Chapter 13

The White Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

9AM, 2nd October 2014.

Aerin's parents decided to pick up Aerin at the hospital to check her out but only to see Aerin and Hansol sleeping soundfully. Hansol was still on the chair he sat the other the night. As the husband and wife entered, Hansol woke up and realised their arrival. Quickly, he stood up and bowed towards the two. Mrs.Kim walked up to him and pulled him into a hug. 

 

“Aigo, Hansol-ah. You trouble yourself too much for Aerin. You should have slept in your own bed at home and called one of us to take care of her.”

 

“It's alright, Mrs.Kim. It's never a trouble if it means taking care of Aerin.”

 

Mrs.Kim beamed at him and went back to her husband's side. Mrs. Kim was a very loving mother towards all of her children and their friends. But because she had only one son who was now a busy idol, she treated Hansol like one of her own and Hansol loved that. He felt accepted in Aerin's family. Both of their parents were not the type that would nag at their child for having love interests and besides, both Hansol and Aerin were very lovable. Even busy Mr.Kim was very fond of the young man. Mr.Kim smiled at Hansol who was looking towards sleeping Aerin. 

 

“I brought her out late last night, Mr & Mrs.Kim. I apologise, that will be the first and last time I would do such a thing.”

 

“Aw, it's alright! She barely goes out, she deserves it. And where did you both go? It must have been a fun date!”

 

Mrs. Kim had the sweetest smile on her face and warmed Hansol's heart. It was easy to open up to them as they were both very open minded. The husband and wife sat down as Hansol sat on the edge of Aerin's hospital bed away from her legs, afraid to wake her up.

 

“I took her to Hangang.”

 

Mrs. Kim nudged Mr. Kim's side and gave him a sheepish smile. The both of them chuckled, making Hansol blush. He knew they were teasing him. Due to the sounds of the two laughing, Aerin stirred in her sleep which in results one of her legs accidentally kicked Hansol's back. Hansol winced in pain as Aerin jolted awake and looking at her surroundings. She saw her parents as the two of them walked up to her and pulled her into an embrace.

 

“Happy Birthday, Aerin-ah.”

 

The two of them said in sync as they pulled away and handed her birthday present. With excitement, she lifted off the top of the gift box and revealed a snowglobe with a white rose in it. The concept was like Beauty & the Beast's red rose in the jar but instead it was a snowglobe. She thanked her parents as her mother decided to pack Aerin's belongings. Hansol came to her side and they played with the snowglobe, shaking it multiple times. Mr. Kim looked at the two with a long thought drifting in his head. Mrs. Kim noticed his husband's mental absence and asked what was the matter, making the two teenagers looking at the couple.

 

“Oh, I was just thinking about work. I'm going to make a few phone calls, if you excuse me first.”

 

As Mr. Kim left the ward, Mrs. Kim looked at Hansol and Aerin and shook her head. The two teens laughed and played with each other's fingers. Meanwhile, Mr. Kim rang his old friend who owned an entertainment business currently. After a few rings, his friend answered.

 

“Hello, Mr. Kim?”

 

“Sung-soo ah, I thought I told you to stop calling me that?”

 

“Heh, it became a habit.”

 

The two of them chuckled before proceeding with discussions.

 

“How is your company, Pledis, doing?”

 

“It's doing very well so far. We're planning to have a group debut sometime next year.”

 

Mr. Kim nodded even if he knew Han Sung-soo couldn't see. Before he continued speaking, he thought of it one last time in which he has made his final decision. 

 

“Would you consider if I were to invest into your company? We can make arrangements to discuss about this matter further.”

 

The latter delightfully agreed to make discussions with the well-known businessman. They ended the call shortly after agreeing to hold meetings soon. Mr. Kim was happy with himself and he wanted his friend to succeed in his company too. Despite Mr. Kim and Pledis' CEO's was pretty far, that did not prevent them from being golf buddies and have evening tea together. Mr. Kim also thought it would be nice to have Hansol debut successfully later. Then, Mr. Kim went to the hospital cashier and made his payments before going back to Aerin's ward to bring them home.

 

“I am finally free, Sol oppa. Can you believe it?”

 

Aerin spoke as they were in the car, on their way to the Kim's residence. Hansol smiled at the younger and ruffled her hair. Aerin scrunched her nose and fixed back her long black-ish dark brown hair. As soon as they were approaching the gates of her home, her heart pounded in excitement and her lips curved into a smile as soon as she saw a familiar building called home. It had been months since she came back and it felt like a huge gift given to her on her birthday to come home. Being away for so long made her homesick and this was her final return. She was no longer cancerous and she felt blessed to have a longer life. When she knew she was going to come back home for good, she was already planning things in her journal. 

 

As she stepped out of the car, she stared at the white house in front of her with a smile on her face. Her mother's three maids were standing outside of their house welcoming all of them home as their chaffeur carried Aerin's belongings inside. Hansol stood next to her, looking at her mesmerized expression. Mr. Kim decided to go back to his company for he had a lot of work to complete and promised to return for Aerin's birthday dinner.

 

Mr and Mrs. Kim bade each other goodbye by pecking on each other's lips whereas Aerin and Hansol only bowed to him as he left. Mrs. Kim gestured for them to come inside the house as the weather was getting colder. 

 

“Sweetie, your room is ready. You have lunch with the Chwe's later, am I right? You guys have fun while I'll be in my study.”

 

Aerin nodded to Mrs. Kim as the mother walked away to her personal study. Aerin invited Hansol to her room as she slowly walked up the stairs, nervous to see her old room. ‘It's probably very dusty in there.’ She thought. However, she remembered leaving the room with a very childish interior design. She had a Barbie bedsheets and her wallpaper was also a barbie pattern. She froze before turning her doorknob. She was bringing a boy into her childish bedroom. It was embarassing to her. At the same time, Hansol looked at her confusingly.

 

“What's wrong? You okay?”

 

She sighed in defeat and turned the doorknob, slowly opening the door. When the door was wide open, Aerin's lower lip dropped to the floor. Her entire room was re-designed to a mature styled room unlike the one she had before. She screamed her lungs out, shocking Hansol who was next to her. The maids ran all the way up to her room to check out the matter. 

 

“Miss Kim, are you alright?”

 

Arriving shortly after, her mother laughed at Aerin's shocked reaction. It was her idea to change the interior design of Aerin's room for her birthday as a surprise. She was away for months which made her mother easily had the upgrade done. Aerin ran to her mother and gave her a hug. She loved her new bedroom. The theme of the room was white with bits of pastel pink. The furniture in her room were of English styled and she had plain white bed sheets with a pastel pink comforter. On the wall, above the bed headboard, Aerin's name in white wooden block letters was hung against the pastel pink wall with two wall lamps on each end of the letters. On her right bedside table, her mother had placed a vase of fresh white roses and an antique English alarm clock. Whereas on the left, there was a few novels stacked neatly.  In the middle of her room an English patterned carpet laid on the floor and there was a chandelier hanging to brighten up the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter