anyone. it's none of your business if I decide to meet him, even if he's motive was not genuine. You are so mean back there."

"it's my business who you meet!" Umika was surprised as his level of possession. It's like as though they are having a couple fight.

"you are either drunk or you have gone completely bonkers.  YOU DON'T OWN ME!" Umika shook his hand away and turned away from him, only to be pulled aggressively into his embrace this time.

"HEY!!!" Umika struggled, but the more she tried to push him away, the more agressive he became. What came next was so shocking that it started a whole lot of mixed feeling in her.

He pushed her against the wall and forced his lips on her. He pressed his whole weight on her and he even tried to break through her tightly shut lips. It is like as though the lust in him is overflowing and he is about to consume her. She, for once, felt fearful of her best friend. She never imagined herself in this situation, she never imagined that her best friend who is always so concerned about her will be the one who hurt her this way. She felt offended and tried to resist, but his strength is so great, even his veins on his firmed arms are close to exploding.

"g-go away! R-Ryosuke!" she could barely speak with his lips and tongue intruding into hers.

"GET AWAY FROM HER!" She took a while to comprehend what just happened. Shori dashed out from nowhere and gave Ryosuke a nasty punch

"ITAI!" Ryosuke fell to the ground. His lips was bleeding.

"I didn't know you are such a jerk! senpai!" Shori shouted and ran towards him and continued punching his face.

"Stop Shori! I'm okay." She ran forward and held back Shori. After confirming that Shori has calmed down, she went towards the beaten Ryosuke and tried to tend to the bruises and wounds on his face.

"is it painful?" she touched one of the wounds beside his lips, but he pushed her aggressively away and she fell to the ground. Umika looked as he stood up. He stared at both Umika and Shori intensely. Umika has never seen Ryosuke with such stare that is filled with hatred. He is looking at her with that pair of eyes that she felt as though he is gonna kill her.

Shori held me up and stood beside me in case he does anythin foolish.

Ryosuke didn't speak a word, he turned and ran away. I looked at him as his shadow disappear into the alley.

"are you okay, Umika? did he hurt you?" Shori asked but she was too stunned to reply. Aside from her shock, she was worried about her best friend, afraid that he's hurt...

"gomenasai Shori, to get you into this...."

"does he do this often? he really disappointed me." Shori exclaimed. Umika felt the urge to protect Ryosuke.

"Shori, Ryosuke isn't what you saw today. He is kind, considerate and always concerned about me. I am not sure what's with him today, but don't stop believing in him and admiring him. I think I need sometime alone. See you tomorrow Shori-kun" She heartlessly turn her back to the concerned Shori. Her heart is aching so badly and her mind is all filled with Ryosuke that she couldn't care about Shori's confession. Also, she doesn't want to give him any false hope.

She walked against the lonely street, alone, pondering over what has earlier happened. and a virtual letter formed in her brain...

Ryosuke...

How are you feeling?

It's surreal isn't it?

How did our friendship turned out to be like this.

our 18 years of friendship, such a thing has never happened.

In fact, this year alone, there's so much happening between us.

I am beginning to doubt our relationship.

Can we really be FRIENDS forever? I really am not sure.

Are our feelings mutual?

I don't know what is best for us right now.

Normally, I would turn to you when I am faced with problems, and you do the same.

But this time, I think it's impossible right.

We've both hurt each other this time.

I have never seen this side of you before.

It's like I don't know you at all.

I am afraid that this will soon be the end.

What am I going to do, Ryosuke?