(14)

What Life Is All About

          Woohyun threw himself on the sofa while letting out a relieved sigh. He felt damn so tired. Good thing that he’s already finished with his school project. It’s his senior year and he needs to get a great result for the project. After all, it’s amazing. The dress is totally amazing! Well yeah, thanks to Park Chorong everything really went well. She’s very talented. Tch, no wonder she wanted it so much. Moreover, he’s happy that he finally had a chance to spend time with that cold-hearted girl. It feels like a dream. He kept remembering the moment when they worked on the project. Um, he meant Eunji’s wedding dress.

            It made him smile by himself. It’s one of the best moments in his life. For the first time, they don’t bicker for too long and managed to throw jokes on each other.

            “Park Chorong….. What’ve you done to me?” He closed his eyes.

            “Dude, are you being lovesick?” A voice jerked him which made him to open his eyes. “Damn you,” He muttered under his breath. The latter lightly chuckled upon his respond.

            “What the hell, Lee Sungyeol!” He shot a glare towards the latter with a you-better-don’t-tell-anyone on his face. Sungyeol took the opposite seat and shifted his gaze on his friend.

            “Yah, are you serious?” Woohyun cleared his throat and turned away while nodded slowly.

            “You think?”

            “It seems like you’re serious. And….” He paused which made Woohyun felt curious.

            “What?”

            “It’s a good thing then,” Sungyeol said while grinning a little. Woohyun shot him a confused look. “And why is that?”

            Sungyeol chuckled lightly before saying, “It’ll be your cure,” Woohyun shrugged off. He definitely knew what’s Sungyeol saying.

            “You think so?”

            Sungyeol let out a heavy sigh before looking at Woohyun helplessly. He knew how hurted Woohyun was because of his past.

            “Perhaps.. You’re still haunted by your own past?” Woohyun raised his brows upon hearing what the latter said. Woohyun also didn’t sure about that. Was it because of his past that he ruined himself?

            “Come on Hyun.. You know that it’s already been few years since that ‘incident’ happened. I need the ‘old’ Nam Woohyun. Is it too much too be asked?” Woohyun kept being silent, trying to think about what Sungyeol just said. Sungyeol stood up from his seat, he knew that Woohyun needed some time to think about it. His past was the reason why he turned himself into a player, playing with the girls’ hearts.

            “Take your time, Nam Woohyun. I know that the Park Chorong girl may be a help for you,” With that, he leave the house with some of stuffs. Probably the stuffs for Sunggyu’s wedding since Sunggyu asked all 6 of them to give some help for his wedding preparation.

            Oh, whatever. He doesn’t to think about all of those stuffs for now. He needed some rest. Suddenly he tried to remember about what Sungyeol just said.

 

            “Perhaps.. You’re still haunted by your own past?”

 

            Woohyun scoffed as he closed his eyes. “My past, huh?” He muttered as he tried to remember the bitter story of his life. The moment when he decided to ruin himself, just because of a useless girl. But then he fell into a deep sleep because of his tiredness.

 

            “Darn it,” He muttered as he saw a figure that he loved the most with… Another guy. And it’s not even him. This is bull. He hid himself behind the wall while peeking at both of them. He almost lost his sense but lucky then Sungyeol was with him.

            “Dude, I’m sorry that you’ve got to see this,” Sungyeol said with a sorry tone. Woohyun gazed at him helplessly as he heard the conversation between the two persons.

            “So… What you’re going to do with him?”

            “Who?” The girl asked while smiling wickedly.

            “That Nam Woohyun guy, of course. He’s too crazy for you,” The girl cracked a michevious laugh. “No. I’m going to leave him be. He begged for my love too much. His money costs more though. I can’t believe that he actually believe that I loved him with all of my heart. Tch, what a fuss.”

            Woohyun clenched his fist tight and gritted his teeth. He felt so dumb and useless. For all this time, he’d being cheated by the person that he loved. For God’s sake, it’s his first love. He thought that his experience for the first love would be innocent and great, but then he never knew that it turned like this. He was cheated by some material girl. His heart just broke into pieces like the shattered glasses.  

            “Dude, what are you going to do now?”

            “I don’t know, man. It’s so sudden. I never thought that it would end up like this,” Woohyun breathed hopelessly. Sungyeol could see how hurted his friend was in his eyes. It’s for the first time that Woohyun ever fell in love. But then, she’s maybe not the right one for him.

            Ever since then, Woohyun never gave a for the girls. He started to seduce every girls with his money and of course with his charm. But in the end, he’ll dump each of them not that heartlessly; because he often told the phrase “Never trust in love easily,” before he officially ended up his relationship with them.

 

            Woohyun opened his eyes again and got up from the comfy seat. He glanced at his wrist watch. It’s already 3.00 p.m. Oh crap, he needs to go to the wedding hall in the evening.

            “Gosh, the one who’s getting married is Sunggyu but then it feels like I’m the one who’s getting married!” He whined to himself as he ruffled his hair into mess. Seriously, he’s still not ready to work out yet.

            “Oh man, please let me to sleep for a few hours more,” He said as he leaned his head against the sofa. Not long after that his phone vibrated and showed ‘You’ve got a message’ sign. He lazily opened the message, staying still on his spot.

 

From : Park Chorong

Oi, Mr. Nam! Please be here (wedding hall) before 5p.m.

Let’s present the dress together! It’s our masterpiece, right?

If you’re late, I’m going to make sure that I’ll kick you

in the so please be hurry!

 

            Without his realization, a smile crept on his face. The text might sounded cruel in the other way but it makes him felt so happy. He couldn’t even keep his eyes away from the word ‘together’ and ‘our’ which included in the text message wow like seriously? Did Park Chorong really sent him this text? He almost couldn’t believe it!

            “I think I can still smile even though after being kicked,” He mumbled without even stop smiling. Without waiting any longer, he quickly bolted to his room. He needs to prepare himself for today’s event.

            “Wait for me, Miss Park. Let’s show them our ‘masterpiece’.”

 

            ‘Click!’

            Naeun rolled her eyes as she heard the sound. When she turned back, she knew that what she thought was true. It’s him. The weird Kim Myungsoo. “Hi, Miss Son,” He greeted her while switching off his camera. She threw him a warm smile and greeted him back, “Hi, Mr. so-called-mystery-caller,” Myungsoo grinned playfully upon her mark.

            Myungsoo made his steps towards her. The girl looks beautiful as always. Her long black wavy hair was tied into a bun. She’s wearing a pink floral dress which makes she looks quite feminine and cute.

            “So…. How does the preparation goes? Is everything okay?” He blurted out the random question because he couldn’t think of any topic anymore.

            “It’s going well as you see,” She said, throwing a look on some workers who’s working hard to decorate the wedding hall as they’re instructed.

            “Nicole-unnie managed everything really well and the preparation really goes smoothly as planned. Ah, she’s a professional indeed,”

            “I guess so.. This hall looks amazing with those decorations,” Myungsoo said, totally admiring the floral concept which is used by the workers to decorate the wedding hall. Everything looks beautiful and pretty.

            “Anyway…. Where’s the others? I think I only saw Sungyeol-sunbaenim,” Naeun said. Myungsoo  shrugged as he didn’t know. “Maybe they got something else to be done,” Naeun let out a light chuckle while eyeing the future-newlyweds in front of her. Sunggyu was having Eunji in his arms while examining the decoration made by the workers. Myungsoo who realized this responded, “I can’t believe that he’s really getting married,”

            “Same goes with me. She’s just a year older than me and she’s getting married to soon. Yet, I’m glad that she’s married with him.” Myungsoo raised his brows as he heard her.

            “Really?” She slightly nodded. “Mr. Kim seems like a reliable person. I think he’ll take care of her well,” Naeun said as she looked at Myungsoo. Myungsoo gave her a ‘what-a-relief’ expression.

            “That’s good then. I also believe that Eunji can be his strength.”

            “Strength?” Naeun looked at him confusedly as she tried to understand what Myungsoo just said.

            “It’s just…. Um.. I mean that he may looks strong, but then he still needs someone to make him stronger. You know, lately he’s being so down because of his works. Not to mention the pressure and the stressful environment.”

            “Ah…. I see. May both of them can complete each other and accept each other’s flaws.” Naeun prayed. Myungsoo smiled as he found that Naeun was so nice, praying for the others good and happiness. What a human angel.

            “Yah, Kim Myungsoo!”A shout from  Sungyeol interrupted their conversation. Myungsoo lazily responded to Sungyeol, “What is it hyung?” Myungsoo silently prayed, ‘Damn this hyung please don’t be a er here!”

            The tall latter made his way towards both of them. Sungyeol handed him some kind of receipts. “What’s this?” Myungsoo questioned irritatedly.

            “Sunggyu-hyung asked you for a help to take the wedding cake at the bakery. It’s urgent dude, and please sent it to the future-bride’s house.” Sungyeol explained, which earned an unsatisfied look from Myungsoo.

            “Why me?”

