Chapter 18

The White Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

New Year's Day 2017.

 

A year has passed and 2016 was coming to an end. Aerin was on winter break as she went through more treatments. Unlike the first time, Aerin was granted to leave the hospital after therapy to make it seem less obvious to her siblings who came to visit home occasionally. Due to chemotherapy, her hair had to be shaved off and so she decided to wear a wig which was similar to her hair to cover her secret. It was hard but she still wanted to go around people without feeling different. As for her relationship with Hansol, she was still holding on. 

She knew if she hid the secret and one day Hansol finds out, he will be angry, upset and so forth but he was doing so well in the music industry and she didn't want to ruin that by worrying him so much. Using her special pass to some companies granted by her father, she frequently visited the boys during practice hours with food. Aerin became a regular visitor to Pledis that the staff all knew her. By night, she returned home with memories to write down in her journal. 

On New Year’s Eve, Aerin was in Jongin’s room as she sat down on his bed and reminisced the times they had when they were younger before Jongin became a trainee. The amount of times Aerin would sleep inside Jongin's bedroom instead of her own because she was scared of the monster beneath her bed and the times when she annoyed Jongin when he was doing his homework. Now his bed was neatly done, untouched for months as his room was still in place just as he left it to be. On that particular day, Jongin was busy with end of the year shows and EXO had recently returned with a winter comeback so he couldn't join his family for New Year's celebration, again. 

She sighed as she palmed the navy blue bedsheets. She missed being around her complete family. Now her eldest sister was married and has a child, second sister was busy helping her eldest sister manage a cafe she owns and had rented her own apartment, her brother who was constantly busy with work and so were her parents. They barely had time for each other but she couldn't demand for the attention she sought. Aerin was not a child anymore and besides, she was immune to the emptiness. With an upset heart, she walked out of Jongin's bedroom as she put on her wig before anyone could catch the sight of her. Mrs. Kim had arrived home as she announced herself whilst entering their home. Her presence had brighten Aerin's day as Aerin went downstairs to greet her mother who was away  for a business trip for three days.

 

“Eomma? You’re back!”

 

“Yes, Aerin. And tonight we're all going to watch Jongin oppa on television in pyjamas whilst eating ramyeon and countdown to New Year!”

 

“All?”

 

“Yes, I called your sisters and told them to stop whatever they are planning to do tonight and come home to support your brother. Besides, you could spend time with little Rahee! And as for your father, he initially had a dinner to attend but I told his secretary to free up his time for family time tonight.”

 

Aerin grinned brightly and pulled her mother into a hug. Their family might be not complete due to Jongin's absence but it was already enough to her. She couldn't wait to see her little niece and Aerin's sisters and her brother-in-law Dongbin. When they arrived for early dinner, they all were dressed in pyjamas just as what Mrs. Kim had told them to. Aerin was the one who opened the door for them and so as soon as she saw her siblings, brother-in-law and niece, she shrieked and hugged them one by one. 

 

“Rahee!”

 

“Aerin auntie~”

 

Rahee reached out to Aerin, wanting to be carried by her instead of Dongbin. Aerin took her from Dongbin's arms and carried her to the dining room, escorting the rest. Mrs. Kim had just finished setting out the table with her helpers just in time for dinner. As soon as she saw her granddaughter, she made a little scream and went over to Aerin and Rahee, giving a peck on the little one's cheeks. Mrs. Kim greeted the rest with hugs and kisses and made them dig into the food.

 

“Eomma, where's Appa?”

 

“Here I am!”

 

Their beloved father walked into the dining room with a cute sky blue pyjamas with rabbit prints and came to kiss Rahee's forehead then hugged the rest. Aerin had Rahee on her lap and facing her as she decided to feed the little one without bothering to eat as she loved her niece's company. Rahee giggled a lot which warmed Aerin's heart. In the midst of dinner & chatting away, Aerin's phone rang indicating a video call. Her heart sprung as she saw the caller ID turned out to be Jongin.

 

“Oppa! Rahee-yah, say hi to uncle Jongin~”

 

“Annyeong Aerin-ah~ Raaaheeee-yah!!!”

 

Rahee waved and smiled in glee although she only had four pearly whites. Aerin showed the rest of the family as they waved to the camera, greeting Jongin. Jongin's face gloomed as he saw his family together.

 

“I wish I was there with all of you. I really miss home.”

 

Jongin sighed. Their mother, suddenly out of nowhere from her seat, popped into the camera view and shouted to Jongin.

 

“Next visit home, bring your girlfriend along Jongin-ah!”

 

Jongin blushed and nodded to her instructions. 

 

“I'm coming home tomorrow, eomma. Do you want me to bring her along?”

 

“Finally! Meeting my future daughter-in-law. How about you, Jae In? When are you going to bring a fine gentleman home and introduce him to us?”

 

Jae In rolled her eyes and scoffed.

 

“Unlike all of my siblings, I am not interested in dating. At least, not yet. I'm too busy.”

 

Jongin scowled at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter