6

Masks (hiatus)

As Minwoo flung his eyes open, he saw the sun was setting outside the window, the orange sky was shining brightly, announcing the ending of another day. He got up from bed and stood by the window, admiring the beauty of nature, feeling all refreshed and alive, a feeling that he hadn't experience ever since he was young. It was probably because of the deep, peaceful sleep that he just had, again, he hadn't had any peaceful sleep since forever. Nightmares had always ambushed him whenever he closes his eyes, to the point that he had insomnia, severe one that he had to rely on alcohol to sleep. But that still didn't chase the nightmares away. It was strange that for this one particular time, he didn't have nightmares but he felt warmth spread over his body, he felt like he was loved and protected.

Andy was woken up by the rustling of Minwoo getting off bed, even though Minwoo didn't make much of a noise, as he was trained to have sensitive senses so that he could evade dangers immediately. With eyes half-opened, he looked at the short figure that was soaked in the orange light by the window. The backside emitted a somewhat lonesome, detached and vainful aura, a very familiar feeling to Andy. Both of them stayed silent until the sun had fully set, well, Minwoo didn't notice that Andy was awake and Andy was just observing quietly. He was drawn to Minwoo as the guy was somewhat intriguing, enchanting and resembling of himself. 

"When did you wake up?" Minwoo asked as he was startled to see Andy gazing at him when he turned around.

"A while ago." Andy replied as he got off the bed, started to fold the blanket. "What do want to have for dinner?"

"Hmmm... dinner... I'm going to eat out. You can just have whatever. Clean my room while you're at it too." Minwoo sternly ordered, just because he had a good sleep didn't mean his personality change nor did it mean he can take off the mask that had stuck to him for too long. He took off his shirt, which was stinking of alcohol from last night and discarded it right on the floor. Despite the fact that he's an alcoholic and his unbalanced lifestyle, his body was still presentable, if not somewhat hot. There was no six-pack nor toned muscles but it was a well built body without a beer belly. It must have been because he was still young, only twenty seven, that his liver could still handle all the toxicity. Minwoo walked toward the inbuilt wardrobe to pick out his outfit for the night.

Of course, Andy didn't care whether Minwoo strip or not, he was oblivious, imperceptive and accustomed with such occurrence to even feel anything. After an hour, while still in the middle of cleaning the room, a car key was thrown in front of Andy's face.

"The club." That was all Minwoo said as he walked out of the wardrobe, looking all fabulous, much more fabulous than usual as his body had recovered a little.

This time, Andy didn't even bother to question. He just accepted it as it is, that it was the other's immovable habit and it didn't matter to him whether the other change or not. The more flaws Minwoo has, the more advantageous Andy is. He picked up the key and left for the car park, without giving a glance at Minwoo which had made the guy furious. Minwoo was so used to get attention from everyone around him, to be praised though he was sick of it, but to be ignored like this, it also irritated him. 

After the silent car ride, well, Minwoo was scheming some plans to torture Andy whereas Andy was just focusing on his driving and be in character to keep Minwoo's interest in him, Minwoo ordered the housekeeper to obtain his favourite band's, or was it, autographs. Of course, every single member's signature. 

"Shinhwa? Are you kidding me? They are legendary, how can I meet them by today? Don't you think that you have more chance of meeting them than me? The mighty CEO of Shinhwa Company." Andy faked a disbelief reaction.

"I'm a busy body, unlike you. And have I mentioned about your punishment if you fail? Be ready for it tonight if you think you can't complete this task then." Minwoo laughed hysterically as he made his way to the club entrance, it was his last time visiting the club, or so he thought, for awhile since on Monday, he had to go to work.

"As if you're busy..." Andy mumbled under his breath as he drove off. 

 

At the basement

 

Andy entered the room to see the Birds were feeding each other with the over seasoned in sesame seeds kimbaps. It was probably the night snack that Hyesung had made, that guy just has a serious obsession with sesame; there's a reason behind it but that's for another time; that Andy couldn't understand nor withstand. However, it was not like they are that intimate to be concerned with each other's weird habits. 

"Haven't seen you in ages. How's the plan, or whatever you're on at the moment?" Junjin asked while his mouth was stuffed with kimbap.

"Going well. How's yours?" Andy replied, just like them, he didn't know what kind of plan they were having but they seemed to share a mission, well, not that Andy would put his nose into others' matters. He was already handful with his own.

"We are getting there. At Lee Seungi's party, we will make contact with our target." Hyesung disclosed the information that would normal been kept secret between him and Junjin. After all, it was ending soon and everything was already set with perfection and Andy was one of their colleagues. Even if they were not close, they knew each other enough to know that information won't be leaked.

"Oh, you're going to that party as well? Don't say you target is Lee Seungi himself because I have some matters to settle with him." 

"Such a coincidence!" Junjin exclaimed. "But fortunately,our target is Lee Min Ho."

"I wish you luck then." Andy walked toward Eric, who was fidgeting with the mouse and keyboard.

"Please don't mess it up. You're just not gifted at this." Andy chuckled.

"That's not the attitude to ask for a favour, you know." Eric commented.

"How did you know?"

"Because I'm gifted?" Eric laughed. "You returned too early compare to the settled deal, especially at this hour. So what is it?"

"Can you get Shinhwa's signatures?"

"That's a piece of cake. They're my acquaintances, or should I say, regular customers. You're lucky that I'm having a drink with them in a few moments. But why? Is it related to your plan?"

"In a way. It was one of the ridiculous orders from Minwoo." Andy sat down and performed some stock analysis, since he was already there, he thought he might as well get some work done.

"That guy is hard to get close isn't he? Even I, Zomric, the expert in social relationships and connections, haven't been able to peel off his front." Eric was stretching as he was getting ready for the drink session with Shinhwa. "But then again, I wasn't even trying, he's too insignificant to me."

"Uhuh." Andy had already tuned out Eric's voice as he focused on his task.

 

Minwoo's house, late at night

 

Andy had returned from the basement after getting  the signatures that he needed. Thinking that Minwoo would be home late and wasted again, Andy found himself cooking bean sprout soup in the kitchen. He was convincing himself that this was all an act to gain Minwoo's trust, that there was not an ounce of sincerity in it. While he was at it, Andy made omelette and ginger tea, which work miracle when it comes to easing hangover.

A few hours later, some time near midnight, Minwoo opened the door to his apartment just to see that the lights were still on. Though he had returned earlier than usual, he expected that Andy would be sound asleep, or did the guy forget to turn off the lights. Minwoo grumbled as he was not as drunk as usual, his mind was still able to reason. He cursed at himself for the certainty that he would not be able to sleep. He was certain that nightmares would haunt him on that very night since his body was exhausted, but not enough for the sympathetic system to kick in and force the body to shut down.

As he made his way to kitchen for some water, Minwoo found Andy sleeping by the dining table, which had still warm food plated out. Minwoo was touched, no one had ever waited for him, no one had ever cooked for him at this late hour, not even his own mother. The scene gave out the vibe of family, of tenderness, a vibe that Minwoo thought he would never be able to experience, or even see, again. 

Minwoo pulled out the chair and began to eat when Andy lifted up his sleepy head.

"You didn't have to wait." Minwoo said, in a somewhat rare gentle voice.

"I had nothing to do anyway, since I had completed that ridiculous task." Andy replied, he walked off to his room and soon, returned with the autographs. "Now you can hang it or treasure it in whatever way you desire."

"You make a frame for it tomorrow, a pretty one. How on Earth did you get it anyway?" 

"I was lucky. It turned out that Shinhwa is everywhere in Gangnam district at night because they're so carefree and such party people. I looked them up on SNS and their fans uploaded the photos of their encounters so I just tried out my luck." Andy smoothly pulled off his lie, it was partially true though, Shinhwa indeed can be easily spotted in Gangnam but one's luck must be enormous to meet them. Especially tonight, when they had already planned to drink with his boss, Eric.

"After you've done the dishes, come to my room." Minwoo tiredly ordered. The food was tasty and replenishing that it made him want to sleep straight away, so that he could be completely recharged. However, Minwoo feared the nightmares that come with sleep.

Soon after he had done the dishes and changed into his pyjama, Andy walked in Minwoo's room. The other guy was lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling, seeming to be counting sheeps. Andy slipped under the blanket, Minwoo immediately pulled the guy closer. He loved the pleasant warmth that the other's body was exuding. As he hugged onto the body, inhaled the mild scent of soap, Minwoo dozed off, much easier than he thought.

Does he have trouble sleeping alone or something? Now that I remember, he always seems to sleep with someone. Just what had happened for him to be this afraid of sleeping alone?

Andy wondered at the sleeping body that was hugging him tightly. Minwoo's body abruptly twitched and his legs were rocking the bed. Andy was bewildered but he quickly embraced Minwoo, soothing the still sleeping guy by patting his shoulder and kissed his forehead.

Must be a nightmare. Is this why he always drink till wasted before sleeping? Acting all tough and cool when actual, he's unstable at heart. Just what is so hard when he's living the life that many desire? Wealth, status, women, men, he can just have anything at his command.

Minwoo had calmed down after Andy tugged himself closely to the other while still rubbing Minwoo's arm lightly. After that, both of them were sleeping soundly without another ruckus throughout the night.

 


Hope it's interesting because I had decided to attempt slow pace so it might not be as action packed as other fics. And yes, I'm on hiatus after this chapter, once again, I know TT.TT but I can't help it. If I can find time to write, I will try to so that I won't have long long long hiatus like before. Not to mention I need to finish subbing Hidden Camera as well, arg... my life...

So? How do you feel about the story so far, my lovely readers? Which pair are you shipping, Mindy or Woodong? And somehow, I made all the Lee seem to be evil, sorry for that ><

and I just finished my last exam today which was during korean soccer match TT.TT 

And I'm moving house soon so maybe no Internet to update for awhile.....