Punching Bag

Fostered love.

A few hours later Baro and Daehyun sat side by side on a bench in one of the corridors. They sat in silence. Baro’s eyes had stopped looking red and the two now sat somewhat awkwardly beside one another.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” asked Daehyun.

“Hm” replied Baro.

“Are you hungry?” asked Daehyun.

Baro nodded in reply.

“Let’s go eat” said Daehyun.

He stood up, stretched his hand out for Baro and smiled. Baro took Daehyun’s hand; suddenly Daehyun dragged him down the corridor and through several flights of stairs before the two finally reached a cafeteria. The cafeteria was large, but was rather quiet and empty due to the late time. Other than a few doctors and surgeons who just got a break, Daehyun and Baro where the only people in the cafeteria.

“Sit and I’ll get us something” said Daehyun.

Baro nodded before sitting down at a nearby table. The table was isolated from those that were occupied. Baro waited as Daehyun dragged two trays across a buffet, occasionally putting some food onto their trays. After about five minutes Daehyun returned with two trays full of food. Daehyun placed the colourful delicacies before Baro. Baro automatically took up his chopsticks and stared at his tray which contained Kimchi, rice, pickled vegetables and a large steaming pot of soondubu jjigae.

Baro began to engulf his tray of food. He had finished his rice, Kimchi and vegetables within minutes. He then seemed to inhale the jjigae as he finished it two minutes later. Daehyun watched in amusement as Baro finished his food so fast that people would think someone was trying to steal it. Daehyun slowly finished his food, making Baro wait ten more minutes with the greatest impatience.

“Gees, I buy you food and you make me feel as if I’m committing a crime by slowly eating my food” said Daehyun as they walked back to Sandeul’s room.

“Quit complaining and hurry up, Sandeul would have been back hours ago.” Replied Baro.

Daehyun followed Baro as they turned the last corner. Just as they turned the corner Baro bumped into a medium height man. The collision sent Baro flying down to the floor.

“Mian” said Baro as he picked himself up.

Baro looked up to see an angry man standing there. Automatically Baro recognised him as Sandeul’s father. The man gave Baro one last threatening look before shoving past him and Daehyun.

“Rude bastard” cursed Daehyun after the man disappeared. “What’s wrong you look like you’ve just seen a ghost”

Daehyun stared at Baro who continued to look where the man once stood. Baro was as pale as a piece of paper.

“Yah” yelled Daehyun as Baro suddenly started to sprint down the corridor towards Sandeul’s room.

Daehyun chased after Baro.

“Yah” yelled Daehyun as he arrived at Sandeul’s room.

Baro stood frozen in the doorway. The room was in bits. The couch was turned upside down, the wardrobe lay on its side and the mattress contained various slits caused by a knife. The walls also contained punch marks and holes from a knife stabbing them.

“Where’s Sandeul?” asked Daehyun as he stared in shock at the mess.

“I don’t know” replied Baro.

Suddenly Daehyun’s phone rang. Daehyun quickly rummaged through his pockets before finally pulling it out.

“Yeobosaeyo” said Daehyun as he answered the call. “It’s eomma”

“Put her on speaker” said Baro.

Daehyun nodded and quickly put the call on speaker.

“Listen to me and don’t ask questions” said their mom. “Sandeul is safe; I want both of you to exit the hospital through the emergency department within the next five minutes. Understand?”

“Yeah” replied Baro and Daehyun.

Beep… beep… beep… went the phone.

“Is there anything we need here?” asked Baro.

Baro and Daehyun quickly scanned the room, after discovering nothing of interest the two quickly sprinted out of the room.

“Yah” yelled an angry voice from behind them.

“” said Baro as he speed up. “It’s Sandeul’s dad”

The two of them ran faster as they speed down the corridor, crashing through double doors here and there as well as avoiding nurses, doctors, surgeons and patients. They could still hear Sandeul’s dad yelling for them to stop.

“Turn right” yelled Baro. “Don’t stop, I’ll take a detour”

Before Daehyun could reply Baro turned left and raced down a different corridor. Baro crashed through multiple double doors, however within minutes he came to a dead end. He knew that Sandeul’s dad had followed him, as he could still hear him yelling, which was quickly getting closer. Baro stumbled into a room to his right. He stayed low, avoiding both the window and the door at all cost.

“Ha-ha” called Sandeul’s dad. “So you’re in one of these rooms”.

Baro could hear the door of the other room open; he knew that the only door in and out was not an option as Sandeul’s dad would catch him before he could run off. Baro frantically looked left and right for a way out, suddenly the window caught his attention. The small window was positioned above a desk; it led to the corridor and was one of the only sources of outside light to enter. Baro pulled the window out and lifted himself onto the desk. He slowly started to squeeze himself through the window.

Finally after much struggle Baro fell and landed on the floor of the outside corridor. Baro knew that if he ran straight then he would be able to get to the emergency department.

“So you’re hiding in here” called Sandeul’s father. “You have three seconds to come out otherwise I cannot be held responsible for my actions.”

Baro got into the starting position as if he was about to run 100 meters.

“One… Two…” called Sandeul’s dad. “Three”

The sound of the door being slammed open acted as Baro’s whistle to begin. Baro sprinted down the corridor at full speed. He crashed through a few more double doors before reaching the turn that he had left Daehyun at. However by now his breathing had become quite heavy and he could now hear Sandeul’s dad catch up.

 

“Where’s Baro?” asked Mrs Jung as she frantically tapped her fingers against the steering wheel.

“He’ll be here” replied Daehyun who remained calm.

Daehyun although calm, still paced up and down beside the car on the path.

“He only has a minute left” said Mrs Jung worriedly.

“He’ll be here” replied Daehyun.

 

“Got yah” yelled Sandeul’s father victoriously as he grabbed Baro’s shirt and pulled Baro backwards.

Baro flew backwards falling onto his back. Baro yelled in agony as a pain soared through his back. They were in the middle of the emergency department. All the staff, patients and visitors stared at them.  Sandeul’s dad grabbed Baro and brutally pulled Baro up and pushed him against a wall. Despite Baro’s screams of agony Sandeul’s father began to react with more violence.

“Where’s my son?” asked Sandeul’s father.

“What son?” replied Baro, trying to calm his voice despite the agony.

“Sandeul-shi. Where is my Sandeul-shi?” demanded Sandeul’s father.

“Oh, you mean your punching bag” replied Baro.

“What did you say?”

“I find it weird that instead of using a stress toy or a teddy bear you use the person that you refer to as your child”

Sandeul’s father slapped Baro across the face. The sound bounced off the walls of the quiet ER.

“How dare you lie like that.” Threatened Sandeul’s father.

“Lie?”

“Yes. What proof do you have?” asked Sandeul’s father.

“My own eyes, as well as the wounds that you caused your own son which left him in hospital.”

“Your eyes?”

“Yes” replied Baro. “If it wasn’t for my little rock you would have killed him”

Sandeul’s father dropped his grip. He stepped back, looked at Baro and smirked.

“That was you, who threw that stone through my front window”

“Yeah” smirked Baro.

Sandeul’s father ran towards Baro, however Baro expected this. He spun out of the way and sprinted towards the exit. He flew through the doors and sprinted towards the cars.

“Where are they?” asked Baro as he raced along the cars.

“Baro-shi” called Mrs Jung.

Her car came to a stop about 100 meters ahead.

“Quick, he’s coming” screamed Daehyun.

Baro sprinted towards the car. He ignored the severe pain in his back and the lack of energy he had left. Mrs Jung started to ref up the engine as Baro approached. The back door flung open and instinctively Baro jumped in through the doors. The car pulled out and speed off. Leaving Sandeul’s father behind. Baro lay huffing as Daehyun closed the back door with a grunt.

 

I hope you liked this chapter. This ended up being another off the cut, unexpected chapter. I took a five minute break between writing about Baro bumbing into the man and him recognising the man. He was gonna be Sandeul before the break and wolla, that happened. Anyway i had a bit of fun writing the escape seen. Incase you're wondering i stole the idea from the runningman where Kim Won Bin escaped the room during capture the flag through a window. Anyway hoped you enjoyed this chapter and more chapters to come. :)