016

Breaking Free
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YUNHO.

As I waited anxiously in the watch tower for Sohee to appear on the field, a million thoughts flashed past my mind. I envisioned Sohee being cornered by her opponents. I envisioned Sohee making a futile attempt to break free. I envisioned myself convincing the fans to accept Sohee as my bodyguard despite her losing the game. Simply put, I am not expecting Sohee to be able to win this game. Although she pulled off the tough vibe when I first got to know her, I know that’s just her disguise. Sohee is a woman of many wounds and she is actually a softie inside. She yearns for a normal life as a normal girl. But what have I done now? Why did I have to put her through more distress? What was I thinking?

I held my breath as the game started. From where I stood, I could see perfectly where her opponents were hiding. In fact, there was one nearby, waiting for the perfect chance to pounce on her. I was expecting Sohee to find a hiding spot to take them down one at a time as they approached. To my surprise, she jumped onto a container agilely with enough time to react to a surprise attack. It all happened so fast I didn’t even catch it properly. The fans who were also watching with me all gasped in surprise and started murmuring amongst themselves. Part of me swelled with pride and I suppressed the urge to announce that this was Sohee on the battlefield and that they had better brace themselves – so says the one who doubted her moments ago. But Sohee doesn’t have to ever find out about that.

My breathing hastened as I watched Sohee leaped across containers. The distance is so wide, what if she falls midair? But her little stunts seemed to have awed the other fans as they applauded her guts. Did she purposely plan this to impress to the fans? Was this a move to leave a good impression on them? If that’s the case, she doesn’t have to bring it this far and risk her own safety! So what if she was a desk-bound officer? I’d picked her out myself; so they should at least trust my judgment. Furthermore, she was properly trained and graduated from the police academy. I clenched my fists and resisted the compulsion to stop this silly game. Just then, the fans started an uproar again as they pointed down to the field. Sohee had just taken down another two rivals in a split second, and I felt like a proud parent once again. Exactly what sorcery is this? Why does Sohee have the ability to bring my emotions to extreme ends at whim?

As Sohee easily took down another and started searching for her last victim, I couldn’t help but notice the determined e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter