For krackermap

~Infinite Secret Santa 2013~ *Santas Revealed!*

For krackermap

Couple: YaDong 

Prompt: Dongwoo shows his love to Hoya in the weirdest of ways.

Summary: There was a thing, and then a misunderstanding, then a break up, and somewhere in there, there was coffee.


                It began on a frigid day in November that dusted the streets with small flakes of white. The bitter air nipped at Hoya’s nose as his fresh coffee scalded his throat, but he didn’t mind. Skipping down the street to the beat of his music, he was excited—not for anything in particular, just giddy. The feeling did not stop even when a pair of feet dancing to a more sporadic beat accidentally tripped Hoya as he walked past.

                Unable to hold his balance, Hoya stumbled, coffee cup flying out of his hand and splashing all over the man’s pants.

                “Yow! That is hot!!” the man exclaimed.

                “Oh my God! I am so sorry!” Hoya apologized as he flipped his headphones off his head.

                Jumping up and down, the man just shook his head and said, “I-It’s okay. Just… Wow! That was really fresh!”

                Mortified and not quite sure what to do next, Hoya suggested, “You probably need a new pair of pants now. I’ll go buy you some!”

                “Yeah, sounds good!” the man answered. “I’m Dongwoo, by the way.” He managed to extend a hand in greeting, and Hoya smiled widely before taking it, replying, “Hoya.” They then laced arms and walked to the nearest clothing store.

                It took longer (and more money) than Hoya expected for Dongwoo to get a new pair of pants. Despite the stain on the man’s crotch, he refused to buy any pair of jeans unless they were up to his fashionable standards. After the bright green jeans were bought, Hoya suggested they have a cup of coffee.

                “What? So you can spill it on me again?” Dongwoo laughed.

                Hoya chuckled. “Actually, it’s so you can get even with me,” he joked.

                They each bought their own cup—Hoya with hazelnut and Dongwoo with mint. As they went to sit down, Hoya saw Dongwoo purposely trip and spill his drink all over Hoya’s pants.

                “What the hell?!” Hoya screeched, smacking a cackling Dongwoo less than harshly on the arm.

                “We’re even!” he laughed.

                “Oh my God! I was joking!” Hoya yelled, putting his coffee on a nearby table as he quickly grabbed some napkins. “Wow, that is super hot!”

                “Welcome to my world,” Dongwoo chuckled as he took Hoya by the hand. “C’mon. Time to buy you new clothes!”

                Hoya didn’t just get pants that day. He got two new pairs of jeans, a pair of sneakers, a bracelet, and a new boyfriend.

 

                It continued for another week, but it was celebrated on a day that everyone decided to eat out, including Hoya, Dongwoo, and their friends. Hoya quickly learned that Dongwoo worked in an office building with four people—Sunggyu, Woohyun, Sungyeol, and Myungsoo. Hoya actually already knew Myungsoo since he was close friends with Sungjong, Hoya’s roommate.

                “How long have you two been dating?” asked Sungyeol, naturally curious.

                “A week,” Dongwoo answered first, gripping onto Hoya’s hand under the table and shooting him a gaze of affection.

                “Aww,” they cooed, and Hoya was the only one to blush sheepishly and shrink back in his seat.

                “Did you get each other gifts?” asked Woohyun.

                “What? What gifts?” Hoya snapped, confused and worried.

                “A one week anniversary gift!” he exclaimed.

                “What? Isn’t that stuff elementary kids do?” he said.

                “Not this kid,” Sunggyu muttered, pointing to Woohyun. “He gave gifts, like, every day.”

                Woohyun leaned forward and proceeded to explain, “Listen, there’s always a one week anniversary, two week, three week, then one month, and then it goes by month from there. That’s how you’re supposed to do it.”

                “It sounds like you’re giving gifts to make them stay with you,” snickered Sungjong, and Myungsoo let out a snort of amusement.

                Woohyun scoffed in defeat as Hoya breathed a sigh of relief. That relaxation was short lived when Dongwoo suddenly spilled water on Hoya “accidentally”. In alarm, the younger stood up, shrieking, only to find that his pants were sopping; and Dongwoo was right next to him, laughing his off.

                “That’s such an old joke,” Hoya muttered as Sungjong handed him a napkin.

                Dongwoo didn’t say anything, just pecked Hoya on the cheek, and the evening continued pleasantly.

 

                It ended on a frigid morning three weeks later that wanted to keep Dongwoo in bed, toes rigid. A sharp knock—no, bang—on the door forced him get up and answer the heated call. Hoya didn’t hesitate to barge through without being invited inside.

                “We need to break up,” he said, shaking.

                Panicked, Dongwoo shifted forward to hug Hoya as he exclaimed, “Why?”

                “You—We… need to see other people,” he bit out through clenched teeth as he shied away.

                “What are you talking about, baby?” Dongwoo asked, trying to reach out to Hoya.

                “Don’t call me that,” he hissed, hands dug deep in his pockets.

                “Hoya, tell me what I did wrong,” Dongwoo pleaded.

                “Like you don’t know,” he spat, huffing indignantly.

                “No, I don’t. What did I do?” he asked as calmly as he could.

                “You cheated on me,” Hoya muttered, ashamed to even say the words.

                “What?! Why the hell would I do that?” Dongwoo exclaimed.

                “How should I know? It’s your decision!” he shouted back.

                “Where did you even get this information?” Dongwoo asked.

                “Sunggyu hyung! I stopped by your work a few days ago and Sunggyu said you left with Sungyeol, hand in hand, and that it’s been happening suspiciously for the past few weeks now,” he explained.

                “What a liar! We did not leave hand in hand!” he shouted.

                “He also said you touched his !”

                “I touch everybody’s !”

                “Well you’ve one less to touch now, because I never want to see your two-timing face again! And that drink spilling thing you keep doing, it’s annoying too.” Hoya stomped angrily past Dongwoo, just about out the doorframe when the older exclaimed, “Wait! Hoya! Give me another chance!”

                With a sharp glare, he snapped, “I don’t do second chances.”

                He walked away with a broken heart and tears.

 

                It was discussed on a busy day, despite the fact that Hoya did not want to discuss the topic in the first place.

                “You really broke up with him?” Sungjong pressed as he held his hot chocolate in his slender fingers.

                “Yes, I really did,” Hoya muttered, averting his gaze shamefully.

                “Why? He doesn’t look like the type to cheat. I would expect him to forget a your anniversary or something like that though,” the younger said, poking the tip of his tongue into his drink but reeling back as he realized it was still way too hot.

                “Well, he did, and now we’re done. Get over it,” he huffed, not having touched his coffee; it was the same flavor he got on the day that he and Dongwoo met.

                “Well what did he do?” Sungjong asked.

                “He held hands with Sungyeol,” he muttered, trying to muffle his voice into the collar of his coat.

                “That’s it?” he scoffed incredulously.

                “And touched his !” Hoya added quickly, leaning forward, trying to seem less pathetic than he felt.

                Sungjong couldn’t help but stare at Hoya in complete and utter disbelief at how irrational he was being. “Did Dongwoo hyung take Sungyeol hyung anywhere? On a date or something?” he asked.

                “I don’t know,” he muttered.

                Sungjong raised an eyebrow. “Did they do anything?”

                A shrug.

                “Then how is that cheating? Dongwoo hyung touches everyone’s , so that doesn’t count, so what exactly happened, hyung? What does that matter?”

                “Shut up, Sungjong,” he snapped, flustered.

                The younger suddenly burst out into laughter. “Oh! You’re wrong! You realize that now! And now you’re just gonna it up!” he exclaimed, laughing so hard he had tears of amusement and pity in his eyes.

                “Thanks for laughing at my pain,” Hoya hissed dismally.

                Sungjong stopped and glared straight at Hoya. “Listen, I may be younger, but believe me when I say you shouldn’t it up. Go talk to Dongwoo hyung,” he said.

                “I don’t want to,” Hoya muttered.

                “That is a big, fat lie,” Sungjong snapped instantly, putting his hot chocolate up to his lips and testing the warmth again; he was disappointed that it was too cold now—oh well.

                “Do you think he wants me back?” Hoya asked softly.

                Sungjong smiled kindly and put a hand on Hoya’s. “Considering he hasn’t shut up about this matter for the past week, yeah. He wants you back.”

                Hoya folded his arms over his chest before he muttered, “We’ll see then.”

                Sungjong chuckled softly and sang, “Bon chance, mon ami!”

                “Don’t speak your stupid language I can’t understand,” Hoya snapped.

                “It’s French,” he giggled.

                “Show off,” he muttered.

 

                Whatever this was continued for another week and Hoya began to feel the weight of missing Dongwoo on a particularly cold day. He snuggled up inside with a blanket he’d stolen from Dongwoo’s apartment and never bothered to give back.

                Hoya rose from his bed finally in the afternoon while the sun shone its bright, still dull and weak, wearing a mellow smile that kept the winter spirits nippy and crisp. He stepped outside for a breath of fresh air, inhaling the brisk air, and then jogging down to the park next to the café he frequented. He hadn’t had a decent cup of hazelnut coffee; he missed the taste just as must as he missed Dongwoo’s cheery personality. In such cold weather, his warmth was welcome. Hoya heart ached to think of Dongwoo, and seeing such familiar places that they used to hang around at made the pain no better. It felt as if he were driving a stake into his own heart just to see if it were still beating—it was, and it hurt more than he could’ve imagined. He rested on a bench, and it wasn’t long before a familiar face stepped in front of him.

                “Hi, hyung…” the newcomer muttered, hands deep in his pockets to keep the digits alive.

                “Hi, Sungyeol,” Hoya answered, slightly bitter even though he didn’t mean it.

                “Can I sit?” he asked, and Hoya shrugged, so Sungyeol sat.

                “I’m not going to beat around the bush,” Sungyeol said instantly. “You know that Dongwoo hyung did nothing wrong, right?”

                Hoya was silent for a moment before nodding his head slightly.

                “Are you mad at me?” he asked. “I never wanted to come between you and Dongwoo hyung, but I had no ride home and he offered. He’s got a good heart, you know that.”

                “I’m not mad at you,” he answered softly. “I’m madder at myself. I’m so stupid! Why did I break up with him? It made no sense, but I was so jealous and I… I… Dammit.”

                Sungyeol chuckled softly and patted Hoya on the shoulder. “You know Dongwoo hyung doesn’t smile like he used to anymore. When he was with you, he had this grin that lit up the whole room and made everyone’s day better. Now… it’s just forced and it hurts us.”

                Hoya side glanced at Sungyeol, and the younger added, “He really liked you, hyung. And I know you still like him. Why don’t you go talk to him?”

                “That makes me seem so weak,” he scoffed. “I’m the one who broke up with him in the first place.”

                “It takes a strong man to stand up for what he believes and confront people,” Sungyeol said, “but it takes an even stronger man to admit he was wrong. Just think about that.” And with those words, Sungyeol left Hoya to think alone as soft snow christened his eyelashes.

 

                Christmas Eve arrived quickly, but Hoya didn’t go home to celebrate with his own family. He couldn’t afford the trip all the way to Busan. His weary feet dragged him outside to pace the icy pathways of a bustling city that was still doing seriously last minute shopping.

                He wandered aimlessly, pacing around the same block until he memorized the sign that had a crack in it, and the building that had a few bricks missing, and the door with a colorful reindeer painted on the front. His footprints embedded in the light snow eventually became trampled and unrecognizable.

                Annoyed of just walking, he stopped at his favorite café for the first time since he and Dongwoo had broken up, and he ordered a hazelnut coffee. After paying for his beverage, he continued his pacing, head down as he huddled over his cup. He passed the cracked sign and then a solid body bumped into him. Hoya’s coffee flew forward and stained the person’s trousers.

                “I’m so sor—“ Hoya began, but he passed as he stared at the familiar bright green jeans. He looked up cautiously to find wide, brown eyes gazing back at him.

                “Hi, Hoya…” Dongwoo murmured. 

                “Oh my God,” Hoya muttered, straightening himself.

                “We always meet like this, don’t we?” Dongwoo chuckled.

                Hoya was shocked and mortified. He didn’t know what to do. Just as he was about to turn and run away, Dongwoo exclaimed, “Wait!”

                Hoya turned around and a brightly wrapped present was suddenly shoved before him. “What’s this?” Hoya asked.

                “Your Christmas present,” he answered as he staggered to stand straighter. “I wanted to give it to you when we were going out, but… yeah. I was going to give it to you a few days ago, but…”

                “Scared?” Hoya finished.

                Dongwoo chuckled softly and nodded. “Yeah,” he said, fidgeting uncomfortably, and Hoya noticed.

                “I’m sorry, for spilling the coffee… again…” Hoya said softly.

                “It’s fine. I live right over there,” he said, pointing to the door with the painted reindeer.

                “Oh…”

                “Would you like to come inside?”

                “What?”

                Hoya didn’t have enough time to say anything else before Dongwoo dragged him by the wrist into his apartment.

                “Make yourself at home!” Dongwoo exclaimed as he dashed off to his room. “I need to change pants!”

                Hoya stood stiffly by the front door, unsure of what to do. Too many emotions were clashing inside him. He liked Dongwoo—a lot, but this was all so fast and confusing. He needed to get out before he did something stupid. With a pounding heart, Hoya traveled down the hallway until he reached Dongwoo’s room.

                “Hyung,” Hoya began as he pushed the door open. “I need to—“ He stopped, because before him was a half-clothed Dongwoo.

                Hoya couldn’t form words anymore. “What?” asked Dongwoo.

                “I still like you…” Hoya muttered suddenly.

                Dongwoo just quickly shoved a leg through his jeans. Hoya stripped off his scarf and stepped forward, pushing Dongwoo onto the bed. “Don’t bother,” he snapped, kissing Dongwoo roughly. “You won’t be needing those.”

                Whispered nothings grazed swollen lips as slick bodies rubbed against each other. It wasn’t until midnight when they finally rested with the words, “Merry Christmas” and “I love you” hanging in the air between them.

 

                The next morning was a series of giggles and stolen kisses as they chased each other into the shower and then later into the kitchen. Hoya sat in a chair, clad only in his boxers, as Dongwoo brewed a fresh pot of coffee.

                “Open your present!” Dongwoo exclaimed, his thin cardigan flapping around him, but Hoya could only stare at Dongwoo’s stupid, pink pig boxers.

                Before he knew it, Dongwoo had shoved the small box in front of Hoya. He ripped apart the packaging and stared at his gift.

                “You like it?” Dongwoo asked.

                Hoya could only smile widely and blink as he stared at the espresso maker. “That’s really cool,” he breathed.

                “You’re going to have to ask Sungyeollie how to operate it though,” he said as he paced back toward the coffee pot and poured them each a cup. “I don’t know how to work that thing.”

                “No problem. I’ll ask him tomorrow or something,” he said as he set the gift on the table.

                As Dongwoo balanced the two mugs in his hands, Hoya watched as Dongwoo purposefully tripped over hit feet and splashed the scalding hot coffee onto Hoya’s boxers.

                Jumping up instantly, he screamed, “What the—What was that for!? Why do you keep doing this!?”

                Dongwoo straightened himself and said, “One: payback for yesterday. Two: I love you, Lee Howon.”

                Hoya just scoffed and pushed the older away as he tried to give Hoya a kiss. Dongwoo had the weirdest ways of showing his love to Hoya.


StarlightSpirit: This was just flawless! I rarely read yadong but this was one of the best Yadong fics I have read in a long time anyway! Those two idiots and Hoya's stubbornness and Dongwoo's stupidity and just. Wow. Flawless! :)