Nineteen

Hospital Room 114

Ever since Kai met this new rival of his, he thought that he needs to bring his A game if he doesn’t to be defeated by this less attractive guy. He devised a plan while he has his day off that day. He was sitting on the living room with his yellow legal pad, typical Ted Mosby style.

Sehun then came in with a bitten apple on his hand as he chewed the piece of fruit inside his mouth loudly. He saw him with a serious face as he stared at the pad. “What are you doing?” He curiously asked as he sat next to him. He cautiously peeked at the paper as Kai quickly shoved it beside him. “Eyyyy~ are you doing some kind of plan to beat your less attractive rival?” He joked but Kai kept silent.

Sehun’s eyes widened as he choked on his apple. “What the heck! You are!” He wiped the crumbs on his lips with his sleeves.  “You’re such a dork, Kai.” He blurted.  “Shut up, Sehun!”

“If you think you can beat him with you notes in that legal pad, then you’re absolutely wrong.” He said as he raised an eyebrow, “Why is that?”

“When you’re busy here writing a bunch of scribbles on that pad, that guy is already busy sticking his with Sojin. He’s obviously with her right now, and just right ahead of you.” He answered and he realized that he was totally right. “What do you think should I do now?” He asked, feeling hopeless already. “Go after her, duh.” The younger answered in a mocking manner. 

“You’re right! No more legal pads!” He said as he stood up from the couch with a boosted confidence. “I’m leaving now, bye.” He said and ran to the door. Sehun then noticed the yellow pad on the couch as he quickly picked it up. He flipped the page and read the notes that were written. “How to win Sojin: 1. Bring her some homebaked cookies. 2. Give her your grandmother’s heirloom as a sign of your love, probably some earrings. What the heck, hyung? What kind of dumb ideas are these? Tsk. You’re such a loser.” He threw the pad and left the room.

 

He ran towards the hospital and he should’ve taken the bus. That was a dumb mistake. He then stopped in front of his destination as he tried to catch his breath. “Should’ve taken the bus.” He muttered. He entered the glass door as he searched for her. He then saw Nurse Jung by the reception as she was busy with some file of records.

“Nurse Jung.” He tapped her shoulder as she turned around frantically. “Oh, it’s you. Hello, Mr. Kim.” She bowed, tiredly. “Are you okay?” He asked as she nodded. “Yes, just having a lack of sleep, but, I’m okay.” 

He suddenly felt sorry for her. “I’m sorry, Nurse Jung.” He muttered. “It’s okay. If you’re looking for Sojin, he’s with. . .” She paused for a moment as she waited for him to guess it. “. . .Taehyun.” He said as his blood suddenly boils just by saying his name. “Yup, that kid.” He thanked her and left to find her by the 5th floor.

He saw them on her room watching some kind of comedy/tragic movie. He knocked by the door just to ruin their moment. They both turned around as Sojin greeted me. “Busy?” He asked. “Do you want to join us?” She asked as he patted the seat next to her. “My pleasure.” He smirked as he sat in between them. Taehyun then scooted away from him as he cleared his throat. “What movie is this?” He asked as he placed some popcorn in my mouth. “Miracle in Cell No. 7.” She answered. “Oh, okay.” He shortly said as the movie rolled in.

A few minutes of the movie, he started dozing off. She shoved her elbow towards Kai to wake him up. “Eyy~ if you’re going to sleep then go and take my bed, Ahjussi.” She said as he shook his head. “I’m not.” He blurted as he slapped his cheeks. “Seriously, dude, just go and sleep if you’re that tired.” He said as he turned and glared at him. “I’m watching, okay?” He sternly said as he shrugged.

Kai started to get teary eyed as he watched the movie. “Ahjussi, are you crying?” She asked as she looked at him. “No.” He sniffed. Taehyun reached over to give him a tissue. He cautiously took it as he gave him a pat. “It’s okay, dude.” He said. Kai can’t help but to let his tears ran down on his cheeks. “This is so sad.” He muttered as he looked away.

She then slowly reached for his hand and held it. “It’s okay.” She mouthed as she looked at him. He was surprised by her sudden action as he stared on to her eyes even though he can’t see her perfectly because of the dark. She smiled at him as he did the same.

During the rest of the movie, she held his hand to give him comfort and he liked it. “Ha, in your face, Taehyun.” He thought as he looked at their intertwined hands.