Chapter 12

The White Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

1AM, Hangang River, 2nd October 2014.

Aerin's POV.

When Hansol and I got to Hangang Park, there were still people walking around and some were doing sport activities, riding bikes & of such. It was a cold Autumn night as everyone was in their coats. I looked up at Hansol, only to notice he was already staring at me. He took my hand and pulled me lightly, leading to a more quiet spot for us to sit down and enjoy the river scene. We sat down next to each other quietly as the Autumn breeze blew into our direction. It sent shivers up to my spine for it had been a long time since I was taken out of the hospital, five months to be exact. It wasn't because my family wanted me to or I wanted to, but the doctors said it would was safer if I was kept in the hospital until the cure showed results. In which, it did. That was why the doctors finally had decided to release me on my birthday. I was glad that the tumor had finally shrunk. I was cancer-free again. I smiled at the thought, resulting Hansol to notice.

 

“What are you smiling about? Wait, don't tell me. I think I know.”

 

I saw a childish smile plastered on his face, it was a side of him I always had loved. It made me feel like there was nothing to worry about in the world. 

 

“What do you THINK you know?”

 

Hansol made a funny thinking face while humming. I laughed. 

 

“Me!”

 

“Oppa!”

 

I smacked his arm as we both laughed. He really made me happy even after two years, being ‘friends’ with Hansol. He just never fails to make me enjoy his presence. If he was gone for training to be an idol, it would really because he would be gone for a month or two but he would come back during breaks. It was getting rare to see him, Hansol, as he was nearing his debut date that was supposedly to fall next year. He worked day and night to prepare for his debut, non-stop practising. I was proud of him and also my older brother, Jongin. Both of them succeeding in life, chasing their dreams. Year after year, month after month, Hansol didn't stop growing. We both kind of grew up together. Within two years of knowing Hansol, he looked a lot different now then he was before in 2012. Now, he looked a lot mature and he was growing his dyed hair. It worried me at first but deep down inside of me I was trying to prepare myself that he was going to be an idol.

 

Last year, he explained that he was gone for those months because Jongin ‘kind of’ scared him and he was also scouted by Pledis. I was happy for him but part of me was also scared to death. Back then I thought, once he was scouted he would not have any time for me and would be all busy. However, I was not foreign to this feeling. I was super close to Jongin before and I cried a lot when Jongin could not come home as SM was very strict. I called him every night before he went to sleep just to hear him talk about his tiring day or when he had a sprained foot or his back sore. It was painful to hear but he assured me that ‘all hard work will pay off’ and he was right. He was very successful just by debuting. He took our family to my favourite sushi restaurant on the day he got his first paycheck. Therefore, it took me a lot of thinking when Hansol told me, in mid of this year, that he was debuting in 2015. I soon came to accept the fact that I had to let him go at a certain point. I knew I was mature enough to think of it wisely and to know what was best for the two of us. But today wasn't the day. 

 

“Were you listening to what I said, Aerin? 'Cause I noticed your eyes were lost in the river. You okay?”

 

Hansol said to interrupt my thoughts that were exploding in my head. I nodded, but true, I was not paying attention and I was being rude. 

 

“Sorry, I didn't pay attention. May I know what you said?”

 

“We were supposed to go to LotteWorld tomorrow but my parents and Sofia,” he took a deep breath before proceeding. “They wanted to take you out for lunch, with me of course. Luckily, I had the day off tomorrow.”

 

“Is that supposed to be a good thing or should I panic?”

 

Hansol chuckled at my confused question.

 

“They won't bite, I promise.”

 

Hansol winked at which made me laughed. I knew Mrs. Choi as she was my private English tutor when I was in elementary school. We were very close as she taught me really well which was why I was a fluent English speaker. Mrs. Choi didn't know how to converse in Korean but she understood a few things because she was obviously a native American despite having a Korean husband and children who speak Korean well. English was my favourite subject and we bonded through that. I missed her and her random muttering. I always laughed when she muttered. Usually she would say something like what her menu was going to be for dinner. Although I knew Mrs.Choi since my elementary days, I only knew Hansol when I was entering middle school. That was when my tumor had just started and Mrs.Choi had had him to help tutor me instead as she had other kids to tutor. Without Mrs.Choi, I would not have m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter