Twenty Eight

Hospital Room 114

Kai lay on his bed as he stared mindlessly on his the ceiling. He’s been like this after she left. He was nervous and scared. She left him thinking about her worriedly. Worried that he won’t see her ever again. That her mom really stopped her from seeing him. He was scared that he won’t be able to touch, kiss or hug her anymore. His thoughts were disturbed when a knock was heard on his room.

“Kai,”

“Yea?”

“You have a visitor.” He stood up as he went straight to their front door. He slowly opened it and his nervousness and everything he was thinking a while ago washed away in an instant.

“So-Sojin-ah!”

“Annyeong!” She cheerfully smiled as he quickly pulled her into a hug. He buried his face on her shoulder as his nose came intact with her scent. He missed her scent. The lavender scent that she always has and he became addicted to it. He missed hugging her. He missed her. “I missed you.” He smiled as he further buried his face on her hair. “I missed you so much.” He said as he slowly broke into a sob.

“I missed you more,” She rubbed his back as she calmed him down.

 

“So, how was school?” He asked as they walked hand-in-hand through the hall. She narrowed her eyes at him as she sneered, “What school? It’s just a 5 hours lesson with one teacher,” She explained, “It’s not a school.”

He chuckled at her answer as he shook his head in amusement. “Okay, then how is your 5 hour lesson with one teacher?” He asked as she smiled at him, “It was. . okay.”

“Okay?”

“Okay.” She suddenly laughed.

“Why are you laughing?” He curiously asked as he looked at her. She shook her head as she bit her bottom lip, “I just remembered something.”

“What is it?”

“Augustus Waters defined their ‘Okay’ as their ‘Always’.” She muttered as she smiled softly. “Augustus?” He cocked an eyebrow as he gave her an inquiring look. “Who’s that?”

“A famous character from John Green’s book.”

“Ahh, books.” He said, like he just found a solution to a puzzle. “Read it. It’s good.” She suggested as he shrugged, “I’ll think about it.”

“Okay.”

“Okay.” She giggled.

“Kai! It’s you again.” A girl exclaimed as she hugged him. It was the same girl they met in the hospital. Uhm, Yoona. Her eyes turned into slits as they both engaged into a conversation, isolating her from the scene. Their voices died down as thoughts of how she would make this girl disappear in the face of the earth.

“You almost bore a hole with those glares.” He teased as she snapped back to reality. “What?” She asked dumbfounded. “You’re going to scare everybody with your glare.” He joked as she pouted. “I hate her. She’s everywhere. And I think she’s stalking you.” She blurted.

He ruffled her hair because he can’t help but fall for her cuteness more and more. “She’s not stalking me. She just took his brother’s medical form.”

“It’s still stalking. And I can’t believe you two dated.” She said, irked by the thought of them.

 

She was waiting by the lobby as she waited for Jongin to come. She got bored as she entertained herself with the white floor tiles. She tried to balance herself while walking the bold black lines as she sang a song.

“Excuse me, is Dr. Kang in?”

She immediately stopped when she heard her mother’s name being asked. She turned around and saw a familiar man by the reception area. He was wearing suit, the ones that are really for the businessman types. He looks so strict and composed but he still has this young vibe radiating from him. He waited for the nurse to make a call as he looked at his watch. He tucked his hands inside his pockets as he looked around the building. She quickly hid herself by the wall not wanting to get caught.

“You can now see her by her office, Sir.” The nurse said as she bowed. “Okay. Thanks.” He answered and left. She slowly stood up as she followed him cautiously. She noticed that he seems to know the direction towards her mother quite well as she stopped when he entered on her office. She grew curious of him as she pressed her ears by the door. She couldn’t hear them well but it seems like they were arguing about something. She slowly twisted the doorknob and slightly opened the door. She peeked through the small gap as she eavesdropped on their conversation.

“How can you show up in here all of a sudden?” Her mother cried and it seems like she was furious by the sudden appearance of him.

“I want to.” He shortly answered.

“You couldn’t just come here when you want to. Don’t you even remember what you did to us? How can you have the nerve to come here?” She shouted, she was already angry and hurt can be seen by her eyes.

“I know, and I wanted to make it up with you. I missed you. I missed her.” He calmly said. She pressed her finger on her temple as she sighed,“You already hurt the both of us but she took it real hard.”

“That’s why I’m here. I want to make it up with you, especially her.”

She inhaled through her teeth as tears were already welling up by her eyes. “You can’t! You’re already too late. You’re 16 years late.” She blurted. “I know you can’t stand to be my husband and I understand that but you could’ve stood up as her father. But you left us and lived with someone else.” Her eyes widened when she realized who the man already was. He was her father. The one who left them when he was four years old.

“I couldn’t take it, okay? I was scared. I was scared of losing her. Seeing her in that kind of condition hurt me so much and I couldn’t bear with the pain. I couldn’t. I just couldn’t.” He said as he choked a sob. Her mother was already crying, “You could’ve stayed and fight with us.”

She couldn’t take it anymore. She quickly turned around but she suddenly landed on a hard chest. She looked up and noticed who it was. “Are you okay?” He asked as she bit her lip and hurriedly ran away from him. From everybody.

“Sojin-ah!” He called and the two inside the room stopped arguing when he heard him shout for her name. They both saw Kai by the door and were surprised. Kai bowed as he quickly ran towards the direction she went. “Who is he?” He asked her as she ignored him and leaned by her messy desk.

“She heard us.”

“Who?”

“Sojin. She heard us.”

His eyes widened as he ran out of the room but she instantly grabbed his arm.  “Don’t. She must’ve heard everything. Give her some time.”

“That was my daughter. I need to see her.” He yelled as she glared at him. “She’s my daughter, too and I know that she both hate us right now. It’s better if we gave her time to calm down.” She said as she pushed some of her hair back.

“But,” He tried to argue with her, “Sojin,”

“Jongin is there. The one who she really need right now is Jongin.” She said as he gave her a questioning look, not knowing who she is talking about as she waits for a further explanation. “The kid we saw a while ago, that was Jongin, her boyfriend.”

His father just looked down and said, “Oh.”

He suddenly felt guilty because he just realized that she was already a grown up lady. He didn’t even know that her princess was already dating someone. He suddenly felt sad and angry at himself.

Maybe it was better that he didn’t show up.