Problem Solving

It's you, Lee Donghae

Jessica’s POV

I felt like I was staring at my maths book, we had a list of problems that we had no idea how to solve.

On the paper inside my hotel room, I sat beside Donghae at the desk without taking my eyes off the paper.

‘1. Engagements
2. Family
3. Hyunjoong’

I frowned, three problems that had no answer to. I rested my chin on the palm of my hand and stared at the clock beside me. It was already 4am. After I pestered Donghae for what seemed like a very long time, he agreed to keeping this relationship quiet but he didn’t exactly promise he would do what I wanted because he was a guy. That only meant one thing.

“We can think about the other two later on, let’s deal with Hyunjoong first.” I suggested.

“Actually, Jessica – can you answer me some questions?”

I diverted my attention to him and sat upright while playing with my fingers. “Okay…”

“Who is Yunho? Why were you with my brother on that day? Why did you look for me when you first came?”

Repeating the questions in my mind, I decided to truthfully answer him. I didn’t want to lie anymore. It was a brand new start, and it was going to begin great. Hopefully…

“Yunho is my brother, he passed away just over 10 years ago.”

“Ohhh… so why did you ask if I knew him or not?”

“I was looking for you because Tiffany – the one who has just replaced you for the time being – was my best friend when I was in America and her boyfriend told me that this guy called Lee Donghae knew how he died and was likely that he was part of the murder of my brother, considering that the police failed to find the murderer.”

“SAY WHAT?!”

“Shut up and let me speak, don’t interrupt.” I continued, “Your brother called me out some time before the day of the accident to meet up and… yeah… you know how it ended.”

Donghae stood up with a childish grin on his face. “Thank you for answering the questions that pestered me for so long.”

But the smiled disappeared quickly, “Now, explain about you and Hyunjoong.”

I groaned. I might as well , hehe.

I stood up and walked closer to him. “Why, you jealous?”

“That’s an understatement.”

I have no idea what got into my but that comment made me get slightly warmer in the face. I was blushing, wasn’t I?

“Uhh… uhmm… You need to go back to your room, and go sort out Hyunjoong – he’s still… uhmm… on the floor… from being kicked by you.” I managed to get the words out of my mouth as I pushed him out the room with my head facing down so he couldn’t see my face.

“Sleep early!” I yelled before slamming the door

---

The next morning, or rather, afternoon was filled with everyone yawning with their eyes half closed except for me and Changmin.

I kept on nudging Donghae and finally gave in and elbowed him which got him awake. Hyunjoong and Heechul, in front of us had dozed off.

“Let’s leave them and go do our own thing and do this tomorrow, shall we?” Changmin said.

“You just want to go out in the sun instead of explaining the contract, isn’t it?”

“You know me too well, come on! Let’s go on a date you two~”

“Date?” Donghae stood up and looked around, then found me and Changmin still sat down. He immediately sat down and rubbed his nape. I couldn’t help but grin. He didn’t seriously think that it was a date that I suggested, right? I don’t sound like Changmin…

“Yes date, a date with all three of us.” Changmin explainded.

“DATE?! I’M COMING!” Heechul shot up with his finger in the air but fell flat down again. “I’m not coming…” he snoozed off with his head on Hyunjoong’s shoulder.

“I’m coming…” Hyunjoong sleepily said, trying to sit up straight as he rubbed his eyes. Changmin raised his eyebrows as we watched Donghae glare at him.

“Say, Hyunjoong – didn’t you say your chest hurt or something? You said you had a bruise there…” Changmin suspiciously said.

I tried to hold in my laughter, is that exactly what Donghae’s kick caused?

---

We’d spent the outing shopping, eating and being typical tourists. Well, I and Changmin did. Donghae and Hyunjoong, not so much. They argued over everything, they both clung onto either side of me and Heechul tagged along, clinging to Changmin. Although, in the end we went our separate ways for the last two hours before we decided to meet up in the hotel to actually begin to talk about the contract.

I went off with Heechul to go and do some night shopping and walked along the beach at the end together. He seriously did not stop talking about Changmin, how frustrating. I think he really does like him or something. Donghae, Changmin and Hyunjoong went out somewhere that I haven’t asked about yet but they came back empty handed.

Somebody knocked on the door and I walked over to open it. Hyunjoong was standing there.

“Jessica, can we talk?”

I nodded and gestured for him to come inside.

We both took a chair from the desk and sat down. There was awkwardness in the air from last night for me, but I don’t think he remembers. At least I hope he doesn’t.

“I want to apologise for anything I might have caused last night…” He continued, “Also, I want to ask if you remember me?” He got quiet at the end.

I nodded with a nervous smile. How else was I suppose to react? Apologise on my knees and beg for his forgiveness because I rejected him?

“Uhmm, I was with Donghae earlier on and he literally told me everything that happened, and I won’t cause any problems to you two and your relationship.” I got up and put away the chair, “Anyway, let’s head out – we have a contract to talk about.”

I gritted my teeth. Lee Donghae! Whatever happened to keeping the relationship quiet?!

-

“Okay, so seriously – we can’t be bothered to listen to you tell us about the contract when we’ve read about it already. So pass it over here, please.” Heechul said, slightly annoyed at Changmin ignoring his presence.

Annoyed, Changmin just pushed the folder over and Hyunjoong pulled out a pen, signing on the sheet. He then took out an envelope.

“Your flight back to Seoul, plane flies tomorrow afternoon at 12pm. You should know what time you’ll get back.”

I grunted. Returning to Seoul meant solving problems. It seemed like problems to be solved in Bali were so easy, and yet those in Seoul seemed impossible. Not to mention the wedding was in exactly 10 days time. Also, arriving at 12am was not ideal.

---

Next day in Seoul

Siwon’s POV

I quickly sent my email to Taeyeon before I went to open the door. Who would come at 3am in the morning? I mean, I had to finish up some documents and quickly mail Taeyeon but that’s on the laptop, who would actually come to my house at this time of the day?

I opened the door and it was Jessica.

-

Jessica nervously sat on the couch and I sat opposite her. She definitely had something to say to me but I wasn’t prepared to hear it. I didn’t want to hear it.

Jessica raised her head to face me but she couldn’t look me in the eye. It would be impossible for her to start off the conversation.

“What’s wrong? Why are you back so early?”

She seemed shocked at my question and almost immediately put her head down.

“I… uhh… Siwon, I’m really sorry. I’m so sorry. I… just… I’m sorry.” She continuously apologised to me till I told her to stop.

“Why are you apologising?”

“I want… us to end it here.”

I wasn’t surprised to hear that. It would have come sooner or later, I just really didn’t want to hear it.

“I got back... with…” I cut her off and finished her sentence for her, “Donghae?”

She looked at me with wide eyes. “I knew it.” I forced a bitter smile. I prepared myself for the one day that this would happen but I didn’t expect to hurt so much.

“You don’t need to worry about me, I’ve cancelled our wedding.”

The guilt of hiding Donghae from her for all these years never escaped me, the guilt of having to protect Taeyeon from her lies and making Jessica go through so much sadness… I can’t hold onto it no more. I’ve had my happiness, I’ve had her for 7 years. These years are my happiest days and I treasure every memory I shared with her. It’s about time I gave the time Donghae deserved.

So I may sound stupid, but love makes you stupid. It surely made me stupid enough. It surely made all of us stupid enough. It was time to put an end to suffering, those who love each other should just be together. Taeyeon… is in my hands now. It’s too cruel to let her be, all alone by herself.

“Siwon…” Jessica tried to speak, she looked confused.

“Go be with Donghae. I’m fine with seeing you happy.”

I could have said that years ago… but now? I can’t totally be happy knowing that smile of hers wasn’t her brightest. It seemed like she was going to come to me, and if I waited a little longer she would be mine, but it didn’t happen. These past few months have been crazy. It hit me as soon as I fully realised that I couldn’t get her memories back after being with her for 7 years, and her seeing Donghae again brought back everything. 

“Siwon…”

“Look, you say my name once more and I won’t let you go, ever.”

---

Taeyeon’s POV

I was walking down the stairs struggling to carry my suitcase. I give up. I kicked the suitcase down the stairs and went after it. Once I was at the bottom of the step, I picked up my suitcase but I saw a pair of shoes. I looked up and it was Donghae.

What was he doing back so early?

“Taeyeon, why have you got your suitcase out?” Donghae asked me.

I gulped as I recalled what Siwon told me to say and do. Taking in a deep breath, I my dry lips and looked Donghae in the eye.

“I’m leaving…”

“A business trip?”

“No, I mean I’m leaving Seoul, for good. I’m not coming back.” I watched his eyebrows furrow.

“What? Why?”

“Donghae, I’m tired.” I sighed, I didn’t want to do this but it scared me… what was I to do if Siwon told him the truth? If he threatened me that I’d tell him the truth, why did he promise me he’d take care of me even though I rejected his offer so much times for the past 2 days?

“You can go be with Jessica, I don’t care anymore. I feel suffocated being here, I feel used. I’ve cancelled the wedding and explained to the family members and your mum.”

He stayed quiet. “Please don’t leave…”

They were the last words I expected him to say, I was scared that if he said it I’d fall back to stage one and not leave. Yet, I had no choice.

“Donghae, have you ever felt genuine towards me even for a second?”

He didn’t answer. I forced a smile and tried to hold in the tears that would fall. “Bye…”

---

Tomorrow is the FINAL CHAPTER! Oh my gosh, how frightening! It's actually a shorter chapter in comparison to before, but I just wanted to keep it short and sweet. It can come across as rushed but please forgive me?]

I will post that chapter tomorrow, and the new fanfic will be posted the day after (aka Saturday)!

Please comment~ You might motivate me to add some more to the last chapter, it's not entirely a HaeSica chapter though.

FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS RIGHT NOW ABOUT THE STORY THAT I NEVER ANSWERED IN THE STORY OR IN REPLIES