Twenty One

Hospital Room 114

After a few days, Taehyun already left. As he said, he spent his remaining days with Sojin and he just let him be. Dr. Kang gave them a few minutes to go and give a farewell to Taehyun. Sojin almost cried but Taehyun told her that he want to see her smiling when he leaves and she did.

When Taehyun boarded to the plane, that’s when she broke down. Since we still had a few minutes left, he decided to take her somewhere, to cheer her up at least.

“But, Ahjussi, Mom will be mad.”

“We won’t take long.” He reassured as he held her hand and dragged her to a different destination. “What are we doing here?” She curiously asked as he looked around. “We’re going to play bowling.” He exclaimed as his friends suddenly came.

“Oh! There’s Kai!” Chanyeol said as he called for them. “Hi, Sojin!” They greeted as she bowed to them. “Come on! Let’s get our bowling shoes.” He said as he held her hand and she silently followed him. “Here’s yours.” Suho handed her shoes and she took it from him. Someone then suddenly snatched her shoes as she turned around.

“Yah! That’s my-“

She paused when he saw Kai with a playful smirk on. “Give it back.” She pouted as he smiled at her. “I’ll put it on for you.” He said as he made her sit. He crouched down as he started to pull of the laces on her shoes. “You don’t have to.” She tried to stop him but he ignored him.

“I want to do everything for you right now. I want to be there for you. So, please let me.” He said without looking or even gave a small glance to her. She just nodded and let him do it. Kai slightly smiled as he continued.

“Okay, we’re going to divide our team into three.” Baekhyun said as they started to talk with each other, creating noise around the area. Sojin just watched them argue with each other, trying to decide who will not play because of the uneven team members. “Okay guys! Stop!” Suho shouted and everyone hushed down.

“Let’s just play rock, paper, scissors.” He suggested and they agreed. Sojin then hesitantly raised her arm as everyone turned their attention towards her. “Can I just watch? I don’t know how to play anyways.” She said as everyone kept silent. “Eish! Don’t worry, I’m going to teach you.” Chanyeol exclaimed as she pulled her towards the game area.

“First, you pick the bowling ball with your hands positioned like this.” He explained as he showed her the proper way of handling it. She just stood there as she looked behind, meeting Kai’s attention towards her. “You can do it.” He mouthed as he gave him a smile. A warm smile.

“Go on. Pick a ball, Sojin.” He said as she carefully picked one. Her arm almost fell out when she removed it from its place. “Woah!” She cried. Kai quickly ran up to her as he tried to help her. “Are you okay?” He worriedly asked as she looked at him and nodded. “Just be careful.” He muttered as she nodded again.

She carried the ball next to Chanyeol so he could guide her. “Okay?” He asked and she nodded. “Let’s continue then.” He said he told her the proper angles, ways and other strategies to get a strike. “Okay, I’m going to go for it now.” He said as he threw the ball onto the lane with poise.

“Strike! Strike! Strike!” They all cheered but they all laughed when the ball went into the side, knocking a zero number of pins. She just let out a soft giggle as he rubbed the back of his neck. “I guess I threw the ball a bit too hard.”

“Can I?”

“Sure.”

She did what Chanyeol taught him awhile ago as she released the ball from her hands. They all anticipated for her performance as the ball knocked at all the pins. “Strike!” Baekhyun shouted and they all cheered. They jumped from their seats as the all went up to high-five her. “Okay! Let’s decide on who will be on each other teams.”

“I’ll go with Sojin.” Baekhyun quickly said as he pulled her towards him. “Me too.” Chanyeol said as he joined them. Baekhyun cringed, “No. We’ll definitely lose if you join us.”

“Yah! That was just the first try!” He yelled. “We’re still going to lose.” He shouted back. Sojin tensed up as she watched them fight. Kai quickly pulled her out from them as they all left them and started to form their teams.

Kai, Sojin, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were the first team. Luhan, Sehun, Chen, and Tao were the second team. Xiumin, Lay, D.O and Suho were the last team. Kris decided not to play because it wasn’t his style. As expected from the galaxy dragon.

The four of them huddled up as their team leader, “Baekhyun” said a few encouraging words. Sojin slowly looked at Kai who was half-busy listening to Baekhyun’s speech. Kai suddenly noticed her as he turned and gave her a smile. She shyly looked away and she turned his attention back to their leader. The game is to knock one to ten numbers of pins and whoever completes is first, wins. The first player was Kai and he knocked five pins. Luhan’s team cheered when Tao got a strike. The game continued and their team was far behind.

“Okay, guys we need to focus. We need to win this.” Baekhyun started his speech again as Sojin softly giggled. “What?” Kai asked as she meekly laughed. “Nothing. I didn’t know bowling was this fun.” She said as Kai laughed with her. “Come on, Hyung. Loosen up. It’s just a game.” He said as he sighed, “You’re right. Let’s just have fun while it last.”

It was Sojin’s turn again. She breathed in and out before throwing the ball. They intently watched the ball roll onto lane as it knocked them all out. Her teams cheered as they ran up to her to give her a hug. They all jumped around, thinking that already won when Sojin just had a strike and they are still far behind. Players took turn and Luhan’s team won. The losing team just sat there with their shoulder deflated.  “Well, at least we all had fun.” Suho tried to cheer up the other teams. “Yea, I had fun.” Sojin smiled as they all nodded.

“So, who wants to eat?” He asked as they all raised their hands, creating another unending argument with each other. Kai checked his phone when he realized that an hour already passed at her curfew. His eyes rounded and nervously gulped. “Sojin,” He called as she turned to her, “Hm?”

“We better go, now.” He said as he quickly stood up. “We’re going now. See you guys at the dorm.” He said. “Why? Aren’t you going to eat then?” D.O worriedly asked. “Emergency. Just order something for me. I’ll catch up with you guys.” He said as he dragged Sojin with her. He doesn’t even know if he can eat after this. It’s like the first time he took Sojin out, he’s not scared of her mother but he’s scared that something might happen to her again.

“Will you relax?” Sojin said as she tried to calm him down. “How can I relax when I disobeyed your mother again? And what if something bad happens to you again?” He anxiously said as he looked at her. “It’ll be fine. I’ll be fine.” She said as she held his hand. The ride towards the hospital was silence but she could still feel Kai shaking agitatedly.

When they reached the hospital, Nurse Jung quickly ran up towards them. “Where have you been? Dr. Kang is looking for you guys.” She nervously asked as Kai started to gulp hard. “She wants you two in her office.” She said and they looked at each other. “Why?” She asked but she just shrugged.

The two entered inside and the person that they fear the most is seating just a few meters away from them, busy writing some of the folders that were on her desk. “Why are you two late?” She asked with her attention still fixed at the papers.

“I.. I decided to bring her out for awhile, Dr. Kang.”

“Awhile? But you didn’t even check your time.”

“I..”

Sojin butted in. “We got caught up from the fun, mom.”

“And what did you two do?”

“It wasn’t just us, mom. He brought his friends, too. We. . we went bowling.”

“Did you have fun?” She asked as Sojin was taken aback by her question. Why is her mother suddenly interested? Yes, mom,” She answered. “Okay. You can go now and have some rest.” She said as she nodded. “Yes, mom.” She worriedly looked at Kai as he turned around towards the door. She held his hand for a second before leaving.

“Mr.Kim?”

“Yes, Dr. Kang?”

“Thank you.”

His eyes widened when those two words came out from . “Excuse me?” He gulped. “I want to thank you for taking care of my daughter, but I want you to stay away from her.” She said and his throat started to become dry. Words couldn’t come out from him as his breath started to get heavy.