            “Because you’re the one who’s looking so unemployed, kiddo! Am I right, Naeun-ah?” Sungyeol tried to earn Naeun’s support. Naeun grinned playfully and nodded. Myungsoo felt so irritated. He’s having a great time chatting with Son Naeun but then Sungyeol came and ruined it. “Fine… I’ll go..” Myungsoo said half-heartedly. He made his heavy steps towards the exit of the wedding hall. But then…

            “Hey, wait for me!” Naeun shouted out from the back while pacing up to him. Myungsoo tried to control himself from smiling, almost couldn’t believe that she’s coming with him.

            “Sungyeol-sunbaenim asked me to go with you,” She said while panting. Myungsoo shifted his gaze to Sungyeol. Sungyeol gave him a heart-warming smile while making a ‘thumbs-up’ sign. Myungsoo grinned at him. “I owe you one, Choding-hyung.” He said quietly.

            “Come on, let’s go.” He said as he walked to Sunggyu’s car along with Naeun. For the first time, they’re going out together. Well, maybe it’s not official but he would like to call this as a date. Just as he went into the car, his phone vibrated. Myungsoo checked out the notification;

 

From: Sungyeol-hyung

Dude, you really owe me this one!

Please buy me a cup of Iced Americano

in return. Enjoy yourso-called-date!

           

            “Lee Seungyeol, you’re the best.” He muttered while grinning happily. Naeun already took the seat beside the driver’s seat.

            “Let’s go Myungsoo… I don’t want to be late,” Naeun said after she settled up with the safety belt. Myungsoo nodded and started to drive Sunggyu’s car to their current destination. It feels strange to him because he never had the experience to have a girl as his passenger. Usually, he would only drive Woohyun and his other friends.

            “Wow, you’re really good.” Naeun praised his driving skills.

            “Nah… I’m still an amateur.” He joked. There’s a long silence between them after that. There we go…. The awkwardness really has to be the only -blocker between him and her. Naeun was so into watching the scenery outside of the car. The buildings, skycrapers and complexes were not a rare thing. For all these years, she’ve been trapped in this urban jungle. Yet still, Seoul is a beautiful place.

            “Ah… How I wish I could be out from Seoul for a while,” Naeun suddenly said, cracking the ice between them. She leaned her head against the seat, probably wanted to take a rest for a while. She’ve been working since yesterday and she’s still feel worn out.

            Myungsoo drew a smile, “Why did you said that? Don’t you usually went to a vacation at somewhere else?” Naeun slightly shook her head.

            “I rarely went to vacation since my brother was busy with his works. I didn’t even mind though… I don’t want to disturb him and his works.” Myungsoo nodded his head as he heard her explanation. Seems like she’s understanding her brother’s works.

            “What a nice younger sister you are,” Myungsoo complimented her which caused her to blush slightly. It’s a relief that Myungsoo was too focused in driving to realize it.

            “He’s the only family I had, after all..” She said with a melancholic tone, drawing a thin smile on her lips. Myungsoo nodded understandingly. He knew that both of her parents were gone since she’s a child. Of course she’ll cherish her brother’s presence. Myungsoo slowed down the car as it almost reached its current destination. Myungsoo carefully parked the car and turned off the engine.

            “We’re here,” Myungsoo mumbled as he unbuckled his safety belt. He turned to Naeun but then he looked away. She’s crying. Myungsoo almost panicked but then he managed to calm himself. He waited until she felt quite okay.

            “I’m sorry,” She said as she wiped her tears with her hands. Myungsoo’s heart ached a lot. For the first time he saw a girl cried in front of him. He handed her a few pieces of tissues. “Thank you,” She thanked him as she took them.

            “Gosh, Son Naeun. What’s wrong with you?” Naeun mentally cursed herself. How come that she just cried in front of the person that she just knew. Ah, she felt so embarrassed. She took a deep breath to calm herself more. She hated herself to let Myungsoo saw this fragile side of her.

            “Are you okay?” Myungsoo finally voiced out after being silence for quite long. Naeun slightly nodded while mouthing “I’m sorry.” Myungsoo shrugged off as he didn’t mind it. He tried to understand her. What a fool, he shouldn’t ask such kind of question to her. “She must miss them a lot,” He thought.

            “Ah.. I felt better. I’m sorry if I freaked you out. I’m usually not like this but.. I don’t why it suddenly came. Nevermind, I’m okay now.” She said to him. Myungsoo didn’t dare to look at her. “I’m sorry.” He muttered.

            “No. Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault though.”

            “Come on Myungsoo. Let’s go now.” She finally said with a smile plastered on her face. He felt quite relieved after seeing her smile. From now on, he promised to himself to be more careful when they’re having a conversation. With that, both of them went out from the car and walked into the bakery. Myungsoo made a mental note for himself to buy two cups of the Iced Americano to Sungyeol. He really owe him a lot!