Unavoidable Jessica

It's you, Lee Donghae

 

Jessica’s POV

 

I left Siwon and Hana in COEX as I left for my first day of work. Thankfully it started in the afternoon today so I was able to spend some quality time with them before I got busy.

 

I walked out the centre and while clutching onto my bag, I looked up at the 30 storey building in front of me. Well, Jessica this is another start in life! I can do this! I just hope ‘my boss’ isn’t too tough on me or too picky with his coffee.

 

-

 

I got to the 22nd floor and looked around. It was empty, well – I suppose they were really busy in this department because the papers were all stacked up and folders were all over desks.

 

I took a seat on the sofa. I went through my bag and took out the huge envelope. Taking out a sheet I could sense someone coming. Even so, I didn’t bother.

 

I pulled out the sheet and looked at the picture and name

 

‘Lee Donghae’, so that’s my boss’ name. I smiled to myself and looked at the picture.

 

My head started to hurt as some images flashed by in my head. I couldn’t hear properly or see clearly what it was when the person came up to me.

 

I clutched my head and looked up at him. I looked back down at the sheet of paper. It was my boss. I forced a smile and got up.

 

“Hello, I’m the new PA – Jessica Jung.” I said but his expression was stiff, it was as if he was shocked at seeing me. He took wobbly steps back and I moved forward to help him up straight.

 

“I’m looking for Lee Donghae, you are him or would he miraculously have a twin who works here?” I asked with a smile. I was joking, but I could be right!

 

After I said that, I had the image of a car driving extremely fast on a quiet road flash by in my head. I shook my head and clenched my eyes.

 

Were these my previous memories coming to me?

 

-

 

Donghae’s POV

 

Was she joking when she asked that? It’s definitely Jessica, I could never forget her features… they were simply more defined now. She was much prettier now that she had grown up. Neither would I forget her voice. She was shaking her head; she looked as if she was in pain. I felt nauseous when she asked for Lee Donghae. It reminded me when she was first looking for me on our first day back at school.

 

“Come to my office,” I said while grabbing her strongly on her arm.

 

I sat her on the visitor’s sofa opposite my desk.

 

“Are you playing a joke on me?” I asked as she seemed to have calmed down from whatever pain she had in her head.

 

“Am I playing a joke? What do you mean?” She asked, while looking up at me. She looked confused.

 

“Don’t you remember me?”

 

She smiled ear to ear, “Am I supposed to? Did you perhaps know me a few years ago or something because when I saw you I had some faint and nonsensical memories come to me!” She got up and came closer to me, but I backed off a bit. She noticed and stopped.

 

She wasn’t the Jessica I knew from 7 years ago, she’s different. There was a different vibe coming off her, but I knew it was definitely her.

 

“What do you mean by memories and me knowing me a few years ago?” I asked. What happened?

 

“Oh, I lost my memory in early 2004 and I haven’t been able to recall anything but when I saw your name, your picture, and then you – I had images of a car driving very fast, and then I saw this bus stop!”

 

She lost her memory; it means she’s forgotten me and everything else. I felt my heart shattering, why am I feeling like this? I’m supposed to hate her. I do hate her. I do, right? Or is she breaking down the hate I had for her with one meeting.

 

“So you don’t remember anything pre-2004?” I asked, I needed to be sure. “No lying, please.”

 

“Nope, I don’t remember anything.” Then flashed me a smile and continued, “So do you know me or not?”

 

“Oh, no – you just look familiar…” I said. I couldn’t bring it out. It was her fate she was to forget it.

 

I could hear the rest returning from lunch break, “You get yourself settled outside my office at the desk in front.” I turned cold on her. It was for the best.

 

-

 

Jessica’s POV

 

All the colleagues coming back swarmed over me.

 

“You’re the new PA!” “She’s pretty!” “She looks foreign, can she understand us?” “Ay, I pity her.”

 

The last comment caught my attention. “Pardon?” I looked up at the guy who said it. “Why do you pity me?” I asked, I was really curious.

 

“Oh, well you’re under Donghae. Now, he’s a cold bas…tard.” He said but he looked behind me when saying the last word.

 

I looked back and saw Donghae there.

 

“Uhm… He’s alright.” I said, stuttering and ignoring his glares. They all ran back to their seats and put their heads to work while I looked back at Donghae.

 

“Sorry…” I apologised.

 

Images flashed of me and someone near a window. It was a guy. The images weren’t clear enough. I shook my head. My head really hurts.

 

“Are you alright? You keep shaking your head…” He said.

 

“I’m fine,” I said even though I had a horrible headache.

 

“Well, sort out these folders for me – you can ask Yoona for help, Yoona is the one with medium length hair with fair skin with glasses on.” He said before putting down some black folders on my desk and going back to his room. He turned back to me, “If I need you – I’ll call for you.”

 

I nodded before he went back in.

 

-

 

It was getting late and dark outside, I pulled out my phone to call Siwon.

 

“Hello, Siwon?”

 

“Hey, what time are you going to be back?” He asked, slightly concerned.

 

“I don’t know, I can’t leave until my boss leaves.”

 

“Well hurry him up then!” He shouted through the phone.

