Appa

Kiss Me

Taeyeon tossed and her bed, bringing her phone to her face every once in a while. No messages. No calls. No voice mails. She frowned, missing the now blonde Jessica Jung. Graduation day came and went fast, as if everything happened in a split of a second and High School was over. The following weeks were spent filling up University applications, and the weeks after that was torture with Jessica applying for summer jobs, gradually decreasing the time spent with Taeyeon. Krystal will be in High School in more or less two months and so Jessica needed the summer job to at least help her parents with the expenses. As much as Taeyeon want to spend her whole summer cuddling with Jessica, she knew she should let Jessica do what she thinks is best for her family.

She groaned as boredom consumed her. Two months, two more months and she’ll be moving in with Jessica and Sunny in the apartment they found near Jessica’s University. She and Sunny will be attending Dongguk University while Jessica enrolled in a public college, the University of Seoul. She will be taking up Business Administration, a course that had been decided for her ever since she was born, just like her brother. Jessica will be taking up Humanities, majoring in English Language and Literature. Sunny, on the other hand, will be taking up Photography, making Taeyeon envy the aegyo queen. It was a course she wanted ever since, but can’t bring herself to disobey her Appa’s orders.

Her right hand raked her now black hair in frustration while her left hand held her smartphone, eyes staring at the small screen. Still no messages. She sighed dejectedly before tossing her phone aside, deciding to just look for something on the television and wait until Jessica’s shift in the coffee house is over.

She was scanning through channels when her sight caught the face of a familiar man. Turning the volume up, she stared at the man that was being interviewed. His face looked tired, the rings under his eyes a little visible, hair graying, smile not reaching his eyes anymore. She stared as her father talked to the reporters, answering their questions. She didn’t understand a word he was saying because she was too focused on the man that had once been her playmate. His hearty laughter filling the house, his big and calloused hands always wiping her tears away when Jiwon would bully her. That was then, though. Everything changed when he became the business world’s Mr. Kim. He tried to balance his time with his business and their family, but his efforts weren’t enough. Too busy to play with you. That was what he always tells her when she wanted some father-daughter bonding. And then he stopped trying, Jiwon stopped bullying her, the house becoming more and more quiet each day. Taeyeon then became lonely and her books had been her only companion until Sunny and Yuri came. Then there was Jessica Jung, coloring Taeyeon’s world with her bright smiles. Okay, that was cheesy, but true.

Jessica. She frowned. Her father doesn’t know about Jessica yet. What would he say? She had known her father to be a conservative man. Old-fashioned. Her eyes refocused on the man that was still being interviewed. Something about a partnership with Mr. so-and-so’s company, big shot, thousands of millions of dollars. A merger in six years time. Tying bonds and whatnot. Her father looked older, thinner, in her eyes. Eyes, his eyes, there is something there. Pain? Fatigue? Hurt. Physical? She gasped as her father yelped inaudibly for a second before regaining his composure. Was he hurt? Is he sick? She seemed to be the only one to notice as the reporters continued bombarding him with questions. Concern kicked in as her father’s interview was cut short, excusing himself for a meeting. Taeyeon looked over her desk calendar, brows furrowing at the date. No meetings on Tuesdays. He’s definitely lying. Her lips formed to a frown. Why did he have to lie?

She was so lost in her thoughts that she haven’t noticed her phone ringing. She looked over it and four missed calls were displayed on the small screen. Biting her lips, she unlocked the smartphone and returned the call.

“Taengoo! Are you okay?” Jessica’s panicky voice came after two rings. Taeyeon smiled.

“Hi. Sorry I wasn’t able to answer your calls, I was watching TV.”

“Oh, I thought something happened because you weren’t answering.”

“No, I’m fine. I’m at home. Bored.”

“I know, I’m sorry I can’t be there.” Jessica said apologetically.

“Are you done for today? Want to have early dinner together?”

“Okay. Will you pick me up?”

“Of course, Princess.” Taeyeon said before they bid each other goodbye.

**

Jessica and Taeyeon sat across each other as they waited for their food. Jessica furrowed her brows, trying to think of something that might have caused her girlfriend’s sad mood. For the first time in months, they were engulfed in an uncomfortable silence. Not being able to contain her curiosity, Jessica voiced her inquiries.

“Baby, what’s wrong?”

Taeyeon seemed to be taken aback by the question as she blinked at Jessica for a moment.

“No-nothing. Nothing’s wrong, Sooyeon.” She said, trying to smile at her girlfriend but no dimple showed.

“Taengoo. No secrets, remember?” Jessica said, eyeing Taeyeon’s hands that were interlaced on top of the table.

Taeyeon sighed before taking Jessica’s hands in her, squeezing it lightly.

“I think my father is sick,” she said in a low and sad voice.

“Are you sure? How did you know?” Jessica’s voice was full with concern. She felt sad for the man that she haven’t met yet, and concern for her girlfriend.

“I.. I’m not sure.. yet. But I know, I saw the changes.”

“Did you ask him yet?”

Taeyeon shook her head no.

“Do you think it’s serious?”

Taeyeon nodded her head.

“Does your mother know?”

“I’m.. not sure. I think he’s hiding it.”

“Will you ask him?”

Taeyeon looked at Jessica for a moment before shaking her head.

“He wouldn’t talk to me unless it’s about business,” she added and squeezed Jessica’s hand tighter.

“Everything is going to be okay, Taengoo. He’s going to be okay.” Jessica smiled at Taeyeon, hoping to chase her girlfriend’s worries away.

The conversation was dropped as soon as their food arrived. They talked about Jessica’s family instead. Her father being promoted and how Krystal is overly excited for High School. Taeyeon forgot her worries momentarily.

After their early dinner, Jessica dragged the sulking girl out of the diner and into the streets of Downtown Seoul.

“Where are we going?” Taeyeon asked when she noticed that they were going into the opposite direction where her car was parked.

“I’m treating you for something sweet.” Jessica smiled and linked an arm with Taeyeon’s.

“You mean your lips? Here? Publicly?” Taeyeon grinned and Jessica smacked her arm playfully.

“I was talking about ice cream, Kim Taeyeon!” Jessica said and pulled the shorter girl into an ice cream van.

Jessica ordered two chocolate sundaes before she dragged Taeyeon again to a nearby park. They sat side by side on a bench facing the swing where three children played.

“Do you feel better now?” Jessica asked, scooping from her sundae.

Taeyeon nodded and from her sundae like a kid.

Jessica giggled at the cute sight before taking a handkerchief out from her purse.

“Gosh, you eat like a kid,” she said and wiped Taeyeon’s chin.

“This is gooooood.” Taeyeon said with a grin like she was a three year old kid being treated with ice cream for the first time.

Jessica burst out laughing.

“Seriously?” Jessica asked incredulously.

“Thank you.” Taeyeon then said seriously and smiled at Jessica.

“You are welcome, Taengoo.” Jessica answered and leaned her head against Taeyeon’s shoulder as she watched the children run about the park.

“Do you think we’ll be good parents someday?” Taeyeon asked after a moment of silence.

Jessica straightened up on her seat and looked at Taeyeon with wide eyes.

“You mean, us? Like us us? Or us with husbands?”

Taeyeon chuckled before answering, “I mean, us us. Like you and me and a child? Someday?”

“B-but.. isn’t it too early to think about that?” Jessica’s mind went haywire at the thought of having a family with Taeyeon.

Taeyeon shrugged and said, “I was just thinking though. It would be nice to have a family with you.” She then smiled and interlaced their fingers.

“But that would mean finding a donor and saving up a lot of money and whatnot.” Jessica said matter-of-factly as her eyes landed on their intertwined fingers that were placed in Taeyeon’s lap.

“I know. That’s why we should start saving up.” A grin was then plastered in Taeyeon’s face.

“Oh Taengoo~”

Jessica’s head returned to its previous spot in Taeyeon’s shoulder and a comfortable silence engulfed them, forgetting about Taeyeon’s troubles for the mean time. Her mind time traveled to the future as she pictured herself in a home with Taeyeon playing with their son or daughter. They would be good parents, showering him or her with so much love. She would be teaching in a college nearby and Taeyeon would work in her office. They would eat dinner together everyday. They would grow old together. She smiled at the thought. Oh how perfect it would be to grow old with Taeyeon by her side. She would help Taeyeon walk when the latter’s joints are failing her, and Taeyeon would do the same to her. She’ll learn how to cook and cook Taeyeon’s favorite dishes everyday. She mentally took note to enroll in cooking lessons if she has the time.

She looked up to Taeyeon momentarily. The girl looked like a lost child. A very cute lost child. She’s one lucky girl to have Taeyeon in her life because besides the flawless features, the girl owns a big heart and a brain that she appreciates the most. Jessica smiled and placed a peck on Taeyeon’s cheek. The girl looked at her questioningly but Jessica just looked ahead of them, feigning innocence.

“We’re going to be housemates in two months time. Wow.” Jessica said.

Taeyeon nodded with a smile.

“Are you happy?” Jessica asked and looked at Taeyeon.

“I’m always happy when I’m with you.” Taeyeon answered.

“I hope you won’t get tired of me when we’re already living together.”

“I’ll never get tired of my Sooyeon.” Taeyeon said, kissing Jessica’s forehead.

**

After dropping Jessica off, Taeyeon came home to a quiet house yet again. She looked at her wrist watch, the watch’s short hand pointed at the eighth line from the center and its long hand pointed at the second line while its thin hand continued its round without stopping. 8:10 in the evening. She was about to climb the stairs when she noticed a figured hunched in the living room, hands leaned on the knees and faint grunts emitted from the person’s mouth.

“Appa?” She asked loudly but the man didn’t turn to face her. She decided to come to him instead.

“Appa what’s wrong?” She asked again as she supported her father, bringing him to sit on the sofa.

“No-nothing, Taeyeon. I’m just.. just tired.” The man answered, still grunting.

“You’re not okay. Let me bring you to the hospital.”

“No.. no, I’ll just sleep through this. It will be gone by tomorrow.” Her father said stubbornly.

“Appa, just let me bring you to the hospital.” She insisted.

“No, Taeyeon. Just bring me to my room instead.”

Taeyeon hesitated but obliged when the man refused her offer to bring him to the hospital. She let her father lean on her for support as they climbed the stairs and Taeyeon noticed that her father lost a lot of weight.

“Appa, can I ask you something?” She said as they walked the hallway to their rooms. The man hummed and nodded.

“Are you..” Taeyeon started as Jessica’s reminder lingered in her mind. Her girlfriend had reminded her to ask her father first before drawing her own conclusions.

“Are you sick?” She finally voiced out.

The man kept mum as they stood outside the master’s bedroom. He straightened up, his hand on the doorknob, ready to open the door.

He didn’t answer her question, instead he smiled and said, “Are you free on Sunday? Let’s go fishing. Remember how we used to do that when you and Jiwon were younger? Bring your friends along.”

Taeyeon blinked. Her father was smiling at her. Not just a smile, but that smile. The smile she had been so used to when she was younger. Warm, welcoming, comforting and sincere. The lines beside his eyes showing and all. He glows when he smiles sincerely. The smile was inviting and Taeyeon found herself mirroring her father’s smile.

“Good night, Taengoo-ah.” He called out sweetly, the old nickname that he had given her when she was a baby rolling out of his tongue easily. He walked closer to her, hugged her tight and kissed the top of her head. Just like the old times.

“Good night, Appa.” Taeyeon said, her smile not fading.

Her father opened the door to their room and Taeyeon started walking away.

“Ah, Taeyeon?” He said, making Taeyeon stop in her tracks.

“I love you,” he added, bringing back so many happy memories from Taeyeon’s childhood.

 

 

 

-----

Apologies for the very short update. Just something to make you look forward for the next chapter :)