14 - The Past II

Masks (hiatus)

 

Andy chanced upon a chicken restaurant, Chicken Mania, that was hiring part-time worker and fortunately, he was accepted. It wasn’t difficult to find a place to live, more like sleep, in as Andy didn’t have much belongings nor did he mind about living in a tiny room. It was so tiny, to the point that I’m not sure if it’s a room or not, it was three metres squared. He didn’t need anything fancy nor space, as long as he could fit in and have a place to return to at night. And it was cheap, he had to save up as much as he could so that he can buy another laptop and broadband.

It was a late winter night, the cold wind was racing through the air as Andy was on his way to deliver the chicken. It was a new address, one of those irregulars, yet a lot was ordered. The apartment building was rusty and gloomy, especially the hallway that was filled with trashes. The dim lights kept on flickering. Rustling sound of leaking water was softly echoing. Andy breathed in deeply as he rang the doorbell.

“I’m here to deliver the chicken.” Andy spoke as he saw a guy in suit opened the door.

“How much is it?” The guy asked nonchalantly.

“30000 won. Cash or card?” Andy replied as he glanced over the guy’s shoulder and peeked into the room. It was filthy, a drastic contrast compare to how nicely dressed the guy was. There were many computers running but Andy was not quite sure why as he could only catch a glimpse at them.

“Here.” The guy handed the payment to Andy, who seemed hesitant.

“Perhaps.... Do you have an old computer? Even a broken one would do. I really need one so can you please give me one?” Andy asked with a hope to get a laptop without having to spend much money. The guy was startled upon hearing the question. A glint of evil sparked from darkness of his eyes. He smirked.

A small thud resonated the hall way as the vibration spread. The lights shut off as the sound of shoes dragged against the floor. Through that darkness, a wide grinning smile was formed.

Andy opened his eyes, his vision was blurry, not that he could see anything but darkness. His conscious had not fully returned as he felt dizzy and a stinging pain from his neck. As he tried to rub his neck, he realised that he was tied up against a chair. The hazy memory was slowly emerging. He was knocked out by his customer, a powerful hit, more like a slash against his neck.

Confused. Terrified.

But Andy didn’t scream for help, even though his mouth was not stuffed, as he knew that would not help. The place was desolated, he was sure that if he scream, his chance for escape would lessen. All he could do was waiting for an opportunity to arise. Sitting there quietly, he began to wonder how long he had been unconscious and the reason for being held captive.

Time passed. The creaking sound of opening a door startled Andy. His hearing was sharpened as his sight was restricted. The man stepped into the room while carrying a plastic bag. He the light which blinded Andy for a second.

“So you’re awake?” He was standing in front of the captive, looking down on him.

“Why?” Andy glared at the man.

“Just because.” He smirked as he trailed his fingers on Andy’s jaw line. He drew his face closer to admire that youthful face. At first, he was thinking of disposing Andy because the guy had seen his secret, the computers. Those were for hacking and blackmailing people. However, seeing how pretty Andy was, he had changed his mind.

“Ouch!” The man flinched back, his lower lip was bleeding.

“What are you doing?” Andy asked in a cold yet shrivelling voice.

“Having a taste before selling you off. Of course I won’t go all the way, since that would lower the value.” The guy grinned bitterly. “But you’re quite fierce. I don’t want to damage my goods so I won’t lay my hand on you.” 

“How long have I been here?” Andy asked as his stomach was churning hungrily.

“About 5 hours? It’s just passed midnight. Eat this. I don’t want your value to decrease just because of your paleness from hunger.” The guy fished out cream bread from his plastic bag, held it against Andy’s lips. Though Andy hated it, he needed energy, he needed food so he bitterly swallow his anger and ate the bread.

“Good. I will come back when the time comes.” The guy exited the room before Andy could ask all the questions that were bubbling inside him.

The door opened once again, and Andy suspected that it was the time for his auction. The guy came in with blindfold, big garbage bag and ropes. First, he blindfolded Andy. Then, he untied the rope that bound Andy’s legs to the chair just to them together. He shoved Andy’s lower body into the garbage, tied it with rope around the waist so that Andy would have no chance of running or hopping away. Andy’s hands were untied from chair, it would be his chance to escape if he pushes the man away and take the blind fold off but it was hopeless. The man’s grip around his wrist was too strong for him to even wriggle. With Andy’s wrists tied up behind his back, he was completely doomed. The guy picked Andy up, carried him over his shoulder and headed to the elevator.

The blindfold was lifted off. Andy blinked a few times before he saw the audience in front of him. There were men and women, looking filthily rich and they were staring at him with interested eyes.

“Ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to this short noticed auction, my apology. However, as you can see, this is a very rare item. Youthfulness, fierceness and what more, completely inexperienced. White and clean as a new sheet of paper that allow you to write any story that you so desire. The starting point is one million won.”

“One million five hundreds.” A woman raised her place card.

“Two millions.” An old man at the corner bid.

“One billion.” A middle-age man voiced his price which startled the rest of the bidders. They were all staring at the man, bedazzled by his shocking price.

“One billion, first call. One billion, second call. One billion, third call. Sold.” The hammered sound had announced the conclusion of the auction. 

Andy was shoved into his new owner’s car, lying on his side, he stared at the man via the rear mirror.

“Are you crazy?” Andy asked furiously.

“No. You’re worth it.” Andy could see a smile formed on the man’s face. “I know that you’re gifted with hidden talents.”

“What are you going to make me do?”

“You will know, soon enough. I’m Hyun Min, your master from now on. What’s your name?”

“Why should I tell you?” Andy angrily replied.

“Indeed, you’re fierce. But I like it.” Hyun Min laughed.

They had arrived at Hyun Min’s house. In comparison to his wealth, his house was small and on the outskirt of Seoul. It was just like any other ordinary house that commoners have. Once again, Andy experienced being carried by a man.

As soon as they passed through the living room, Andy was thrown onto the sofa. Hyun Min had disappeared to somewhere that Andy couldn’t see. Minutes later, the master appeared with only a bathrobe on, probably a boxer as well. Andy was ogling at the guy as how on Earth did the guy get so rich.

“Stop staring! Or is it that you want something?” Hyun Min smirked as he drew his face closer to Andy’s, pretended to caress the younger guy’s face which brought goose bumps all over Andy’s body.

“Disgusting!” Andy crunched up his face.

“You should know that if it was someone else, they wouldn’t hold back and eat you up already. You better be thankful that it’s me, or more like, be thankful for your talents that caught me interest.”

“My talents?”

“You’re an unpolished gem. With a bit training, you can be the best hacker ever, not to mention, you have quite a bit of physical strength. Isn’t life a bit unfair that you possess both brain and brawn? But then again, maybe that’s why life has given you such unfortunate situation.”

“How did you know all that?” Andy was bewildered. He thought he was just a nobody in the overcrowded Seoul.

“My richness aren’t for nothing, I have my way around things. Enough said, you will serve me right? Not that you have a choice but I like it more when there’s agreement. I promise I won’t touch you in anyway, as long as you do the tasks for me, after you get proper training, of course.”

“Really?” Andy asked with some doubt but the sweet talking had already him in. He was thinking it wasn’t that bad after all. He was still a kid that knew little about life.

“Really.” Hyun Min stood up, fished out his phone and dialled.

“Can you prepare the operation by this afternoon?”

“It will be hard? What nonsense are you sprouting? Get it ready, I will come by at 5 pm. You know the consequences if things aren’t in place by then.” Hyun Min hissed at the phone and immediately hung up after the last word had left his mouth.

“What was that about?” Andy asked out of curiosity.

“Oh, nothing for you to worry about.” Hyun Min grinned. “I will be back soon. And I’m sorry in advance that I can’t untie you just yet since you might run away. I promise I will free you by tonight. Till then.”

Hyun Min flicked his fingers with a wink and left.

That afternoon, Andy, still tied up, was transferred to a shady basement. Though the outside looked pretty haunted and deserted, the inside was totally different. Everything was sparkly clean.

“Why are we here?” Andy asked Hyun Min.

“Just a little operation. It won’t hurt.” Hyun Min ruffled Andy’s already messy hair.

Though he had taken the dose of anaesthetic intravenously, Andy could still dreamily felt the stinging pain around his left ankle. It was as if he was pierced with thousands of needles continuously. His thought was spinning and scattered so he couldn’t figure out what type of operation he was going through. His headache was intensified but at least he didn’t feel the pain his ankle anymore. With all his will power, Andy opened his eyes.

“You’re awake?” Hyun Min’s voice resonated from a close distance.

After wriggling his body to regain senses, Andy tried to sit up. He was still in the same clothes that he had before the operation but he was not tied up anymore. An IV drip was attached to his left arm, probably to keep his body fluid balance. Remembering the pain he had felt during the operation, Andy folded his left pant up, revealing a thorny tattoo that wrapped around just a little above his ankle.

“What’s the meaning of this?” Andy asked Hyun Min; confusion, fear and anger were rising within him.

“Just a little device to ensure you will not run away from me. It won’t affect you in anyway. Now you can have your rest. Starting next week, you will be in intensive training mode. I’ve gota go now.” Hyun Min smiled and left. He was satisfied with the result of the operation.

I’m caged. Andy thought as he stared at the tattoo. Is this a GPS device? How can I get it out? Is this how he going to track me down if I run away? Do I have to serve him for the rest of my life? That sweet talking liar? I shouldn’t be so naive.

Andy sighed. Just why did I get wound up in this mess when all I wanted was to avenge my father?


So I have been avoiding this new AFF until now because I love the old version >< Anyway, gona take a while to get use to but some of the new features are quite nice. The notification system is better. Now there's cover for the fic just like a book which is cool. Sorry for the long hiatus.

And I tried new writing style for this chap as I attempted for a mysterious, horror-ish feel but I don't if that work out well. By the way, is the story too draggy with Andy's past?