For es2pido

~Infinite Secret Santa 2013~ *Santas Revealed!*
Drive

For es2pido

Pairing: Myungjong

Prompt: Myungsoo works as an executive driver for random diplomats, accepting services to drive them wherever they want to, whenever they want to. One of them is Ambassador Lee Sungjong who secretly hired him to give him the ride of his life


 
“Yeah, fine I got it” Myungsoo sighed over the phone before pressing the end call button. Meant his few days of vacation were over now.
 
The young man put his phone back in his pocket and took a long drag on his cheap cigarette. He definitely could afford better, even some cigars if he really wished so but why spend even more money on ruining his health. He stared a bit at the smoke which rose slowly in the air before drifting further and disappearing under the stabs of the rain. It was quite a hypnotizing sight.
 
He enjoyed the rain, a lot. He liked to think it purified the world from all the thickness and bad energies. Myungsoo always felt lighter afterwards. So as usual when it rained, he was leaning against the doorframe leading to his balcony on the eleventh floor of a quite classy building. Just listening and watching. Mostly watching, since he was lucky and paid well enough to be living in a quiet borough of Seoul.
 
One of the advantages of being an executive driver was the very generous tips his notorious passengers would often give him. Most of them thought giving an extra would buy his silence, which was useless: he was already paid for keeping his mouth shut and his eyes anywhere but on their business. He never minded to let them do this mistake though. It meant he could live a good life in much better conditions than most of his co-workers earning their living as taxi drivers. He was one lucky to be in this position.
 
But right now he only wished to enjoy his week off. Yet here his boss ruins it all, calling for an emergency. Some guy requesting especially for Myungsoo and no one else. Usually his boss would have politely declined, he was respectful and never went back on his words. And he did promise Myungsoo a week off.
 
But instead he was now promising him double salary just for this once. He claimed he needed Myungsoo to do him “a favor”. How was Myungsoo supposed to say no to this?
 
After throwing one last glance at the urban sight laid before his eyes, Myungsoo got back inside his apartment, throwing the remains of his cigarette in the ashtray. It was 2 AM and if he was to work tomorrow, he needed a few hours of sleep first.
 
-
 
Myungsoo had one weakness: his curiosity. He definitely liked to know everything that raised his interested. Which luckily did not happen very often, but there are always times he just feels the overwhelming need to know. To know, but at least he is good at keeping his information to himself. He never talked much, that’s why he has always been so wonderful in his job.
 
And he logically wanted to know who was so important he had to cancel his plans for the week (which consisted mostly of lazing on the sofa and occasionally pissing off his older brother until his small eyes couldn’t open wider out of frustration). He had the legit right to know who would be on the backseat, after all he was the driver. It was even a matter of safety, so he could adapt to the situation. He needed to perfectly plan their drive so it could be both safe and short. Diplomats were quite vulnerable in cars, even if the company’s were as secured as possible.
 
Even if his formal task was only to drive his clients wherever and whenever they wanted to, Myungsoo was de facto almost a wingman to them for the time they required his services. Even for unofficial ones. Not only once did he see things his clients were supposed to do and had to keep his lips sealed, still. Whether it was good or bad, actually.
 
Sometimes he felt highly bothered by it. He had a few sleepless nights already about a couple of things things he would have liked to never see with his own eyes. Fortunately though, most of his clients until then were honorable and real incidents happened only twice this far. Many just wished from him to drive them to some casino or luxurious whorehouse to get some fun after a very tiring day. And even if Myungsoo wasn’t fond of these practices, he always did it with great professionalism. Is passengers had to be treated as VIPs and therefore he would never say no to them. The only problem was when his clients demanded for him to come with them. That had led to a few embarrassing situations in the past.
 
He hoped that his new client wouldn’t do anything worse than that at the end of the day. Having fun. The more important the people were, the more they became arrogant and did ugly things. Myungsoo could handle casinos and s, but not when it came to drugs or… worse.
 
Obviously though, this time his client was very important and that’s why he wanted to know so badly who it was. But silly boss wouldn’t say a thing over the phone. A politician maybe? Some royalty? The ambassador of the United States? Myungsoo immediately tried to choke it out from his boss when he came to get a car, but he just shook his head with a half-amused smile.
 
“You’ll see by yourself, if he wants to talk. Don’t get too pushy, okay? Now go, never be late with him or he’ll get your head off. He said he liked people being punctual.”
 
And on this he was being pushed to the garage sheltering the precious collection of cars the company owned.
 
Myungsoo simply has to look at the keys his boss had stuffed in his hand to know he was being deadly serious about the guy he had to drive around. Or else he would have never let Myungsoo drive that car. It was the little gem of the collection and the boss’ favorite. Myungsoo would have to be very, very cautious: one tiny scratch and his boss would rip his head off with bare hands.
 
So he strolled down between the ranges of cars, knowing perfectly where to go. It was the only car protected with a jet black car cover and it sat in state at the very end of the ranges. Myungsoo removed the cover very carefully, dragging his fingertips on the smooth and brilliant sapphire black painting of the car. He folded the cover neatly before admiring the gorgeous, stupendous Rolls Royce laid before his eyes. Ghost V-Specification, if he remembered well. Almost half a million dollars for that little baby. The boss had cried when he signed the cheque.
 
Myungsoo his lips while admiring just for a couple of seconds more, before finally opening the driver’s door and getting in. Luxurious car of course, he was used to drive them. But he had to admit this one was fabulous. If the boss wanted to impress the mysterious client it would definitely do. As always it was completely clean inside and a light refreshing smell of pineapples was lingering in the air. To Myungsoo’s opinion, mixed with the slight fragrance of the leather fingerless gloves he always used to drive, it was one of the best smells in the world.
 
Myungsoo took out his black sunglasses and put them on, starting up the car which made out an elegant roar. With a satisfied smile and a pat on the dashboard, Myungsoo drove out of the garage.
 
-
 
7:48 AM. Parked before a five-stars Hotel in the center of Seoul, Myungsoo was patiently waiting for his mysterious passenger to get out. And his curiosity was rising again. Now though he was practically sure he was some sort of diplomat. The Hotel was known for putting up a lot of foreign personalities. Now though he was also worried. He didn’t know how to greet him when he would step out of the Hotel. Myungsoo spoke various languages, among which Mandarin, Japanese, Thai, English and even a ridiculous basis of Russian, but he didn’t know where the guy came from. He would have to go for English then.
 
Myungsoo finally remembered to take off his glasses and he got out, mentally readying himself to be at someone’s complete service for a few days. He didn’t even have to wait for long. Soon, a man in his mid-twenties, blonde like wheat and with clear blue eyes standing out of his almost white skin strolled out of the Hotel, putting on his black jacket and adjusting his thin tie. Undoubtedly Korean though, but never has Myungsoo seen such a gorgeous man. He walked down the stairs before the hotel with a sharp natural elegance and even though he was thin he did inspire some respect with his strong and cool aura.
 
Myungsoo gulped back down his saliva and immediately opened the door for his pretty passenger to get in. His secretary or assistant or something was babbling to him so quickly Myungsoo couldn’t even catch the general meaning of her words but it seemed the young man could, as he was deeply focused on listening. He gave Myungsoo one single glance and a nod as a thanks before hoping in, careful not to crumple his black suit jacket.
 
“I understand. Give a call back. Ensure them it will be done as the marshal wishes.”
 
Even his voice was unique. The secretary nodded before bowing low and running back up the stairs like her life depended on that call she had to give. Myungsoo simply closed the door and then it clicked in his mind.
 
Wait… Did he say marshal? Is he North Korean? Myungsoo quickly closed his mouth. It wasn’t time to stay gaping at his passenger’s door. Though he was very agitated as he went back to his own seat. It explained why his boss was so nervous and why Myungsoo had troubles understanding the secretary when she spoke so fast, yet it still seemed Korean. In a way it was. Just that with 60 years apart, Korean language in both countries now differed slightly.
 
Myungsoo just allowed himself a second to breathe out his surprise before turning around and politely bowing his head. The foreigner was still his client and even if he was highly surprised, he wouldn’t let his astonishment ruin his task. Myungsoo was a professional and good at his job.
 
“Good morning Sir. I’m your driver for the time you will be staying in Seoul. Please do not hesitate to tell me any of your requests, I’m to your disposition.”
 
It felt odd to call Sir someone younger than him. Myungsoo was already past 30 yet he felt slightly awed by the man on the backseats of his car. His light blue eyes, clearly contact lenses, let him politely finish before a little amused smile grazed the corner of his plump lips and Myungsoo had to remind himself he was now supposed to turn around and stare at the road, not at the blonde. But the young man’s smooth voice, speaking in neat Korean this time, stopped him from doing so.
 
“I know you are, Kim Myungsoo. I am Lee Sungjong. A pleasure to meet you.”
 
His name rolling off the blonde’s tongue sent a chill down his back. How does he even know me? I never said my name and I’m sure the boss didn’t either. Thinking of that, why did he even request for Myungsoo in the first place? He was certain he had never driven that boy. Executive drivers couldn’t drive twice the same person, that was against the rules and for safety measures. So how had this boy heard of his name?
 
Myungsoo his lips in frustration, turning back stiffly to face the road. He thought he heard a light chuckle but when he glanced in his rearview mirror, the young diplomat was checking stuff on his phone with a slight, focused frown. Beautiful was the main thing spamming Myungsoo’s mind at the moment. Myungsoo knew he was gay, completely gay. But if he wasn’t, this man could have certainly made him reconsider it.
 
Myungsoo started the car, before putting on again his fingerless gloves and dark sunglasses. He shoved away the man’s steady gaze from his thoughts and slipped back into his driver role.
 
“I need to know where you are planning to go, Mr. Lee. My superior wasn’t able to t-”
 
“I know, that was at my demand. You are a clever person Myungsoo, you do understand I cannot let this kind of information slip. You are paid for silence and steering the wheel, but your boss is not. So please once you read this paper just memorize it and burn it down immediately.”
 
Myungsoo extended his hand back and a thin piece of paper immediately slipped between two of his fingers. He read it avidly, curious to finally know where he would have to go. To his dismay, there were only usual locations diplomats would go to. Not that he would complain to finally drive someone completely involved in his job, but this one encounter already seemed so peculiar that he half-expected some eccentricity from the charismatic Lee Sungjong.
 
After successfully swallowing back his sigh, Myungsoo folded the paper neatly and took out his lighter, burning one corner and simply watching the fire darken and then completely consume the paper, sending it into nothingness. He opened the car window and waited until the very last moment to throw the still burning piece of paper on the road. Now he had a first destination to head to. So Myungsoo put on his indicator and pulled away from the prestigious Hotel.
 
-
 
Myungsoo couldn’t stand calmly. He was bouncing slightly on place while his pretty passenger was discussing some obscure matter with an occidental guy he couldn’t recognize. He knew it wouldn’t take long as the young diplomat had some very important meeting scheduled soon and so he watched him with attention, trying to learn something more. He had driven him to a couple places already and he was growing more frustrated each time.
 
Why was his client so upsetting?
 
He had his own way to always make Myungsoo feel on edge, either be it his clear eyes staring right back at him in the rearview mirror or his sassy talks. Whenever he spoke to Myungsoo it was polite and almost on the gossipy tone. But whenever it escalated to some kind of discussion in which Myungsoo could express his opinion, he always found himself shut down by the blonde’s dead accurate – yet amused – answers and left completely speechless and sulking.
 
“You wouldn’t be any kind of good loser, Myungsoo-sshi,” the blonde had told him with a giggle that was anything but fitting his professional image. And Myungsoo kinda liked it.
 
That was true though, he simply hated to be thwarted. And even more when it came from people younger than him. His pride wouldn’t take it. So he fought hard to keep his lips sealed or to answer with some basic sentences that would not lead to any serious conversation. After all even if it wasn’t banned, he never really spoke with the people he drove. They were in their own world and Myungsoo was expected to treat them as VIPs: Respectfully, nodding at all their eccentric wishes and smiling on top of that. Which was what he usually did this far.
 
But Lee Sungjong seemed to be a talkative person. He never talked crap though, only subjects that Myungsoo’s tongue simply ached to discuss a bit, as long as it was correct for him to do so. And the young man didn’t seem to mind at all. Heck no, he smiled slightly every time he was about to literally deconstruct Myungsoo’s point of view, he learned.
 
So Myungsoo was in a whiny mood. Because the beautiful stranger was easily able to shut him up and led all the conversations, not missing an occasion to pick on him too like a friend would. And it left Myungsoo craving, because on top of that he couldn’t learn a single thing about him. He couldn’t possibly ask any of the questions bugging his mind. And there were quite a lot, obviously. His poor curiosity was killing him.
 
For once though, it made the drive a bit more interesting. Infuriating, but interesting.
 
He snapped out of his thoughts when he realized the young man was standing right in front of him and he hadn’t realized at all. He could have been waiting for five minutes already yet Myungsoo hadn’t noticed. He noticeably pinked in embarrassment, mentally calling himself unglamorous names for his stupidity and failing at his job. And the younger’s words didn’t help at all. Myungsoo lowered his gaze into the other’s pretty eyes – god, those eyes! – and found contained amusement in there. And then another chuckle and Myungsoo wanted to die.
 
“I am truly sorry to disturb your zoning out, I would have opened that door myself if you were not leaning on it.”
 
Now Myungsoo was beet red and hurriedly moved away, almost snatching himself with the back passenger door as he opened it widely for his client. Way to do your job well, smartass. He never allowed himself any mistake at work. He was supposed to be no less than excellent and perfect. And now he would only appear as a sad moron.
 
He almost wanted to bang his head on the wheel as he got back into the car, and his passenger seemed to pick up on his mood as he let out an airy, annoyingly beautiful laugh.
 
“Don’t take it so bad, it was funny to see you in your own world. We’re not even late. And I’m sure it will not happen again anyway. Right, Myungsoo-sshi?”
 
Myungsoo groaned out some response as politely as possible and headed out to their next destination. Heck no, if they ever were to be late, it would never be of his fault, he would make sure of it.
 
-
 
“Are you always so quiet, Myungsoo-sshi? Or am I intimidating to you?”
 
Myungsoo bit down hard on his inner cheek. No one is intimidating to Kim Myungsoo except for his grandmother, and that is because she is an outstanding and memorable human being. And especially not a North Korean blonde fairy acting so innocent and casual to him.
 
“No Mr. Lee, I just… really enjoy the music.”
 
“Is that so? You turned it on twenty minutes ago for me when I asked you to. What about the previous hour and half we have been stuck for in jams? Enjoying the sound of people honking?”
 
Nope, enjoying the holy silence when you stopped messing with my head, he thought bitterly. He was now intimately convinced the diplomat truly enjoyed pushing on him. At least one of them was having fun out of Myungsoo’s sulkiness.
 
“No Mr. Lee. I was thinking to myself.”
 
He really hoped the young man wouldn’t continue on the subject any further and to his great relief he didn’t. Instead he earned a steady and studying gaze through the rearview mirror. Good thing the other couldn’t tell he was actually staring straight back at him this whole time, since Myungsoo wore his tainted glasses. There wasn’t any other interesting stuff on the road to focus on as they were in jams. But at least it was on their way back to the Hotel, so he wouldn’t have to discover the pissed off side of Lee Sungjong for being late somewhere.
 
Myungsoo let the diplomat study him. He had nothing to hide and considered himself unreadable. Even his own brother had problems to know what was on his mind at times. But Lee Sungjong was visibly very good at reading people though.
 
“Something is plaguing your mind. What is it?”
 
You, he immediately thought but bit down on his tongue to restrain himself from doing so. But the answer must have been obvious, or even expected because the young man immediately continued.
 
“You do not have to be so uptight you know, it is just me and you in here. You are my driver but we can also talk as a human to another. Ask any question you wish, I will answer in all honesty. I’m not a monster.”
 
Myungsoo didn’t respond right away. He used the line of cars finally moving before them as a pretext to focus back on the road and to think about how to put his words. He was much more careful now with what he was saying to the diplomat. He pulled away from the main road and into a smaller one where he could move more freely.
 
“I never let my real self take over my job. Therefore I don’t have any question to ask, Mr. Lee.”
 
His inner voice was screaming he was an idiot to let this chance of knowing more of the mysterious man better but he pushed it away the best he could. If the man himself was a subject of amazement and conflicting feels for him, he didn’t forget who they both were. They couldn’t live in two worlds more apart from each other. He may look like any man in Seoul, but he was drastically different Myungsoo assumed. He knew how people in North Korea lived and he couldn’t be completely comfortable around someone who would defend this kind of opinions during any reunification negotiations. And even if he were, it didn’t change the fact he had to be the perfect valet for him and speak only when asked. His clients’ business was never for him to stick his nose in, no matter how interesting it could possibly be.
 
“I see.”
 
That was the first time Myungsoo had the last word for the whole day. It was so surprising he almost didn’t stop at the red light in time. Well, it wasn’t any kind of victory but it still pleased him.
 
The rest of the ride was silent but Myungsoo should have known better. As he was about to stop the car before the Hotel’s double entry doors, he felt a hand on his shoulder, and the voice of Lee Sungjong ordering him to drive to the Hotel’s private parking lot underground rang near his ear. He ignored the slight chill that tickled his neck, focusing instead on following obediently the command.
 
He got smoothly on the lowest floor, parking his car near the elevator’s door. He thought it was just that his young client didn’t want to be seen outside but he was confused when a pretty smile was aimed at him as he held the door for the young man to get out. He raised his brows in surprise but said nothing. Breathing became harder though when slender fingers slowly went up to delicately take off his sunglasses.
 
“Come on Kim Myungsoo, you and I are having a drink inside. And I’m sure you are starving too.”
 
“B-but… I’m sorry but I cannot-”
 
“Don’t be funny man, your work has officially ended half an hour ago, you were supposed to be at my service until 6. I’m not asking the driver out for a drink, but the real self you were talking about. Now lock that car and get in that elevator.”
 
The change of tone and language in the diplomat’s speech left Myungsoo completely shocked, as well as the sparkling eyes. There was still the same amusement in them but it was now unrestrained and less circumstantial. Myungsoo hesitated for half a second before sighing, it, and following the still-smiling man to the doors.
 
-
 
“Now that we are satiated, won’t you try to satisfy your curiosity? I know you’ve been in turmoil since morning because of it.”
 
“How did you know?”
 
“You may not have realized it but you have a habit of slightly jutting out your bottom lip when you’re sulking. Well, just like right now, Mr. Unreadable,” the younger chuckled while pointing at Myungsoo’s slightly pouting face.
 
Myungsoo glared at him before gulping down a bit of his drink. He had eaten well and was currently sitting at a small table under a couple of dim golden lights in quite nice company. Still annoying little brat, but at least he could stare at the diplomat’s now frank and unrestrained smile and that helped a bit. It was nice, but he was still reluctant to completely allow himself to relax. He didn’t know him after all. But his inner voice that was telling him it was the right time to actually discover more was getting stronger the more hours went by.
 
“Wouldn’t you want to ask some questions back? It’s weird you’re insisting so much on me getting to know you better,” he replied with another lazy sip. It was a way to earn himself a bit more of time, but he realized it was a valid question actually. Instead of being discrete the young man was rather pushy. And without asking anything in return.
 
“Actually, I don’t. I know everything I want to know already. And I don’t need much.”
 
That was a response Myungsoo wasn’t expecting and he frowned, staring at the blonde. “What’s that supposed to mean? Did you do some research on me or something?”
 
Lee Sungjong smiled. “I didn’t need to.”
 
Myungsoo kept silent for a few minutes. He was sure there was something behind all of this. But he had no idea about what it was. How did you find out my name then?
 
“Aw, that’s an interesting question for a first.”
 
Myungsoo mentally face-palmed when he realized he spoke aloud his thoughts. So much with keeping his curiosity at bay. It felt uneasy to act like that towards his client, but at the same time he really wanted to know.
 
“Wait, before you answer let’s make it clear. This is only a conversation out of my services, you cannot complain about it to anyone.”
 
“That’s what I told you earlier. Just between us. No influence on your work, you have my word,” he smiled.
 
Myungsoo took a deep breath and nodded. He’d just have to be careful. And as long as he didn’t have to say anything about him, it should be okay right? The younger couldn’t use him for anything anyway, he knew perfectly well that if Myungsoo knew anything about eminent personalities in this world he would say nothing. It was only for Myungsoo to satisfy his curiosity. All win.
 
“Good. I just have one request in return,” and at this Myungsoo groaned. “I want you to call me Sungjong. During work call me whatever you have to but since right now there’s nothing official between us let’s be comfortable with each other, shall we?”
 
Myungsoo pouted a bit but ended up nodding anyway. It bothered him a bit but now his curiosity was winning the best of him.
 
“Fine. Then first of all, why do you want me to call you by your name, Sungjong?”
 
That question just popped up in his mind at the other’s request but it was also a good test to the other’s honesty. Myungsoo didn’t like to be lied to. He wasn’t sure it was a very relevant question to ask, but he had struggled to keep himself at bay all day long and now he really wanted to just know everything he could think of. And he had the satisfaction to see one perfect eyebrow of Lee Sungjong flying upwards, clearly expecting something else. He quickly gained back a composed face though, if not slightly amused by how quick Myungsoo seemed to get into the thing.
 
“Because I want to know how it sounds like coming out of your mouth, Myungsoo. And I have to admit I kind of like it.”
 
Oh my… he sure wasn’t bluffing when he said he’d be honest. Myungsoo felt flattered and smirked inwardly before jumping back onto his very first question.
 
“So. Tell me, how did you get my name? I’m sure I haven’t driven you before. And it’s been a while I have stopped giving my name to passengers. Boss said you’ve requested me, you knew me beforehand then.”
 
Sungjong looked pleased with his deductions as he smiled at Myungsoo before gesturing to some waiter to bring some champagne. He waited until he got served and Myungsoo stared intently at the way Sungjong’s lips parted as he raised his champagne glass to drink, refraining himself from biting down on his own and shrugging off his daydreaming to listen to what the other would say.
 
“Actually we’ve met already, just that you can’t remember it. But I think you do recall my uncle Howon. I don’t think you’ve had many occasions to drive members of the marshal’s family and he’s quite impossible to forget in his own way. Do you by any chance remember why he had suddenly canceled half of his schedules one day?”
 
Like sure Myungsoo remembered. Even for a North Korean that guy was a weirdo. Oddly likeable though, in some way. And this day was the only day he had seen that guy not pulling out a very bad, bad joke. No, instead he had a smug and worried face. It was his sudden seriousness that had surprised Myungsoo the most from Lee Howon.
 
“Yeah, he learnt some kid he knew had some probl- wait. Was it you? The tiny black haired boy?”
 
“So you do remember me too,” Sungjong grinned. “I’ve changed a lot, haven’t I? But yes, that was still me back then. I know you are wondering why I was at Seoul but all you need to know is that I had been allowed to stay incognito there, but it turned out bad this time. Then I called Uncle in emergency and you drove us both back to the airport immediately, you know that side of the story. And I simply heard Uncle call you by your name. If I recall well that was one of your first drives too. You were more talkative with my uncle and a bit more nervous. That was cute.”
 
Myungsoo glared at him for good measure but he found this confession disturbing on many levels. First he was shocked he hadn’t recognized him, even if it had been almost a decade ago and Sungjong had been a teen at that time, it still bugged his pride. He was disturbed also about what made Sungjong so important that his uncle had to cancel all the planned negotiations just to get him back home. Well, seems like Sungjong was a member of the ruling family but he was still highly curious about that. But what bothered him the most was the knowledge that Pyongyang’s youth had ways to stay in his country incognito, without the government knowing. And surely South Korea would have never allowed that if it was known.
 
This would make quite a lot of thinking to do for Myungsoo that night but now was not the moment. He spent a large part of the night talking with Sungjong. And as it was only the young man satisfying Myungsoo’s unhealthy curiosity, now Myungsoo enjoyed talking with him. He asked a large range of questions, even some that Sungjong could actually decline to answer to, but he didn’t.
 
As the hours were turning pretty ungodly Myungsoo decided to stop there for the day, secretly hoping there might be another occasion to complete his knowledge. Though now he even knew Sungjong’s favorite brand of underwear, so he should be contented even with the smack on the head it got him for daring to ask.
 
Myungsoo took the bottle of champagne, pouring the rest of the beverage in both their flutes. He intended to pay half of the costs for this little evening and he already readied himself to eat only black beans for the next month after his bank account would drop dramatically to zero. He had left this question for the very end, frightened it would rise some tension between them or have Sungjong arguing again against Myungsoo’s opinion. And he wasn’t in the mood for a headache.
 
But the evening had gone smoothly and he was ready to try out.
 
“Sungjong… do you agree with what you try to defend? I mean… I guess you are negotiating the reunification under your marshal’s terms but… you’ve seen how we live here. Most of people love their life, much more than in your country. Do you really defend your system because you’re fine with it or is it you have no choice?”
 
Sungjong stared at him for a while. It was one serious matter. But Myungsoo just wanted to know, not to create a debate. He knew they were raised in completely different backgrounds and therefore, there was a high chance they would never share the same point of view. But he was really eager to know. Simply know, he wouldn’t push the young man to give him his reasons if he didn’t want to.
 
But as Sungjong’s eyes went down, Myungsoo regretted asking
 
“I can’t answer that Myungsoo. You shouldn’t even be questioning it. Do you imagine what a ruckus it would cause to have someone like me defending an opinion he hates to the core? You shouldn’t doubt it. I won’t answer that.”
 
“Why? I thought I was talking with the private you, not with the diplomat. I know what he thinks, but I want to know what red opinion is too. Your personal one.”
 
“I can’t, sorry. Either way I’d have to justify my answer and as I’m talking to you out of your work, I’m not sure you’d keep the secret. You’re not bound by your contract right now, I cannot take them risk.”
 
Myungsoo tsk-ed, not pleased at all by the answer. He wouldn’t say anything anyway, but it seemed like Sungjong was way too cautious on this point. But by the way Sungjong was turning his answers, Myungsoo was secretly hoping he actually didn’t agree to all the sufferance caused by his government.
 
“Then why did you tell me about your little clandestine stay in Seoul years ago? Aren’t you worried I might tell his?”
 
Sungjong smiled. “Who’d believe you? Your leaders wouldn’t even consider it, but they hate my country’s system to the core so they would a lot more easily buy the tasty news of a North Korean emissary not believing what he says. And I am here to be taken seriously, not to let people doubt me and my message. Your people may not want the same reunification as we do, but they still yearn for it. That’s why we have negotiations.”
 
Sure. That’s why Sungjong was the diplomat and Myungsoo the driver. One had endless moves ahead and was as smart as a fox, while the other only went with guts and feels. Myungsoo made a face to which Sungjong raised his glass in an elegant and amused salutation before finally getting up. The old-styled bar was now empty except for the barman cleaning his pile of glasses.
 
“You should go home. Meet me at 8. Be punctual, Myungsoo.”
 
“I will, as always.”
 
Sungjong smiled slightly and turned around, and that’s when Myungsoo realized he hadn’t asked his more important question. He called his name and the blonde only turned his head questioningly.
 
“Why did you want me specifically? Any driver would do.”
 
Short silence followed, then a smile.
 
“This. Let’s keep that question for the end,” Sungjong answered with a spark of something in his eyes Myungsoo couldn’t identify. “Good night.”
 
And on this the young man got out of the room with the glassy doors closing after him.
 
-
 
“That’s stupid, Myungsoo-sshi.”
 
This time, Myungsoo had to sink his teeth in his inner cheek. Yes, everything back to normal driver-client relationship. And same comments from his sassy passenger in the back seat. And naggy at this. Now he was delving in the importance of getting a good breakfast in the morning. Which was funny considering he basically looked like a twig to Myungsoo.
 
But Myungsoo had woken up late today and in order to “be punctual” he had basically thrown himself from the bed when he’d seen how late he was. No breakfast then. And now his tummy was growling out a symphony of uny noises as if to justify Sungjong’s rambles about meals. Luckily though the light turned green and in a matter of minutes Myungsoo was politely opening the door for the young diplomat. That left him with the whole afternoon free of his naggings and to actually eat something, which was good.
 
And Myungsoo did exactly that, taking a lunch somewhere and then patiently waiting for the young man to exit the fancy building. So he mostly spent his afternoon daydreaming. The thought of Sungjong sometimes crossed his mind though, leaving him sighing now and then.
 
He was wondering about tonight. This time he was supposed to be in service until very late. And he hadn’t been told what was the last destination he would drive the young diplomat to. It’s either he himself didn’t know yet or it was some place he should never be in. To this point Sungjong hadn’t given him any reason to doubt he was anything but honorable. But that one detail made Myungsoo wondering.
 
From the corner of his eye, he distinguished people around the building were starting to get agitated and he pulled the car the closer possible. Some bodyguards were pushing away the reporters and others were escorting a few eminent persons out of the building. Myungsoo caught a glimpse of blonde hair in the middle of a group of muscular bodyguards and as soon as one of them closed the car door behind Sungjong he drove away.
 
He checked worriedly in his rearview mirror and Sungjong seemed exhausted and not so pleased. Seems like once more, negotiations didn’t go too well.
 
“Mr. Lee, are you okay? Do you need us to stop somewhere?” He was quite pale and Myungsoo certainly didn’t like it.
 
“I am okay, thank you. If you have a bottle of water, though…”
 
Myungsoo carefully leaned towards the glove compartment and handed a bottle to the back. He made sure his passenger was okay and when he seemed to have settled down a bit, loosening his tie and leaning his head back on the seat, Myungsoo could finally focus completely on the road. He was supposed to drive around until Sungjong would give him his instructions. It didn’t take long.
 
“Do you know the Red Velvet, Myungsoo-sshi?” the younger asked, making Myungsoo instantly frown but he bit back his comments.
 
“Yes. Yes I do. We all do actually, it has quite an infamous reputation for a bar.”
 
“Good. That’s where we’re going.”
 
“But… Excuse my comment, but I’m supposed to keep you safe and this… isn’t somewhere I could easily do it.”
 
Myungsoo hated the thought of going here. The borough was creepy and with a car like this one it would draw all the attention. For the first time though Sungjong seemed to lose a bit of his temper and his beautiful face grew annoyed, voice coming out more like a snarl.
 
“All the meetings are not led in large rooms stuffed with coffees and useless urbane talks. Just get me here, that is all I am asking for.”
 
And on this silence filled the car and Myungsoo turned south towards his new destination.
 
-
 
Sungjong wasn’t happy when Myungsoo stopped the car in an underground parking lot, claiming they would have to walk over here. “You’re supposed to drive me!” he had screeched, clearly still on nerves and Myungsoo had simply replied with a “I can drive you there Mr. Lee, but then I won’t have anything to drive you back in”, effectively shutting him up and God did it feel good.
 
So now he was simply standing outside the bar, covered by the shadow of a tall gloomy building and patiently waiting for the young man to finish whatever he had come for. And for once he didn’t want to know. Dirty business, if that actually was it, wasn’t appealing to him.
 
He lit up a cigarette, bringing it to his lips and exhaling slowly the smoke. He was on his third when Sungjong got out of the bar, visibly exhausted but calmed now and safe and sound to Myungsoo’s relief. The blonde simply motioned to him to give him a cigarette and Myungsoo obeyed, even kindly lighting it for him. They simply stayed like that for a while, enjoying the cool air of the night as Sungjong’s shoulders loosened completely. He let out a little joyless laugh, lifting his eyes off the pavement and into Myungsoo’s.
 
“I hate my Uncle for this one. I may be good but he is more imposing. It was supposed to be him today, for the negotiations with your stupid, stubborn committee. But of course he had to fly away randomly to see his Filipino little buddy right before his mission starts. I should be the one fooling around. Damn it.”
 
Myungsoo smiled softly at the cute frown on the younger’s face and restrained from reaching out and combing through his slightly disheveled hair. It looked so soft. Instead he tossed the remains of his cigarette into the nearest trash bin and rubbed his hands together.
 
“It’s getting late. Let’s get you back to your hotel Mr. Lee, shall we?”
 
