Credits and Costs

The Color of Blood

Slow footsteps were constantly growling louder, while Siwon shifted his weight from his left to his right leg. He frowned a little behind his dark sunglasses and observed the persons that were slowly going up to Siwon and his father.

The left person, a man in his mid-fourties, wore plain but quite fashionable clothes and his hair was really short and ordinary. His posture was very straight and confident, but in the dim light of the street lamps, Siwon could see some beads of sweat building up on his forehead.

The man looked like a perfectly normal man, and if Siwon didn't know that this was Mr. Park, Siwon would have never considered him as a client of his father.

Mr. Park's eyes switched constantly between Siwon's father and Siwon, while he flattened his clothes and bridged the last meters between them. In a respectful, but also safe, distance, he paused his steps and bowed his head slightly.

The man next to him was younger than Mr. Park – approximately around Siwon's age. He bore a huge resemblance to the elder man, even if his hair was dyed and a little longer. Siwon could clearly see the strain on the man's face, but though he couldn't deny his prettiness.

When Siwon eyed him through his dark sunglasses, the young man raised his glance and looked at him. Siwon shivered.

Mr. Park!”
Siwon's father broke the silence between them and stepped forward, putting forth his right hand. “It's a pleasure to see you again.” The sarcastic tone in his voice was hardly ignorable.

Mr. Cho.”, their client replied monotonously and shook his opposites hand, before he put his hands back in his pockets. The man next to Mr. Park squared his shoulders, when Mr. Cho turned towards him, smirking slightly and eying him from top to bottom.

You must be Park Jungsoo, right?”, Mr. Cho asked unnecessarily and shook his hand, too. Jungsoo nodded slightly.

Mr. Cho resorted to Mr. Park again and clapped his hands in an ironical cheerful gesture. “It's already late, let's get it over now”, he said with a thin-lipped smile and raised his eyebrows, when Mr. Park's glance became obviously uneasy.

We... had some problems with our bills lately”, Mr. Park said quietly and looked at Mr. Cho. Unknowingly, he wiped his sweaty palm on his pants. “If you could grant a delay, I will give you the installment next week.” Mr. Park cleared his dry throat, a single bead of sweat was slowly rolling down his temple.

Siwon looked at his father, cold sweat was building up in his nape. This didn't go according to their plan.

Just like he had reckoned on, Mr. Cho raised his eyebrows and sighted dispraisingly. “We have a contract, Mr. Park”, he said reproachfully and looked at his opposite.

Mr. Park cleared his throat again and hurried to answer. “I know, Mr. Cho and I promise to give you the installment next week. We just need some time, you know, the café had just opened three weeks ago and it needs some time to –“

Mr. Cho waved aside with a disgusted expression on his face. “I'm sick and tired of all those excuses”, he said pityful. “And the contract says that you have to pay it NOW, Mr. Park. It wouldn't be fair towards my other clients, if I allowed you some extra time now.”

Siwon noticed a short nodding due from his father and all of a sudden, two black-dressed men appeared behind Mr. Park and his son. They soundlessly stepped out of the deep shadows in their backs, and when Jungsoo noticed them, he stiffed and looked anxiously at Mr. Cho.

Siwon swallowed hard and clenched his fists in his coat's pockets. This wasn't supposed to happen.

Something went extremely wrong right now.

You love your son, right?”, Mr Cho continued his monologue and glanced at Jungsoo, eying him from top to bottom again. “How old is he? 22?”

Without thinking twice, Mr. Park stepped in front of Jungsoo and tried to shield him from Mr. Cho's eyes. “This ain't none of his business!”, he answered quickly, with a high and anxious voice, his face contorted by fear.

Defensively, Mr. Cho raised his hands. “I won't ever hurt a son in the presence of his father”, he said calmingly and placed his hand on Siwon's shoulder. “I know how deep a father's love can be, but... Mr. Park, you left me no choice. You have to face the consequences...”

Mr. Cho smiled apologetically at Jungsoo and looked at Siwon again. “Hold him down.”

Suddenly, everything happened at once.

When his father nodded his head, the two men that stood unmovable behind Mr. Park and his son grabbed Mr. Park and held him tight. Jungsoo shouted and tried to free his father, but Siwon stepped forward automatically and grabbed his arm, pressing the shorter man's back hard against his own body.

'Hold him down', he heard his father's command in his ears again and he looked shocked at Mr. Park. Jungsoo squirmed heavily in Siwon's grip.

Jungsoo screamed deafeningly when one of the men out and punched his fist into Mr. Park's stomach, causing a loud moan from Mr. Park. He grimaced his face in pain, before a second punch hit his body and his legs gave in – only the strong arms of the man in his back were keeping him from falling to the ground. Another punch hit his head and blood was dripping on the ground, moans were mixing up with Jungsoo's helpless screams.

I really don't enjoy this, Mr. Park”, Mr. Cho said loudly to drown out the fight's noises, but the smile on his disproved his words.

Siwon felt how Jungsoo's legs were about to give in, and without any further thoughts, he turned around and pressed Jungsoo's head against his chest, so that he, firstly, can't see the horrible scene anymore and, secondly, his left ear was covered by Siwon's coat.

Siwon freed one hand and pressed it against Jungsoo's right ear, too, so that he hopefully didn't have to hear his father's moans and the horrible punches anymore.

Don't look at it...”, Siwon whispered scarcely audible and heard a deep sobbing due from Jungsoo. Automatically, he leaned his head on Jungsoo's and closed his eyes. “It's over soon...”

Jungsoo's resistance had been broken completely and his exhausted body was completely immovable.

After countless eternal seconds, the noises behind Siwon and Jungsoo stopped.

Siwon turned around and released Jungsoo from his grip, while he stared at Mr. Park's curled up shape on the dirty street. Blood was covering the ground and he didn't move.

Nausea raised in Siwon's throat and he started to shiver, still staring at Mr. Park.

Jungsoo stumbled to his father and fell on his knees. With shivering hands, he lifted Mr. Park's head on his lap and caressed his bleeding face. “Dad...?”, he whispered quietly, his voice filled with shock and fear.

Next time, you're father better have the money“, Mr. Cho said impassively to Jungsoo and looked at Siwon. „Come one, closing time“, he said smirking and stepped up to the dark car standing on the wayside. The two men that abused Mr. Park disappeared in the shadows again.

B-but he needs help!“, Siwon stuttered quietly and looked back to Mr. Park. He stepped forward to him and Jungsoo, but his father's dangerous low voice made him stop. „It's his own fault.“

He stared at Siwon for some seconds and made plain that Siwon wasn't allowed to help. „Get on the car.“

Without a final glance at Mr. Park, Mr. Cho car's door and started the motor. After some seconds, Siwon turned around and followed his father, leaving Jungsoo and his injured father behind. He entered the car and closed his eyes, trying to hold back his upcoming tears.

 


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


 

Are you alright?!“

As soon as the heavy front door shot behind Siwon and his father, Donghae ran down the long stairs and fell into Siwon's arms. The older man smiled sadly at his younger brother and softly caressed his back, hugging him as tight as possible. „I'm alright“, he mumbled quietly and pushed Donghae carefully away.

With tired eyes, Siwon ruffled Donghae's dark hair and took out his coat, throwing it carelessly onto a chair in the hall. He turned his head and looked to his father, who tidily hung his jacket into the wardrobe. „Good job, Son“, he said with an appreciatory nod and went into his home office, without mentioning the horrible task at all.

When the two boys were alone, Donghae grabbed Siwon's hand and pulled him to the large living room. They sat down on one of the expensive couches while the clock 2.

Why are you still awake?“, Siwon asked silently and leaned forward to pour some of his father's Brandy into a glass.
He took a small sip and briefly squinched up his face when the acrid liquid run down his throat.

Donghae punched his shoulder so that the glass of Brandy slopped.
Yah! Donghae!“ Siwon quickly leaned forward so that the liquid didn't hit his pants. „What was that for?!“

Do you think I go to SLEEP when my elder brother is on a task?!“, Donghae asked angered and knitted his eyebrows. Siwon put the drippy glass onto the coffee table. „You always sleep when Hangeng is having a task“, Siwon answered displeased and looked at his brother. Donghae rolled his eyes. „Hangeng is used to it.“

They heard silent footsteps and looked at the door.

Thanks for your worries.“, Hangeng said grinning and entered the room. Donghae chuckled and grabbed a pillows to throw it at Hangeng. „You know what I mean“, he said placably and moved over, so that Hangeng could take a seat next to him.
Concerned, the eldest of the four brothers looked at Siwon. „You're alright?“

Siwon nodded slightly and ran one hand over his slim face. „There'd been some difficulties...“, he mumbled and looked at Hangeng. „They couldn't pay the installment... It was this Park-thing, you remember?“, he asked Hangeng and lifted his glass of Brandy to take another sip.

Ah, father gave them a credit to finance their shop, right?“, Hangeng answered, remembering the last conference with his parents and their employees. Siwon nodded again. „Their café“, he said quietly and his glance became absent.

You'll hear the details in the meeting tomorrow... I need to sleep now“, Siwon said after some seconds of silence and stood up from the couch. With a light smile, he wished his brothers a good night and went upstairs to his room.

As soon as the door shut, Siwon rushed into the bordering bathroom and vomited into the toilet bowl. He choked while waves of nausea flush his body. In his mind's eye, he still saw Jungsoo bending over his injured father. He sobbed while hot tears ran down his cheeks and he wasn't able banish the remembrance of the past hours.

Again, he heard some quiet footsteps behind him, before strong arms wrapped around his shivering body and Hangeng knelt down next to him. He pulled Siwon into his arms and slowly caresses his brother's back. „You get used to it...“, he mumbled sadly and kissed Siwon's head, holding him as tight as possible.

 

- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - 


 

So, the first chapter.
I really hope you like it (even if it's content isn't that... erh... likeable...).