week three: part vi

Let's Play House!

a/n: u all know i don't proof read so enjoy the chap (super sorry for the late update!! lots of things to do) but thank you so much for sticking with this story guys!

p.s. im kinda scared how this turned out bcz i think i wrote mostly all of this in my sleep-drunk state. 


The EXO members gather around the managers the next morning, begging them to have a shorter filming day so that they could enjoy the last day without any worries. The managers somewhat agree, saying that they'll cut out one of the trivial challenges (they were thinking of doing that paper-game). They agreed to just do the main challenge and call it a day by noon.

"I also have an announcement to make," Chanyeol says, straightening his posture so he can tower over half of the members. Junmyeon rubs his head while Yixing looks at him in confusion. What announcement?

"I--well, my family and I--decided to--"

"Quit the game?" Baekhyun asks.

"What--no," Chanyeol replies. "I was going to say that we wanted to change our family name!"

"What?" Junmyeon and Yixing both ask, heads snapping towards Chanyeol. Jongin merely looks at his hyung with curious eyes.

"I figured that our name was pretty boring compared to the other families, so I thought that we should be called the Pistachio Mafia. Doesn't that sound better?"

Pistachio Mafia. Mafia?

"It doesn't seem like you talked it over with your family," the Chinese manager says, a smile on his face. "But we'll take it since it sounds catchier than Pistachio Family."

"We'll have to announce it once filming starts," the Korean manager says.

It's nine-fifteen in the morning and they all just finished breakfast at the dining area of the hotel. They make their way to their next venue, the beach park. The park isn't crowded, so they can breathe. For now.

They start filming and their managers announce the change of Pistachio Family's name, now Pistachio Mafia, to the international public. They didn't waste time, just like they promised, and told them the main challenge for today.

"It's like a scavenger hunt," the Korean manager tells them.

Immediately, Sehun, Jongin, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun exchanged looks. Oh man, they love games like these. The others continue to focus solely on the managers.

"We have three hidden photos here in the park," the Chinese manager informs them. "Find what you see in the pictures and follow the clues. Bring whatever it is you find to us."

"We'll be waiting in the lobby. It's too hot to be outside," the Korean manager says while wiping at his forehead. "Have fun hunting till noon!"

"Do we start?" Baekhyun eagerly asks, fixing the cap on his head. When the managers give them the go signal, Baekhyun instantenously hops away.

"Zitao and I will look over here, and you two scout that area," Kris instructs his family. Sehun drags Kyungsoo by the arm, heading towards the opposite side of the park.

"I'm going to check around the trees and lamposts," Junmyeon tells them. "Someone check the playground, the other one the benches, and the last one on people."

"On people?" Jongin exclaims. "Why would they hide it on people?"

"Is there a reason not to?" Junmyeon asks. "I mean, we can't really know what's going to happen when they plan things."

"I'm going to start looking," Yixing says. He doesn't say where, but he heads towards the benches.

"Let's go Pistachio Mafia," Chanyeol cheers, heading to the playground.

"I am not going to check people," Jongin says to Junmyeon. "Not a chance."

In the end, Junmyeon manages to make Jongin "check" the people if they had any of the pictures.

"Chen, did you find anything?" Xiumin asks, wiping his forehead with a handkerchief.

"Not yet," he replies. Xiumin unconsciously uses the back of his handkerchief to wipe Chen's forehead. "Thanks, Minseok ah," he says happily, eyes twinkling.

"Please don't call me Min--"

"Eomma! Appa!" yells Luhan, alerting the other goups as he runs towards Chen and Xiumin. He waves the photo in front of them. "I found one!"

Baekhyun suddenly comes running towards them, nearly running the other EXO members over. His eyes are wide, a big grin on his face, and he can't wait to start the actual scavenger hunt.. "Alright, let's go find this!"

"What's in the picture?" Xiumin asks while he and Chen peer at it. It was a picture of a food stand; there was an old Korean lady with curly hair and a huge smile on her face. She was selling hoddeok, and it looked delicious in the picture. Chen notices faint indents on the picture, so he flips the picture on the back.

"What does it say?" Baekhyun asks.

"'Ask her for the next clue.'"

"Well, we have to find her first," Xiumin says. "Does it say anything else?" Chen shakes his head. They glance at one another, not exactly knowing what or how to conquer their problem. Chen clears his throat and suggests his plan.

"You all have your phones with you, right?" he asks.

They all nod their heads, simultaneously feeling for their pockets to check if they actually have their phones with them.

"We'll all split up to find her. When one of us finds her, we call one another, okay?"

"Understood," Baekhyun replies, saluting. He's about to set off until Chen pulls him back, telling him what part of the area to scout. He salutes again and is off running to find their next clue.

"I found it," Yixing announces, pushing himself up from the ground. The Cheng Dynasty hurriedly exit the park to execute their plan (and hopefully find their next clue within a couple of minutes) when they heard Yixing.

The Pistachio Mafia gathers aound Yixing, trying to get a good look of the picture. The picture shows an alley with a dumpster. Junmyeon scrunches his nose. A dumpster? This day simply isn't his day, huh? But what makes this dumpster different? Junmyeon scans the picture thoroughly and sees 094 printed in white letters.

"The dumpster has 094 at the bottom right, you see?" Junmyeon says, pointing at the edge of the dumpster. They blink, taking in the new information, and nod. "Any other information?"

"There's a back," Chanyeol says, taking the photo from Yixing and flipping it over. It says, You have to be there before the time the workers collect the garbage.

"When do they collect the garbage?" Junmyeon asks worriedly. Aw , they have time limitations.

"And how many alleys with dumpsters are there in this place?" Jongin asks.

"I don't know," Chanyeol answers. "Let me google it."

"You think that would help?" Jongin asks, already pulling his phone out to google his question.

"Kids, we need to hurry," Yixing says and Junmyeon almost laughs at his mannerism (but he doesn't because they do need to hurry).

"Should we split up or what?" Junmyeon asks Yixing. He looks back at him with furrowed eyebrows.

"I think so. That would help."

"Alright, you guys have your phones?" Junmyeon asks. 

"I got it!" Sehun yells, jumping up from the bushes and running towards his family.

"Yes; now let's split up," Jongin says, tapping his foot on the ground impatiently. "I'll call you guys if I find it."

"I'll see you guys in a few," Chanyeol waves, jogging to the opposite direction. Jongin waves as well and shoots off into a run. Junmyeon and Yixing catch each other's gaze and smile, awkwardly bidding each other a temporary farewell.

"Is this a store?" Sehun asks. He notices that his family is the last one at the park; damn it! He wants to win that free trip! (Insert Sehun's sad face.)

"It looks like a restaurant. A tiny one," Zitao says. He doesn't understand how Sehun thought of a store when there are clearly dining tables in the picture. There's a man in the picture in a waiter uniform.

"There's a note on the back," Kyungsoo tells them, having eavesdropped on the other families. Sehun flips the picture over and Kyungsoo reads it out loud, "'The man in the picture has your next clue.'"

"So all we're doing is looking for the restaurant?" Sehun asks.

"It'll be easy," Kris says. "We can all stick together. You know how there's a specific area where restaurants are lined up in every boardwalk or whatever."

"And we know where the restaurants are," Zitao says. Their excitement (of catching up and possibly winning) bubbles in their guts and soon, Sehun is leading the way to the restaurants.


Cheng Dynasty.

It's been more than thirty minutes and Baekhyun is still on the lookout for the lady with the hoddeok stand. It's getting harder to maneuver in the boardwalk since people are starting to come out of the hotels; the day is still young and the sun continues to bake Baekhyun underneath its rays.

"I've walked through this whole area," Baekhyun says to himself, eyes searching from one spot to another, "and I haven't seen any carts." He decides to call Chen for a 'relocation' of his assignment.

"You found her?" Chen instantenously asks. He sounds hopeful, and Baekhyun wants nothing else but to break it to him.

"No, actually, I want to scout another area. I've looked through this place a few times now and I still haven't seen her," Baekhyun explains. "And no one called me yet, so I'm guessing you guys haven't found her either."

"Stay there. Just fifteen more minutes," Chen tells him. Baekhyun pretends not to hear him. It's a valid reason after all; the crowd is getting bigger and noisier.

"Appa? I can't hear you," he raises his voice for optimum effect, "you said it's okay to go to another area?"

"No, I didn't--"

"What? You did? Okay, thanks appa," Baekhyun replies happily. "I'll call you if I find her," he hangs up. He turns to the cameraman and gives him a thumbs up. "And that is how you get consent from your parents."


Pistachio Mafia.

Jongin finds himself back in square one. (To be honest, he's stuck.) The alleys with dumpsters he visited were useless, and he was starting to panic as he checked the time.

That is, until he sees a guy in one of those garbage man uniforms. He first thinks of following the man, to experience the feeling of being a spy, but then he abandons the thought because he sees Baekhyun at the end of the block.

Jongin quickly goes to the man and taps his shoulder.

"Uh, yes?" the garbage man asks. He looks surprised and he curiously secures his cap on his head.

"How familiar are you with the dumpsters here?" Jongin asks.

The man scratches the back of his head. "Fairly familiar. Why?"

"I need to know where the 094 dumpster is," Jongin tells him. "I have to be there before they collect the garbage."

"Hm, why is that?" the man asks. When Jongin answers that he doesn't know, the man shrugs and says, "I think that dumpster is in the other block. It's the one farthest from the beach."

"That far?" Jongin asks.

"Not that far, really," the man replies with a smile. "But if you noticed, in one block, all the dumpster numbers have the same first and second number."

"Like in this block, it starts with 05," Jongin says. He checks the time again. "And what time do you guys collect the garbage?"

The man checks his own watch, and he turns back to Jongin. "Around this time."

Jongin bites his tongue to prevent himself from cursing. "Alright, thank you."

"You have a nice day," the man says and he continues on with his work. Jongin fumbles with his phone and calls Yixing.

"Hello?"

"Appa, who's at the street farthest from the beach?" Jongin asks, eyes darting around. He wanted to run, but he can't seem to. 

"Junmyeon is, why?" Yixing replies.

"They're about to collect the garbage," Jongin explains, "and he needs to--"

"Hold on, he's calling right now."

"What--okay," Jongin sighs. Maybe Junmyeon saw the pattern. Because, really, he likes to read and he's good at picking out details to form a big picture. They hang up and, not a second later, Chanyeol calls.

"I can't find it. And the garbage collectors already took the trash," Chanyeol tells him.

"Well we won't find it because we're at the wrong places," Jongin replies.

"Huh? Why?" But Jongin cuts the call short (he's sure that Chanyeol will eat him up for hanging up on him) because Yixing is calling him again.

"Junmyeon has the clue. It's a burger place. We'll meet in front of the eatery with the six-pound milkshakes," Yixing tells him. "Junmyeon's letting Chanyeol know about it. We're on our way."

"The place where we did our first challenge?" Jongin asks.

"Yup, that," Yixing replies. He hears Yixing mumble excuses.

"I'll see you then," Jongin says. He ends the call when Baekhyun finally sees him. He smiles smugly. "Hi Baek."

"What are you doing here?" Baekhyun asks. He examines the tone accomponied in Jongin's greeting. Arrogant kid.

"Just on my way to the next block," Jongin replies. "I'll see you at the lobby," he waves and avoids the push that Baekhyun attempted.


Panda Wu Family.

Forty-five minutes into the scavenger hunt (there's too much damn restaurants), the Panda Wu Family finally finds their target. Well, their target's restaurant.

Their target, per se, isn't even in the restaurant yet.

"I think we should order some snacks while we wait for him," Zitao says. Sehun can't help but agree.

"But we might miss him," Kris argues. Kyungsoo seconds his statement.

"How can we miss him if he works here?" he retaliates. "Come on, it's just snacks."

"Come on, appa," Sehun urges. He just wants food. Or the food wants him. Either way, Sehun plus food equals happy everything. 

"Fine," sighs Kris. They finally wave a waiter over and order for food (snacks). Sehun claps his hands happily, and Kyungsoo pats his stomach.

"I wonder if the other guys already found their clues," Kyungsoo thinks out loud.

"Probably, since we're the last one to find ours," replies Sehun. He shrugs his shoulders. "But at least we're out of the heat."

"At least," agrees Zitao.

Their snacks arrive a few minutes later; grilled chicken sandwiches and cold drinks--but they forget about their appetites because the waiter who's serving them is the waiter from the picture.

"Here are your--"

"You!" Sehun exclaims, pointing at the waiter. The waiter must've been expecting them since he smiles in return.

"Yes, sir," he says. He places their orders on the table and Sehun starts to eat his food. He'll let his "parents" talk to the waiter while he enjoys his food.

Kris pulls out the picture from his pocket and hands it to the waiter. "Our managers wanted us to find you."

The waiter smiles and nods, taking the picture and flipping it over to the note. "Yes, well, do you want me to tell you now or let you enjoy your food first?"

"Please tell us now," Zitao says. Their Korean iss accented, but their Korean "sons" aren't helping. Food is their main priority right now. (Hungry idiots; they didn't listen to what Zitao said before they started filming.)

"You have to go to the movie theatre. And you have to go inside. The next clue is in there," says the waiter.

"I know where the place is," Kyungsoo says after he finishes consuming the piece he ate. "They only play one movie. It's a small theatre."

"So that's where Jongin took you?" Kris asks. Zitao elbows Kris.

"Are there any more that you know?" Zitao asks.

"I want to say yes, but that's all I know," the waiter replies. He steps back with the tray. "Are there anything else I can get for you? Desserts?"

"No, thank you. We're fine," Zitao says. He's about to grab his chicken sandwich when Kris speaks up.

"Can we have these two chicken sandwiches for take out? Like, put them in a box?" Kris asks, not knowing if his Korean is right or wrong. He's trying to make them understandable. "We're in a hurry."

"Oh, no problem," the waiter says and takes their plates (except for Kyungsoo and Sehun, who are both finishing up their chicken sandwiches).

"We'll eat them on the way," Kris tells Zitao. Zitao nods and holds back a sigh.

"We should eat here again," Kyungsoo wipes the corners of his mouth and his fingers. "The sandwich tastes good. I want to try the other stuff they make."

"Me too," follows Sehun, also wiping his fingers clean.

The waiter comes back two minutes later with a box in his hand. "Here are the chicken sandwiches," he says and hands them the receipt. 

Zitao takes the box and Kris takes the receipt. He pays, just because he's the appa of the house.


Cheng Dynasty.

"I cornered her!

Chen did not expect that from Baekhyun's phone call. "Wh--what did you say? Can you repeat that?"

"I found the lady!" Baekhyun yells. "I'm with her right now. Here, I'll ask her some questions about the clue. Just let the others know that I found her."

"Alri--" Baekhyun hangs up before Chen can reply. He furrows his eyebrows; Baekhyun has been hanging up on him a lot today. That's so not cool. (He'll talk to Baekhyun about it later.) He contacts Xiumin first and tries to do a three-way call with Luhan so he doesn't need to repeat the same thing. Luckily, it works.

"Hello?" Xiumin asks.

"I'm here," Luhan replies. Their voices are a bit static-y and a little hard to hear, but regardless, Chen continues on.

"Baekhyun found the lady," Chen tells them. "He says he's gonna call me back when he gets the next clue."

"Why didn't he give the clue first before letting us know?" Xiumin sighs.

Luhan hums in agreement.

"I'll just call you two back," Chen answers. His phone starts vibrating and he checks the caller ID. "Baekhyun's calling. I'll be in touch with you two again, okay?"

They mumble their consents and Chen answers Baekhyun's call.

"She said we have to go to a swimming shop. Like, the ones with swim suits and swimming-related stuff," explains Baekhyun. "But I don't know any shops like that."

"The shop where we bought our swimming trunks is a shop," Chen tells him. The place isn't that far, not from where he's stationed, and he doesn't think that the others are that far either. "Do you still remember?"

"Oh yeah!" exclaims Baekhyun. "Yeah, I remember now. I'll call Luhan to let him know we're meeting there."

"Alright, I'll call Minseok," Chen says.

Baekhyun snorts on the other end of the line. "You guys aren't too close, now are you?" He hangs up again before Chen can reply. He puts off the comment for later (Baekhyun, you're in for it) and calls Xiumin, informing him about the new destination they need to go to.

He hopes that it's the last clue.


Pistachio Mafia.

"What are we supposed to do here?" Chanyeol asks as soon as he saw Yixing and Junmyeon.

"Ask around, I don't know," Junmyeon replies. "The clue just said to go here."

"How did you find the clue?" Jongin asks curiously. "Did you have to get into the dumpster and search for it?" he teases.

"No," Junmyeon says. "Thankfully, I only had to look around the dumpster and not inside." He makes a face. "It stinks there."

"We know," Yixing says, taking a whiff of his own shirt. It's a good thing that the trash-smell doesn't stick for too long. He pushes the door open, entering the small eatery they occupied just three days ago.

"If we have to finish another six-pound milkshake, I'll--"

Jongin cuts off Junmyeon. "I'll definitely take up the challenge. It's so hot outside," he says.

Yixing, on the other hand, is on point and is already asking the staff about the clue. The manager tells them that they need to help out in the kitchen to get what they need.

"We don't need to cook or anything, right?" Chanyeol asks.

The manager smiles (ominously in Chanyeol's opinion), and he replies with, "We'll see."

They enter the kitchen and the staff, which consists  six staff members, and they bow in greeting. The manager tells the family that they will be taking his four of his employees spots for forty-five minutes. Yixing quickly calculates how long that will take them and he comes up with fifteen minutes before noon. They'll be able to make it to the lobby . . . he hopes.

"Pick which spot you want to fill, and my employees will guide you until you can do it by yourself. Of course, you have to do it by yourself at least once during the forty-five minutes," the manager explains. He watches as the young males pick their jobs and he starts the timer. The boys start working.

Jongin doesn't know what to do, so he picks the easiest job (sort of). He chooses to be the expeditor, which is the one that organizes the orders by table. Chanyeol is the one taking and serving the orders. Yixing wanted to learn how they make their food so he goes up to the executive chef (the chef was genuinely surprised that Yixing picked his job). And Junmyeon . . . picks the sous chef. In other words, he's Yixing's assistant. 

"Have fun and work hard," the manager tells them before exiting the kitchen.


Panda Wu Family.

"What in the world are we supposed to look for?" Sehun whispers.

They are now inside the movie theatre. At 11:15 AM, the theatre isn't crowded, which is good. This means that they can move around more freely.

"We only have forty-five minutes left," Kyungsoo says. Zitao bites his lower lip and looks around.

The place is dark and he can hardly see anything. And what's worse is that no one knows what they're supposed to look for. Kris has opted to ask the cameraman if they knew anything but the cameraman doesn't know anything about the clue in this place either.

"We're going to lose," Kyungsoo says, wringing his hands. They're stuck at a deadend; they don't know what to do next. Or how to proceed to the next step. It's so frustrating and nerve-wracking and--

Sehun grabs his elbow to get his attention and points to the movie screen. It has a black screen, and there were white block letters blinking at them.

Just sit and watch. Wait for the clue.

The four exchange hesitant looks and make their way to the seats nearest to the exit. What clue are they supposed to look for? They don't even know if it's the last clue, but they're hoping it will be.

Kris readies his phone, just in case he needs to use it.


Cheng Dynasty.

"We went through boxes and boxes of swim suits and other things, and we still haven't found the clue," Baekhyun sighs. He's losing energy fast, and it's not good. 

Time is running out too. It's almost noon.

"We only have two more boxes to go through," Xiumin tells him. "It's okay."

"We got this," Luhan tells them. They just need to find the box with the stamp at the bottom. Once they find the box, they bring box (and everything inside it) to their managers. And hopefully gain two or three points. 

"I hope we do," sighs Baekhyun. He pushes the box away, after neatly putting everything back, then he opens another box. Luhan opens the last box.

Baekhyun rummages through the box half-heartedly. He's so tired, and he really just wants to sleep after all the walking they did today. But then he sees a red stamp at the bottom; one that says EXO, and he shouts in excitement.

"I found it!"

"You're on a roll today, Baek," Chen laughs as he pushes himself up from the floor. His legs feel numb after being sat on for almost an hour. Xiumin hurriedly goes to the manager to tell him that they found what they were looking for, also thanking him for the time.

"Let's go to the lobby," Luhan tells them as he closes the box he opened. "We're gonna have to run."

The idea doesn't sound that appealing, but Chen and Baekhyun don't say anything.


Pistachio Mafia.

Yixing has been making the orders by himself (with a little help here and there whenever an innovative order comes up) for nearly twenty minutes. Junmyeon is a good assistant chef and it makes his job a lot easier. Baekhyun doesn't mess up with any orders and Chanyeol enjoys his own job (he received decent tips, but he's going to give them to the actual waiter).

The manager calls on them and they (sadly) abandon their temporary jobs. He thanks them for helping and welcomes them to work at his place any time if they wanted. He gives them a box of sweets.

"What's this for?" Chanyeol asks. Not that he's complaining; but is this the next clue? If so, then they're screwed. They're not going to make it.

"That's what you're going to give your managers," he tells them. "Now get going so you can win."

They all bow as they exited the kitchen and the shop (Chanyeol slips the tips he received into the waiter's hands), and they run to the hotel. It isn't that far, but they can see Luhan running with a box in his hand, closely followed by Xiumin. Chen and Baekhyun were panting and a bit farther behind, but that doesn't mean that they're not fast.

Yixing and Junmyeon speed up their pace, hardly caring whether or not the contents in the box are getting messed up. Chanyeol and Jongin push their feet to go faster, to beat the Cheng Dynasty.

Is the hotel really that far?


Panda Wu Family.

The movie pauses and it turns black again. Kris and his family sit up in their seats, not minding that it cut the good part off. The screen flashed with white block letters again.

A key underneath the seat nearest to the exitBring it to your managers.

There's only one exit. Fortunately enough, they're sitting near the exit. It's referring to Kris's seat and he bends down to feel around for the key.

The rest of his family is already standing up, ready to run out of the theatre. Kris finally takes hold of the key and he stands up, giving them a questioning glance, before they all break out into a sprint as they move out of the movie theatre.


When the Pistachio Mafia and Cheng Dynasty entered the lobby, they were surprised to see the Panda Wu Family waiting with their managers.

"You have got to be kidding me," Baekhyun says. Xiumin hands him some napkins to wipe off his sweat. 

"How long have you guys been waiting?" Jongin asks, running a hand through his hair.

"Just about five minutes ago, really," Zitao replies.

"We saw Luhan and his family running towards the hotel," Sehun says. He looks at the stuff that they were carrying and doesn't mention that they only carried a key.

"Great job to all of you," the Korean manager claps, smiling. "But Panda Wu wins the trip and the gift cards."

The others sag in disappointment (at least give them the gift cards!), but it's alright. They send their friends huge grins and clap, congratulating them.

"Use your gift cards to buy us things," jokes Chanyeol.

"We were actually going to do that," Zitao says while he fixes his hair. "But the trip is all ours."

"That's fair, I guess," Luhan smiles. Yixing sets the box of sweets down on the coffee table, and their manager tells them that they can have the sweets. (However, they wanted the stuff that the Cheng Dynasty fetched for them.)

"After this, you guys can go back to your homes and relax," the Korean manager tells them. They laugh and clap once again, energy slowly dissipating as the cameramen finish filming.