007

Breaking Free
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YUNHO.

Hearing Sohee starting to breath rhythmically, I slowly propped myself up on my elbow and gazed at her sleeping face. How much has she suffered under her dad’s control? Somehow, she reminded me of myself. I had no say in my future too, as the company manipulated my every step. I knew exactly how Sohee felt and how much she craves for freedom. If I wake up unaware of which country I am in, Sohee wakes up having to be eagle-eyed about possible dangers in the surrounding. While I have Changmin, does she even have a friend to confide in? Is my life tougher, or is hers harsher? Perhaps we can only feel our own pain the most, but I believe she certainly deserves the chance to carve her own future. “I will protect you.” I don’t know what came over me to say that, but I won’t regret it. It was from the bottom of my heart and I cannot explain the impulse to want to shield her from the storms. I will protect you.

***

When the first rays shone into the room, I washed up and left a note for Sohee to let her know that I went to get breakfast for us. It was a sleepless night for me as I kept going through possible options… What can I do for her before both of us get caught? A few thoughts came to mind, but I couldn’t settle on just one. I wanted to do everything I could possibly do for her.

I bought warm soup and a few side dishes, hoping that this would start our day well. After all, I had lined up an exciting day ahead for her and she better have the energy for it. After obtaining some directions from the people, I managed to find a shop selling dresses that should be appropriate for her. Knowing her, anything floral or lacy would likely be out of the question. Thus, I settled on a studded black dress that would be chic and edgy. I figured bootie wedges should be comfortable enough for her to walk in and can’t help but marvel at my knowledge for ladies’ fashion. Occasionally tuning in to Changmin’s comments about girl group’s style wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

When I returned to our motel room, Sohee is already up and was drying her hair by the bed. “Good morning!” I greeted her cheerfully and offered my best million dollar smile. She seemed taken aback, for she stunned momentarily before uttering a reply. She dropped her towel into the basket and came over to help me with the breakfast. “Isn’t this too much for us to finish?” she shook her head disapprovingly but took a sip of the kimchi stew.
“Not really. You’ll need the energy for today.”

“… …”
I massaged my nape awkwardly as Sohee held the dress an arm’s length away, scrutinizing it.
“Yah, I bought it just for you, so why are you scrunching up your face!” I tried to break the silence. Sohee remained quiet and picked up the pair of wedges. Is she judging my taste or what? Does she dislike the dress? Or are the wedges to tall? But I already picked the lowest heel! Maybe I should’ve gotten her sneakers?
“Thank you.” a barely audible voice interrupte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter