(23)

What Life Is All About

“This is your captain speaking, we’re going to land in few minutes more. Please stay in your seat and stay safe.”

The time that were spent being on the flight finally came into an end as the captain finally announced their arrival to Jeju-do. The plane was getting ready to make its landing, sending the passengers to their destination. Naeun was the first one to be up since she could easily be woken to slight noises. Her lips drew a thin line as she glanced at the person beside her. Chorong was sleeping really soundly that she didn’t even have heart to wake her up. “She must have a lot of things in her mind.” She muttered quietly before looking towards the others. Everyone were still sleeping, except there’s Sungjong who’s sitting three seats in front of her, still humming to the music in his ears. That guy really had a lot of energy, didn’t he? Judging by his concentration on his music, she assumed that the latter didn’t hear the captain’s earlier announcement. If not, he would’ve woken up the sleeping Dongwoo beside him.

“Ahem.” A soft cough could be heard from behind. Naeun looked back, only to find a sleepy Sunggyu who’s still seems recovering from his cough earlier. Beside him, there’s a sleeping Eunji who seems still didn’t want to wake up. Oh yes, Eunji is a big-sleeper. She’s the hardest to wake among all of them. Well, at least she’s a little better than Bomi, she thought as she took a glance of sleeping Bomi, on the seat from the other side. Hayoung must had a thick patience to deal with her snores.

Naeun let out a soft sigh. This trip will be a good thing to improve her bond with the girls, oh and also the boys. She really thought a lot and expect a lot good, great and amazing things that might happen during their trip. “Let us have a good time.” She prayed, closing her eyes for a moment. When she opened her eyes, she was greeted by a sight of a sick latter — her eyes widen in shock as the latter almost stumbled upon her, only that he was quick enough to support himself to the seat in front of her.

“S-sorry.” The latter said, almost losing his voice. Naeun shook off her head and instead she felt sorry for the latter. Seriously, she wondered what did the latter have done to cause him being sick like this. “Do you need any help, Woohyun-oppa?”

Woohyun slumped a bit before shaking off his head weakly. He pulled off the hood of his jacket, revealing his blonde hair and weak face. Yet, he still managed to give a sweet smile to the younger girl. “Don’t worry, Naeun-ah. This Oppa is totally fine.” He said, while his eyes trailed to the person beside Naeun. He can’t help but to admit that his heart flattered at the sight of Park Chorong sleeping so soundly and calmly. Damn, she sleeps like an angel. Woohyun quickly shrugged off his thoughts. No, he shouldn’t think about Chorong.

“I’m going to washroom for a while.” Woohyun said, continue to walk along the aisle of the plane. Naeun nodded, just hoping that the older latter won’t stumble upon the other passengers’ seats. She’s worried for Woohyun of course, duh the guy should just stay at home instead of going to the trip. Proper rest is more recommended, judging to his condition.

“Ugh.” Naeun was quite shocked. She turned to her right, only to find Chorong with opened-eyes, a frustrated expression was plastered on the elder’s face. “Unnie are you—” She couldn’t finish her sentence as Chorong cut her off, “I swear that he’s freaking stupid for tagging along.” Naeun raised her brows, feeling quite confused. But then, it hits her — oh, Chorong was probably talking about Woohyun.

“Ahem.” Naeun cleared before started to speak again. “He just went to the toilet.” With a sigh Chorong replied, “I know.” Judging by the way her older mate spoke, she could assume that Chorong was probably worried about the latter. Aha, that’s a good sign.

It’s already been like 10 minutes since Woohyun had been gone to the toilet, and the plane was going to land — which he was supposed to be back on his seat, which he didn’t and it made Chorong to be surrounded with worried feelings around her. Chorong tried to wait for a little bit more but she totally lost it because she couldn’t handle that freaking worried feelings on her chest, so she decided to get up from her seat — which makes everyone felt surprised. Seriously, even Naeun herself almost freaked out because she just jumped out from her seat without any warning.

“Excuse me, Miss — but we’re going to land soon so could you please —” Chorong totally ignored the stewardess call and went straight towards the gents. As she stepped her feet in front of the door, her hands started to knock the door for few times — and yet there’s no answer. It made her damn worried feelings raised to the level she didn’t know how to describe and she started to call out Woohyun’s name. The stewards and stewardess became panicked and all of them came running, asking her what’s happening.

“Yah, Nam Woohyun! Open the door!” She shouted, didn’t give any if the other passengers on the plane felt pissed off because of it — she didn’t care, all she wants right now is to make sure that Nam freaking Woohyun is alright, despite the fact he’ve been in the toilet for past 15 minutes. He wouldn’t suffering of diarrhea, didn’t he?

“Miss, please go back to your seat. We’ll settle this —” A tall and tough looking steward said as soon as he approached her. There’s some other stewardesses were standing behind his back, which she would assume that they’re newbies as they seemed quite inexperienced. Chorong stopped knocking the door finally, brought a slight relief to the stewards. But it didn’t last long when Chorong suddenly stated her request, “Break the door.” She said in a serious tone, making the steward to widen his eyes.

“Hey — hey what’s happening?” Sunggyu who just arrived at the scene seemed quite confused about the ruckus. Gah, he should’ve come earlier with her. “Woohyun have been in the toilet for almost like 20 minutes. I’ve been knocking the door for many time but no answer.” Chorong sent her eyes to Sunggyu, signaling him to help her dealing with the stewards. “Uhh, maybe he’s actually in there but he’s being shy?” Sunggyu said, trying to be positive. For god’s sake, the plane was going to land at no time, they should be hurry.  “Hey, buddy. You’re in there?” Sunggyu knocked. And there’s absolutely no answer. Chorong already crossed her arms over her chest, eyes glaring at the steward earlier.

“Would you, please?” Sunggyu said to the steward who seemed out of clue. “Breaking the door seems like a great option for now.” Sunggyu added, along with his eye smile. The steward seems not so sure of what Sunggyu had requested but then, he did agreed after Sunggyu said, “I’ll be responsible of what comes later.” Chorong had to admit that she loves how Sunggyu dealt with things, oh gosh so smooth.

“Bang!” The door was broken at one try — revealing a weak body lying on the not-so-spacious floor. Chorong’s eyes were opened wide, oh God her intuition was right. “Oh my god, Nam Woohyun!” She approached the latter’s body, Sunggyu came quite little after bit as he asked the steward to inform the airport’s medic team.

“Woohyun-ah.” She put a hand on his forehead. “Oh my god, he’s burning hot.” Sunggyu let out a sigh as she heard Chorong’s remark. “I shouldn’t let him come. He’ve been sick since yesterday but he still insists to join the trip.” Sunggyu’s hand trailed on Woohyun’s chest. Thank god, his heartbeat sounds normal.

“Come on Chorong, let’s move him to any seat. We’re going to land soon.” With that, both of them moved the unconscious Woohyun with the help of the stewards. Chorong still couldn’t stay calm. Not until this Nam freaking Woohyun opened his eyes — oh god, she swore that she’s going to give him a super long lecture as soon as he became alive again.


Jeju National University Hospital;

 

“Ugh.” Woohyun grunted softly in his sleep. The sound IV drops dripping could be heard as the room was fully in silent. Sunggyu, being the only one who was allowed to enter the VIP room kept quiet as he observed one of Nam’s family personal doctors, Dr. Kang Maru.

“How are you feeling, Mr. Nam?” The doctor greeted the sick latter as he examined him. The young Nam have been knocked for almost two hours after he got admitted as soon as they got landed. Woohyun slowly opened his eyes, his vision was quite blurry but he managed to recognize his family’s personal doctor. “Uh, Kang-songsaengnim. Not really good —” He answered weakly. The headache attacked him again and he started closing his eyes again to refrain the pain. As doctor jotted down few things on his record, Sunggyu came to him with a very worried face.

“Oh, god. You should’ve just rested at home.” Sunggyu said worriedly as he tried to prevent himself from blabbering to the younger one because he knew that Woohyun won’t like it. Not during he was being sick. Sunggyu then turned to the doctor, asking the latter’s condition.

“Mr. Nam just need more rest. Being warded for few days might help to relieve his high fever. It’s getting better though. You did a great job, Mr. Nam in enduring it.” The doctor drew a smile as Woohyun started to grunt again. “Please consume more water, and eat more too.” With that he ended his check up.

Sunggyu thanked the doctor before he left the room. Woohyun was damn lucky because the fever started to wear off. “Aish, this kid.” Sunggyu muttered as he approached the patient’s bed again. Woohyun already opened his eyes since his headache was slowly reducing.

“Where’s the others?” Woohyun asked him.

Sunggyu let out a deep breath. “I’ve already told Myungsoo to lead the group to his holiday-villa. They’re definitely fine, except during the time you collapsed on the plane. Damn, you really freaked us out.”

Hearing the elder’s babble, Woohyun let out a weak chuckle. “Well, I did?”

“Damn, you did! Everyone was so busy resting and sleeping — for god’s sake not one of us realized that you went to the plane’s toilet with this kind of condition. You didn’t know how worried I was! I was so panicked when I thought that Chorong was going to pick a fight with the steward for not wanting to break the toilet’s door. I swear —”

“Wait.” Woohyun cut Sunggyu and his blabbering off. “Did you just said something about Park freaking Chorong being worried of me?” He asked the elder for confirmation. The thing that he just heard just now sounded like as if it’s impossible.

“Well, to be fairly speaking — yes. She’s the one who ran to the toilet and keep knocking the toilet’s door but there’s no answer from you so — yeah, I came after that and boom! There’s an unconscious guy lying on the toilet’s floor as soon as we broke the door.” Whoa, Woohyun almost couldn’t believe of what he just heard. He couldn’t believe that he collapsed on the freaking toilet floor which sounded so disgusting yet when he remembered the fact that Chorong being worried him made him felt quite happy. At least for a little bit, he could take a deep breath now. Without he realized, his lips drew a thin smile. God, it’s unbelievable.

“Chorong was worried about me?” Woohyun mumbled, which Sunggyu could still clearly hear. The elder guy raised his brows, narrowing his eyes while looking the patient in front of him. “Well, I guess I can say she was and you owe her for saving your life.” Sunggyu took this opportunity to break the fight between those two hot-headed teenagers. Like seriously, they should just talked to each other directly if they had any problems with each other. Silent treatment won’t be a solution, after all.

“So, I guess that I’ll be off. Need to take care of the kids and re-organized the whole trip.” Sunggyu let out a little sigh, he stretched his body a little bit before taking his phone on the side table. “I’m sorry, hyung. It wouldn’t be like this if I just stayed at home.” Woohyun really did meant it. He was really sorry. It’s his fault for being so selfish. It’s not that he was not aware that he was sick but — he really wanted to join the trip no matter what since everyone was in it. Specifically, Chorong. It’s already been a long time since he distanced himself away from her and he gotta admit that he missed the girl. Yeah, quite much.

“Don’t blame yourself, Woohyun. A trip without you won’t be fun at all. So why don’t just rest and have a fast recovery? We’re going to rock this trip together, all of us. Alright, buddy?” Sunggyu’s kind words moved Woohyun to the core of his heart. Damn, he sounded like Nam Sunggyu, not Kim Sunggyu. He’s glad that Sunggyu was the most reliable among of them.

“Thank you, Gyu-hyung.” Once again, he really meant his words. How he wished that he could get discharge right now so that the others won’t need to wait for him for quite long. Ugh, it to stay at the hospital for too long. Woohyun would never got used to it.

“I shall get going. Someone should’ve taken care of you while I’m gone. No worries, though. I’ll come back later on the next day.” Sunggyu took his car keys, getting ready to exit the room. “Hey— wait!” Woohyun called out, causing Sunggyu to turn his back. “Did my parents just transferred our maids here to nurse me?”

Sunggyu was puzzled as he heard Woohyun’s words. Duh, this kid had too much unnecessary thoughts in his mind. “No, dummy. Your parents didn’t even know about you being here. I bet you wouldn’t like it if I did so, don’t you?” Yeah right. Sunggyu was right, he didn’t want his parents to know if he was sick. They’re too busy thinking other things anyway.

“Good job, hyung. Okay great, I love you and I owe you!” Sunggyu rolled his eyes, he exited the room with a low thump at the door. Sighs, now Woohyun was all alone, the only sound that he can hear was the sound of IV drips, dripping accurately. Man, it’s so bored.

After few minutes Sunggyu left, he heard a knock on his ward’s door. Ah, it must be the person who’s going to accompany him for the rest of stay in the hospital. Thank god, he won’t be bored too much. “Come in.” He tried to say it as loud as he could. His throat still felt sore because of the fever.

The sound of door opening made him to weakly reverted his eyes towards the door. He let out a small gasp as soon as he saw the actual person who probably be the one that knocked the door earlier. He didn’t know what kind of expression or greeting he should give — he just stayed silent because his lips felt like as if they were locked.

The atmosphere became totally awkward as the person stopped right at the door, looking as if it was dangerous to approached the patient who’s lying weakly on his bed. Woohyun began to think about what should he do. “Damn, Sunggyu-hyung. He should’ve told me earlier.” Woohyun couldn’t help, but cursed the elder for putting himself in this kind of situation. This super duper awkward situation.

He eyes roamed throughout the room and stopped at the sofa which located not far from his bed. Yeah, that would help. Woohyun cleared his throat before started speaking. “Have a seat there.” Woohyun gave a signal with his eyes. The person started to walk in and Woohyun could see that there’s few bags filled with apples and other fruits, also some drinks in the person’s hands. God, seems like he’s going to be fruit-lover after this. Or a vegetarian, perhaps.

After placing the bags on the coffee table, the person walked to him which in his surprise — that particular person pulled out the chair beside his bed and started to fill the seat. Oh my god, he barely could breathe.

Woohyun didn’t knew how to react at all, he only kept gulping on his own saliva and his eyes kept staring at the empty white-coloured ceiling. He didn’t even dare himself to set his sight on the right side.

He could hear the person let out a soft sigh, Woohyun could simply assume that the person must still felt tired. It made him became worried too. Oh, screw this. After being quiet for a long time, Woohyun finally decided to break down the wall of awkwardness between him and the person.

“You shouldn’t be here.” He tried to not sound as cold as he spoke to the person before. Well, he would be counted as ungrateful if he did because that person was the one who saved him today. That person — Park Chorong.

“Then, where should I be?” Woohyun didn’t even expecting an answer from her, but there she was replying to his statement. Woohyun was kind of glad since she spoke with the normal tone of hers — no coldness behind her voice. Her voice sounded so pleasing and friendlier to his ears. Would this meant a good sign?

Woohyun carefully to the right side of him, there sat Park Chorong— the girl who he hurt before for her own sake. When he thought about what happened to him today, he just wished that he didn’t pushed her away before. “You could’ve just go back to Myungsoo’s villa. Have a rest there, you must be tired because of the flight.” His voice sounded a little softer.

Chorong let out a light chuckle, “Says the person who lost his consciousness in the plane’s toilet.” He couldn’t believe it. Chorong just freaking mocked him in a playful way. The thing that he never experienced with her before. Woohyun couldn’t help but drew himself a thin smile on his lips. But still, he felt bad for her. He felt like he’s a loser for distancing himself away just like that and threw harsh words on her before. Duh, why couldn’t he turn back the time?

“Hey, just — take a good rest, alright?” Chorong said. Her eyes showed worries, it made Woohyun to feel ashamed of himself even more. Chorong didn’t deserve any harsh treatments for him, and he didn’t deserve any good treatments from her. For her sake, he’ve been ignoring her since last few weeks. He didn’t want her to be disturbed or tortured again by his crazy fangirls.

“I’m sorry.” He told Chorong. He was too ashamed to even stare her in the eyes. He felt like as if he wanted to disappear from her sight for awhile. “Duh, why are you even apologizing.” Chorong replied along with a soft sigh. Woohyun raised his face up so that he could face the girl clearly, “I just —”

“I accept your apology for being an idiot.” Chorong cut him off. Ouch, it sounded so harsh yet Woohyun felt good as he heard it. The other part of his heart felt relieved for some reason. At least he won’t felt guilty as much as before.

“So.... Uh....” Woohyun scratched the back of his head as he stared at the girl. He had this kind of ‘I’m sorry for everything’ face on him and he was kinda nervous when he continue his words, “Are we okay? I mean.... Friends?”

Chorong didn’t even budge when she heard the words. Instead she only gave a long stare to the latter, which probably the reason why Woohyun felt so damn nervous. After the long silence, Chorong finally answered.

“Rather than friends, I guess it’s more appropriate to call ourselves as the one who owed each other.” Woohyun was truly shocked when he heard her answer. God, this girl ain’t easy at all.

“So.. We are in debt, huh?” Woohyun tried his best to play along with a smug on his face. Ugh, just when he thought that everything would be better but then Chorong destroyed it all. He couldn’t blame her though, like he said — she’s the hard one, just as hard as him.

“Perhaps, you didn’t remember the promise that I made with you when we designed Eunji’s wedding dress. Don’t you?” She said, sarcastically. Okay, here we go.

“A promise? Between two of us?” Woohyun closed his eyes trying reminiscence the thing that Chorong had spoken before.

Oh. That thing.

A smile was drawn on Woohyun’s lips. He couldn’t believe that Chorong actually remembered ‘that’. Uh-oh, he totally had forgotten about the thing — blame his fangirls for screwing up everything.

“So... What’s about it?” Woohyun asked, rising his brows.

“Well,” Chorong cleared before speaking and she tried to put that serious expression on her face. “Since I’ve already saved you from the incident on the plane before,” Woohyun rolled his eyes, he just couldn’t believe what he’s going to hear after this.

“Technically, you owe me your life.” Chorong phrased. Woohyun couldn’t help but nod because she was totally right. If it’s not because of her he might be able to recover at all. “So?”

“So, here’s the thing. Let’s settle our debt to each other.” The girl simply said. Woohyun felt like as if he wanted to laugh out loud right now because he was so amused of the girl in front of him. Totally one of a kind.

“What’s the deal?” Woohyun asked, anticipating. Seriously, he couldn’t even expect a thing that she would say.

“I’ve saved you so my petition is to cancel the promise that I’ve made to you before.” Woohyun felt a tug on his heart when she heard what Chorong just said. Actually, he got that kind of thought on his mind that she would do this but — damn, he didn’t expect this.

Taking a deep breath, he answered back. “No.” Chorong didn’t really react after she heard his answer, it’s like as if she also already expected his answer. “I know that you would say that.” She remarked in a sarcastic voice.

Chorong stared away, her hand grabbed a can of coffee from the plastic bag that she’d brought earlier. “Okay then, how ‘bout we go with this.” She reverted her eyes back to Woohyun while sipping on her coffee. A playful smile was plastered on her lips, “You grant me a wish and I’ll do the same too. Fair and square isn’t it?” She proposed. Hm, it’s weird. “That’s it? I mean, that’s all?” Woohyun asked for confirmation once again because he thought that Chorong’s condition was too..Nice? It’s so not her.

“Uh... Well, not sure if I should agree or not but if it didn’t include a wish to cancel my wish on you I won’t oppose.” Woohyun said, it feels like he’s dealing a business with some big companies.

“Then you shall grant me a wish. This must be done after you are discharged.” Chorong put down her coffee can and gazed at the latter seriously. Woohyun gulped on his own saliva, almost couldn’t believe that he’s having this kind of conversation with Chorong.

“Remove that blonde color of your hair. It’s freaking distracting.” Okay. Now he’s saying it for real. He didn’t expect that. “What are you—” She cut him off, “I don’t have any other wish, just that. I want the old Woohyun back.” As she said that, her gaze was reverted to the floor. Woohyun could see that she’s playing with her fingers and also noticed some shades of reddish color her cheeks. Oh god, she’s so cute.

Woohyun couldn’t help but let out a small chuckle. When he thought that everything would be serious but then — it turned out like this and somehow he’s glad. He totally didn’t give a damn about changing the color of his hair. He didn’t like the color that much.

“Perhaps, do you miss me?” Woohyun asked playfully as he brought his face closer to her. Chorong who was shocked of what Woohyun’s doing immediately got up from her seat. “Uh, I think I need to go to the restroom.” Just like that, Chorong drove herself out from Woohyun’s private ward with a thump on the door. Her heart was beating quite fast that she might don’t need a stethoscope to listen on her own heartbeat.

“Damn, Nam Woohyun.” She cursed as she leaned on the door.

For the first time on his life, Nam Woohyun felt happy for being hospitalized. Maybe he should hold himself from recovering, but then when he thought about it again — it’s better to recover so that he can a beautiful summer memory with that someone.

“Alright, dear self. Let’s recover!” He made a fist bump with himself. Lol, maybe he didn’t any pills at all to recover because he already had his own happy pills. Most importantly, that one happy pill.

 

 

Sorryfor not writing for a long time T_______T Actually, the story got hold up because I have too many assignments during this semester. I'm reaching the end of semester so I'll be having my finals soon! Pray for my success lovelies! And also, pls pray so that I'll have time to write frequently again /sobs/ I really miss writing. Till we meet again in the next chapter, I love you guys! Sorry for making you wait for too long :'(