Heat

It's you, Lee Donghae

 

 

Chapter 13: Heat

 

Jessica’s POV

 

I struggled to get back up because I hurt my right arm before and it was starting to hurt again. I needed to get up quickly because I was in a position where I was in-between Donghae’s two legs with my chest on his.

 

He pushed me up in a sitting position and sat himself into one but I was too focused on the pain in my arm to care about any misunderstandings. There was no one near us anyway. In fact, we were pretty much isolated.

 

-

 

Siwon’s POV

 

I picked up my phone and called Jessica again but she didn’t pick up. I looked outside, it was dark already.

 

-

 

Donghae’s POV

 

“What’s wrong with your arm?” I asked while watching her clutch onto it with a pained look.

 

“I told you I was in a hit and run accident before, right?”

 

I nodded. “Yeah, why?”

 

“One of the severe injuries was I broke my right arm and wrist.”

 

I held her arm but she flinched. “Sorry.” I apologised. I let go of her arm and got up. The sand stuck to me because I was wet but I couldn’t wipe it off. I bent over and held Jessica around her waist while letting her rest her right arm on my hand.

 

“What happened during that incident?”

 

I never asked on the details about when Donghwa died, I was too angry and I didn’t want to blow over so I didn’t want to know.

 

“Dr. Kim said I told him that I was with someone called Donghwa, it was my ex-boyfriend’s brother and we got into the accident right after I said I wanted to get back with his brother.”

 

She was lying, she had to be lying. She abandoned me. I stopped walking.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Oh, nothing. Continue…” I resumed walking again.

 

“Then when I regained consciousness I crawled to find him because I couldn’t move my legs resulting in a worse injury in my arm and wrist – I then went to go get help by crawling some more. Sounds pathetic, huh. I always wondered how that guy was. I hope his injuries weren’t too bad because he didn’t move like I did.” She forced a smile.

 

She went to get help for my brother. She’s not lying but the Dr. Kim who told her could have had been lying.

 

“Are you sure that Dr. Kim didn’t lie to you?”

 

“He wouldn’t lie to me; I had to choke it out of him to tell me.” She laughed.

 

She wanted to get help and ended up with more severe injuries, whereas hyung died on the spot because of some injuries – she had to carry on with the injuries. Even wanting to suicide.

 

“What’s wrong?” Jessica waved her left arm in front of me.

 

“Nothing, let’s get you in – it’s cold out here.”

 

“We don’t have a change of clothes.” She reminded me as she bit her lips,

 

“Sit down and I’ll see if I can find anything in here for you.”

 

-

 

Jessica’s POV

 

After a long time Donghae came back from upstairs holding two towels.

 

“This is all I could find, there’s no heating or bed upstairs. Wrap these around you first and I’ll drive us back.” He said without much concern.

 

“But it’s late, it’ll be dangerous.”

 

“It’s alright.”

 

-

 

We got into the car and he the engine but his hands were shivering, without realising I took his hands with both of mine and rubbed them together.

 

-

 

Donghae’s POV

 

She was rubbing my hands together to keep them warm in hers, I couldn’t breathe. Why do you have to make it so hard for me?

 

Her eyes were solely focused on our hands but she then let go. The moment was too short. She smiled at me before passing me a towel, “You are wet too – keep warm.”

 

-

 

Jessica’s POV

 

He took the towel I passed him and put it around his shoulders. He the engine.

 

“I’ll turn the heating on,” He said.

 

-

 

Donghae’s POV

 

She unbuckled her seat belt and was leaning over to my side. Her torso was over my legs as she looked as something. Please stop doing this to me, please stop… it won’t be long before I can’t take it anymore.

 

“Don’t turn on the heating,” She said while beginning to move away. She turned off the engine and took out the car keys.

 

“Why did you do that?” I asked when she got back into her seat.

 

“Let’s just stay the night here; we can explain our absence tomorrow. If you turn on the heating and drive, we’ll run out of petrol soon.”

 

“Is that what you was looking at?”

 

“Mhm… Now get some sleep, you’re driving tomorrow morning.” She smiled again before leaning her head to the other side and closing her eyes.

 

I watched her from the back of her head and without realising, my eyelids slowly closed.

 

-

 

I felt a tap on my shoulder, it was Jessica. She was holding onto my arm with one hand, looking at my watch. Thankfully it was waterproof, worth the money I spent on it.

 

“You said it was a 4 hour drive, right? If we go now we could get some time to get prepared in our own homes and get to the office on time.”

 

“How do you get to work?” I asked when turning on the engine. I began to drive at a reasonable speed. My head was feeling quite light though. I wiped the cold sweat off my forehead when I knew she wasn’t looking. My forehead was hot, and I mean hot.

 

“Siwon usually drives me but – oh my gosh! Siwon! I totally forgot about him! He’s probably worried sick.” She screamed and went through her bag. She pulled out her phone and quickly dialled a number.

 

“Hello? Siwon?” She said. I listened to the conversation but I couldn’t hear what Siwon was saying.

 

-

 

Jessica’s POV

 

“I’m so sorry about last night; did you wait all night for me?” I asked, concerned.

 

“I did, where are you?”

 

I looked at Donghae who was still driving, “I was with my boss, I’ll be home in a few hours.”

 

I kept on looking at Donghae, he looked paler than yesterday and missed what Siwon said.

 

“What did you say, sorry?”

 

“I said, be safe and you have some serious explaining to do when you get back.”

