005

Breaking Free
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YUNHO.

I have completely no clue of what’s going on. Exactly why are we scampering to hide? Catching her breath, Sohee peeked out of our hiding spot behind the row of recycling bins. I took a peek too, but saw only two men taking a leisurely stroll past the bench I was relaxing on just moments ago. Sohee pulled her head back quickly and ushered me further in behind the bins. “What’s wrong? Who are we hiding from? I only see two men and they don’t look that dangerous to me.”
“Can’t you tell they’re plain clothes police?” Sohee shot me a look furiously. What? Plain clothes police? How does she know that they’re police if they’re in plain clothes then? This makes no sense! Even if they are police officers, why does she have to run the moment she sees them? And how did she even spot them just now while in her trance? Nothing makes sense!

It was a good half an hour before Sohee declared it safe for us to come out of hiding. My knees were numb from staying in that balled up position, but Sohee seemed to be just fine. For the past 30 minutes, I had conjured up several possible scenarios and explanations. She might have been deep in thoughts, but she was still very much alert of her surroundings, just as she usually is. She is a fast runner and she has to hide from the police. Could she be a burglar or a wanted person? Come to think of it, she was behaving suspiciously when I first met her in the convenience store. Sohee might be a woman, but could she possibly be someone dangerous?

“Lets buy some food and hide in a motel for today. I need to rethink about our travel route.” Without waiting for my reply, she headed for the convenience stall and grabbed a few bottles of mineral water and cup noodles. I waited by the door and watched as she fished out her wallet to pay. She obviously has the means to pay for her purchases. So why was she sneaking around in the convenience store that night?

***

I was planning to ask the motel staff at the counter for some hot water to boil our cup noodles when I saw someone running down the corridor frantically. “The police are here to raid the place! The police are raiding the place!” he shouted at the top of his lungs as he ran downstairs to spread the message. I felt a hand yanking me back into our room and the door was slammed shut. Sohee’s fingers moved quickly the lock the door and she dashed over to the window with her bag. “When the police come in, pretend you’re here alone!” with that, she threw the window open and jumped off. Before I could get over my shock, fists came hammering on the door and there were orders being shouted for me to open up. Trying to stable my emotions as best as I could, I took a deep breath before opening the door.

“Yes?” I tried to channel my best serious face, hoping that my nervousness won’t show. A few officers shoved their way in and searched the room.
“Why are you here alone?” the officer-in-charge was a stern man.
“Hai, I a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter