015

Breaking Free
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SOHEE.

While the ice pack was being applied on my arm, I spent the time processing what had just happened. Seeing how the bag came in from a near distance and dipped at the bottom, I should’ve guessed it carried something heavy. How could I let them have their way so easily? I closed my eyes and tried to think of possible reasons for them to be doing this. Had I not blocked that bag, it would’ve hit Yunho. How can the attacker be so certain that I would be able to block it before it gets Yunho? If they were aiming it at me, then they must have planned everything beforehand. But why would they do such a thing to someone whose job is to protect their precious oppa?

As I made my way back, I recalled the fans’ reaction to my amusement park photographs with Yunho. Were the fans jealous because I had a job that enabled me to be close to Yunho 24/7? Or were they testing my abilities? I supposed it was a mix of both options. I was about to enter when I heard a slam on the desk followed by manager’s frustrated outburst. My mistake was not mine alone. It had reflected badly on Yunho’s decision and manager’s approval to his proposal. If being Yunho’s personal bodyguard means protecting him with my life, I just have to prove that I am ready to give up my life for him, right? As long as I prove myself eligible, the fans would leave me – us – alone, right? Then I just need a chance. I will give it all I’ve got.

***

Strapping on the mask, I tightened it for a better fit and adjusted my gloves. I then checked the marker and loaded it with paintballs. I could feel Yunho eyeing me nervously. For the past week, he had been trying to coax me out of this challenge that I issued the fans. But what point is there in avoiding this topic? If I don’t prove to them that I am indeed capable, they would never leave us alone. “Sohee, it’s not too late to cancel the game.” he caught me by my arm as I walked past him.
“And leave your side? Do you want me to stop being your bodyguard?” I had laid precise outcomes for this game. If I lose today’s game, I will have to leave Yunho’s side and never appear before him again. But if I emerge the winner, the fans have agreed to stop meddling in our affairs from now on. For someone who spent most of her life learning how to use a gun, I believe paintball would be a game where I have the highest odds of winning.
“Are you crazy? What if you lose the game?” Yunho looked infuriated, but I had made up my mind.
“I will protect my position. Believe in me.”

I flexed my muscles and willed for the marker to become one with my body. Glanced briefly in the direction of the watch tower where Yunho and the other fans would be watching the entire match, I settled my racing heart. There is only one option for me now – to win this game. The field wasn’t too big and there are five opponents. Wielding the marker close, I carefully trudged forward. Consideri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter