13 - The Past I

Masks (hiatus)

Andy grew up in a warm family but it was a bit unfortunate that his mother had passed away when he was five. His father was struggling to keep the small business running after her death as he was not so good at book keeping. However, he was a good father. He took care of Andy and gave him utmost attention as Andy was always reminding him of his lovely wife.

It was about two years later, when Andy was seven that the business somehow became more stable and it even grew larger as it branched out. His father was still caring for him, but of course, as the business grew, he had become a much busier man. And for some reasons, Andy had noticed that his dad had been avoiding making eye-contact with him.

It was one fine spring day, Andy was hiding inside his father’s document cabinet which was located in his father’s empty office. He had folded himself to fit in, it was uncomfortable, but he wanted to see his father. It had been weeks that he had not seen his father and he was prohibited to go to the company. However, as young as he was, he didn’t care about the consequences, he just wanted to surprise his father.

Andy’s legs and arms were cramping up as time passed by. His eyebrows rose up as he suddenly heard the thudding sound of leather shoes against the floor. He creaked open the door slightly to see that it was indeed his father. He knew even though he could only the black pants and the shoes. He used to go through his father’s closet for countless times, admiring every single item, from the suits to pants, even to ties and pins. It was his way of killing time and ceasing his craving to see his father.

He was about to jump out but his father sighed loudly as he dropped his body onto the chair. Andy stopped his movement, withdrew his hand from pushing the door open even if his body was screaming for release. He sensed that his father was in no mood for a surprise, judging from that long heavy sigh. He was scared, scared that his father would scold him for misbehaving and love him less.

Andy was drifting off when he heard his father greeting someone.

“May I ask what’ve brought you here?” His father asked in a surprised tone.

“I think you know.” A cold voice of a man echoed in the room.

“Pardon me? I don’t quite understand...” His father’s voice was trembling. There were shuffling sounds of footsteps toward his father’s desk. Peeking through the creak, Andy could see that the other man was wearing dark navy pants, the very expensive ones.

“Still feigning ignorant?” Again, the voice was as cold as ice yet it burned, fuelled with vengeance.

“I...Don’t......Know...” His father’s voice muffled, as if his airway was blocked.

“Then I will tell you....” The rest of the sentence was whispered so Andy couldn’t hear anything but noises.

“How...?” His father’s voice died out as the cold voice cracked into a laughter.

“Just because. Now die!” A loud noise resonated, a scream died out as quick as it escaped its owner’s mouth. A thud that sounded like a body was dropped down to the floor. A distinctive smell evaded Andy’s brain through his noise, making him feel nauseous. It was stinking of metal, but somewhat worse, a sickening smell. Chill was tingling throughout Andy’s body, something ominous.

Through the creak, Andy could see the dark navy pants were walking away from the desk, heading out. After the office’s door was closed, Andy let out a buff, he didn’t notice that he was holding his breath the whole time. His body was still frozen that he couldn’t move till a while late.

As soon as his body thawed out, Andy crawled out of the cabinet. Immediately, an image was imprinted into his brain.

Right there. On the floor. Covered in red liquid. Lay his father. Eyes still opened.

Motionless. Breathless. Lifeless.

With trembling hands, Andy touched his father face. He was trying to rub away the flowing blood that was oozing out from his father’s forehead but instead of making it clean, he clumsily smeared the blood all over his father’s face. Shakily trailing his right hand down to the shoulder, he was shaking it vigorously, as if he was waking his father from his sleep. However, it was eternal sleep, one that could never be awakened from.

“Dad...?” Andy stuttered as tears were dripping down.

“DAD!” Andy screamed as he busted out in tears, after staring into those lifeless eyes. He had realised that even though they were opened, his dad would never wake up, ever again.

It was hours later, the police rushed in, apparently, there was nobody in the building during the incident. There was no witness, no clue or more like, everything was covered up. The only was there, Andy, whom was still crying, but without sound.

“NO!” Andy yelled as he clung tightly to the dead body that was dragged away by the police. However, his attempt was in vain as he was brushed off with a bit of force. 

Crawling on the floor then running after the stretcher that carried his father’s body, Andy hopelessly tried to see his father one more time but it was fruitless. His tiny hands reached out to grab the police’s clothe, however he grabbed nothing but air.

The next few days, Andy was residing in the police station. They were trying, or fake trying, to get information about the murderer but Andy didn’t speak. His eyes were wandering blankly, all he could see was a sea of red liquid, reek of rusty metallic stench. And of course, the sound of the gunshot kept on firing in his head. 

As they couldn’t get any word out of Andy, the police had sent him to psychologist for trauma treatment. After spending four months there, Andy was able to talk again, but he could no longer be the cheerful child that he once was. Smile was never seen on his face, his eyes were always drooping gloomily. He wanted to go home, but there was no place that called home anymore.

His father’s business was closed down. He didn’t have any inheritance as his father didn’t leave a will behind. There was no relative willing to take him in. Why would they anyway? His father had abandoned the family, severed all ties to marry his mother. There was no way they would take him as they didn’t even acknowledge him as their blood relative. He was merely a stranger. As soon as the relatives heard the news, they had been avoiding the calls that were asking them to raise Andy.

In the end, Andy was sent to an old, sloppy orphanage on the outskirt of Seoul. He lived in solitary, the other kids ignored him, and some even bullied him. But he didn’t care. All he wanted was revenge, his heart was burning with the desire to find that man and kill him.

Time flied by, Andy was seventeen. It was just a typical night at the orphanage, during dinner time. Andy was practicing his hacking skill on the worn out, outdated laptop that he had chanced upon few years back in the rubbish dump. It was broken but Andy fixed it with parts that he found here and there, and also, with parts that were bought by his saved up pocket money.

“What are you doing, freak?” A boy snickered at Andy as he slammed his fist on the table.

“None of your business.” Andy replied without taking his eyes off the screen.

“Is this what you learnt in school? Mr Genius.” The boy mockingly questioned. He had hated Andy from the very beginning, he just couldn’t stand the gloomy aura that surrounded the guy. And his hatred was fuelled with jealousy as they grew up, in school, Andy was praised for his intelligence. Andy was amazing and gifted with decoding, creating new codes and even hacking that the IT teacher was always dotting him.

“Just leave me alone.” Andy gritted his teeth.

“Fine!” The boy angrily turned away but he returned soon enough, with a bowl of soup. He poured the soup over the laptop as he grinned contently.

“What did you do?” Andy stood up with speed of lightning, grabbed the boy’s collar. His eyes were scarily sharp, as sharp as knives, that could cut anything with just a stare. The boy was speechless, his tongue refused to move.

“I asked what did you do.” Andy repeated, emphasized on every single word in a threatening tone.

“Serve you right!” The boy retorted but deep inside, his heart was shaking out of fear.

“You dare!” Andy punched the boy. Not once, not twice but twenty-something punches were thrown accurately hitting target. Luckily, before the fight could get any worse, Andy was pulled off by one of the staff that happened to walk by. No one could understand why Andy was so worked up for the laptop, they all knew that Andy was the type to avoid conflict. However, they didn’t know that all the traces of the murderer that Andy had worked so hard to find were saved on that laptop. It was his only clue, yet everything vanished just like that. Andy realised that he would not be able to achieve his goal if he stays so he saved up money by doing part-time jobs here and there.

As soon as he turned eighteen, Andy packed his belongings and set off to the inner city of Seoul without a word. The orphanage held no fond memory to him. It was just a shelter, a place to sleep in to him. He left with no hard feeling to embark on the journey for revenge.


So I discovered that not many people read my A/N at the end, that's pretty sad TT.TT

And can you not subscribe to my story and then unsubscribe? It's not like I put this story on subscriber only. I don't mind if you don't like it but why did you subscribe in the first place? It hurts more to see people subscribe then unsubscribe compare to not have subscriber at all. Don't give me false hope...

On another note, I'm so happy to see OT6 again xD But come on Shinhwa, why are you bombarding with solo activities now? When I'm nearing the end of my first year? Not to mention, 2013 classic finale DVDs, those concert goods, M- XMAS DVDs, etc, are you trying to dry me out? TT.TT well, i know you guys have to get money (because of that lawsuit) but please, don't just kill me by releasing everything at the same time.... Please come to Australia for your world tour, i will definitely buy your tickets!!

And I tried Dongwan oppa's dish that was on Happy Together, golbimmyeon, after hunting for the ingredients since ages xD It tastes wonderful :333