What's wrong?

Fostered love.

After half an hour of sitting in silence Baro decided to go and wander around the hospital in order to waste time. Baro left and decided to locate the toilets during the walk, so that he knew where to go during the night. After wandering for about for five minutes Baro located the nearest toilets. He decided to go and walk around the hospital starting with the main entrance. Baro walked for about ten minutes before managing to find his way to the main entrance. The hospital was quiet, however many people filled the waiting rooms. Baro watched as people came in and out of the hospital in a steady flow.

He sighed as he looked around. He kept noticing parents with young kids, who looked worried for their children. Suddenly Baro thought of his most traumatic moment at a hospital, one which he chose to forget, one which helped define who he was today.

 

 

Baro could still remember the day as if it was yesterday. It was well after midnight when Baro rushed through the front doors. His face was pale and a worried, concerned expression was painted on his face. Baro ran to the front desk, his ruined suit flailing behind him. The secretary behind the desk looked up at him in concern.

“Where’s the emergency room?” asked Baro before he even reached the desk.

“It’s in the west wing.” Replied the secretary. “Follow the corridor and signs after that door and you’ll be there”

“Thanks” said Baro before racing off again.

Baro crashed through the double doors that the secretary pointed at. He ran past a group of nurses who looked at him with concern. He continued down the corridor turning right and left when the signs instructed. After two minutes of sprinting down the corridors Baro finally threw open the last set of double doors, revealing the emergency room. Baro quickly went over to the main desk.

“Where’s the Cha family?” asked Baro.

“Are you a relative?” asked the secretary before looking up.

However once she looked at Baro, she instantly knew how stupid her question was.

“Let me check now” said the secretary as she quickly sifted through a bundle of papers that were lying on her desk.

Baro waited impatiently as the nurse scanned the bundle of pages.

“They should have arrived no later than thirty minutes ago.” Said Baro, as he noticed that the pages were allocated different time periods.

The nurse nodded before pulling out a different piece of paper. About half way down she looked up at him and gulped.

“I’m afraid you’ll have to wait a minute while I get a doctor” said the nurse.

Baro looked at her in confusement as she hurried off to the other side of the department. A minute later she came running back with a female doctor. The doctor looked flustered and concerned.

“I’m sorry but can you follow me please” said the doctor.

Baro nodded before following her across the room. She led him out of the emergency department and down into a quiet corridor. She suddenly stopped and looked at him. Baro stared back. He noticed that her eyes where moist and that she looked sad and concerned. Baro knew what she was going to say but refused to believe it.

Baro shook his head. The doctor grabbed him and hugged him tightly.

“I’m sorry” said the doctor, holding back her tears.

Baro stayed there for a moment, unable to say or do anything. Slowly tears began to fall down his face. He felt tremendous pain in his chest and began to find it difficult to breathe. He began to heavily breathe but started choking on his excessive tears.

“No” sobbed Baro. “No there must be a mistake” pleaded Baro as he continued to cry.

“I’m sorry” replied the doctor.

“How?” asked Baro pulling out of the hug.

The doctor shook her head. She could feel his pain and refused to hurt him more.

“How?” screamed Baro.

His tears caused his voice to turn high pitched. The doctor started to cry slightly.

“S… S… Smoke… Inhalation.” Replied the doctor.

Baro dropped to the ground. He wiped his tears from his eyes. The doctor quickly bent down to check on him.

“I want to see them” said Baro as he sniffed.

“Are you sure?” replied the doctor.

Baro nodded.

“I need to” said Baro.

The doctor nodded and helped him up. She guided him back into the emergency room, down a narrow corridor, down a flight of stairs and into the morgue. Baro followed her as she walked into a waiting room.

“Wait here” said the doctor.

Baro nodded and sat down. He couldn’t help but fidget as the doctor left him alone. Five minutes later she returned with a middle aged, balding man. The man gave him a pitiful smile.

“Please follow me” announced the man.

Baro bowed and followed him down the corridor and into a room with two tables. The tables had a body on each. The man stopped beside the first body.

“Based on the victims, I assume you are Baro-shi.”

Baro nodded.

“Okay, do you need a moment?” asked the doctor.

“No, please hurry.” Replied Baro.

The man nodded before ping the body bag. The first body was of a man. Baro choked and tears started to fall as he stared down at his dead father.

“Abeoji” croaked Baro.

Baro bent down and slowly his cold fathers face. His tears started to fall onto his father’s face. Baro quickly turned away and wiped away the tears. He then nodded at the man to show him the next body. the man slowly ped the body bag, displaying a middle aged, pretty, woman with long black hair. Baro slowly moved over to his mother’s body. As he stood beside her he looked down.

Upon seeing her face, Baro suddenly dropped to the ground. He began to cry heavily and controllably.

“Mian” cried Baro. “Mian eomeoni.”

Baro hugged her cold, lifeless body while crying. He knew that it was silly and stupid but he hoped that if he held her strong enough that she would wake up.

 

 

Baro stood in the middle of the corridor by the main entrance. Slowly tears had begun to fall down his face as the memories of that day resurfaced.

“Are you okay?” asked a nurse who had just approached him.

“Hm” replied Baro. “Ah, mian”

Baro bowed before walking back up towards Sandeul’s room. He still cried while walking up and by the time he reached the bathroom he was heavily crying. Baro walked into them and leaned against the door. He was alone in the toilet and began to heavily cry and sob. After about five minutes he stood up and walked over to the sink. His tears had reduced however his eyes were bright red from his tears.

“Babo” said Baro as he stared at his reflection.

However despite his efforts the tears began to fall even heavier. Baro fell onto the floor crying endlessly.

“Baro?” exclaimed Daehyun as he suddenly walked in. “Baro what’s wrong?”

“Kill me Daehyun” replied Baro. “Just kill me”

“Baro-ah” said Daehyun.

Daehyun bent down and embraced Baro in a hug.

“I don’t deserve to live” said Baro.