8

Masks (hiatus)

It was finally Friday, the day of the party and Andy was excited as he dressed up in the outfit, suit and tie, that Minwoo had picked out for him. He drove to Shinhwa Company as he was told by Minwoo to pick up the guy from there.

"You look nice." Minwoo said as soon as he entered the car, after spending only some nights together, Minwoo had already trusted Andy enough to say some genuine comments. 

"You're being nice, for once." Andy  commented as he drove off. Minwoo stayed silent as he didn't know what to say, he wasn't that close to Andy to disclose everything and if he does, it would be too long of a story for the short car ride. 

They had arrived at the party that was held in the front garden of Lee Seungi’s mansion shortly, all eyes were on them, or at least, on Minwoo since he was the infamous son of Shinhwa Company’s founder that is holding the co-CEO position of the said company. Young glamorous women were flocking to Minwoo’s side, flashing their flirty smiles and grins, trying to catch the guy’s attention. As per usual, Minwoo had put on his eye-smile killer look and walked through with confidence even though he hated it inside.

Andy fixed his eyes on Minwoo, he could see through that mask, that Minwoo was uncomfortable, the guy just wanted to be left alone. Andy felt sorry for the other, for being surrounded for the artificial status and the enormous wealth that Minwoo seemed to have, little did they realised that Minwoo was caged and suffocated.

“Please make way, we need to get through quickly.” Andy smirked as he gently brushed off the ladies. He had stepped in, walking beside Minwoo so that the other would be somewhat more comfortable. After all, Andy was meant to be the bodyguard for the day.

“Good work.” Minwoo whispered, he wanted to thank Andy but the words didn’t come out, it was still a long way before he could completely express himself.

Before Andy could say anything, he was stopped by Dongwan, who was beaming to see his friend.

“Hey! Anyone catches your eyes yet?”

“No, they’re all the same... I’ve met them at countless parties already, especially these ones... They’re not worth it, not even for one-night stand.” Minwoo replied.

“I’ll be off then.” Andy said as he needed to execute his plan.

“Go ahead.” Minwoo answered.

During the opening speech, Andy secretly walked around the mansion, noticing and memorizing every single blind spot, CCTV locations as well as the guards' positions. He was trying to figure out the place where the documents he had been looking for was but it was difficult. He had no clue on whether it was placed in a safe or was it hidden in some other places.

As swift and soft as a cat, Andy slipped back into the crowd at the party so that Minwoo wouldn’t suspect his absence. He was contemplating to go into the study room, that place is the most likely, but Lee Seungi is not an ordinary man. Minwoo signalled at Andy, telling him to bring a drink over. Andy sighed as he followed the order.

“Here you go.” He handed it to Minwoo.

“Why didn’t you get two? I held up two fingers didn’t I?” Minwoo scolded him.

“I’ll quickly get another one.” Andy walked off and returned with another glass of champagne.

“Who is this guy?” A man approached them asked.

“He’s my bodyguard. Long time no see, Minho.” Minwoo greeted the guy with, of course, with a smile but Andy could see bitterness from that smile.

“I’ve been refraining myself, after some incidents.” Minho’s face darkened. Andy was curious as he suddenly remembered that this guy was the Birds’ target.

Poor guy, you’re probably going to taste Hell after today, I wonder what had you done, they are heartless, completely heartless when it comes to business and revenge. You better enjoy you last moment.

Andy glanced around, he spotted the Birds, who were blending into the crowd, slowly approaching their target, which was the guy chatting with Minwoo. Andy didn’t want to get involved in the other’s plan nor did he want to get Minwoo into the upcoming trouble so he quickly dragged Minwoo away.

“Yah! What are you doing?” Minwoo yelled at him.

“Dongwan is looking for you, I think it’s something urgent.” Andy lied but lucky for him, Dongwan appeared right in front of them.

“Where have you been? I looked for you.”

“Just chatting with Minho.” Minwoo replied.

“I thought you hated that guy?” Dongwan raised his eyebrows.

“I still have to talk to him, he’s my cousin and he approached me first. Let’s eat, I’m hungry.” Minwoo quickly changed the topic and Andy excused himself to the toilet, leaving the two guys to have their private conversation and also, he needed to get back to his investigation.

The door was locked but it was not a problem to Andy as he instantly unlocked with his experienced lock-picking skills. Andy sneaked into the study room, carefully searched every corner of the place but he couldn’t find anything, not even a small hint of a hidden door nor hidden cabinet. He was disappointed, all that time was wasted for the search in this hopeless room. He exited the room, not forgetting to lock it, trying to figure out which place is the next that has the likelihood for hiding secret stuffs.

“The basement...” Andy muttered under his breath. He was roaming around furtively to find the way down but as he had walked the whole place, a sudden realization hit him.

There’s no basement. Is it even possible? For this type of huge mansion to not have a basement? For this type of evil to not have secret place?

Andy was at a loss, he didn’t know that Lee Seungi would be this good at covering up. There was no other choice but to confront the man himself. Andy let out a long sigh, he had thought that he would get the answer today.

Guess I can’t detach myself from Minwoo yet, since I need a bit more time. That guy is much nicer lately. He’s somewhat similar to me but I don’t know why...

He returned to the party, wandering around for awhile. Then, the place was filled with ruckus. Andy didn’t even need to think twice when assumed that the Birds had executed their plan. There were noises everywhere, people were rustling around, either evading or gathering to a particular place that Andy believed was where the action took place.

“What had happened?” Minwoo rushed to Andy.

“I don’t know, I don’t think we can take a closer look.” Andy was chillingly eating pasta from his plate.

“Aren’t you curious?” Minwoo questioned, he was surprised at how calm Andy was.

“No, it’s not that great to be nosy about everything. That would just bring more troubles you know. But if you want, we can go and look before authorities come in. The people are dismissing already.” Andy pointed at the dissolving crowd with his fork.

“Let’s go!” Minwoo quickened his steps to approach the scene. Blood was spilled on the ground, staining the green grass with the contrasting red. A finger was cut off and chopped into three pieces. A note was left behind, next to the chopped finger.

[It’s about time to astonish for your crime.]

That was written on the note, Andy praised himself in his mind, he was correct. The Birds had taken action and the man, Minho as he recalled the name, was probably still alive. But that guy must be wishing that he can be dead by now since this was just the beginning of his tortures, the tortures that would be descending down from those two vengeful hearts. Looking at the note, Andy wondered how he should kill his target.

Should I kill him with a gun or with a knife? Should I make it quick or should I terrorise him, mentally and physically before ending his life? Or should I take away his most loved thing or person, destroy it in front of him, then kill him? But no matter what, I will kill that person...

Andy’s train of thought was interrupted as Minwoo dragged him by his arm, away from the scene.

“That was sick.” Minwoo’s face was quite pale, despite the tough, cool front he put up, he was not used to this kind of thing, he had not seen anything like this in real life. His stomach was twisting and on edge of forcing the content inside out.

“You look sick.” Andy commented.

“How can you be so normal?” Minwoo stared at Andy.

“I don’t know?” Andy simply shrugged his shoulders. He was too used to this, blood, violence, beating, killing and what not. That was part of his life, part of his training and that was how he survived. He had harmed others before, cutting off limbs and parts of body so that he could dig out information for revenge.

“Let’s go home. I can’t handle this nausea any longer.” Minwoo cringed his face.

After Minwoo had excused himself formally from the party, both of them quietly left as the place was noisy with police interrogating the witnesses. Minwoo immediately went to his room, dropped his body onto the bed as soon as he had reached the apartment. It was mentally draining that his body was about to collapse. Every time he closed his eyes, flash images of the blood spills and finger vividly appeared. He let out a groan, cursing at himself for wanting to look before, he should have just stayed with Andy instead.

Andy walked into Minwoo’s room, sat on the side of the bed, gazing as he empathized for the other guy. He recalled the first time he had seen blood spills, it was such horrendous and traumatic experience that he was out of his mind for weeks. Andy gently pulled Minwoo’s head and placed it on his lap, his hand covered the other’s eyes.

“Just don’t think about it.” Andy whispered.

life is brief
fall in love, maidens
before the crimson bloom
fades from your lips
before the tides of passion
cool within you,
for those of you
who know no tomorrow

life is brief
fall in love, maidens
before his hands
take up his boat
before the flush of his cheeks fades
for those of you
who will never return here

life is brief
fall in love, maidens
before the boat drifts away
on the waves
before the hand resting on your shoulder
becomes frail
for those who will never
be seen here again

life is brief
fall in love, maidens
before the raven tresses
begin to fade
before the flame in your hearts
flicker and die
for those to whom today
will never return

Andy sang his favourite song, it was his lullaby that his mother had sang countless and countless of times, telling him how much she had loved his father because that song had encouraged her to. Their love was forbidden as she was poor and he was rich but that story is too long to be told so I should stop here, let’s get back to our story. As Minwoo listened to the soft singing voice, his fear and anxiety faded away. Soon, there was no more blood, no more disgusting images but a peaceful ocean in the orange sunset and Minwoo was sitting in a boat, Andy was opposite him, singing the song. Or that was how Minwoo had imagined as he dozed off.

Andy stealthily slipped Minwoo’s head onto the pillow and closed the door as he left the room. He still had to make dinner and do his round of chores, also, he wanted to stop his heart from pounding so fast. He was unsure of the reason since he had sung the song countless of times to Eric but there wasn’t any kind of reaction. 

Aish!! I really need to clear my mind. I guess being unable to find the document today really screwed me over. But Minwoo is pitiful... he is a jerk... but not too bad... He couldn’t even handle today event...

After he had done the chores, Andy creaked open the door of Minwoo’s bedroom a little, just so that he could check on the other. He was worried that Minwoo would throw another ruckus in his sleep again.

 

 


The song is gondola no uta, I used it because I love the lyrics and I'm a hardcore fan of Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden (it's a manga, if you don't know manga, then let say it's Japanese style comic/storybook). 

Is there anyone curious about the Birds? I might write more about them and their revenge when the time come :D

I'm moving house tomorrow so no Internet for awhile TT.TT I can't vote for shinhwa during this period *cries*

But you guys should vote!!! http://mwave.interest.me/promotion/worldchampionship2014

http://mwave.interest.me/mcd/10thAnnivBestSongsList?mcdMenuId=menu11_2