Hospital & Dr. Kim

It's you, Lee Donghae

 

Jessica’s POV

 

“How is he?” I asked the maid. I couldn’t even think straight.

 

“He’s fine for now, how did you get here so fast? I thought you wouldn’t come because you didn’t care…” She said.

 

“I stole my friend’s bike and rushed here. He’s still my dad at the end of the day; I can’t ignore it when he-“I got cut off when the doctor came out.

 

I peeked through the window glass that separated us and my dad.

 

“How is he, doctor…?” I asked him while trying to get his name as well. It’s better than addressing him as doctor, doctor, doctor.

 

“Dr. Kim, and I think we should go to my office to discuss this. It’s quite complicated.” He looked at me and my maid.

 

I didn’t like what I was going to hear, nor was I prepared.

 

-

 

“Please mentally prepare yourself for this; it’s not the best thing to hear about after such an incident.” Dr. Kim said.

 

We both nodded, “We’re ready.”

 

“Okay.” He took a big sigh and pulled out some x-rays. He let out another deep sigh. All I could do was just look at him, hoping for him to tell us quickly.

 

“Mr. Jung Sang Min came for a full body check up two weeks ago and the results came out yesterday, what happened today was not a seizure – it was a heart attack. It most likely happened after he heard the news. He’s diagnosed with a brain tumour in his frontal lobe, and alcoholic cardiomyopathy.”

 

“Can you explain what that alcoholic thingy was, my dad doesn’t drink.” I said.

 

The maid coughed. I glared at her, “He drinks?”

 

“A terrible lot, he didn’t let you know though – he didn’t want you to know…”

 

“Uhm, yeah can you explain more about both of the things?” I said

 

“Alcoholic cardiomyopathy is a disease caused by long-term abuse of alcohol and will eventually lead to heart failure if he doesn’t stop. As for the brain tumour in his frontal lobe it is what it’s said to be. A tumour, it’s in the area that controls his personality, thought, memory and behaviour.” He said, and then continued. “Your father came to us telling us that he’s feeling weak on one side of his body and had difficulty walking. He also emailed me saying his vision gets blurry but he thinks it was because of his lack of sleep, then he went on to talk about his sense of smell was getting worse.” He looked at the maid who was already in tears, she left the room. Leaving me alone with him to listen to all of this.

 

“Are you alright? Should I stop?” He asked me, he had sincerity in his eyes.

 

“I’m fine, please continue.”

 

“Well, the tumour has many symptoms, he will experience changes in personality, behaving in ways he wouldn’t usually b, lose interest in live, have difficulty organising or planning, become aggressive, get weak in a part of the face or one side of his body, have difficulty walking, a loss of sense in smell and have problems with his sight or speech. You father has most of these symptoms, including all the serious ones.”

 

He continued his long speech that I was getting tired of listening to, “As for the alcoholic cardiomyopathy – which I’ll shorten to call heart disease has caused him to get some light swelling at his ankles and much more of the symptoms.”

 

We went on to talk about how we would help him, and if he needed an operation or not. Then went to visit him.

 

-

 

I looked at my dad, weakly sleeping. I didn’t know he was going through so much.

 

“Jessica, I want to talk to you about something.” The maid said. I really couldn’t be bothered but I’ll listen.

 

“What is it?”

 

“About the alcohol problem, I think I know why…”

 

I looked up at her, “Continue.”

 

“You know how your parents are divorced…” She looked down, “It was your mum who initiated it. Yes, they divorced over the legal reason of him cheating on her but have you ever seen him with another woman even with your stay here?”

 

I looked at her. “What do you mean?”

 

“I overheard them on the phone, and your dad said something along the lines ‘I even went along with your stupid idea of me cheating on you to get the divorce when you cheated on me, and now you want custody over both our kids?’ and the argument went on for a long time.”

 

I felt my eyes get watery. She continued, “I’ve known your dad since they got married, they gradually lost the love they once had, and when you all three moved to California – leaving me and your dad here in Seoul, he constantly kept drinking to hide away from the real world if he wasn’t working. I didn’t want to tell you because I knew you loved your mum, and brother.”

 

“What’s Yunho got to do with it?”

 

“He knew all about this but he threatened me that if I told you he’d make sure I’d lose my job”

 

Teardrops were falling down my cheeks, sure my brother wasn’t the best… and the way I know him, he would say that but I don’t want to believe it. “Are you lying? Because if you are it’s not funny.”

 

She shook her head vigorously, the maid was here from the day I was born – I knew when she lied and she wasn’t. It’s not a time for my selfishness, I don’t have time to believe what I want to believe.

 

I looked at my dad; I took hold of his left hand. “I’m so sorry…”

 

 

-

 

I went toilet and returned to my dad’s room, he was sitting there – awake. I didn’t know how to react after listening to what the maid had to say. “You’re awake.” I could only say.

 

He nodded. “Did Dr. Kim say anything?”

 

“Yeah, he told me everything… and so did the maid.” I looked down, then back at him nervously. He had a shocked expression, neither of us could speak.

 

“Well, I don’t have long to live… Jessica, can’t you please just get married with Siwon? He can, and I know he can – provide what neither me or your mum could provide for you.” He violently coughed when he finished his sentence.

 

I wanted to say no, but if I do say no. He’ll get angry or something. If he has another heart attack, he could just die on the spot. My eyes were getting watery. “Alright…” But Donghae… how was I to explain this to him. I know my dad wouldn’t approve of us, pulling the usual drama lines of he’s too poor or he isn’t good enough for me.

 

He looked up at me; he smiled and took hold of my hands weakly. “Thank you…” He said.

 

I don’t know whether I was wrong or right to accept that I’ll be with Siwon. Donghae. I quickly left the room. All I could think about was Donghae, he flooded my mind. I then remembered the paper Siwon gave me today.

 

I took it out my bag, and my phone. 18 missed calls, all from Donghae with one from Kyuhyun, probably to complain about me taking Seohyun’s bike.

 

I opened the sheet of paper, in messy writing it read.

 

‘Jessica, I know exactly your reason to why you want to be with Donghae. You want to find out the reason to how your brother unknowingly died. He’s a good man, he’s a good friend – don’t hurt him. Please. You can’t give what he truly deserves but if you do decide to ignore this, at least let him know your true feelings. I haven’t known you for long, but I know you good enough to tell that you actually do love him. I told you once, I can read minds (hehehehe) but you zoned out on me.’

 

Siwon, you surprise me at times and I was listening when you said you can read minds on our first meeting, I just thought it was a joke. I know it’s a joke. You’re not funny though.

 

I picked up my phone and typed up something to Donghae.

 

‘To: Donghae

Can we go on a date tomorrow night, 6pm?’

 

In two minutes he replied.

 

‘From: Donghae

Yeah, where? Also, what happened that was such an emergency?’

 

‘To: Donghae

Just family stuff y’know, I’ll meet you outside your house. Well it won’t be a date actually; I just need to say some important stuff.’

 

I turned off my phone, I actually realised I liked him. No in fact, I think I would call that love. It merely took me three days for this to happen, it wouldn’t be hard to forget him and move on with Siwon, right? However, Donghae was not to know that I loved him.

 

For the sake of the one who suffered so much, my dad and because I was the main cause of this ending… I have to do it.

 

 

--

 

 

I woke up early in the morning in my bed. I don’t know how I ended up here… I saw the maid come in.

 

“How did I end up here?” I asked

 

“I took you home, today – you’re not going to school. Does your head not hurt? You tumbled down the stairs yesterday! Thankfully you didn’t need to stay over in the hospital so I could take you home.” She yappered on and on, I could feel my head getting heavy.

 

“I’ve call in sick for you, have a good rest again and I’ll come back with your breakfast.”

 

I looked into the mirror beside my bed, I had a bandage around my head, and I could see a faint red splodge in the top right corner. I searched for my phone and found it beside my pillow, heh. I sent a message to Donghae telling him although I was ‘ill’; I still needed to speak to him tonight. Hopefully he didn’t get his phone confiscated.

 

I lay back down in bed and waited for food.