 

I smiled before looking in front of me again, “Alright. Well, bye.”

 

I sighed and looked at Donghae again. The car stopped at the traffic lights. I was watching him drive and he seemed a little insecure.

 

“Are you feeling well?” I asked him but he said he was okay. He didn’t look okay to me. I reached out to touch his forehead with the back of my hand. He was extremely hot. “You’ve got a temperature! You can’t drive on or something will happen.”

 

“I’m alright!” He raised his voice. This was getting annoying, “Look – If you do not stop this car to the side this instance I will jump out the car window.” I glared at him. Jessica, you were never this concerned over anyone but Siwon. What’s gotten into me?

 

He stopped the car, “Don’t ever threaten me again with something that!” He looked at me; he looked worried, angry and upset.

 

“I’m sorry,” I got out the car and looked around; there was a hotel with a huge sign that caught my eye.

 

Walking over to the other side I pulled Donghae out with all my strength. He took his arms away from me and almost fell back.

 

“Stop being so stubborn!” I shouted as I grabbed his arm again and dragged him in the direction of the hotel.

 

“What about my car?” He said, he wasn’t even stable when walking and he was worried for his car?

 

“You can buy a new one, that’s what.” I sat him down on the side of the road and went back to the car with the keys. I got our belongings out and locked the car.

 

-

 

Throwing Donghae onto the bed took all my strength and drained me out. I walked into the bathroom to wet some towels.

 

Walking out, I saw Donghae snuggled up into the bed sleeping. He sure knows how to make himself at home. I moved closer to him and put the towel on his forehead.

 

I picked up the phone beside the bed and sat down on the spare space Donghae wasn’t sleeping on. “Hello? Could I order some porridge, please? Alright, thanks – its room 12A. Thank you again.”

 

The food was going to come in 15 minutes; I got off the bed and knelt down beside it. What should I do?

 

I looked at Donghae who was sleeping soundly; he looked different to what he portrayed himself as in the office. He looked innocent, like a kid. No one would have guessed that he hit the pub on most nights and spent every night with a different girl. I thought back to what he told me yesterday.

 

He really did miss his ex-girlfriend, but why did his every word hurt me in a way. Even if it wasn’t a lot, it still hurt me. I felt a bit jealous in a way that he loved someone so dearly. Ah well. That’s life.

 

I picked up the phone and sighed.

 

-

 

There was a knock on the door, I took the porridge and thanked the lady.

 

Placing the porridge beside the bed, I woke Donghae up gently. I leaned against the wall with my back as I sat down and helped him up. He had no strength in his body; I could feel it by the way he moved.

 

“You’re probably malnutritioned because you haven’t eaten for two days and you got a fever.”

 

He was silent as he rested his head on my shoulder. I picked up the porridge and began feeding him.

 

-

 

“I’ve called in for our absence and I’ve also called Siwon to come and pick us up, and finally – I’ve called people to come and pick up your car.”

 

He looked at me, “Thank you.”

 

“Get some more rest, Siwon won’t be here until a while.”

 

-

 

Donghae’s POV

 

Siwon? He really occupied her mind, huh? I couldn’t be happy for her because I wanted to be happy. She was sitting beside me but we were nothing more than friends, heck – were we even friends?

 

I remembered back when we had broken up, she was always around Siwon – avoiding me. She didn’t know but I kept on watching her when I could. Absence made my heart grow fonder.

 

I leant on her shoulder again and let my tears fall slowly.

 

-

 

I woke up over a call, I straightened up but I didn’t have much strength. I had more strength than before but it wasn’t much.

 

“Siwon’s outside, come on – let’s go.” Jessica said. She was beaming.

 

-

 

Siwon’s POV

 

I watched the front door of the hotel and it finally opened. I smiled upon seeing Jessica coming out, but she walked back in after seeing me. She came out again with one arm one someone’s waist, helping him come out. He didn’t look like he had much strength. I looked up at his face.

 

It was him, Lee Donghae. I lost my mind, this was not happening. That was not him but reality hit me. It was really him. He smirked at me.

 

Jessica clicked her fingers. “Help me – he’s heavy.”

 

I pulled Donghae off of her, my jealousy was kicking me. Jessica looked up at me worriedly, “Be a bit more careful, he’s not in the best condition.” She said.

 

She walked into to the passenger seat and got in. “Let him sit at the back so he has more space to move around.” She said.

 

I glared at him, walking him to the other side so Jessica couldn’t hear us.

 

“Why are you here?”

 

“I’m her boss, why wouldn’t I be here?”

 

I opened the door and pushed him in. “Seat belt on, please.”

 

-

 

I looked into the rear mirror to see Donghae sleeping, “Jess – where does he live?”

 

She scratched her head. “I don’t know… let’s just take him back to our apartment until he wakes up. He’s really tired and weak right now.”

 

“Are you going back to the office after?” I asked.

 

I was hoping she was going to say yes.

 

“No, I called in the office earlier to take a day off with him – plus, you need to get to work too and he’ll be alone.”

 

I looked into the rear mirror at Donghae sleeping. Did you really have to show up?

 

---

Current votes (including soshified):

The Cho Siblings (Sunny/Kyuhyun) + Seohyun - 9 Votes

Eunhyuk (Hae's best friend) - 3 Votes

Tiffany (Sica's best friend) - 2 Votes

Sooyoung + Yuri - 1 vote