Thirteen

Hospital Room 114

It was a normal day at the center and he was busy drawing with the kids. He was helping them color their drawing so that they could post it on the wall.

“You should color it gently so that it wouldn’t overlap.” He instructed as he showed it himself. “Oppa, Hyunjong doesn’t want to share the crayons.” Mimi cried. “Hyunjong, you should share it with the others.” Kai stated as the kid pouted and placed it on the table.

A head suddenly popped in through the door, getting his attention as he unknowingly smiled. “Oh! Ahjussi!” She exclaimed as soon as she saw the guy she was looking for.  She rushed herself towards him as he inwardly chuckled at her sudden cuteness.

“What are you guys doing?” She asked when she noticed the kids’ serious look as they work on their drawing. “Just a little bit of drawing.” He answered. “Drawing? I like to draw!” She beamed as she sat on the open space for her to draw. “Here, Noona, you can draw with this.” Hyunseung came towards him and gave him a black paper and some colors. “Thank you, Hyunseung.” She smiled as she patted his head.

How can her attention change that easily? She was just coming in to talk to him but as soon as she saw them doing something else she automatically forgot the reason why she was there in the first place. He shook his head at her sudden interest to draw.

“Unnie, here’s Oppa’s drawing of a giraffe.” Yoon placed a paper next to her as she looked at him. “PWAHAHAHA!” She laughed loudly as his eyebrow’s twitched in annoyance. He knew he doesn’t know how to draw that beautifully but she doesn’t need to rub it on his face.

“Yah! Do you really need to laugh that loud?” He blurted as he snatched the paper away from him. She wiped an invisible tear at the corner of her eyes as she patted her tummy. “Well, I have to admit it, I feel sorry for that giraffe. How can you draw it like that? It looks horrible!” He scoffed as he gritted his teeth. “I know it’s horrible, you don’t have to rub it on my face.” He defended.

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry, Ahjussi.” She said as her laughter died down. “Why are you here anyway?” He asked a bit harsh. “Oh right!” She snapped as she pulled out a paper from her pocket. “Tada!” She showed the paper in front of him as he cocked an eyebrow.

“What’s this?” He asked as he took the paper from her. “It’s the result of my exam last week.” She happily answered. “And I got three perfect scores!” She exclaimed.

“Wow! That’s cool!”

“Yup. So, you’re taking me out! Yaayy!” She cheered as she danced happily around the room. He smiled knowing that his motivation for her worked. “Yea, I didn’t forget our deal.” He answered.

“So, when are we going out?” She excitedly asked. “This Saturday.” He shortly answered. “Really? I’m so excited!” He exclaimed, with joy radiating out from the room. Her little dance was interrupted when she suddenly realized something. “I forgot.”

“What is it?”

“I still need to talk to my mom about this.”

Her aura suddenly changed as she pouted and her shoulder slumped. “What about it?” He asked as he sat next to her. “My mom doesn’t want me to go outside.” She answered. “So? She won’t know.” He calmly stated. “You don’t know, do you?” She stated as she looked at him. “Don’t know what?”

“My mom is the head of this hospital. So she knows my every move.”

His eyes widened in surprise as he tried to sync it in. So, if her mother is the head, then….they owns this hospital. He tried his best to sync all of it in. It means that they all know her. It means that she control everything, well, not everything. It means that they are freaking rich, and he is in their territory right now.

Well, this is going to be one heck of a ride.

 

 

She let out a shaky breathe as she stared at the blue door in front of her. She let a deep sigh as she nodded her head, knowing that she can do it. She balled her hand as she knocked on the wooden door two times. “Come in.” A firm voice responded. She bit her lip as she twisted the doorknob. She lowered her head as she went inside. The door closed making a clicked sound as the nameplate on the door shone, and it read ‘KANG SUNYE, M.D.’

Her heart beat was fast as she came face to face with her mother. She was busy with some files that were on her desk as she scribbled some things on the paper. She fiddled with the hem of her shirt as made circles on the ground with her pink slippers.

“Umma.”

The woman stopped writing as she looked up, finally noticing the figure in front of her. “Oh, Sojin.” She said as she looked at her daughter. Her mother has changed a lot, but she never fails to look so young. “Is there something wrong, dear?” She curiously asked. “Nothing’s wrong, Umma.”

“How are your exams?” She asked as she intertwined her fingers together. “Good. I got a perfect score in all of them.”

“That’s good!” She smiled. “That’s why I came here.” She added. “You wanted me to know about your score?” She asked as she shook her head. “No! I..I wanted to ask something from you.” She answered. “A price?”

“Sort of.”

“And what is that?”

She gulped as she bit her lip and looked down. She waited for her to talk as she watched how she fiddled with the hem of her shirt. “Come on, sweetie, what is it?” She repeated her question.

“I want to go outside.”

Her expression suddenly changes when she heard her answer. Her lips formed into a thin line as she tried to think for her answer, which is obviously a no. “I’m sorry, Sojin, but you can’t.”

“But, mom..”

“Sojin, you know it’s not allowed for you to go outside. We’ve talked about this a hundred times.”

“Yea, mom, but this will be my first time to go and be with a friend.”

“A friend? And who is this friend?”

“He’s a guy who is volunteering at the center.”

“Forget it, Sojin. You’re not going out and that’s final.” She blurted as she sighed. She lowered her head, “Okay, mom.” She turned around and walked out from the door. She quietly closed and the door feeling disappointed with her.

“So, how was it?” He asked as he stood up from the bench. She shook her head as she looked down, “I’m sorry, Ahjussi, but my mom doesn’t want me to go out.” She said as she slowly walked out.

He sighed as he watched her walk down the hall. He turned his attention by the door that she just came out from as he breathed deeply. He gave himself an encouraging nod before lifting his fist to knock on the door.