Sympathy and Unsureness

The Color of Blood

 When the last customers were grabbing their jackets and left the café, Jungsoo bowed politely and wished them a nice evening. In a respectful distance and without rushing them, he slowly followed them towards the door and closed it silently behind their backs.

 

The constant smile on his face disappeared, as soon as he turned the key around, and with a deep sight, Jungsoo leaned his back against the door.

This day had totally worn him out...

 

Are you alright?”

 

Jungsoo looked at the bar and focused Yesung, who was putting on his jacket and grabbed his umbrella from the can next to the bar. Jungsoo nodded slightly and smiled a little.

I'm just tired”, he answered in going back to the bar and hugged his friend. “See you tomorrow.”, Jungsoo mumbled smiling and waited for Yesung to leave the café through it's backdoor, before he sat down on one of the empty chairs and hid his face in his slender hands.

 

After Siwon left the café, Jungsoo had to fudge an authentic story why Siwon chuck his job up all at once and Jungsoo was released when his father seemed to believe his lie.

He had told him that Siwon was too busy with his studies right now and that he couldn't handle his job here anymore – actually a quite comprehensible excuse – but though Jungsoo felt horribly bad about lying to his father.

 

He hated lies and that he had to do it just because Siwon lied to him, too, made the whole case even worse.

 

Jungsoo slowly got on his feet again and started to put the chairs on the tables, so that he was able to clean the floor a little faster.

His thoughts were circling in his head and the situation with Siwon on this evening was repeating itself over and over again.

 

Actually, Jungsoo was a trustful person and he used to think the best of everyone in his surroundings, but when Siwon told him about his real identity, he couldn't hide his shock. He was the son of Mr. Cho – the person, Jungsoo hated the most on this planet – and Siwon had wormed himself into Jungsoo's trust with a bucket of lies and fictional stories.

 

Jungsoo was sure, that the person he met some months ago (the person he was about to fall in love with...) and the son of Mr. Cho couldn't be the same.

 

A silent knocking was heard due from the door and Jungsoo raised his glance in surprise. Through the toned glass, he saw a teenager standing in front of the door, smiling and waving at Jungsoo as soon as he was looking up.

 

Jungsoo turned the chair he was currently holding and put it with it's seating on the tabletop, before he went up to the door and shook his head. “We're closed!”, he called out through the closed door, but the young man only continued to smile.


“I'm searching for my brother! He's working here!”

 

Jungsoo frowned a little and hesitated for some seconds, before he grabbed his bunch of keys again and unlocked the door. He let the teenager step into the empty café and eyed him a little skeptical.

 

He left about twenty minutes ago...”, Jungsoo said silently and stood a little indecisively in front of the door, his hand still lingering on the doorknob. “I didn't know Yesung had a brother anyway.”

 

The teenager raised his eyebrows and shook his head. “I don't know Yesung”, he said laughing and took off his scarf. “My brother's name is Siwon. He said he is working here.”

As if the young man suddenly remembered something, he bowed to Jungsoo and gave him another cheerful smile. “I'm Donghae, by the way.”

 

Jungsoo stared at Donghae and a thick lump built up in his throat. 'He is a Cho', he thought immediately and his fist clenched a little around the doorknob.

Suddenly filled with mistrust, Jungsoo observed the teenager and tried to find any bad intention in his face, but Donghae kept his warm smile and waited patiently for Jungsoo to answer him.

 

I'm... Jungsoo”, he said a little hesitantly and threw a brief glance outside.

He had two choices: First, throwing Donghae out of the café and let him care for himself; second, letting him call Siwon and wait here until he arrived.

 

Jungsoo eyed Donghae pensively, before he slowly shook his head and closed the café's door.

I'm sorry, Siwon had already gone home”, he said quietly and pointed at one of the tables, on which he hadn't put the chairs yet.

 

Donghae looked surprised and took out his jacket. “But he told me to take me along because he had to work until 10 p.m.”, he said confused and sat down on one of the chairs. “I had dance practice today.”

 

Jungsoo shrugged his shoulders slightly and crossed his arms in front of his chest.
“Mh”, he mumbled silently and leaned his shoulder against the door. “Can't you take a bus?”

 

As soon as Jungsoo said this sentence, he knew that even if Donghae agreed, Jungsoo wouldn't let him take a bus right now. It was already late and it was quite irresponsible to let a teenager go home alone at night-time.

 

Anyway, Donghae shook his head and sighted deeply.

May I call him? I've left my phone at home”, Donghae said with an apologetic smile and Jungsoo nodded slightly. He pulled out the smartphone from his skirt's pocket and searched for Siwon's number in his agenda. He handed the phone to Donghae and pointed a little unfocussed on the bar. “Would you mind if I continue working? I need to get ready.”

 

Donghae smiled and shook his head, pressing the green button on the phone's display and lifting it up to his ear.

No, it's not Jungsoo”, Donghae said when Siwon had obviously answered his phone, followed by a silent chuckling. “Didn't you forget anything?”

 

Donghae laughed hearty and leaned back on his chair, while he playfully tipped his fingers on the table in front of him. “I'm glad Jungsoo was still in the café, otherwise YOU would have paid the taxi!”

 

Jungsoo threw a brief glance at the laughing teenager and a light smile appeared on his face. He grabbed a bucket and a wiper from a hidden cupboard behind the bar and filled some water into the bucket.

 

Jungsoo couldn't hear Siwon's answer, when Donghae waved aside and smiled softly. “It's okay, but you owe me one now! Anyhow, could you pick me up? I could wait in front of the café.”

