(13)

What Life Is All About

Naeun had a rest at Eunji’s bedroom for a while. She’s all alone since both Daehyun and Eunji were gone to find a cup of coffee for themselves. And her brother was too busy helping Nicole to stuff up her stuffs in the guest’s bedroom. Man, she felt so worn out. It feels like she’s the one who’s getting married. Her hands were getting tired decorating the goodies bags that will be given to the wedding guests. It’s quite easy though since both Eunji and Sunggyu already made up to only have a simple wedding reception for themselves. Well, their parents were quite against it but then they agreed. Phew, luckily.

            Sighs. She’s all bored here. The other girls would probably being busy with their current tasks. Chorong would probably busy with her project, Bomi and Namjoo were having a good time finding the flowers for the wedding hall decorations and Hayoung would be spending her time passing up the invitation cards through the neighbourhood along with Yookyung. All of them were too busy. Suddenly she let out a light chuckle. “Eunji-unnie, you’re really going to get married soon.” She muttered to herself. For some reason it made her to think that the current thing is so funny. Of course, Eunji is currently spending her high school days but then she needs to get married. How complicated her life is, huh? She always prayed that Eunji would be strong in whatever she had to get through in her life. Seriously, money and ranks couldn’t give you happiness. The happiness only could be achieved if there’s love.

            Speaking of that, she stood up from the bed and exited Eunji’s bedroom. She could hear Dongwoon’s laughter at the hallway. He probably having a nice time after being reunited with his long lost high school friend. She’s grateful that her brother got a nice friend like Nicole. She likes her pretty much because of her friendly attitude. Not forget to mention her bubbly-ness and cuteness too.

            “Oppa,” She greeted him.

            Dongwoon drew a smile to her before putting his arm on her shoulders. “Hey, sweetheart. You’re looking so worn out.” She pouted as she heard him. Yeah, of course she would feel worn out. She’ve been spending her times at Eunji’s house for about two nights. “I’m going to kill Jung Eunji after this for making you looking like a tired deer,” He joked while playfully pinched her cheeks.

            “Aww, you guys are so adorable!” Nicole whined from the inside of the room. Naeun stomped her feet as a protest to her brother for treating her like a child. For God’s sake, she’s not a child anymore. Nicole exited the guest room and locked the door. She then stared at the siblings with a lovely expression on her face. “I can’t stop myself from smiling everytime I watched both of you,” As a result, both of the Son siblings blurted our their big laugh. “Cole, you really need to stop complimenting us because I really couldn’t take it anymore,” Dongwoon joked.

            “Thanks to you for treating me like a child,” Naeun said, causing Dongwoon to ruffle her hair into a mess. Naeun shrieked of course, but then she didin’t really mind it since it wasn’t hard for her to fix the mess. Her hair would be like normal again by using her delicate fingers. Anyway, Nicole excused herself for a while as she’ll be going to her business branch in Seoul. Her wedding planning business is quite successful since it offers many unique concepts for the wedding ceremony. And as for Eunji’s wedding, Nicole already thought of something special. And it would be a busy day for her.

            “I guess that I should be going right now. Phew, luckily my aunt generously given me her sedan as my use during my days in here. I’ll see you guys later,” Nicole said before leaving. “See you later too, Unnie.” Naeun bid her goodbye as Mrs. Jung’s car leave the mansion. With that, it’s only Dongwoon and Naeun were left.

            “Should we go home too?” Dongwoon asked. Naeun shook her head off. “No. I want to stay here. Eunji still need my help.” She stated. Dongwoon nodded, he understands that Naeun might want to spend more time with Eunji before her wedding day. Girls, they’re really kind of sentimental type.

            “Alright then. I guess that I’m going home now,” Dongwoon grabbed his coat and gave her little sister a peck on the cheek. “Yes. You need to go home you know. Have some rest Oppa,” Naeun reminded him. Dongwoon drew a warm smile before he’s off to his car.

            “Ah, I almost forgot! When we’re going to buy a wedding present for the newlyweds?”

            “Hmm.. I already forgotten about that actually, but I think tomorrow would be the most suitable time,”

            “That’s great. So.. I’ll be going home first. And Naeun, don’t forget to call me if you need any help with the preparation. I’m off from the works until the end of the wedding celebration.”

            “Okay. Thanks Oppa, you’re the best!” Naeun showed her ‘thumbs up’ sign. She waved to Dongwoon until his car leave the Jung’s mansion. She was about to walk into the house but then her phone rang, showing an unknown number on the screen.

            “Hello?” She hesitatedly answered.

            “Is that you, Son Naeun?” A male voice replied.

            “Um.. Yeah. Who’s this?” She couldn’t really remember the caller’s voice. But then it sounds so familiar to her.

            “It’s me, don’t you know who?”

            “Sorry… I can’t really remember your voice. But then you sounded so familiar.. Who are you?”

            “Familiar? Well then, I guess that you’ve been memorising my voice huh?” The mysterious caller let out a soft chuckle after finishing his sentence. In the same time, it makes Naeun to wonder who’s the caller really is.

            “Excuse me?” She blurted out. She swore that she’ll going to kill this person for fooling her, seriously.

            “Whatever. Please tell Eunji that my Sunggyu-hyung will pay a visit to her house tonight. And yeah, thank you for that. Keep guessing who I am, good luck with that,” The caller hung up, leaving her confused. Naeun finally managed to walk herself into the house and took a seat as her brain kept storming. Who’s the mysterious caller?

            Then it hits her. The caller was currently talking about Eunji’s wedding, right? And he’s saying “my Sunggyu hyung” in his request. That’s the biggest hint that the caller gave to her. Her head almost blew up because of thinking. Suddenly she snapped her fingers. It’s him! No wonder the voice sounded so familiar to her.

            “You should just tell me that it was you.. Kim Myungsoo.” She muttered as she drew a smirk with her thin lips. But wait, where on Earth that Myungsoo got her number? She usually gave her number to the person that she only knew really well. The people who are close to her. Damn, it’s so suspicious. She quickly dialled up the number again.

            “Hello there,” The same voice from earlier answered. Naeun drew a wicked smile with her mind kept saying “You’re caught red-handed, Kim Myungsoo.” She scoffed before she spoke to him, “Ha-ha. How funny was that huh? I should already knew that it was you.. Mr. Kim.” She could feel that Myungsoo was crooking his smile.

            “Brilliant, Miss Son. I thought that you won’t recognize me.”

            “Well, thanks to you for dropping some hints to me.” She said while slightly chuckled.

            “I did? No wonder why you could recognize me.” He sounded quite disappointed. “There’s no way that I would call an unknown number again. Except if I recognize the person.”

            “Alright, let’s just assume that I’m lucky,”

            “Lucky? For what?” Naeun going upstairs to Eunji’s bedroom again. She threw herself on the comfy bed. She really couldn’t stop herself from smiling right now. Her fingers ran through her strands of hair as her heart beated in a great rhythm.

            “Lucky enough to be recognized by you. We won’t be talking on the phone right now if you don’t recognize me. Anyway, it’s nice to have a chance talking to you like this.”

            “Euw. That’s cheesy.” Naeun sounded almost like cringing. Myungsoo laughed out loud, his heart just bloomed like a flower by only talking to her.

            “Anyway, where did you get my number? I never give it to you.”

            “Um.. I couldn’t tell you. It’s my secret.” Naeun scoffed. Of course, she’s curious about where Myungsoo found her phone number. It’s making her felt suspicious. Is he a crazy stalker or what?

            “But..” Before Naeun could even finish her sentence Myungsoo cut off.

            “Let’s talk again later, I have so many things to be done right now. See you tomorrow at the wedding hall.” With that, Myungsoo ended the call and leaving Naeun dumbfounded. Naeun took a look at her phone. A smile crept on her face as she saved Myungsoo’s number and rename the caller ID into ‘Weird Kim Myungsoo’.

            “Let’s talk again, Kim Myungsoo.”

            “Eunji.”

            She gasped as she heard the voice behind her. At that time, she froze. All of her body parts became limb. Her eyes were plastered to Daehyun who was sitting in front of her. Daehyun’s eyes were clearly looking at the person behind her. She gulped her own saliva. Oh god, it’s not the suitable time. Please, not now. She kept praying that she could explain all of this.

            The person moved a bit, making his steps towards their table. Eunji couldn’t even manage herself to look at the guy. Eventhough she didn’t look at the guy but she could feel the anger in his eyes. Daehyun drew a few wrinkles on his forehead as he was confused. Who is this guy?

            “Eunji..Who’s this?” Sunggyu gritted his teeth as he asked. He barely could breath as he’s controlling his anger. No, he didn’t want to make any scene. Not in this place. His eyes gazed at the guy in front of Eunji. He could tell that he’s in Eunji’s age. Probably. Daehyun finally managed to understand the current situation. “Ah, he is the guy.” He muttered to himself.

            “Hey, we’re just-” Daehyun tried to interrupt but then Sunggyu hushed him which made him unable to explain. Eunji clasped her lips nervously. She should gave him an explanation. She needs to mend this situation.

            “Sunggyu.. I..” Before she could finish Sunggyu cut her off.

            “Why did you never tell me that you’re in a relationship? I will cancel the marriage earlier if you said so. We don’t need to do it then.” Eunji bolted up and looked at Sunggyu unbelievably. She gritted her teeth so hard as much as she tried to calm herself. When Sunggyu mentioned that they don’t have to proceed with the marriage she felt like her heart just broke into pieces. How come he simply came up with a conclusion when he didn’t even know a thing about the situation. She forced herself to stand up from her seat. Seriously, her legs were becoming limb.

            “Think what you want. If you don’t want to proceed with this marriage, then I won’t too.” With that she leave both of them dumbfounded. Sunggyu let out a heavy breath. His eyes tailed Eunji’s figure who was bolting through the exit door. His mind screamed to chase her but then his pride won’t allow him to do so. Why must he chase the girl who just broke his heart. He thought that he would experience his first love with Eunji. But then he’s wrong.

            “Oh my God, hyung. What’ve you done?” Daehyun palmed his face with his right hand. Sunggyu looked at him with ‘what-did-you-just-call-me-huh’ expression. Daehyun shook off his head continuously. And he’s also felt bad for ruining up everything. Sunggyu cleared his throat. He took Eunji’s seat and set his eyes to Daehyun.

            “You shouldn’t do that.” Daehyun said looking at him. Sunggyu furrowed his brows. For some reason he didn’t understand the guy in front of him. As Eunji’s lover the guy should feel happy right if he made the decision to cancel the wedding. The guy sounded so frustrated when he talked to him.

            “I don’t understand it. You should feel happy when I said that I will cancel the wedding for the sake of your relationship with Eunji.” Sunggyu stated seriously. Daehyun let out a soft chuckle which made Sunggyu became more confused.

            “Happy? Why should I? I’m the one who should be crying right now because I just screwed up my sister’s marriage.”

            “Stop talking nons-” Sunggyu paused. He became froze. Then it hits him real hard with the fact that the guy in front him just admitted that Eunji is his sister. And then he was threw into a deep confusion. Siblings? As far as he knew, Eunji is the only child in her family. Where did this ‘brother’ came from.

            “But I thought that she’s the only daughter,” Sunggyu said. Daehyun let out a heavy sigh. Looks like he’s going to be the one that was going to make all of the explanation again. “Urgh. Noona, you really owe me this time.” He muttered to himself.

            “Okay. I knew that it might sounded quite complicated but the truth is we’re really siblings. In fact, we’re twins. Only that I was out from the womb after 7 minutes she was out.”

            “I’m sorry?” Sunggyu’s jaw almost dropped.

            “You know what, our life being the heirs of the big corporations is quite cruel. My existence was being hid from the world, just because I’m the main heir of the Jung Corporation.”

            “How can that happened?” Sunggyu sounded furious, he couldn’t except the fact that Daehyun’s existence was hidden just because of the stupid deal of the corporation world.

            “Well, you can ask my parents for that. I couldn’t do anything about it. My life is just a game you know.” Daehyun said which made Sunggyu realize his wrongdoing. He shouldn’t just jump into conclusion just now as if he acknowledged the current situation. “Eunji.. What’ve I done..” His heart screamed. For God’s sake, he’s being angry of himself right now.

            “And hyung...” Sunggyu’s eyes lit up a bit as Daehyun called him with the ‘hyung’ name.

            “Your marriage and noona would also be the part of this game. But believe me… From the way she talked to me about you made me feel like you guys might found the pure love in this marriage. You won’t ever know if you don’t try, right?” Daehyun said his wise words. For some reason, Sunggyu was mesmerized and amazed about how mature Daehyun is eventhough he is younger than he was.

            “Daehyun-sshi… Thank you for making me realize that I’m wrong. Thank you for explaining the whole situation to me. And please… Believe in me.” Seriousness was flashed in his eyes as he said his last phrases. Daehyun lightly nodded, he believe in Sunggyu to make his sister happy. He believe that they’re going a pure love soon between them. For some reason, he felt grateful that their parents arranged Eunji to marry someone like Sunggyu. He hopes that Sunggyu will be stronger so that he could support Eunji whenever she fall down.

            “It’s not a big matter hyungnim. What’s important right now is.. My sister, Eunji.” Sunggyu gritted his teeth upon hearing Eunji’s name. He’s still angry with himself. He promised to himself that he will be more careful before jumping up into a conclusion.

            “Yes. I should fix it.” Sunggyu stood up from his seat.

            “And… I think you can find her here,” Daehyun said as he showed Sunggyu some picture of a place using his phone. “Well.. You know, I’m not familiar with the places in Seoul so I don’t know where is it.” He handed Sunggyu his phone.

            “It looks like a playground.” Sunggyu said, he’s thinking hard because the place seems familiar to him.

            “Yeah, I guess so. Eunji always said that if she felt sad or helpless, she would spend her time there sitting on the swing while letting out all of her feelings.”

            “It’s around the Seoul District I guess. And I think I can find this place.” Sunggyu said confidently. Sunggyu bid his goodbye to Daehyun and fasten his steps towards the exit door. “Eunji-yah, please wait for your foolish-future-husband,” He muttered to himself as he bolted into his car. The car sped up to its destination, finding its owner’s future-wife.

            “Gosh, I’m totally so worn out.” Bomi shrieked as she threw herself on Eunji’s bed along with Namjoo. Naeun only shook her head watching both of them.

            “Unnie, get us some drink please..” Namjoo pleaded to Naeun while pouting her lips which made Naeun to roll her eyes.

            “I’m going to make some juice. Please wait,” Namjoo jumped happily as Naeun made her way downstairs. Probably going to the kitchen of course. Bomi in other hand was too busy playing games with her phone. Namjoo in the other hand felt very bored and she ended up by poking Bomi’s hand to relieve her boredom.

            “Namjoo-yah! Stop poking my hand! I’m going to lose the game if you keep doing that!” Bomi shrieked causing the younger to scrunched up her nose. It didn’t take a long time for Naeun to come back with a tray which filled with three glasses of fruit juice and a plate of cookies in her hands.

            “Yay, thank you Naeun-unnie!” Namjoo quickly drank the juice, not waiting any longer as already dying for too long. Naeun quietly sat on the bed, watching the two of them digging in the cookies.

            “Anyway Naeun, where’s Eunji?” Bomi suddenly asked causing Naeun to clasped her lips before replying. “She went out… With her twin brother?” She’s trying to expect what kind of reaction that two of them will give.

            “Ahh, I see.. She went out with her…” Bomi almost choked when she realized that Naeun actually said some ‘twin brother’ word. “WHAAAT!?” She loudly shrieked. Namjoo stopped her eating activity as she realized what Naeun just said. Sigh, this will be so tiring to explain everything.

            “Daehyun…. Eunji… You guys owe me a thing for this explanation..” She muttered to herself.

            “Jung Eunji, where are you….” He mumbled and let out a heavy sigh. He already drove for the second time in this place. There’s only a playground around here and there’s still no sign of Eunji. His heart silently praying that he would found Eunji and cleared up the things with her. He still felt regret for acting up like that to her, Eunji is not that kind of girl. Even Myungsoo said that, Eunji seems like a nice girl. She won’t hurt him, doesn’t she?

            His eyes kept looking around the district. Just then he stopped his car as he spotted a familiar figure, walking on the street. It’s her. Seeing the puffy eyes of hers made him to feel a slight pinch of pain to his heart. It’s obvious that she just cried. God, he never make a girl cried in his life. Too bad that Eunji had to be the first girl. He carefully parked his car quite far from the playground so that he couldn’t be seen by her. His eyes never leave her as he’s afraid to lose her again. A smile crept on his face as he saw Eunji making her way to the swing and have a seat on it. “God, she looks so cute,”

            There’s no people around the playground. Of course, the weather is quite cold and the kids won’t be allowed to play in this kind of weather. What a relief. He slowly made his step to the playground, and thank goodness the slide is big enough to cover him up. Behind the slide, he could see the Eunji who was sitting on the swing. Just as he wanted to make his way to her, he stopped when he heard her mumbles.

            “Why must I live a pathetic life?” A tear slided from her eyes as she said that. She didn’t have any idea about Sunggyu’s presence. Sunggyu leaned his back against the slide’s iron grip as he listened to her. His heart clenched, hearing to all of her thoughts.

            “Why did Mom and Dad makes me to do this? Can’t I just have a happy life? Being wealthy is not everything to me! I couldn’t even call my brother with the ‘brother’ title in front of everyone! We’re just like the puppets!” She started to cry hard, her hands tightly gripping the chains of the swing. “Eunji… Only if I knew how complicated your life is..” Sunggyu muttered into his breath. He stood still there, watching Eunji with full of pity.

            “Damn, this marriage! I thought that it would give me happiness… I never thought that it would end up like this! I never wish it to be like this! God, can’t I just feel happy just for once? I wouldn’t ask more… I only need a person that could make me felt happy. I don’t want to live like a puppet anymore!” She cried out again.

            Sunggyu clenched his fist tight. His heart was totally broken and he felt so angry. Angry towards himself for making the girl’s day becomes more miserable. He didn’t even knew that Eunji actually putting up a high hope in this marriage. For some reason, he felt relieved too because finally he is sure that Eunji was totally honest to the marriage. She agreed because she wants it. Not because of her parents’ demands anymore. Listening to her confession made Sunggyu felt more confident about the marriage. He will go on for it. No, they will go on.

            Sunggyu took a deep breath before making his steps towards Eunji. He slowly approached her as he didn't want Eunji to realize his presence there. She might ran away if she saw him. As he got closer to her, he admitted that he barely could breath. The closer he went, his heart beated faster. He continued to make his steps to her until he only faced her back. Then he stopped. He couldn’t even make a move when he heard the girl’s sobs clearly. She’s hurts. So does he. “Well.. It’s now or never,” Sunggyu thought to himself as he gathered all his strength use his right hand to pat the girl’s back. Of course, she would rather be shocked.

            “Sunggyu…” She muttered along in her sob as she realized his presence. She couldn’t even think right as she didn’t even expect that Sunggyu would found her. Slowly, his hand went to her head and then down to her eyes. He brushed her tears with his hand, causing the girl to froze for a while. Eunji was not crying anymore. In fact, she’s confused with Sunggyu’s action. “Didn’t he said that he wants to end everything?” She thought. Sunggyu brought himself in front of her, kneeling to match her eye level. He looked directly into her puffy eyes. Ouch, it hurts him to see her in this state. He let out a heavy breath and said the words that would make Eunji felt better, “I’m sorry.. I’m so sorry, Eunji.”

            Eunji gulped as she couldn’t even believe that Sunggyu was asking for an apologize. But in the same time, she felt the sincerity flashed in his eyes while saying those words. She could sense a glint of regrets in those eyes. Oh dear, he must felt bad. After for a while, Eunji slowly nodded while saying, “I forgive you.” Sunggyu drew a thin smile on his lips, feeling totally relieved. Oh God, it’s a fortunate thing that he didn’t ruin everything.

            “But seriously, you need to promise me.”

            “Promise what?”

            “Promise that you will ask for my explanation before jumping up into conclusions. My life is so unexpected sometimes. Too many surprises, I guess.”

            “I promise that I won’t. And… I don’t even mind for having a wife with unexpected life,” Eunji cracked a thin smile upon hearing his words. For some reasons, she didn’t felt any burden when she heard the ‘wife’ word blurted out from the guy’s mouth. Seems like she’ve got her confidence in proceeding this marriage. Well, she guess that she should thank Daehyun for this. If Daehyun was not in Korea, she won’t never know how much she wanted to on with the marriage.

            “Ah.. Before I forget..” Sunggyu suddenly mumbled as he stood up on his feet. He d his pocket and took out a small box. Well, to be specific.. A ring box. Eunji could feel her heart beating fast as she saw the ring box. Is he proposing?

            “Miss Jung Eunji,” He said her name as he kneeled down, his right hand holding the ring box. Gosh, he couldn’t even look in her eyes as he was quite embarrassed. His gaze was plastered on the ground. God, he never did such of thing in his life. He cleared his throat before saying, “I know that I’m not a romantic guy yet… I’ll try to learn more how to be a romantic guy.” She chuckled lightly upon his sentence. Aw, how cute he was.

            “Anyway… There’s something I really want to do.. Even though this marriage are going to be done because of our family’s partnership, I’m still hoping that we could live well with each other and love each other. I know that it’s hard for you to live in this way but I’ll try my best to make it better,” Eunji almost teared up again because of his words. She felt so touched, so grateful and so relieved to find someone like Sunggyu.

            “And yeah.. Of course lastly…” He finally had courage to look up in her eyes. His heart beated fast as he saw her face, it was full of happiness. And he swore that he would make sure that the happiness will long last. So, let’s just proceed to the final step;

            “Jung Eunji, will you marry me?” He finally said those magic words that would make this moment will be etched in their memories forever. Eunji almost couldn’t believe that the he actually said those words. She didn’t give an answer yet she stood up from the swing and pull him into a tight hug, pouring her happy tears on his shirt. Sunggyu in the other hand probably felt happy. For the first time in his life, he did something that would still manage to be called romantic. Oh come on, he even called Woohyun to ask him how to propose a girl. He already did his best though. Eunji pulled herself and looked up to him.

            “How rude… We’re going to get married in just 3 days but then you just proposed me. How inappropriate,” Eunji joked as she hit his chest playfully. Sunggyu let out a soft chuckle. “Yeah. I’m quite regretting it for not doing this much more earlier,”

            “So what’s your answer then?” Eunji didn’t answer yet she took the ring box from Sunggyu’s hand and took out its content. The ring fit her finger perfectly, as if it was fated to be hers. “I guess that I’m going to take this,” Eunji said while showing the ring on her finger. Sunggyu smiled, “Then it’s a yes, I guess.”