Sungjong took a look at the cloudy sky above their heads with a dreamy expression and sighed, nodding slightly before heading back in the general direction of the parking lot.
 
-
 
By now, Myungsoo was convinced he had a masochist tendency in him. For the six days he was at Lee Sungjong’s service it had been the same routine of being Cruel Lee Sungjong’s favorite victim. Sadly he didn’t have any other occasion to talk freely with the attractive young man. But he certainly got mentally knocked out by the diplomat’s words as surely as if he had slapped Myungsoo with a dictionary. The moral of this being: Lee Sungjong always has the last word. But deep, deep down Myungsoo started not to mind being picked on. Any interaction with the godly boy was growing satisfying to his heart.
 
So yes, maybe he was developing a slight crush on the man. Which was ridiculous. They didn’t even live in the same country and he would never see him again. There was no point in it. But once again life proved Myungsoo wasn’t at all about logics. Just pure feels. And so on the way to the airport he was now drinking in the oh so perfect features of Lee Sungjong in the rearview mirror. It still amazed him how beautiful he was. He wanted to believe his crush was just that: because of his looks. Thought to which his inner voice scoffed knowingly. Even Sungjong’s cheeky personality was now appealing to him.
 
I’m a ing idiot. He sang it in his head during the entire car ride, declining it mentally on each and every note and rhythm and . Like a middle-schooler. Sometimes he thought he deserved his hyung’s blow on the back of his head for being so lost in his own world.
 
But as they neared the Incheon Airport, Myungsoo felt more and more uneasy and sad. It would go away, it was just a crush for now and he could forget it in some weeks. But right now it made him swallow hard to see such a young man go back there. He was worried something may happen one day and he would never even know. And Sungjong didn’t deserve it, for goodness’ sake. Call Myungsoo a bit too protective but seeing how barely weeks ago the marshal’s own uncle got executed, he really feared for the younger boy. He kept his lips sealed though, it would do nothing but embarrass him to voice his feelings out.
 
He parked as close as possible to the airport’s entrance but didn’t move to open up the door for his passenger. He wanted to say something, anything. But he didn’t know what. His usually racing mind was now completely void. As he was to finally get out of the car and do his job to the end, Sungjong’s soft voice – softer than usual, almost a tender whisper if Myungsoo didn’t know better – made him stop.
 
“Didn’t you want to know why I wanted you to be my executive driver?”
 
The reminder made Myungsoo’s brows lift in surprise but he nodded eagerly, turning slightly his head to make sure he would hear it all despite Sungjong’s now low voice. The move was unnecessary though as the blonde scouted closer to the driver seat and leaned in, pressing his lips against Myungsoo’s ear and Myungsoo could swear the motion just had his soul kissing his body goodbye.
 
“Well,” Sungjong started, “that was the only occasion for me to actually get a ride with my long-time crush. I wanted only one, memorable ride with you. Wouldn’t let this chance pass, right?”
 
A giggle and a kiss on the cheek followed and suddenly the car was empty of any Lee Sungjong and Myungsoo could only stare in shock at the figure walking towards the gates. He quickly shook off his extreme shock and hurriedly got out of the car, shouting Sungjong’s name. with being formal.
 
Sungjong turned back towards him, raising his perfect eyebrow, a slight pink hue spread on the cheeks and it made Myungsoo’s heart race to see he was being dead serious with his revelation. He hesitantly walked up towards him, cupping his face and admiring him for a moment.
 
“If you ever, you know… have a clandestine stay in Seoul again, let me know. I’d gladly meet up with you again. I don’t mind giving you another ride or… anything else.”
 
“Well, that was a proposition,” Sungjong laughed and this time it was Myungsoo’s turn to blush.
 
“I-I didn’t mean that kind of ride, you ert. And- oh, damn it.”
 
He was proved enough already he couldn’t beat Sungjong at words. So this time he leaned in, pressing his mouth to Sungjong’s soft lips and engraving the sensation in the deepest parts of his mind for future reminder.
 
They slowly broke apart after a long and slow kiss, gazing at each other a while more, just a while more. But Sungjong finally whispered a tiny “take care” before pecking his lips quickly and disappearing for good into the crowd hurrying inside.
 
That was not until Myungsoo was seated again behind the wheel that his natural urges finally took over him again and he let out a strangled squeal before bumping his head on the wheel and leaving it here for a while. A smile broke through his face. Funny thing how his unexpected drive turned out to be the best in his life. And the best in Sungjong’s too, he hoped.
 
Maybe his totally stupid crush wasn’t so ridiculous after all.

StarlightSpirit: At what point in the last month and a half did I start enjoying Myungjong stories? Or maybe this thing is just extremely well written and sweet. I adored the bits of realism thrown in like the North Korea/South Korea issues, I love AU fics with realism. Great job <3