 

Jungsoo dipped the wiper into the hot water and looked at Donghae again. He waved his hand to catch the teenager's attention and with a brief gesture on the café's floor, he implied that Donghae could wait INSIDE the café.

Donghae nodded slightly and gave Jungsoo a grateful smile.

 

Could this cheerful young boy really be the son of such an ?
Jungsoo looked at Donghae for some more seconds, who kept talking with his brother. All of his sentences ended with a silent chuckling or laughter, and Jungsoo couldn't help but smile at this sight.

Yes, Donghae was definitely the brother of Siwon...

 

Shaking his head to wipe away his thoughts, Jungsoo continued to clean the floor from countless layers of dust and dirt from hundreds of shoes that had walked through the café today. He winced a little, when Donghae was suddenly standing next to him and clapped his hands.

 

Where can I help?!”, Donghae asked full of beans and smiled brightly, running his glance over the bar. Without waiting for an answer, he stepped behind it and grabbed the cleaning rag from the sink.

 

Jungsoo knelt down next to the bucket and wrung out the wiper. “You really don't have to wait”, he asserted towards Donghae and looked at the teenager, but Donghae just shrugged his shoulders and started to clean the sink from milk splashes and rests of coffee powder. “Siwon needs at least 20 minutes to come here, so I can make myself useful, can't I?”

 

A light smile appeared on Jungsoo's face and he continued his work. After some minutes, he simply started to talk with Donghae about some irrelevant things, just to keep the silence out of the room.

 

Jungsoo noticed, that it was really pleasant to talk to Donghae, since he was a very positive and open-minded person. They talked a little about Donghae's hobby – dancing – and about Jungsoo's past life in his former hometown, when they heard another knocking on the glass door.

 

Jungsoo's heart doubled it's pace immediately and he took a deep breath, before he raised his glance and looked directly into Siwon's eyes.

He wiped his wet hands on a clean towel and flattened his shirt while he was slowly heading to the door and turned the key in it's lock again.


Jungsoo had been quite sure that he would meet Siwon again – at the latest on their next appointment with Mr. Cho –, but seeing him now directly after their separation caused a sick feeling in his stomach.

 

Hi...”, he mumbled silently and left the door open, so that Siwon was able to step in.

The tall man nodded slightly and made a shy attempt to touch Jungsoo's hand, but the elder man pulled back his hand. Hardly noticeable, Jungsoo shook his head and shut the door behind Siwon's back.

 

Donghae raised his glance from the cups he was currently taking out of the dishwasher. “Hey!”, he greeted his brother with a huge smile and pointed at the clean dishes. “I'll just finish this, okay?”

 

I'll manage the rest, Donghae, thanks”, Jungsoo said immediately and nodded confirmatively, throwing another brief glance at Siwon.

'He didn't lie today...', shot through Jungsoo's head and his breath caught a little, but he decided to stay strong and ignore the silent voice in the back of his head. Even IF Siwon didn't lie today when he claimed to put money into their cash boxes, he had lied all the time before and he was the son of a monster. Jungsoo wasn't able to trust him. He wasn't safe with Siwon...

 

Donghae headed to his stuff that was still laying on the chair and put on his jacket and his scarf. He grabbed his bag and looked at his brother with a kind smile. “Ready?”

 

Siwon nodded slightly and reached out his hand, silently jingling with a bunch of keys. “Wait in the car, okay? I'll come in a second”, he said silently and when Jungsoo followed Siwon's pointer, he saw a modern black sporting car in front of the café.

 

A slight grin appeared on Donghae's face and he teasingly wiggled his eyebrows. “Okay, brother heart”, he answered laughing and grabbed the keys to get into the car.

Siwon didn't avert his eyes from Jungsoo and when he heard the silent sound of a shutting door in his back, he slowly made a step towards the young man in front of him.

 

I know you said that you don't want to talk to me again”, Siwon said quickly to forestall Jungsoo. Pacifying, Siwon raised his hands and sighted deeply. “Just give me ONE chance to explain it sensibly to you, okay? You don't need to believe me and you don't need to say anything to it if you don't want, but PLEASE let me explain it, okay?”

 

Jungsoo crossed his arms in a protective gesture and looked into Siwon's suppliant eyes. He cleared his throat and straightened his back a little, trying to appear more confident as he actually was. “I don't know what it might be good for”, he answered honestly and ran his glance through the café, just to avoid looking at Siwon again.

 

We'll meet tomorrow after your shift, okay?”, Siwon said without replying to Jungsoo's comment and all of a sudden, Jungsoo felt the younger man's hand on his cheek. Unknowingly, he leaned his head into the warm palm and closed his eyes, feeling how his inner burdens were slowly breaking.

 

Siwon, this isn't --”

 

I'll come around here at 10 p.m., okay?”

 

Jungsoo noticed too late that he was already nodding. He opened his eyes and looked at Siwon, before he felt Siwon's hand detaching from his own cheek and Siwon turned around to leave the café.

Jungsoo observed him while he was entering his car and he raised his hand briefly, when Donghae waved him goodbye and smiled at him again.

 

 

You like him, right?”, Donghae asked as soon as Siwon got into the car and a huge grin appeared on his face. Siwon threw a brief glance at Jungsoo, who was still standing behind the glass door and waited for them to drive off.

 

Yes, I do...”, Siwon answered sadly and started the motor, before he drove his car out of the parking spot. Donghae chuckled silently and gently punched his brother's shoulder.

 

Believe me, you don't have to be sad about it, Siwon”, Donghae said laughing and pointed over his shoulder at the café.

 

See how he is looking after you – he likes you, too.”

 

- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - 

 

Since I'm not able to get over him currently, I just had to mention Lee Donghae again <33

So, another WonTeuk meeting... what might happen??