Make it work

Kiss Me

Yuri looked at Jessica thoughtfully, contemplating whether to ask the question that had been irking her since the news of Taeyeon and Jessica getting back together broke out. Her brows furrowed, seeing nothing on the finger she had expected to be adorned by a diamond ring by now. Surely Taeyeon could afford that, right? And Taeyeon would make sure Jessica gets nothing but the best.

She stared, and stared at Jessica's finger until a nudge on her left leg broke her out of her reverie. She turned to her wife, only for Yoona to look at her questioningly.

Mouthing a 'what', Yuri proceeded to eat her Beef Teriyaki.

Yoona, on the other hand, gave her 'the look'; misunderstanding Yuri's stare. The tanned woman rolled her eyes before clearing ; earning Jessica and her friend's attention.

"So," Yuri put her chopstick down and interlaced her fingers under her chin, "When's the wedding?"

Jessica almost spit out her food as Tiffany yelled from her side, eyes wide as saucers.

"Jessi! You're getting married?! And you didn't tell me?!"

Jessica rolled her eyes, "What marriage? I'm not getting married. Maybe Yuri's asking about your wedding."

Tiffany calmed down, "Oh." Her mood instantly changed into a giddy one as she put her chopsticks down, eyes sparkling and all. "It will be on the--"

"No, I mean.. sorry for being rude but I was asking about Sica's." Yuri said, letting out an apologetic smile.

It was Jessica's turn to look at Yuri incredulously, like the woman just grew another head. No, three heads. Why the heck would Yuri think she was engaged?

"Don't tell me you're not engaged?" Yuri said.

"Why on Earth would you think I'm engaged? I'm with Taey--"

"That's what I'm talking about! I was asking about yours and Taeyeon's wedding!" Yuri said, throwing her hands above her head in exasperation.

Yoona squeezed her wife's thigh, making Yuri calm down.

"I was wondering about the same thing too." The youngest of the four spoke up in a calm and low voice.

Jessica nibbled on her lower lip, "We.... haven't really talked about... that."

Yoona was fast at catching the hesitation in her bestfriend's eyes. "You're not sure you want to marry her." She states matter-of-factly.

Yuri and Tiffany shifted their gazes from Jessica to Yoona and back to Jessica again, anticipating for her response.

"I.. don't know. I'm scared.. t-that if I say yes.. history will repeat itself. But I love Taeyeon. I really do." She let out a shaky breath, "..and besides, I don't think she wants to marry me either."

Tiffany's heart tottered at the sadness in her bestfriend's voice.She swung an arm around Jessica's shoulders, "Well, who needs marriage when you've already got a child, right?" She squeezed Jessica's upper arm before her lips broke into a smile, eyes disappearing and all.

Yoona smiled at the two women in front of her before nodding her head yes.

"Sorry, Sica. I shouldn't have brought it up." Yuri said, looking at anywhere but Jessica.

"Silly girl. It's okay." Jessica said, reaching across the table to squeeze Yuri's hand that was resting on the table.

"Let's just eat, okay? The dark girl cooks really well." Tiffany chirped, picking her chopsticks up; earning laughter from Yoona.

Finally looking up at Jessica, Yuri smiled before beckoning Jessica to resume her meal.

**

Taeyeon looked at Sunny who paced back and forth in front of her. The girl showed up in her office with puffy eyes and spewing incoherent words. Taeyeon patiently waited for the short girl to calm down, occasionally sipping her water as she felt a migraine coming up. She suddenly misses Jessica and Seohyun; she wonders what the two could have been up to. She wanted nothing but for the clock to strike five so she can go home already.

"..and the wedding's next week!" Taeyeon snapped out of her daydreamas soon as the words entered her consciousness.

"What? Whose wedding?" She said, standing from her swivel chair to move in front of Sunny who, thankfully, had stopped pacing about.

Sunny groaned, "You weren't even listening!"

"Sorry.. I was just thinking about.. something."

Sunny rolled her eyes, "More like someone."

Taeyeon's cheeks burnt at the words as her lips broke into a little smile.

"Anyway!" Sunny interrupted before Taeyeon could drift into her own world once again. She sat on one of the chairs that were facing each other while Taeyeon followed suit; sitting on the opposite chair as she tries to focus on whatever Sunny was about to say.

"Hyomin's getting married. Next week." Sunny let out, head hung low as her fingers fiddled with each other.

"Who? I don't think I know someone by the name of Hyomin." Taeyeon's brows arched as she tries recollecting where Hyomin came from; only to come up with nothing.

