Twenty Two

Hospital Room 114

Kai stood there frozen as he tried to sync it all in. He was motionless and his heart started to beat quickly. He opened his mouth but he can’t seem to talk. He looked down and sighed as all his blood started to rise.

“I know that this is all of a sudden, but I’m doing you a favor.” She said and Kai looked at her. “Why?” She gave her a curious look. “Why can’t I be with her right now?”

“Because. . she’ll get hurt if you keep being around, and eventually, you will too. “She answered and his eyes widened. “Please, it’s for the best. Both of you.” She said and his hands were balled up into a fist.

“I’m willing to get hurt. . if it means being with her right now.”

She was surprised by his answer as her eyes widened. She looked down and as she sighed. “Mr. Kim, I’m her mother and I know what is best for my daughter. Please, I’m begging you to respect my decision.” She said as she looked at him with pleading eyes.

“If that’s what you want. I’m sorry for meeting and being with your daughter, Dr. Kang. I’m leaving now.” He bowed and quickly left her office. He leaned by the door as he tried to hold the tears that are threatening to fall. He raked his hair backwards as he let out a heavy breath. He stood straight as he started walking by the deserted hall.

“Ahjussi!”

A voice suddenly echoed through the hall as a girl ran towards her. He stopped for a while and continued walking. “Wait!” She called as she quickly grabbed his arm. “What did my mom say?” She asked as she looked at him. He didn’t respond as he just looked at the tiled floor. “Ahjussi! Why aren’t you talking?” She shook her intensely as he just let her. “Did she scold you? Was she mad at us?” She asked as she started to search for his eyes under his black, slightly disheveled hair.

Her eyes widened when he saw his red eyes and he quickly looked away. “Eh? Were you cr-“ Before she could complete her question, he hurriedly pulled her into a hug as her eyes broadened in shock. “Ah-ahjussi, is something wrong?” She worriedly asked as she was curious by his sudden action.

“Shh. Let me hold you like this for a while.” He said as she didn’t argue and let him hug her. She slowly rested her head onto his chest as he pulled her closer. “I’m going to miss you.” He mumbled quietly, not wanting her to hear him.

“Ahjussi.”

“Hm?”

“I like you, too.”

He looked at her and smiled. “Whyyy? Do you know it already?” She pouted cutely as he nodded like a kid. “You don’t know how long I waited for you to say that. It’s been driving me crazy.” He confessed as she giggled. “Sorry.” She cutely said as he kissed her forehead and leaned his forehead against hers with his arms still wrapped around her. “You drive me crazy.”

They were holding hands on their way out of the hospital as she smiled at their intertwined hands. “Ahjussi?” She called. “Hm?” He responded. “Did mom made you upset?” She anxiously asked as he looked at her. “No.” He shook his head. “They why do you look sad a while ago?” She asked as he chuckled. “You really a persistent, are you?” She laughed as she bit her lip and nodded.

“Let’s forget about it, okay? It was nothing.” He lied as she wasn’t still sure if he should believe him. “Are you sure?” She asked again. “Yesss!” He exclaimed. They stopped when they already reached the entrance door of the hospital. He turned around as he gave her one look towards her. He stared at her lovingly as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She smiled at him as she stared at his eyes deeply.

“Will you miss me?”

He asked and she nodded.

“Will you think about me when you go to bed?”

She nodded.

“Will you dream about me when you sleep?”

She nodded.

“Will you wait for me?”

“Yahh! You’re scaring me.”

“Don’t be scared. I’ll always be here for you.”

“Why are you being like this all of a sudden?”  

He smirked as he leaned down close to her. “Goodnight, Sojin.” He whispered and then he slowly pecked her blushing cheeks and quickly pulled away from her. “Goodnigh, Ahjussi.” She softly said as she smiled. He’ll miss her. He’ll miss her voice. He’ll miss her smile. He’ll miss everything about her.