An engagement

It's you, Lee Donghae

Jessica’s POV

I threw myself onto the sofa, kicked off my shoes and pushed my bag onto the floor. I’m knackered.

Who knew school in Seoul was this hard? I should have kept my back in California!

Suddenly the front door slammed. I walked out the living room to the corridor to see who it was. It could only be one person, but there might be a change for once.

Nope. No change.

“Look at your state, socks that aren’t even white enough to be considered white, hair that’s all knotted, and clothes that’s not even in place. Get yourself cleaned up, I have guests coming over. Also, seeing from where you came out from…” He looked at the shoe rack, “Take your shoes out from there and your bag then head to your room. The maid would call you when it’s time for dinner, don’t embarrass me. You know who is coming over today.”

“Yes.”

“Do you not have manners? Did your mother not teach you any in California?”

That’s it; he was going to bring out the in me soon if he went on. Divorced parents in different countries. Fabulous.

“I meant, Yes, Mr. Jung.” I said, trying to keep my anger in my voice to the minimum.

He rolled his eyes and called for a maid, when she came – he pushed his suit case towards her and walked to his study room.

That was my dad, or what I called him… Mr. Jung. Jessica Jung, Mr. Jung… it’s not hard to understand.

I went back into the living room and picked up my stuff then headed upstairs, not forgetting to neatly place my shoes on the shoe rack.

I sat at my desk and buried my head in my arms. I thought back about what Tiffany said to me last month.

Flashback.

“You’re such a selfish person! You think about only yourself. I can’t believe I even befriended you because you aren’t worth it. You’re rich and pretty but that doesn’t mean you have to steal my boyfriend! Usually in this situation with someone else, they’d be crying and telling me they were sorry and they wouldn’t do it again but look at you. You’ve still got that disinterested look in your face.” Tiffany looked at me; though she didn’t know it, every word she said was stabbing me harder and harder.

“I thought you had changed from the first time, Jessie.” She continued as tears began to fall from her eyes.

Fany, please don’t cry. Don’t cry for such a friend like me.

“I have nothing to say… I’m sorry.”

I walked away. How do I tell her that I only got close to her boyfriend because his father was the key to finding out the murderer of my brother? I’m so sorry, Tiffany. I did change, you changed me but my brother in first place.

Was it wrong of me to not tell anyone about his death? However, right now I have to clear my mind. Lee Donghae, I will tip over the whole of South Korea if that’s what it takes to find you.

End of flashback.

I sighed. Revenge… is it good for me?

I picked up my bag and pulled out my notepad.

I flipped to the page with steps. I ripped out the page, scrunched it up and threw it in the bin. It missed.

Does that mean I have to follow through with this? It’s as if even God doesn’t want me to trash the idea.

Suddenly the photo of me and Yunho caught my eye; I have to go through with this. I need to know the truth; I need to know what happened to him.

But that doesn’t mean I need to follow a plan, I’ll just go along with everything.

With the help of Eunhyuk, I can do this… even though it means I’m going to play with friendship. That doesn’t matter though, I’m playing with love – I can play with friendship too. That’s where all relationships all start anyway.

I turned back to my desk and began my homework.

Three hours later, I completed my homework and my maid came in at the right time.

“Jess, dinner will be ready within five minutes. Mr. Jung says you need to get changed into something pretty and lady-like, he said these guests are your future. Do your best!” She gave me a toothy grin and closed the door.

If only she knew he was trying to hook me up with some rich family again. But if he really cared about this he would have sent me off to the salon, given me a spa or something grand, but no. He gives me five minutes to get ready; all he wants to do is marry me off so I’m out his sight. I went through my wardrobe and got myself dressed within three minutes; I then tied my hair up and clipped my front hair into a quiff. I’ll do exactly what he doesn’t want me to do. Dress casually.

http://i.ysi.bz/Assets/GalleryImage/11/369/L_g0012336911.jpg

I walked down the stairs while holding onto my heels, and then slipped them on at the bottom. It’s hard walking down stairs in heels!

I made my way to the dining room and did a 90 degree bow while holding onto my chest to prevent any accidental flashing.

The same guy from last week pulled the chair for me and I sat down as he pushed it back in. He sat directly in front of me.

I looked to my left to see my dad smiling, what a fake smile. He never smiles. Our family never smiled genuinely after Yunho’s death which was four years ago.

“Well, let’s begin eating. Please enjoy.” My dad said. His voice… I want to punch him.

“Ahh, Jessica get’s prettier and prettier every time I saw her!” The lady said.

I looked at her and felt a glare shooting at me from my dad. “Thank you but you’re much prettier than me.” I said.

I could see from the corner of my eye that he was satisfied with my answer.

Dinner went on with the constant talk of how much me and this guy… and how good we looked together.

When it was finally over, we gathered around the living room. I have to get away from this as soon as possible; I was getting sleepy as well.

“I’m sorry; I’m feeling a little unwell. I’m going to head to the bathroom for a bit.” I said and made my way out.

“Uh, I’ll go help her.” That guy said, I could sense the awkwardness in his answer. Obviously he felt the same way as me.

At least I hoped he was feeling the same way as me.

I went to the bathroom and he followed.

I closed the door and locked it.

“Listen to me, I don’t want this. We’re not going to happen.”

“How do you know what for sure?” He said with a piercing look in his eyes, well… quite obviously that I was wrong.

“I don’t like you, I didn’t last week and I won’t in future.”

“You don’t know anything about me, how can you say you won’t already?”

Speechless.

He smiled at me. “You don’t even know my name, Jessica.”

“I don’t need to know it because this is the last time we will be meeting.”

“No it won’t, I’ve enrolled into your school and into your class.” He smirked. “By the way, my name is Siwon. You don’t perhaps like someone do you?”

I don’t know whether saying yes or no would do me a favour…

“You don’t need to know.”

“Yeah I do, I need to know if I have competitors.” He came closer to my face. He’s serious, HE’S SERIOUS. CAN I CRY? End of the world!

“I said you don’t so you don’t, if there are, you’ll find them soon enough.”

I’m speaking way too much with this guy.

“Well, glad to have exchanged words with you. I’ll try my best to win your heart and make you mine.” He smiled again, and then gave me a peck beside my lips. He was literally 0.5mm away from the corner of my lip.

I glared at him. He then unlocked the door and opened it; taking my hand daringly he interlocked his fingers with mine and pulled me to the living room.

“Oh, you’re feeling better now? I see there has been progress!” His mum said, while eyeing our hands.

I was so close to slapping him but I can’t. My dad.

I tried to loosen up on his grab without making it obvious but he just grabbed my hand tighter, but not tight enough to hurt me.

“I don’t want an engagement.”

I looked up at him, was he becoming an angel by cancelling this?

They all looked at him; “Eh?” they all went.

“I want to win Jessica’s heart with my own skills; I want an engagement that will be something with us both in love with each other.”

I rolled my eyes, thought he wouldn’t be so nice… so much for baiting out I didn’t like him to the adults.

The adults didn’t utter a word. I shook his hand off in front of them this time. “My hands getting sweaty.” Then walked up the stairs, this time with my heels on.

I was so angry. I don’t even know why. He’s not being helpful at all.

I heard the front door close and the house was silent again.

I can’t avoid Siwon tomorrow; he’s going to be in my class. Damn! Class! Donghae!

Well, I don’t care. He’ll be my boyfriend tomorrow, and that’s when this mission really does become reality.