Yes

Fostered love.

That day flew by. It was, in Baro’s opinion, the most fun that he had had since being adopted. Although they didn’t do too much that day, small things such as their grocery shopping seemed like a trip to an amusement park. When they came back they lounged about on the couch and in their room, playing video games and introducing Sandeul to some new songs that he had missed out on. By early Sunday morning Baro and Daehyun were proud as they watched Sandeul do the fan chants while watching a Girls Day video.

They all went to sleep at three O’clock that morning. They were all happy in the knowledge that Mrs Jung would be working the next day and therefore wouldn’t be waking them up. However they were abruptly awoken from their dreams when Yoon Ae barged into their rooms. Baro was once again hugging Sandeul like a teddy bear. Somehow Sandeul managed to sleep peacefully despite Baro’s snoring. Daehyun on the other hand slept peacefully in his single bed. They all awoke with a jump when Yoon Ae called them.

“Quickly wake up” roared Yoon Ae.

Daehyun and Sandeul both jumped up startled. Baro however opened his eyes slightly and pulled the blanket over them.

“What?” asked Daehyun. “It’s too early to wake up”

“Whether or not you want to wake up is entirely up to you.” Replied Yoon Ae. “However Sandeul doesn’t have a choice and I’m sure you will want to be with him”

“What?” asked Sandeul.

“The police want to talk to you” replied Yoon Ae.

“Why” asked Baro as he quickly sat up.

“It’s about your dad” continued Yoon Ae.

“My dad, what’s wrong with him?” asked Sandeul.

Yoon Ae looked at him slightly confused she then looked at Baro and Daehyun who both exchanged glances which told her that they forget to tell Sandeul.

“I’ll let Baro and Daehyun explain” replied Yoon Ae. “You’ll be needed in five minutes. Just put some clothes on.”

Yoon Ae indicated towards Baro who was now kneeling beside Sandeul, wearing only his boxers. She smiled at them before closing the door behind her.

“What’s wrong with my dad?” asked Sandeul worriedly.

“Well you see” said Daehyun.

“I’m sorry that we never told you” said Baro.

Baro sat down beside Sandeul and put one arm around him supportingly.

“You see, when you were unconscious in the hospital your dad showed up” continued Daehyun.

“And?” asked Sandeul.

“We got you out before he seen you, however he chased us two.” Inputted Baro.

“However we got into our car and away from him before he could hurt us.” Informed Daehyun.

“However he managed to follow us home and kinda attacked us here.” Continued Baro.

“The police came and arrested him for assault” informed Daehyun. “He was also set to be charged with abuse”

Sandeul stared at the two in shock. His face was pale and he didn’t know how to respond to the news. He stared blankly for a minute before finally speaking.

“Who did he assault?” asked Sandeul.

“Em” hesitated Baro.

“Us two” said Daehyun.

“What did he do?” asked Sandeul.

“Sandeul does it matter?” asked Baro.

“I must know” replied Sandeul.

Baro sighed as he didn’t know how to continue.

“He knocked me out and repeatedly hurt Baro to try and find your whereabouts” answered Daehyun.

“I see” said Sandeul as he stood up.

Sandeul walked over to the wardrobe and started to out some trousers on.

“Are you mad?” asked Baro still sitting in his spot.

“At you?” asked Sandeul.

“You are, aren’t you.” Said Baro.

“No. I’m mad at myself and at my dad.” Replied Sandeul.

“Why are you mad at yourself?” asked Daehyun.

“Because if you didn’t know, if I didn’t agree to become your friend then you never would have gotten hurt.” Replied Sandeul.

“Sandeul” said Baro as he walked over to him. “Don’t be mad at yourself. Friends protect each other. If I was in your position you would protect me”

Sandeul sighed before nodding his head.

“Promise me you won’t be mad at yourself” said Baro holding up his pinky finger.

“Fine” sighed Sandeul.

He held up his pinky finger two and they promised. Baro then hugged Sandeul before speaking.

“Wait a sec, we’ll go down with you” said Baro.

“Why? Where you not going to come?” joked Sandeul.

Baro and Daehyun smiled as they quickly put clothes on. Baro ended up with a pair of tight green shorts and a white, tight shirt. Daehyun wore a pair of white trousers with a black And white shirt. Sandeul stood by the door waiting for the two. He was wearing a pair of low crotched pants with a baggy t-shirt. The three eventually left the room and walked down to the kitchen, where a man and a woman sat at the table. Yoon Ae stood at a counter making coffee. She smiled as she saw the three boys come down the stairs. She then handed the two detectives a cup of coffee before taking one of the three free seats. Sandeul then sat in one of the other free seats while Daehyun and Baro stood behind him.

“Baro-shi this is Detective Choi and detective Lee” introduced Yoon Ae.

“Hello” greeted Sandeul bowing towards the two detectives.

The female detective smiled at Sandeul before the man spoke.

“I assume you know by now about the incident that occurred here over a week ago, in which your dad was involved.” Said detective Choi.

“Hm” answered Sandeul. “I have been told.”

“Good” said detective Choi. “Well we would like to ask you some questions about your dad”

Sandeul nodded.

“Was he ever violent?” asked detective Lee.

Sandeul hesitated.

“You don’t have to answer.” Said detective Lee. “However doing so will help the investigation.”

“He was sometimes” replied Sandeul.

“Sometimes?” said detective Choi. “Such as when?”

“When his team lost or when he had been drinking.” Replied Sandeul.

“I see.” Said detective Lee as she wrote some notes down. “From what I heard is it fair to say that he had been very violent lately considering the recent number of defeats his team had encountered?”

“Yeah he has been.” Said Sandeul. “Usually he was only violent once every five or six weeks but since moving here he has been acting out most days.”

“Acting out on you?” asked detective Choi.

“Yeah” replied Sandeul.

“Okay.” Exclaimed detective Choi. “Let’s see. Was he ever violent when your mother was alive?”

“No. He was always happy and was very nice and gentle” replied Sandeul quietly.

“What happened?” asked detective Lee.

“He blamed me for my mother’s dead and then started to heavily drink.” Replied Sandeul emotionlessly.

“Why did he blame you?” asked detective Lee. “Was it because you were also in the car?”

“Yeah. He said that if I wasn’t there that my mom would have lived.” Answered Sandeul.

Daehyun and Baro stood still in the background, shocked by how easily Sandeul was answering the questions and by how emotionless he was. Yoon Ae however was horrified to hear what Sandeul was saying. She was horrified that Sandeul was beaten by his dad and was blamed for his mother’s death.

“We won’t ask too much more” said detective Lee. “Does your dad’s attack on your two friends surprise you?”

“Yes” replied Sandeul.

“Why” asked detective Lee.

“He only ever acted violent to me. He was always very happy and nice to others” replied Sandeul. “Even when he was mad at others he never acted out at them.”

“Do you think it may have been caused by Mrs Jung telling him that she knew of the abuse?” asked detective Choi.

“If she did say that then I suppose it would have been.”

“Last question” announced detective Choi. “Do you want to file charges?”

Sandeul hesitated. He looked at Yoon Ae and then at Baro and Daehyun. Baro put his hands on Sandeul’s shoulders.

“Forget about us and what he had done.” Replied Baro. “Do you want to press charges against your father for what he has done to you? No matter what I will support you”

Sandeul sat in silence for a few more minutes. He sighed before speaking,

“I do.” Answered Sandeul.