 

“I can’t do that and anyway I can get home safely on my own – don’t wait for me and go to sleep. It’s late.” I hung up quickly before he could complain anymore. He’s always so protective but that’s what makes me love him more.

 

I didn’t even know my way around Seoul, nor do I know my way home… but hey, I always have the internet to help me.

 

-

 

Donghae’s POV

 

“How are you getting home?” I asked Jessica. I could feel my heart beating extremely fast.

 

“I don’t know, I don’t know my way home.”

 

“How can you not know your way home?” I scoffed before finding a random nearby chair to sit on.

 

“I just got to Seoul yesterday morning, I haven’t been here since I lost my memory.” She put her head down. “You know, you give me a warm feeling.”

 

A sudden bolt of joy hit me, why was I happy? My heart kept beating faster and harder.

 

Calm down, Donghae. You hate her. That’s right, you hate her. You have Taeyeon already. Yeah, Taeyeon. Think of Taeyeon.

 

“Why?” I asked.

 

“I don’t know, but ever since I’ve seen you – I keep getting these flashing images in my head. I got one earlier when I apologised to you of me and a guy at a window, in a place that I couldn’t recognise.”

 

I nodded.

 

Was she regaining her memory because of me? She definitely was.

 

“So, how was your life before you lost your memory?”

 

“My boyfriend said that I had another boyfriend that I loved – a lot - before the hit-and-run accident in 2003.” She forced a smile.

 

“What was he like?” I asked, of course I knew the answer – hello, it was me!

 

“I don’t know who he is, I don’t remember his name or how he looks but my boyfriend said we loved each other.” She laughed, bitterly though.

 

Why was she laughing?

 

“Why are you laughing?”

 

“I was just thinking, when I was in the accident – if he did love me… then wouldn’t he have come to find me no matter what it took? I know Siwon would do that.”

 

My blood was boiling when she said I should have gone to look for her, and it got worse when she mentioned Siwon.

 

“Siwon?”

 

“My boyfriend, he’s called Siwon. Although we wear engagement rings, we’re not engaged just yet. It’s from the past or something.”

 

I nodded.

 

That’s only normal. At least Siwon didn’t hide the truth from her to get her to like him.

 

“What would you do if you saw that ex-boyfriend again?”

 

“I’d like to meet him if I fully gain my memories – if ever. When I do, I want to know why he wasn’t there for me. You know, I’m speaking a lot to you – you make me want to speak.” She said with a smile on her face although it didn’t look happy.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I don’t know, you feel familiar. Maybe my ex looked like you or something.” She looked down. “After the hit and run accident, I tried to commit suicide by jumping off a roof but Siwon saved me. That’s what he, the doctor and my dad said. There was footage of me about to jump; I don’t think that boyfriend was worth my love.”

 

My heart broke hearing she wanted to commit suicide after killing my brother. I couldn’t find the hate I held for her for 7 years. She said I wasn’t worth her love.

 

“Thanks for speaking with me, but I think you should get home – your girlfriend should be waiting.”

 

“You know I have a girlfriend?”

 

“I saw you and her in COEX today holding hands looking around happily when I was with my boyfriend and Hana but they didn’t see you.”

 

“Who’s Hana?”

 

“Oh, she’s my friend’s daughter. Anyway, if you’re not going to get going – I am if you don’t mind. Siwon is waiting for me at home.”

 

“How about I take you home, it’s late and dark. It’s not safe.”

 

She refused but I convinced her.

 

Donghae, what is wrong with you.

 

-

 

Siwon’s POV

 

I waited at the doorstep of our new apartment for Jessica. It was nearly 11pm and she wasn’t home yet. I looked at the bike I bought her. I sighed.

 

I would have gotten her a car but she seems to have a fear of driving them, she doesn’t like cars in general but prefers riding the bikes. However, knowing her history of not bringing the lock with her when she leaves home – she is not riding it to work. She wouldn’t call me when she wouldn’t be able to get home, like usual.

 

I stared out waiting for her, how was she getting home? Should I call her?

 

-

 

Jessica’s POV

 

“So how long have you and your boyfriend been together?” Donghae asked.

 

“It’s been about 6 years; it was love at first sight for me.” I said, smiling at the thought of Siwon. I looked at Donghae who had a bitter expression. He muttered something under his breath but I couldn’t catch it, he said it too fast.

 

“So you love him?”

 

Why was he asking me about Siwon and me? I’m pretty sure my personal life wouldn’t interfere with work, but I’ll just tell him. In case he throws a fit or something… I don’t know.

 

“Yeah, I do.” I looked at Donghae again. “Oh, I live here. You just went past it.”

 

He unexpectedly stopped quickly. We both got moved forward and back again because of it.

 

“Out, don’t be late tomorrow. 9am. It’s best if you’re early.”

 

Whoa, what a 180 degree change. I nodded, unbuckled my seat belt and got out of the car.

 

I walked back and saw Siwon sitting outside rubbing his arms. He’d been waiting for me, again – in the cold without a jacket.

 

-

 

Donghae’s POV

 

As soon as I heard her say she loved him I had to leave. I got her out the car and sped off.

 

Why was I so angry? I shouldn’t be angry; I’m not supposed to be.