"Right. Hyomin, she's..." Sunny swung one leg over the other, "..she's the one I've been seeing for months now. But we're not official coz she's engaged with this girl, Jiyeon, and she can't leave her because the girl is suicidal."

Taeyeon nods, signaling for Sunny to continue as she process everything that's being said.

"She called me this morning," Taeyeon noticed Sunny's lower lip quiver and she moved to Sunny's side on reflex, hand rubbing the dejected girl's back.

"She said she was sorry.. and that she loves me, no matter what." Sunny broke into sobs by then and Taeyeon's heart goes out to the dejected girl.

"And what did you say?"

Sunny violently wiped her tears with the sleeve of her shirt, sniffling some. "I told her I was okay and that I love her too."

Taeyeon clicked her tongue, "But you are not."

Sunny nodded, "I am not."

"Then why did you let her go?"

"The same reason why you let Jessica go before."

Taeyeon opened and closed , only to come up with nothing.

"I can't be selfish." Sunny whispered.

"And you chose to hurt yourself instead."

"We all do sacrifices, Taeyeon."

Taeyeon couldn't agree more, but she's been through that and her actions just caused her unbearable heartbreaks after heartbreaks. Her heart never stopped breaking the moment she chose to let go of Jessica. It's still a mystery how she managed to survive for years.

"But you love her and she loves you. You're the one she’s supposed to be marrying."

Sunny bit her lower lip. Taeyeon was right; she shouldn't just give Hyomin up without a fight. But didn’t Hyomin choose this for them? She had already decided, right? Dump Sunny and marry Jiyeon; that was it, right? Sunny breathed out a sigh; should she really go after Hyomin?

“Don’t think about it. Do what your heart tells you. You love her, right?” Taeyeon’s voice snapped Sunny out of her dilemma.

“I do. I really do. I’ve never felt like this for someone before.”

Taeyeon nodded, “Then you don’t have a problem. Just tell Hyomin you don’t want her to marry that girl and well, the best thing to do is for Hyomin to admit to that girl that she’s in love with someone else.”

“But Taeyeon.. Jiyeon, she’s.. suicidal. She tried to kill herself once when Hyomin broke up with her.”

“Did she really attempted suicide? Or was she just threatening Hyomin?”

Sunny tried to recall what Hyomin had told her, “She said Jiyeon called her, threatening to kill herself.”

Taeyeon groaned, “She’s just threatening! How can she fall into that girl’s trap?”

“W-what are you trying to say?”

“She’s not going to kill herself. Believe me. Just talk to Hyomin, okay? Please don’t make stupid decision, Soonkyu.”

Sunny smiled, rising up from her seat before pulling Taeyeon in for a hug. “I don’t know if I should thank you.. but thank you. You’re the best, Taeng!”

Taeyeon cocked a brow at the younger girl as she pulls away from the hug, “And why wouldn’t you thank me?”

“Because you just made everything more complicated! Talking to Hyomin means more drama.. and crying.”

Taeyeon flicked a finger at Sunny’s forehead, “Silly girl.”

Sunny pouted before they settled back on their seats.

“So, how are things with you and Sica?”

Taeyeon’s lips broke into a grin, “We’re good. Better.”

Sunny nods, “So, are we expecting a wedding soon?”

Taeyeon’s smile instantly dropped and was replaced by a frown.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Sunny inquired with innocence.

“I.. we’re not.. getting married.. I think.”

Sunny raised a brow at the older girl, “You’re kidding, right? You have a daughter; all that’s left is marriage.”

Taeyeon sighed. “She’s—I think she’s afraid. We’ve never talked about it, and whenever I try to, she avoids the topic. I think.. I left a pretty big scar on her heart and she’s scared of promises.. proposals.. weddings.”

"And you don't have any plan on fixing that?"

"I don't know.. really. I-I'm scared too. I'm not sure if we should talk about that yet. I mean, I really like being with her and I've only been with her.. like together together. But I don't want to pressure her. And besides, she's going back to California a week from now, we're not even sure if we'll be able to work things out."

Sunny looked at Taeyeon incredulously, hands clamped together so she wouldn't smack the older girl on the forehead. "I can't believe how you just implied that Jessica is the one for you and speak like you're going to break up once she gets back to California afterwards."

Taeyeon sheepishly smiled, "Because I'm not really sure if she'd still want to be with me by the time she gets back to California. You're a photographer, you should know how a model's life is. They get to be invited in parties where the finest of the finest bachelors go to. And what if some hotshot sweeps her off her feet?"

Sunny frowned, not liking how Taeyeon talks about Jessica.

"I'm not really that close to Sica and I may not know her the way Sooyoung or Yoona or you know her but.." she sighed, seemingly forgetting about Hyomin for the moment. "..Taeng, I don't think Sica's that kind of person. And I think she really loves you. Even after all the years. The girl's just as helplessly in love as you."

"Why are you doubting her, anyway?" Sunny added.

Taeyeon shifted uneasily on her chair, "I-I'm not doubting her. I'm doubting myself."

"Why?"

"Because.."

Sunny stood up from her seat, patting Taeyeon's thigh in the process. "You guys are going to be alright. Just compromise and make sure you have a mutual understanding before she gets back to California. It shouldn't be that hard. We have video calls, emails, text messages and so much more to cut the miles."

Taeyeon chuckled, following Sunny to the door. "You came here to talk about your problem and here you are, worrying for me. How did I ever deserve an amazing friend like you?"

Sunny rolled her eyes before hugging Taeyeon goodbye.

**

"Hi, did you wait long? Sorry." Jessica said as she and Tiffany came closer to the black Honda City waiting at the parking area of the restaurant they just ate at.

"No, don't worry." Taeyeon moved to place a peck on her girlfriend's lips before her eyes moved to Jessica's companion. "Hi, Tiffany." She said, smiling at her soon-to-be-sister-in-law.

"Hi, Tae." Tiffany waved before getting inside the backseat of Taeyeon's car.

"So, are you going home with me?" Jessica asked, eyes expectant as she looked Taeyeon straight in the eyes.

Taeyeon's hand unconsciously glided from Jessica's arm to her hand, interlacing their fingers. "Hm," she hummed when she felt Jessica's warm palm against hers, lips adorned by a smile.

Jessica looked down at their intertwined hands, admiring how Taeyeon's hand perfectly fits with hers. Her girlfriend had been so touchy the past days and she was getting used to it. And she likes it. She likes it so much.

"Mom and dad called," Jessica said as they stood a few feet away from Taeyeon's car.

"What did they say?"

"They were just asking about me and Hyunnie.. and you."

"Me?" Taeyeon arched a brow, "What about me?"

Jessica shifted her gaze elsewhere then, "N-nothing."

"Are you sure?" Taeyeon saw the hesitation in Jessica's eyes before it was masked by a fake smile.

"Yes, Taengoo. It was really nothing."

Taeyeon hummed, choosing not to ask any more questions. "Let's go, then. I think Tiffany's getting bored." She said, pointing a thumb at her car.

Jessica giggled before pulling Taeyeon towards her car, "She's giving me the look again."

"Is she going home with us too?"

Jessica nodded, "She's sleeping in my parents' room, don't worry."

Taeyeon's ears instantly went hot and a sloppy kiss landed on her right cheek before Jessica's cute giggles filled her ear.

**

"Taengoo!" Seohyun cheerfully exclaimed as soon as the front door opened, revealing her Mommy Jess, Mommy Tiff and the person she missed so much; Taengoo. Letting go of her Mommy Hyo's hand, she immediately run towards the pale woman, arms stretched above her head before she was lifted off the ground by comfortable arms.

"I missed you," Taeyeon cooed as she peppered kisses all over her daughter's face.

"Hyunnie misses you too!"

"Hey, no hug for Mommy?" Taeyeon and Seohyun turned to a pouting Jessica. Taeyeon tried hard to suppress her laughter at how cute her girlfriend looked while Seohyun guiltily bit on her lower lip.

"S-sorry, Mommy. Hyunnie not see you." Seohyun said, head hung low as if she had committed something so unforgivable.

Jessica giggled before taking Seohyun from Taeyeon's arms, "It's okay sweetie. Have you eaten yet?"

Seohyun nodded her head rapidly before placing a smack on her mother's cheek. "Mommy Hyo cook for us."

Jessica nods her head before turning to the other blonde, "Thanks, Hyo. I hope she didn't give you a hard time."

Hyoyeon laughed before waving Jessica off, "You know she's a polite kid. She'll never trouble anyone."

"Yeah, anyone but Taeyeon. She asks her to read stories for hours." Jessica said, putting Seohyun down so she could go wash up with her Mommy Tiff.

"You know I'd do that even if she doesn't ask." An arm s its way to Jessica's waist as Taeyeon's voice came from her right side.

Hyoyeon rolled her eyes, "I shall go now. Sooyoung's been texting me for the past fifteen minutes. She wanted to try this newly opened restaurant and whatnot." She said, waving her phone in front of them.

Jessica moved to hug Hyoyeon. "Bye Hyo," she said when they let go.

Hyoyeon smiled once again before moving to the door, opening it when Taeyeon's voice stopped her midway. "Thank you, Hyo."

Hyoyeon nodded with the smile still on her face, not bothering to turn around and face Taeyeon.

Taeyeon then engulfs Jessica in a tight back hug as soon as the door closed, putting her chin on the little dip in Jessica's shoulder.

"Taengoo? What's wrong?"

Taeyeon took note of the worried voice and she rapidly shook her head, hoping to assure Jessica that there was really nothing wrong. In fact, everything feels right; being in the same place with Jessica  and Jessica being wrapped securely in her arms. Maybe Sunny was right; all that's left is marriage.

"Are you sure?" Jessica asked once again, this time turning to face Taeyeon and cupping her girlfriend's cheeks.

Taeyeon nods, putting her hands on top of Jessica's. "I love you."

"I love you too." Jessica's lips formed into a smile before Taeyeon leans in, kissing Jessica's worries away.

**

"Aren't you sleeping yet?" Taeyeon voiced out, startling the hunched figure on the dining table. A chuckle left her lips as Tiffany glares at her.

"You almost gave me a heart attack!"

Taeyeon waved her off as she made her way to the kitchen counter, preparing a cup and a stirrer before pulling out the coffee powder and creamer from the cupboards.

"Why aren't you sleeping yet?" Tiffany asked as she turned her attention back to the papers in front of her.

Taeyeon shrugged before taking a seat from across Tiffany. "I can't sleep."

"And coffee won't help either." Tiffany commented, eyes still glued to the papers.

"What are those?"

Taeyeon's question finally gained Tiffany's attention as the raven-haired girl looked up from her papers, lips already formed into a smile as her eyes disappeared into crescents. She definitely is Jiwon's type.

"I'm finalizing the invitations for the wedding and some stuff that needs to be fixed."

Taeyeon nodded, "Alone? Why wouldn't Jiwon help? It looks stressful."

Tiffany chuckled at the mention of  her fiancé, "You know how your brother is. He doesn't want to stress himself."

Taeyeon frowned, "And he let you stress yourself instead?"

Tiffany shook her head twice, "I personally wanted to do this. He told me to let the coordinators do it but I wanted to personally prepare for my wedding."

"Why would you do that?"

"Because it's my wedding and it's a once in a lifetime event?" Tiffany said with a pout, a little upset that Taeyeon had said the same exact things Jiwon had.

"Oh, right."

Silence fell upon them as Tiffany continued scribbling on her papers while Taeyeon sipped from her coffee cup.

"Hey, Tiffany?"

Tiffany hummed to let Taeyeon know that she was listening even without looking up.

"I was just wondering," Taeyeon straightened up on her seat, fingers interlaced under her chin. "..if Jessica ever talked to you about wanting to.. you know.. get married?"

Tiffany's head moved up by then, eyes connecting with Taeyeon's as she tries to read her soon-to-be-sister-in-law. "Actually.." She looked around, making sure nobody was there, "Yuri asked her about your wedding earlier and Jessi said she's scared."

Taeyeon nodded; of course Jessica was scared. She made her feel that way. Sadness then engulfed her at the thought of the past.

"Sorry, Taetae." Tiffany added and Taeyeon tried to smile at her as she rose up from her seat, bringing her cup to the sink.

"I'll go ahead and sleep. Don't sleep too late, too. Jiwon would freak out if he sees dark circles under your eyes." Taeyeon patted Tiffany's shoulder as she passed by the younger girl.

She was about to exit the kitchen when Tiffany called out for her, making her turn to face the girl once again.

"Jessi really loves you. Maybe she just needs time.. and reassurance.. that you'll never part again. That she'll always have you."

Taeyeon smiled, "I understand."

**

Jessica opened her eyes when she felt the space beside her dip and an arm held her tightly by the waist, face nuzzling the back of her head.

"Taengoo?"

"Hm? Sorry, did I wake you up?"

Jessica nodded, turning to face her girlfriend. "It's okay. Where have you been?"

"Downstairs. Coffee."

"Hmkay." Jessica said before closing her eyes again, face snuggled close to Taeyeon's neck.

"Sooyeon?"

Jessica hummed, letting Taeyeon know she was still awake and is listening.

"You know I'll never leave you again, right? That I'll always be here, waiting for you."

Jessica nods her head before placing a peck on the dip in-between Taeyeon's collarbones.

"Sooyeon.. let's make this work, alright? I don't want to lose you again. I'd die if that ever happens."

Jessica nodded before letting out in a groggy voice, "We'll make it work, Taengoo. I promise. I don't want to lose you either."

Taeyeon smiled before placing a lingering kiss on Jessica's forehead, "I love you, Sooyeon."

"I love you too, Taengoo."