002

Breaking Free
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YUNHO.

"So… where are we sleeping tonight?” it’s getting tougher and tougher to fight off the sleepiness. We have been walking for a good distance to God-knows-where. I thought I saw her panic for a brief moment, but it might have been my sleepy eyes playing tricks on me. “I haven’t thought of it.” She answered honestly after I waited a fairly long time for her reply. Now what have I gotten myself into? Maybe I would wake up after a good night’s rest and realise how crazy and rashly I’ve acted, which by then would be too late as I would have missed our flight to Japan for a recording. “I was planning to sleep under a bridge or just on a bench in the park.” Now she’s being too honest. She’s lucky I decided to lose my senses and tag along then; otherwise she would have placed herself in potential danger. “Just for tonight. I will think of something for tomorrow.” I sighed. Tonight would be a long night. How am I supposed to get any sleep when I have to protect her?

***

It was a good thing she woke up when the first rays of the sun shone. It was too tempting watching her sleep and me getting none because I had to be a gentleman and watch over her. Besides, sleeping at the bus stop is not the best way to avoid attention, even though it would deter erts with funny ideas. Unlike how I usually wake up wondering where am I – the side effects of flying too much all over the world – Sohee woke up alert of her surroundings. I watched her cautiously scan the environment like a hawk before finally relaxing to stretch. Now that she is stretching, she looks like a normal person. Who wakes up tensed and checking the environment before easing? “Good morning.” I greeted her warmly with a smile. Since we would be travelling together, I figured it would be best if we get along well.
“Good morning.” She might have shared the same thoughts as me, as she returned it with a smile too. Now that the sun is up and I can see her face clearly, she has a beautiful smile.

Chewing the bun in my hands, I peeked at her out of the corner of my eyes. She was scanning the street. What is she looking for? “We can get on that truck.” She pointed suddenly to the delivery truck nearby where a man was loading boxes of oranges. “What?” I don’t quite get her drift.
“If we get on, it’ll be free transport for us and hopefully it would be headed far from Seoul. Besides, you can grab some sleep while on the truck. We’ll be resting and still moving.” She walked closer to the truck. She’s got a point there. I finished my bun and stood next to her trying to act as casual as I could. Once the man headed to the driver seat, she grabbed my hand and dashed for the back of the truck. I quickly got on with her, hoping nobody would notice. She started pushing the boxes around. “Although it’s not very comfortable, you can sleep now.” the look on her face was nearly… apologetic? Was she feeling bad because I couldn’t get a wink of sleep last night? My body reacted faster than my mind and before long; I was curled up in the space she made, fast asleep.

When I woke up, darkness surrounded me and I made a guess that the sun has probably set. Flexing my muscles as much as I could, I pulled myself up as my eyes adjusted to the new lighting. They focused on the tiny figure all balled up near where my foot rested when I was lying down. She was asleep too, in a sitting position with her arms wrapped arou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter