9

Masks (hiatus)

Another week had gone by with the usual routine of events, Minwoo getting home drunk and as always, Andy would be there. They had gotten somewhat closer, much closer despite the fact that none of them had spilled out anything important about themselves, but they sensed that they can understand each other. 

It was the weekend, on a Sunday morning, when Minwoo ordered Andy to drive him to a cafe.

“Cafe? Did I hear correctly? Shouldn’t it be club or bar?” Andy jokingly asked as he was surprised.

“I don’t feel like drinking today. You just need to drop me off since I’ll be with Dongwan.”

“Alright. Whatever you say. You will end up drinking anyway, just don’t come back too late. You’ve got work tomorrow.” Andy chuckled.

“Who you?” Minwoo retorted. “I’m paying you, you know.”

“That’s why I have to make sure that you go to work, make all that money and pay me some.” Andy laughed as both of them got into the car.

Dongwan was already enjoying his coffee at an isolated table near the window when Minwoo entered. He noticed his friend but didn’t bother to greet, he waited for the guy to come and sit down.

“You’re looking healthy and happy lately... What’s going on? Did you quit drinking and playing?” Dongwan smiled as he speculated that Minwoo had fallen in love with someone.

“Do I? I’m still drinking a lot though. I wonder why.” Minwoo snickered.

“So...?” Dongwan stared at the other, who was chillingly ordering a coffee.

“What?” 

“What is it that I’m consulting you today? And isn’t our normal consultation’s room is a V.I.P room at a club?” Dongwan had gotten straight to the point as he was extremely curious since he knew their codes. Loud, crowded, noisy clubs for normal, social hangouts; a private room in a club or bar for serious, distressing matters; street vendors for pure funs. Cafe had never made it to the list for their meetings.

“It’s a serious matter that I can’t discuss over drinks, I need a clear head.” Minwoo took a sip of his just arrived coffee.

“Go ahead...”

“I think I’m falling in love...” Minwoo paused, he was wondering if love was the right word. “But I don’t know what to do... I don’t even know if this time, it’s the right one...I’m afraid....”

“Who’s the lucky person? Andy?” Dongwan calmly asked.

“How did you know that it was him?” Minwoo raised his voice, he was surprised.

“You have been less frustrated and well-behaved ever since that person came into your life. You might not notice it, but I could see it in your eyes.”

“But is it love?” Minwoo doubted at his own feeling.

“How do you feel when you’re around him?”

“Well, there were no butterflies in stomach, there was no rapid pounding heart, there were no fluttering moments....But I feel peaceful when I’m with him...my insecurities and loneliness was chased away... And I could sleep well at night if he was by my side...” Minwoo slowly recited his feelings.

“So he is like a cure for your terminal disease?” Dongwan prompted, his friend had indeed fallen in love.

“I guess so... but is that enough? Just because I can feel relax when I’m with him, doesn’t mean he’s the one right?” Minwoo questioned, he had trusted people too easily before that everything seemed faulty to him.

“I really wish you would give it a go. Just how long has it been already? Since the last time you loved someone...” Dongwan didn’t finish his sentence as both them knew what, or who, Dongwan was referring to.

The coffee that they had just drunk suddenly gave a tang of extreme bitterness in their mouths, it was stuck on the tip of their tongues, lingering uncomfortably as they recalled the past.

Minwoo’s FLASHBACK

Minwoo was young and somewhat energetic back then, the time when he was in his early twenties, the time for blooming love. However, Minwoo’s heart was already darkened, but there was still hope.

He had a girlfriend that he loved dearly, she was his happiness, his reason to keep on living, his first love, his first person. And her name, it was Amy. She was a cute, sweet little girl since Minwoo had a thing for chubby short women. They met at university, since they shared few units together. He was attracted to her cutesy and bright personality with a bit of whining that he had asked her out after knowing each other for few months. Of course, she accepted.

It was their two years anniversary and Minwoo had taken Amy to the oh-so famous and expensive department stores since it was her wish. Minwoo had wanted to make a surprise romantic event but it was ruined, or not quite ruined yet. He still had something prepared for the day after.

“Oppa, I love you. Will you get me that handbag?” Amy was clinging onto Minwoo’s arm as she pointed at the bag.

“Of course, is there anything else?” Minwoo smiled happily as money was not a worry for him.

“That’s all. I don’t want you to spend a lot on me.” She giggled, she sure had her way with Minwoo as she knew how to get everything she wants, slowly, so that her prey wouldn’t find out about her motive so soon. Behind that angelic face, there was a calculating mind, weighing out the most beneficial thing she could get from a man.

“If I could, I would give you everything in this world, babe. Tell me your wish. How about that dress there?” Minwoo pointed at a beautiful silk dress.

“Oppa, you sure have good eyes for clothes. Should I try it on?” Amy had put on her biggest smile.

“I would love to see you in that dress.” Minwoo commented.

As soon as Amy walked out of the dressing room with the new dress on, Minwoo immediately raised his thumb up, grinning like an idiot.

“Kanji! You look beautiful!!” He complimented her. “I’ll buy it.”

“Oh , you don’t have to...” Amy pretended to reject the offer but she knew that Minwoo would pay in the end, and that was just exactly what she wanted.

They spent the rest of the day shopping and buying more stuffs that were solely for Amy. She didn’t even spend a single cent on Minwoo but he was too blinded in love that he didn’t notice. He was just too happy but that happiness ended the next day.

Amy hates surprise events as she was always put to an unprepared situation so she had told Minwoo to never prepare any. As much as he had loved her, Minwoo had obeyed her rule. However, he had prepared a surprise on the day after their two years anniversary.

It was still early in the morning, the sky was still dark but Minwoo was already in front of Amy’s apartment, dressing in a gorgeous suit and a bundle of red roses in his hand. He had the key for the door so he quietly opened it without making any sound, he slipped into the apartment.

Steathily, Minwoo made his way to her bedroom, excited as he thought about her surprised face but he was the who got shocked first. As Minwoo the light, there were two figures sleeping on the bed, one was Amy and the other was an unknown man. The bundle of roses was dropped to the floor, Minwoo couldn’t believe in his eyes. The two figures wriggled and rubbed their eyes as the light had woken them up.

“Min...Minwoo...?” Amy was startled to see the frowning man that was standing at the bedroom’s door.

“Who is this guy?” Minwoo screamed.

“I’m so..rry... Calm down.. it’s just a mistake....” Amy grabbed the bed sheet to cover herself, she didn’t want to let go Minwoo just yet, even if she didn’t love him at all, to her, he still had so much to fish out.

“What mistake? I thought you love me but I guess I’m wrong. It’s true, after all, women are the same! I don’t know you.” Minwoo fished out the ring that was meant for the proposal, threw it onto the floor with a disgusted look and stormed out of the apartment. He laughed like a crazy man as he drove off, how foolish of him to want to marry that kind of person, how foolish of him to believe that women can be trusted.

The heart is mine but why does it beat for other? Such a betraying, untrustworthy part of my body. I should just believe my brain and knowledge.

She had destroyed his last desperate attempt to hold onto love, trust and hope with her betrayal, not really betrayal when she didn’t love him to begin with. She was just a gold-digger, it was just a deceitful act that she had put on. Minwoo had completely lost himself as he drown into drinking and playing, that was how he had lived until he met Andy.

END OF FLASHBACK

“Do you think I can love again?” Minwoo asked, his heart was wary of being hurt again, of placing trust into wrong people.

“You have to. You can’t continue on living like this and I think Andy is a good person. Trust your gut instinct and be happy. You have been agonizing over that love for too long already. It’s time to let it go and start anew. I’m happy that you are warming up again, even if it’s a guy, I don’t care.” Dongwan was supportive, genuinely supportive this time because his first impression of Andy was good, like he could trust the guy.

“But what if...” Minwoo stuttered.

“Just give it a go. Don’t worry about anything, I have your back.” Dongwan stated firmly, he had always been watching Minwoo’s back ever since that time.

Dongwan’s FLASHBACK

Dongwan had been friend of Minwoo since childhood so they had shared most of their secrets with each other. They are what you call closer than family, thicker than blood even though they are just friends.

Dongwan was happy at the news that Minwoo was dating even if he had bad feeling about the girl when Minwoo had introduced her to him. He was glad that Minwoo was able to lighten his heart and smile again, something that Dongwan had been missing ever since the age of nine. Minwoo had just stopped smiling a few weeks before their parents divorced, Dongwan had suspected that the divorce really had negative impact on Minwoo.

For the two years of dating, Dongwan was relieved for his friend even if he could see that Amy was a bit greedy, he had told himself that it was nothing serious. However, there was the one night that Minwoo had barged into his house, laughing like a madman, bragging how amazing his girlfriend’s acting was, Dongwan knew that Minwoo had lost all hopes. He had pittied Minwoo as the guy agonized through the night, his friend couldn’t even cry, that was how painful it was. Too painful that even tear couldn’t fall out to ease away the misery. He regretted the fact that he didn’t tell Minwoo about his gut-feeling, if he did, maybe, Minwoo wouldn’t be hurt like this.

However, what were most upsetting to Dongwan were the following events that occurred. Amy was so angry at the fact that she couldn’t get back to Minwoo that she had spread rumours about Minwoo around and even on the Internet, just so that no one would get close to Minwoo. So that Minwoo would have no one else to turn to but her, also, she could get all the attention she had desired as Minwoo was the son of Shinhwa Company’s CEO. She had posted photoshoped images of them on her blog and the images spread like wild fire on the Net.

“I’m hospitalized for stress treatment... the break up was so hard TT.TT”

“Sigh... I thought he was caring and selfless... He is just a rich stingy jerk that can lie well and make up plenty of excuses... My poor heart...”

"I had shared every little thing I have... I have given him my most precious... but he...."

That were some of many posts that Amy had updated onto her blog, which was viewed by thousands people since they used to followed her obsession of updating every single bit of her relationship with Minwoo. Who wouldn’t like to read such hot issue about such famous rich guy? And Dongwan couldn’t take it anymore when Minwoo was too drowned in his our world and being isolated by everyone that he called Amy out for a private conversation. Of course, the girl accepted, it was her chance to get something out of it.

“I will get straight to the point, you have to stop spreading and posting those false information.” Dongwan coldly stated with his stern face upon seeing her.

“Who say it’s false?” She smirked.

“Do you think that you know Minwoo better than me, who has been with him for nearly 20 years? Even from the first meeting, your actions were unique and weird but I had to let it slide.” Dongwan said as he controlled his anger.

“So what? You can’t stop me from voicing my thoughts! It’s a free country.” Amy retorted.

“Then let’s take it to court, I’ll file a lawsuit for defamation. And I’m sure you know that you have no chance of winning if I do, my family runs the biggest law company in the country and the amount of connections we have is beyond your scope. Would you like me to do that instead? So you can attract a lot more attention that way, it’s a win-win, isn’t it?” Dongwan sneered at her as Amy’s face turned pale.

“Relax... I.. I will stop..” She stuttered, she was smart enough to back away.

“Delete everything and don’t ever mention about Minwoo again, not even in your private social circle. Don’t you dare show up in front of him, ever again.” Dongwan said in a threatening voice as he left the place.

Dongwan had decided to be by Minwoo’s side, attending all of the guy’s needs which were mostly emotional needs because he knew that Minwoo had no one else. Dongwan knew that he was the only one Minwoo could trust in the entire world, when everything was so dark and cold.

END OF FLASHBACK

“How do I tell him? I have been so cold and mean to him...” Minwoo wondered.

“Just find a quiet place, just the two of you, then tell him honestly, just pour out what your heart tells you to, not your brain. Then you will be fine.” Dongwan advised.

“Thanks a lot, Wannie. I love you.” Minwoo cheerfully said.

“No you don’t. You love Andy now. That’s what friends for, isn’t it?” Dongwan laughed.

 


I'm back, after the moving :))

Finally, Amy appeared in the story. I'm just soo glad that Minwoo didn't end up with her since there was news came out saying she's into drugs and was arrested in like 2011 or 2012 (can't remember). 

Up to this point, this story is 17700+ words, I can't believe that I had written this much, totally amazed at myself TT.TT 

Do comment!! And keep voting!