17

Masks (hiatus)

They had returned from the short weekend trip. They were much happier than before but they couldn't shed off their masks that quickly, not when they still had to face the world and dig up hidden information. However, when it was just the two of them, things were much more relaxing, much more real and warming.

It was a Tuesday morning, just two days after their trip. Minwoo had woken up extra early because he wanted to have more time with Andy. They were just too tired on Monday, though Andy did woke up early to prepare breakfast for Minwoo to have before work.

"I'm ready." Minwoo sang in an excited voice after washing his face and applied lotion.

"Why do you always take so long in the bathroom?" Andy's question echoed from the kitchen.

"Because I'm precious." Minwoo pulled a cute flower pose as he arrived at the kitchen. "Aren't I shining like sunflower?"

"Is this the real you? So cheesy and weird." Andy laughed as he pulled out an apron from a drawer. "Wear this, or else you will get flour all over your clothes."

"Aish, I'm a man. Why would I wear something like this?" Minwoo jokingly said as he put on the apron willingly. "What are we making?"

"Pancake."

"Hmm? But it's not raining. Pancake is the best for rainy days, it brings a nostalgic feel."

"Not that pancake, Western style sweet pancake. We can have kimchi pancake some other time, when it rains."

"Alright. Let's get this started."

"Can you whisk up three eggs for me? I will sift the flours in the mean time."

For a guy that only knew how to make plain ramen, which consisted of boiled water and the prepackage ramen only, cracking eggs was a real challenge for Minwoo.

"Aish!" Minwoo cursed out as broke the second egg in pieces. The tiny eggshells were mixed with the liquid and it was impossible to separate them. Of course, Minwoo sensed that it was not right to whisk the egg with eggshells but he struggled to crack the eggs perfectly.

"Are you done?" Andy asked as he saw Minwoo was fidgeting around, looking lost.

"Um... I'm not sure if I'm doing this right..." Minwoo hesistantly showed Andy the bowl of eggs.

"Oh geez, what have you done to them? Poor thing." Andy was half laughing, half crying when he finally saw the eggs. "So you have never cracked an egg before?"

"Nope." Minwoo replied, slightly embarrassed by his incompetency in cooking.

"Here. I will show you." Andy took an egg and demonstrated while explaining the steps. "So you hit the middle of the egg at 90 degree angle against a sharp edge. But don't put too much force into it, just enough and it should be cracked as easily and beautifully as this. Be gentle and you won't shatter the whole egg."

"Wow, that was so easy." Minwoo's eyes became round as he was amazed as how easily it was. He succeeded straight away after following Andy's instructions.

"So do I just beat it with chopsticks?" Minwoo proudly placed the bowl in front of Andy.

"Just beat it gently." Andy smiled at how innocent and carefree Minwoo was, it was a new side of him and this side seemed to be closer to his real personality. The way Minwoo's eyes sparkled with amazement while beating eggs were just like a kid learning new things, clumsily yet very enthusiastic.

"How come you're so clean? I have eggs all over my apron." Minwoo pouted.

"Because I know how to handle things. I'm going to make the batter now." Andy turned his back to get the sugar jar from the pantry. Meanwhile, Minwoo got a little mischievous. He secretly dipped his index finger into the flour.

Andy had turned back with the sugar jar. He was putting a cup of sugar into the flour. Minwoo suddenly closed the distance between them, leaning closer. He then lifted Andy's chin up a little, cupped his face and gently graced their lips together. Soon, the kiss became more intense as Andy wrapped his arms over Minwoo's shoulder. Andy was biting on Minwoo's lower lip, trying to get into that warm and wet cavern but suddenly, Minwoo pulled back. Andy was confused with the smirk on the other guy's face.

"Why did you stop?"

"Because you have flour on your face." Minwoo giggled.

"Aish you jerk! So that's why you started it..."

"Did you expect something else? Something more intense?" Minwoo winked. He then leaned in closer to Andy's ear and whispered. "You know we can have some tonight, if you're so interested."

"Sound good to me." Andy grinned while keeping his composure and mixed the eggs with the flour to make the batter. "Can you heat up the pan? Put some oil in as well, but just a little."

The sizzling sound when the batter touched the pan could totally make one's heart flutter. The sweet creamy smell crept its way into our two guys heart, or second heart which was the stomach. As soon as the batter turned golden brown at the bottom, Andy skillfully flipped it by flicking the pan lightly.

"I want to try."

"Go ahead." Andy handed the batter to Minwoo. Instead of pouring the mix in straight away, Minwoo was carefully pouring it bit by bit, trying to make a shape out of it.

"What are you doing? It's going to be cooked unevenly." Andy leaned over to see the creation in the pan. The shape looked somewhat like a heart. "You're making it heart shape? How cheesy. You need frame for it to work."

"Yah! Don't make fun of me." Minwoo pouted but he knew he failed with the heart.

"I will fix it. I'm sure it's taste good regardless how it appears. Let's cook quickly so you won't be late for work."

"But I don't want to leave you..." Minwoo whined while back hugging Andy.

During breakfast, their conversation had turned back to serious mode. They were discussing of how to get close to Lee Seungi to get the information from him.

"He won't be having any other home party soon. And he only allows very close people to enter is mansion on a daily basis."

"You don't have to worry over it. I can find a way."

"But I want to help. I don't want to you to get involved in risking thing by yourself. I have your back. Maybe I can ask him if he needs any human resource right now."

"Alright, but don't put yourself at risk either."

"Are you going to Eric's later?"

"Since I don't have to pretend to be your housekeeper anymore, I would like to. Work probably piled up already."

"Don't have too much fun without me." Minwoo pretended to be jealous.

"Let's get you to work. I will drive." Andy offered after he quickly kissed Minwoo, just to show the other guy that he loved him, not anyone else.

After he had dropped Minwoo off at the company, Andy headed for the basement. He kind of missed the guys there, even though he had just seen them last week.

"How was the trip?" Eric asked as soon as he saw Andy entered.

"Not too bad. Did anything happen?"

"Not like I could reach you if anything happened. So did something happen between you and him?"

"A lot but he trusts me now."

"Does that mean you can return to work as normal now?"

"Somewhat. Until I need to get the information."

"Good to hear. There's work piled up for you. Enjoy." Eric pointed at the clean desk where the Birds were working at.

"How'd you been doing?" Hyesung asked while searching up some companies.

"Great. How's that guy?" Andy pulled out his chair and started the PC.

"He's going through ninth level of hell right now. It's wonderful. The guy is totally in despair to die, he had lost the hope to escape alive."

"Sound like sweet revenge." Andy mumbled as he focused on his work and so was Hyesung. Junjin didn't join their conversatio because he was too busy catching up on his long overdue mission. The room was quiet, there was soft sound of breathing and snoring from Eric, the occasional typing and sighing from the awake guys. It was so comfortable for Andy that it felt like home, a place that was erased from his dictionary since long ago.

Meanwhile, Minwoo was having business meeting at the company with his uncle. He was tired of seeing his uncle fake sincerity toward him, the guy was just greedy and calculative behind that generous mask.

"Uncle, I've noticed that you haven't hand in the financial report for this month yet. Is there something wrong?" Minwoo asked, even though he knew that his uncle was trying to make a fake report so that he could get some money. It was always like that but his uncle wouldn't make a simple mistake such as handing in the report late like this. Lee Seungi was just as corrupted as anyone else in this company. Sometimes, Minwoo wondered why this company is holding out for this long ad be successful when the people working here are so corrupted and greedy.

"My secretary resigned so I don't have anyone to write the report at the moment. It might take awhile before I can find a new one." Lee Seungi replied.

"Why don't you try to hire new employees into the company, then you can pick out the best to be your secretary. Some of our branches are in need of workers anyway, so it will be a win-win, wouldn't it?"

"Seem like a great idea."

"I will talk to father about it and let you be the final judge of the employment process. I have to go now."

I thought he would try to implant his people into my circle so that he could spy on me. I guess he's still young and naive. Seungi thought as he smirked a little. He was so certain that he had the upper hand.

I'm not that stupid to recommend someone to you, you would definitely think that is my spy. Also, my Andy is far more capable than that. It's my win, uncle. Minwoo smiled as he bowed to his uncle and left the room.

In a desolated corridor, Minwoo grinned happily and texted Andy.

 

Minwoo: I found a way for you to be close to my uncle.

Andy: How? Did you do something risky?

Minwoo: No. We're just in luck that he needs a new secretary. All you need to do is prepare for the company's interview.

Andy: Why is it the company interview? Shouldn't it be interview with him?

Minwoo: He doesn't trust people, especially me. This is just a way around it. Trust me.

Andy: Alright. Are you done? Do you want me to pick you up now?

Minwoo: Not quite yet but probably soon. But don't you have a lot of work to finish? Since you were absent for so long.

Andy: Nah, I can drop in any time and there's nothing urgent at the moment. I'll come in half an hour.

Andy glanced at the lazy atmosphere around him, everyone was somewhat slacking off but that was to be expected. It was just one of those rare blissful days. After he had saved all the data, Andy turned off the computer and headed out.

"You're leaving already?" Junjin sleepily looked up at Andy.

"Yeah. I need to pick up Minwoo."

"Enjoy. You seem happier these days. Must be the power of love." Junjin winked as he dragged the word love for longer than usual to tease the guy.

"Must be." Andy grinned and left. Junjin was in dazed how quickly and sincerely Andy admitted that for the Andy he had known had always been distant and emotionless.

 


Here's the fluffy treat, not my cup of tea but what can I do? I had written too much depressing stuff so you guys deserve some relieving moments. I know it might not fit the characters but yea, they deserve some light, innocent-ish moments. I hope that I didn't fail at fluff. Should I write a few more fluff chapters? (not that I have the scenes or ideas in mind but I might be able to)