Guilt and Anger

The Color of Blood

The next morning started cloudy and dismal, while huge raindrops fell from the sky and crackled against the large windows of the bedroom, perfectly fitting the atmosphere inside the room.

Siwon was awake as he was the whole night. He laid on his back with his hands folded underneath his head, facing the ceiling with unseeing eyes. The reflections of the raindrops drew some mazy patterns onto his bare chest, a thin white blanket covered the lower part of his body.

He wasn't able to sleep this night, since every time he closed his eyes, he had to remember the last day's happenings. He felt Jungsoo's shivering body in his arms, saw the injured Mr. Park laying on the wet street and he felt his heart ache when he heard Jungsoo's desperate whispers in his ears.

He knew that he could have changed the situation... If he didn't carry out his father's instructions, Mr. Park wouldn't get injured. Siwon knew that he could have take his father's employees on, since he was strong and knew how to fight. He exercised since he was twelve years old – his father called it a preparation for his later life as part of the Cho Business – and this training built up a lot of muscular mass on his tall body.

But what was his choice? Ignoring his father's instruction, fighting against his father's employees – Employees of the Cho Business – and having to face the consequences?

Siwon smiled sadly when this thought crossed his mind. He wasn't an anxious person, but one thing he was definitely afraid of was making his father angry. Siwon knew his father's power and if he didn't follow him, he would be in large trouble. Besides, he was a Cho. When you are born as a Cho, you have no opportunities.

With a deep sight, Siwon stood up from his bed and ran his hands over his slim face. He looked inside the mirror and frowned. He had dark circles around his brown eyes that made his skin look even more pale than it already was. His hair looked messy and unwashed and he still had the taste of choler on his tongue. He frowned again and averted his eyes from his mirror image.

After brushing his teeth to displace the disgusting taste in his mouth, Siwon grabbed his gray jogging pants off the chair and put them on, just as an oversized T-Shirt he picked up from the floor. Even if he knew that his father wouldn't appreciate his sloppy outfit, he left the room and went downstairs.

Siwon entered the large dining room and smiled slightly, when he saw his twin brother Kyuhyun sitting on the end of the table, his head hidden behind today's newspaper. When he passed their waiter, who was standing with straight posture next to the door, Siwon smiled again. „Sungmin, would you bring me a cup of coffee, please?“, he asked quietly and walked towards his brother.

As Kyuhyun heard his brother's voice, he glanced above his newspaper and put it aside.
Good morning“, he said smiling and waited for his brother to sit down next to him. When he saw Siwon's condition, he lifted his right eyebrow and whistled through his teeth. „You look horrible“, he commented and grabbed his cup, taking a small sip of his coffee. „I'm glad we're just fraternal twins.“

Nice as usual...“, Siwon mumbled and kicked softly again Kyuhyun's shinbone underneath the table. Sungmin – their waiter – entered the room again and placed a cup of coffee in front of Siwon.

Do you want to have breakfast, Sir?“, he asked politely as usual and poured the proper amount of milk into Siwon's coffee. Siwon always wondered how Sungmin could keep in mind all the family members' preferences.

The young man was working for the Cho family since... Siwon didn't even know. They were approximately in the same age and he, Kyuhyun, Sungmin and later Donghae spent their whole childhood together. Sungmin's father was working for the Cho family and when he passed away some years ago, Sungmin took over his position. Siwon guessed that Sungmin was about 16 at this time.

I don't want to have breakfast, thank you“, Siwon replied to Sungmin's question and took a sip of his coffee. Sungmin bowed slightly and left the room, followed by Kyuhyun's observing eyes. Siwon smiled slightly and put his cup back onto the table.

Father said, today's meeting will be at 8 p.m.“, Kyuhyun said and twisted his mouth in disgust. „I don't even know why I have to join these stupid, senseless-“, he started to mumble but Siwon interrupted him. „You are a Cho“, he said silently and looked at his brother. „Stop talking like this, father's already displeased because of your attitude...“

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. „He can't force me t-“

He CAN force you!“, Siwon interrupted hauntingly and looked in his brother's eyes. „Don't be stupid.“

Both man kept still for some seconds, before Kyuhyun stood up from his chair and flattened his clothes. „ this business“, he said disdainfully and left the room.

Kyuhyun...“, Siwon said with a deep sight and hid his face in his hands...


 

* * * * * * * * * *


 

In the cellar of the Cho mansion was a special room that Mr. Cho set up especially for their business meetings. It had no windows and the walls were sound-proof, so that not a single word could leave this room.

Those meetings were used to discuss the past tasks and their consequences.

The appointment they had today was only a small one – the only members were Mr. Cho, three of his closest employees and the four brothers. They sat around a huge black table and waited for the last member to join. The atmosphere was tense as usual, since neither the brothers nor the employees could relax in the presence of the family's head.

Where is Kyuhyun?“, Mr. Cho asked angered and looked at Siwon, since his twin was the only one who had not entered the room yet. Apologetically, Siwon shrugged his shoulders. „He'll join soon“, Siwon mumbled and looked at the door. 'Come on now, dumb-', he thought to himself and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

This little - “, his father spit and took a deep breath. „I'd suggest we just start.“

With a sudden smile, he stood up and crossed his hands behind his back. „Today's newspaper wrote about a man's 'horrible accident' this night.“ He looked at Siwon and smirked. Slowly he began to circle the table. „I guess we all know who was meant and at this point, I want to congratulate my second son who is going to join our business now.“

He glanced at Siwon again and nodded slightly. „The task didn't go according to the plan, but I think we managed it quite... satisfying.“

Nausea crawled up Siwon's threat when he heard his father's smug voice. Again he had to think about Jungsoo and his father and he closed his eyes for some seconds. Guilt and shame overwhelmed him and made him nearly choke.

We didn't get their installment but fortunately we're not reliant on their money right now.“ Mr. Cho continued smirking and made a small break. When he reached his seat again, he sat down and laid his arms onto the chair's armrests. He chuckled. „I hope Mr. Park is able to work... Otherwise it'll be hard for him to pay the installment next week.“

Underneath the table, Siwon dragged his fingernails into his tights. His father grossed him out. He never hated his father more than in these seconds.
He started to breath deep and rhythmically, trying to avoid losing his temper. No one said a word.

Right before Mr. Cho opened his mouth again, the door opened and the 'lost son' Kyuhyun finally entered the room. He lifted one eyebrow when all seven pair of eyes turned around and focused him. „What's up?“, he asked bored and took the seat next to Siwon. Their father leaned forward and fixed his son with angry eyes. „Next time, son, you'll be on time. Got it?“ His voice was dangerously low.

With a light smirk, Kyuhyun leaned back on his chair and focused his father. He seemed to be the only one who didn't respect Mr. Cho.

I will not join your precious business anyway. I don't know why I have to be here, so why can't I just miss these meetings?“, he asked provocatively and earned a light kick underneath the table. Displeased, he looked at Siwon, who hardly noticeable shook his head. 'Be careful', his eyes seemed to say but Kyuhyun looked back to their father.

The door opened again and Sungmin entered the room, carrying a tray with eight glasses and a bottle of wine. He placed it quietly on the side-table and started to pour in some wine for the participants.

You are a Cho“, Mr. Cho said still quietly and a vein started to pulse on his left temple. He was about to explode. „Show some respect and appreciate the life you're able to live. Without my 'precious business' you would be an ordinary kid in the ghettos of Seoul.“

His father's words made Kyuhyun laugh.

So I would maybe be one of your clients that's last opportunity to get money is making a deal with you?“, he asked ironically and grinned at his father. „Anyhow, I didn't know that anyone in Seoul is poor except us.“

These disrespectful words made Mr. Cho go berserk. He rapidly stood up from his chair and punched his hands onto the tabletop. „LEAVE THIS ROOM“, he yelled at his son and small drops of spittle rained on the table. They heard a silent clangor when Sungmin winced at the sudden noise.

Defensively lifting up his hands, Kyuhyun stood up and – as always – flattened his clothes. "Thanks", he said with another slight smirk and bowed to his father, before he went towards the door. „Sungmin, bring some wine to my room“, he said casually in passing him and left the room.

Donghae, Hangeng and Siwon exchanged glances with each other. This was going to have consequences...


 

- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - 


 

Second chapter: Check.
I guess you all know who's the family's rebel now, don't you?