 

 

---

 

Donghae’s POV

 

“Hey, where’s Jessiiiiiiicaaaaa?” Sunny asked while nudging me.

 

“She’s ill so therefore at home.” I said. I’m still bothered to how she got ill, what on earth happened yesterday? What happened to her family?

 

“Oh, we were hoping you didn’t know so we could tell you… how come you know?” Kyuhyun said.

 

“She texts me, ‘kay thanks but I am her boyfriend.” I said.

 

“Anyyywayyyy! The partners thing has come out, Donghae!” Seohyun said.

 

“Oh wait, before that – did Jessica return your bike?” I asked.

 

“No, but some middle-aged lady did. She said she was doing it because Jessica was injured.” Seohyun said, calmly.

 

“INJURED? WHAT?” I shouted. Attracting lots of attention. I could see Taeyeon coming over with a concerned face. “Who is injured?” She asked.

 

“Oh, Jessica.” Seohyun said, “Unnie – come sit down with us. Sunny is lonely without Hyomin.”

 

“Oh shut up. Anyway, about the partners – I don’t think Taeyeon knows either…” Sunny said, while taking out a piece of paper from her pocket. “So I’m with this guy called Sungmin from Class A, Eunhyuk is with Sooyoung from C - hahaha! Shame! Donghae, you’re with Seohyun. Taeyeon you are with Kyuhyun, poor you.”

 

Everyone on the table was laughing, but I could only think about Jessica. Whatever happened to her? Where was Siwon? Would he know?

 

“Jessica is with Kibum, another unknown guy. Me and Jessica share the same fate, but I’m unluckier – I don’t have a boyfriend and I have a horrible brother.” Sunny said, pouting. Kyuhyun flicked her forehead. Hehe. It’s entertaining seeing them bicker.

 

-

 

School went past too slow for my liking; I slowly got home and checked the time. It was now only 5:30pm. I saw Jessica standing outside my house looking in.

 

“Jessica!” I called for her, when she turned around – I had the biggest smile on my face. I don’t know how to describe the feeling of seeing her face. However, reality hit me when she came closer – with a bandage around her head.

 

I ran to her, “What happened?” I asked worriedly. I was going to touch her head but she took my hand, “It’s nothing serious, it happened at the hospital. My dad was admitted yesterday…”

 

“Is he alright?”

 

“Yeah, he is.”

 

She had an expression on her face that I couldn’t read nor understand.

 

“Donghae, I need to tell you something – don’t interrupt me, okay?” She said. I nodded.

 

“I like you, wait no – I like you a lot. I like you more than a friend. To be honest, I was joking around when I said I liked you and I wanted to date you – but within less than a day I fell for you. Pretty hard, I have to admit. I was at home today, and I couldn’t sleep because I was thinking about you.” She stopped for some air, but I could see her eyes getting watery. “Do you like me?” She was going to cry, I could tell.

 

I just leant down to give her a kiss, “I do. I love you, as cheesy as it could sound. It took you one day to get my attention; it took you one day to make me like you, and another day to make me love you.”

 

Tears strolled down her face but I couldn’t touch on why. “Why are you crying?”

 

“Nothing, but promise me… if I ever did something to make you upset – you wouldn’t forgive me. Don’t forgive me, because it wouldn’t be worth it.” She said, wiping her tears away.

 

She left me there dazed, across the street. “Don’t follow me! Just go back into your house! I can see your dad, brother and mum watching!”

 

Jessica, I don’t understand you. If you did anything wrong, I’d forgive you – I know I would but why would you want me not to?

-

I've written Chapter 7 and some of chapter 8 but I'm going to post them when I write every 2 chapters. The inspiration is just coming so me so it wouldn't be long for chapter 7 to come out (just needs to be edited).

Eh, I ended up choosing an existing character by flipping a coin, I'm pretty cool for a author, eh? lol. Just kidding.

So the drill is, I write 2 chapters, post one chapter, write another one then post the one from before. Doesn't make sense? Every 2 chapters I write = 1 chapter posted... depending on how I feel. Hehehehe.